interesting things to see/do in Victoria and Vancouver, Canada

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sabhen

interesting things to see/do in Victoria and Vancouver, Canada

Post by sabhen » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm

We will be travelling to these two cities in the near future. I like to ask for interesting things to see and do assuming one day stay in each of these cities. Thanks.

radiowave

Re: interesting things to see/do in Victoria and Vancouver, Canada

Post by radiowave » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm

If you like gardens, the Buchart Garden in Victoria is one of the very best we've seen in our travels: http://www.butchartgardens.com/. It's a little bit out of town but there is easy bus service. The museum in town is quite good. And just hanging around the harbor is fun. Grab lunch at one of the restaurants right on the water and watch the float planes land and takeoff . . . maybe take a tour on one, not sure of the $$ though.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

We enjoyed a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Vancouver. There's much to see and you can come and go as you please the entire day. The Empress Hotel in Victoria is worth seeing.
Gill

RCL

Post by RCL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:56 pm

radiowave wrote:If you like gardens, the Buchart Garden in Victoria is one of the very best we've seen in our travels: http://www.butchartgardens.com/. It's a little bit out of town but there is easy bus service. The museum in town is quite good. And just hanging around the harbor is fun. Grab lunch at one of the restaurants right on the water and watch the float planes land and takeoff . . . maybe take a tour on one, not sure of the $$ though.

+1 on the Buchartgardens
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Superb: Museum of Anthropology

but tripadvisor.com is the "go to" place for your query.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 pm

The Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria is one of the best natural history museums I've been to.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 am

livesoft wrote:Superb: Museum of Anthropology
The one at UBC in Vancouver? Fantastic. There's also the Royal BC Museum in Victoria which is wonderful as well (letsgobobby beat me to that suggestion :annoyed )

Other things in Vancouver:
- If you are going during summer, and appreciate Asian food and/or culture, I would recommend the Richmond Night Market. Lots of fun. If you like dumplings, there is also the "Dumpling Trail" in Richmond (think a pub crawl but with asian dumplings instead of beer.)
- There are some nice gardens, I like the VanDusen gardens and Sun Yat-Sen Chinese gardens. I believe the UBC gardens are also very close to the Museum of Anthropology.
- There are some canyons north of town where you can cross a canyon on a suspension bridge. I've been to Lynn Canyon which is a municipal park, it's a neat experience and quite beautiful there.
- Some more traditional touristy things are visiting Stanley Park (the aquarium is supposed to be nice though I've never been), Robson Street for shopping, and Granville Island.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Afternoon tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria is a must. We did Victoria and Vancouver on a trip and also went to Whistler, about 80 miles north. It is the #1 ski resort in North America. We visited in summer but it was still a great place to visit.

You have to plan ahead and book ahead for ferries between Vancouver and Victoria. They have a limited schedule so you need to work that into your schedule.

This is a very lovely part of North American and you should find it enjoyable. It is very ethnically diverse.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 am

Whakamole wrote: - There are some canyons north of town where you can cross a canyon on a suspension bridge. I've been to Lynn Canyon which is a municipal park, it's a neat experience and quite beautiful there.
+1 for the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. I went to Vancouver as a teenager, and this was my favorite memory from the trip.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:01 pm

We enjoy visiting the pubs in Victoria. There are several excellent pubs we frequent. We also enjoy the museum. And high tea.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 pm

I agree on Whistler and the ferry boats. Odd that the scenery was spectacular from the boats around all the islands and did Whistler in the summer as well. Never been a ski buff but the zip lines were fabulous. It truly is a beautiful part of the world. We were there in advance of the 2010 Olympics and the roads north and back were construction zones but have to be great now. Enjoy.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:11 pm

I went to Vancouver last summer - it was my first and only time there. We did Stanley Park, a bus tour of the city, the Capilano suspension bridge, and while we were in Stanley park we saw a girl walking past with an Aquarium uniform on - when we inquired about cost she said, "oh I can get you in for free" so we walked around to the front door and she used some free monthly passes that she had to get us in. That was a very pleasantly surprising kind act from a local. We also did Grouse mountain and a sunset boat tour - those two were my personal favorite but also the most expensive.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Loik098 wrote:
Whakamole wrote: - There are some canyons north of town where you can cross a canyon on a suspension bridge. I've been to Lynn Canyon which is a municipal park, it's a neat experience and quite beautiful there.
+1 for the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. I went to Vancouver as a teenager, and this was my favorite memory from the trip.
Another vote for the suspension bridge. Went as a child, still remember it.

hmw

Post by hmw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm

I lived in Vancouver for 2 years and my wife grew up there.

You have limited time at each city, and will have to be selective.

Vancouver
- Stanley park, the aquarium is nice if you have kids.
- The Anthropology Mueseum at UBC. The museum is pretty small and can be done in an hour. UBC campus has pretty nice views.
- I would skip Capilano Bridge myself. It is far from downtown and it is a bit of tourist trap. I went there when I was a teen.
- Vancouver has some of the best Asian restaurants in NA.
- Granville Island

Victoria
- Butchart Gardens. They have fireworks every Saturday in the summer.
- Hatley castle just outside the city. X-men was filmed here.
http://hatleypark.ca

- Empress hotel

runner26

Post by runner26 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Take an Orca viewing boat out of Victoria. Get the smaller pontoon boats to feel up close. They park ahead of the moving pod, turn off the motors and the Orcas come to you. My most incredible memory. Jumping near the boat and gliding under.

PS, I loved running through the old redwoods in Stanley Park, and along the waterfront.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 pm

If you are into surfing/paddleboarding, and like a little outdoor town, check out Tofino. Ucleulet is a fun little town for a laid back day trip from there.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Loik098 wrote:
The Capilano suspension bridge is nice, and on public transit, but a bit spendy these days ($40/adult). The Lynn Canyon suspension bridge is free, I think likely equally nice, but may require a car to get there.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

Post by 123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 pm

We flew into Vancouver, stayed a few days, and then took a bus/ferry to get to Victoria where we stayed for a few days before taking a buss/ferry back to Vancouver for the flight home. We were able to get by just fine without a rental car for the whole trip. Whether that would work for you depends on your itinerary.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:15 am

We were in Victoria about two weeks ago (so early April) for about 28 hours. Came in on the ferry from Friday Harbor and left on the ferry to Port Angeles. Butchart Gardens were surprisingly nice for being so early in the season. We also did high tea at the Fairmont Empress which was much more pleasant than I expected. I was kind of afraid it would be snooty and a lot of people crowded in but it was very pleasant and felt personal. The Empress itself is worth a walk through. Also spent some time walking along the harbor- there is a very nice path along the water. We were interested in the Royal Museum and the castle but ended up not having time for either. Our time was a little more cramped than I originally anticipated due to time for customs when returning. We had to be at the ferry terminal 90 minutes prior to sailing time (with car).

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am

Capilano Suspension Bridge ... I did this many years ago. It is quite high above a ravine and swings and sways (as it is designed to do). When we were there, a group of school kids on the bridge were trying to make it sway as much as possible. In fact they were swaying the bridge so much, a member of staff was yelling at them to stop (to no avail). I could handle it, but my companion was too fearful to walk across.

I don't remember what we paid. This is just friendly warning before you drop $40 or so to consider whether everyone in your party is up to the experience.

One thing that annoys me to no end is guidebooks/websites/anecdotes/whatever that recommend a site, but fail to warn that it might not be for everyone. :annoyed

I have no warnings about the other activities suggested. 8-). I remember Vancouver/Victoria fondly. We had a car and drove around the island, which is very beautiful.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8