USAA 2.5% unlimited Cash back Card - Weird...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WolfgangPauli

USAA 2.5% unlimited Cash back Card - Weird...

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:30 am

So, I usually do not chase this kind of stuff but I saw this when I logged into USAA and I figured it was really good. I already have a USAA CC so I thought when I applied, I could just switch it over. But, since I applied on line.. it did not give me a choice.. I just applied for a new card.

Then something weird happened. Rather than approve me, I received a notice saying they received my application and will get back to me in 5-7 days. Here is my situation:

1. 0 debt
2. Fica score in the 800's
3. Significant income - All direct deposited to USAA and has been for almost 40 years.
4. All insurance with USAA

How could they possibly have to "think" about this? So, my question is.. does everyone get this or are they truly thinking about it? I have my credit frozen but usually if you already have a relationship they can still access your credit. Perhaps I need to thaw it...

Any thoughts?
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

jerryk68

Re: USAA 2.5% unlimited Cash back Card - Weird...

Post by jerryk68 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 am

I have no inside knowledge but it's not a USAA card it's a VISA card. Visa still has to approve it. We have similar history and I received my card within ten days. I would unfreeze your credit until approved.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 am

Credit card companies do weird things at times. About a year or so ago I was refreshing the wardrobe at TJ Maxx and since the purchase was going to be in the few hundred range decided I would take the additional 10% new card applicant discount beside my senior Monday discount. Did the appropriate paperwork at the register (FICO 800's, retired, bountiful income and minimal expenses, etc.) and about two weeks later they wrote back they couldn't issue the card since I was underage. LOL, I think I was 68 at that point of time so I made a copy of my driver's license and mailed it back asking them to reconsider. Never heard from them again so go figure, as they say. OTOH, in the Fidelity changeover to VISA from AMEX they sent me two accounts with nearly 6 digits of line.

BTW... anyone know if you can join USAA if you were never in the military? I joined PenFed by a donation to Friends of the Military, can that be done with USAA?

Inverted Pyramid

Post by Inverted Pyramid » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:56 am

It is because of the frozen reports. I have all 3 reports frozen plus some secondary bureaus frozen. I'm able to open check/savings without unfreezing them with lenders I already have accounts with because they only require a soft pull and have that access. With a credit card they need to do a hard pull that will require you unfreeze your report(s) or give them a one time password. If you don't take action they will deny you as they can't access your reports. You must call up Usaa and give them your password they will process it and give you a yes or no on the spot.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 am

It is also true that credit card companies consider total credit extended, number of credit cards, number of recently opened credit cards, etc.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:23 am

midareff wrote:Credit card companies do weird things at times. About a year or so ago I was refreshing the wardrobe at TJ Maxx and since the purchase was going to be in the few hundred range decided I would take the additional 10% new card applicant discount beside my senior Monday discount. Did the appropriate paperwork at the register (FICO 800's, retired, bountiful income and minimal expenses, etc.) and about two weeks later they wrote back they couldn't issue the card since I was underage. LOL, I think I was 68 at that point of time so I made a copy of my driver's license and mailed it back asking them to reconsider. Never heard from them again so go figure, as they say. OTOH, in the Fidelity changeover to VISA from AMEX they sent me two accounts with nearly 6 digits of line.

BTW... anyone know if you can join USAA if you were never in the military? I joined PenFed by a donation to Friends of the Military, can that be done with USAA?
I've several USAA ads where relatives of members were allowed to join. Not sure how close the relative has to be but children of members, siblings, parents etc. probably qualify. Much simpler than Navy FCU.

edit: USAA website seems to indicate membership is restricted to active and former Military, as well as spouses and children of members.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 am

pshonore wrote: BTW... anyone know if you can join USAA if you were never in the military? I joined PenFed by a donation to Friends of the Military, can that be done with USAA?
I've several USAA ads where relatives of members were allowed to join. Not sure how close the relative has to be but children of members, siblings, parents etc. probably qualify. Much simpler than Navy FCU.

edit: USAA website seems to indicate membership is restricted to active and former Military, as well as spouses and children of members.[/quote]

Thanks.. that was what I had found last time I looked but was hoping someone knew better. Unlimited 2.5% on everything is very enticing.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am

jerryk68 wrote:I have no inside knowledge but it's not a USAA card it's a VISA card. Visa still has to approve it. We have similar history and I received my card within ten days. I would unfreeze your credit until approved.
Visa has nothing to do with it. All Visa does is process the payments. It's USAA who is lending the money. The only processors who actually lend the money are Discover and American Express. There is no master card or visa bank.

OP it's absolutely because your credit reports are frozen.

Hat

Post by Hat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 am

pshonore wrote:I've several USAA ads where relatives of members were allowed to join. Not sure how close the relative has to be but children of members, siblings, parents etc. probably qualify. Much simpler than Navy FCU.
NFCU's requirements are much more flexible than USAA's.

USAA membership is passed to spouses and downward only to immediate family (parents -> children -> children's children), but not upward (children -> parent -> grandparent).

NFCU allows both upward and downward plus siblings and household members.

Hat

Post by Hat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:I already have a USAA CC so I thought when I applied, I could just switch it over.
USAA does not allow converting one card to another. Keep in mind that once you have the second card open, they also do not allow consolidating credit cards or reallocating credit line between cards.

Hat

Post by Hat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:I have my credit frozen
Call USAA and ask which credit bureau they attempted to check. They usually use Equifax. If it is, unfreeze your Equifax report, wait at least 4 hours, then reapply.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Hat wrote:
pshonore wrote:I've several USAA ads where relatives of members were allowed to join. Not sure how close the relative has to be but children of members, siblings, parents etc. probably qualify. Much simpler than Navy FCU.
NFCU's requirements are much more flexible than USAA's.

USAA membership is passed to spouses and downward only to immediate family (parents -> children -> children's children), but not upward (children -> parent -> grandparent).

NFCU allows both upward and downward plus siblings and household members.
It depends. USAA allows all active and former Military to join. As a former Army Reservist, I don't believe I can join NFCU

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Hat wrote:
WolfgangPauli wrote:I have my credit frozen
Call USAA and ask which credit bureau they attempted to check. They usually use Equifax. If it is, unfreeze your Equifax report, wait at least 4 hours, then reapply.

When I applied for this card in January, it was Equifax. I didn't have my credit frozen, just the year long "active duty alert".

prudent

Post by prudent » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:03 pm

The credit freeze is certainly the driving factor, but even if that was not the case, I have never applied for a card and gotten an instant approval. They all have said I will hear something in 5-10 days or so. But I've never been declined.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:I have my credit frozen but usually if you already have a relationship they can still access your credit.
They can soft pull with a freeze in place. However, for a hard pull you have to lift the freeze.
WolfgangPauli wrote:I already have a USAA CC so I thought when I applied, I could just switch it over.
USAA doesn't do product changes. I tried before I ended up closing my existing USAA cards to get the Limitless (and have tried multiple times in the past as well).
jerryk68 wrote:I have no inside knowledge but it's not a USAA card it's a VISA card. Visa still has to approve it.
The card is issued by USAA and USAA makes the approval decision. Visa is just the payment network.
midareff wrote:BTW... anyone know if you can join USAA if you were never in the military? I joined PenFed by a donation to Friends of the Military, can that be done with USAA?
Only if you have a parent or spouse who is a member. They have eligiblity info on their site:
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/pub_eli ... irect=true

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:41 am

prudent wrote:The credit freeze is certainly the driving factor, but even if that was not the case, I have never applied for a card and gotten an instant approval. They all have said I will hear something in 5-10 days or so. But I've never been declined.
I've always gotten an instant approval for all of my USAA credit cards, but I don't have a credit freeze. I actually got my Limitless Visa in the mail last week.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 pm

It was definitely the freeze however the person the phone told me to unfreeze Experian not Equifax.. I hope he did not screw up

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:01 am

I applied for this card last week, and the approval process (wait) was about 10 seconds.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:37 am

They did screw up. The first lady I spoke with didn't know and told me that I should unfreeze them all. I then spoke with someone else, who referred me to loans department, who (incorrectly and confidently) explained that it was Experian. So, I unfroze Experian and called back the next day, where they informed me that I had a credit freeze and they couldn't pull my credit report. This person informed me that for this specific credit card, they're required to use Equifax, but that USAA often uses Experian for everything else. In retrospect, the loans department representative was correct -- she uses Experian for her work; however, this wasn't a request from the loans department.

I just got my pin in the mail today and I'm (finally) hoping to get this card. I was hoping it wasn't Equifax in the beginning because I had lost that pin years ago and never got it replaced.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 pm

I was extremely dissatisfied with USAA through this entire process. Very poor customer service, people did not know what they were doing, questions went unanswered etc. honestly, I think I am going to close out of USAA Bank altogether. this process was horrible.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm trying again. I've been with USAA for 11 or 12 years and there are some frustrating things with customer service that pop up every now and then, but it's not worth closing out everything.

What I found the most frustrating thing was that there was no way that I found to provide feedback to the process. Clearly there is an issue (or several) but I couldn't find any feedback mechanism on the website that was useful and no one was going to field any comments via telephone. I suppose that's less frustrating and more disappointing, now that I write it.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Cunobelinus wrote:I'm trying again. I've been with USAA for 11 or 12 years and there are some frustrating things with customer service that pop up every now and then, but it's not worth closing out everything.

What I found the most frustrating thing was that there was no way that I found to provide feedback to the process. Clearly there is an issue (or several) but I couldn't find any feedback mechanism on the website that was useful and no one was going to field any comments via telephone. I suppose that's less frustrating and more disappointing, now that I write it.
Have you tried sending messages to USAA via the online portal? I believe there is an option to submit comments/complaints.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Wolfgang are you using 2 different accounts (also cunobelinus)? I can't tell for sure if this is two different complaints or the same person.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:48 pm

azanon wrote:Wolfgang are you using 2 different accounts (also cunobelinus)? I can't tell for sure if this is two different complaints or the same person.
Perhaps the same complaint, but two different people. =)

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

I just got approved in about 90 seconds. Been a member for several years but this is my "first" product through USAA. Will probably switch my Auto to them next month. Now I have 90 days to arrange a Direct Deposit or the rewards drop to 1.5%.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Cunobelinus wrote:I'm trying again. I've been with USAA for 11 or 12 years and there are some frustrating things with customer service that pop up every now and then, but it's not worth closing out everything.

Have you tried sending messages to USAA via the online portal? I believe there is an option to submit comments/complaints.
I did later, but it wasn't any more satisfying. The format/subject they try to force you into when writing the comment probably makes it go to the incorrect department. When I applied again a few days ago, the lady on the phone didn't know which credit reporting agency they were going to use and guessed the wrong one, so I'm not confident my complaint/comment made any difference.

I suppose I was looking to communicate with a person who could, if not effect change, then at least acknowledge an issue.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:19 pm

pshonore wrote:I just got approved in about 90 seconds. Been a member for several years but this is my "first" product through USAA. Will probably switch my Auto to them next month. Now I have 90 days to arrange a Direct Deposit or the rewards drop to 1.5%.
I'm doing an ACH from my Vanguard Money Market account to fulfill the $1k direct deposit requirement.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 pm

flamesabers wrote:
pshonore wrote:I just got approved in about 90 seconds. Been a member for several years but this is my "first" product through USAA. Will probably switch my Auto to them next month. Now I have 90 days to arrange a Direct Deposit or the rewards drop to 1.5%.
I'm doing an ACH from my Vanguard Money Market account to fulfill the $1k direct deposit requirement.
For me its just easier to switch one from another bank. I'm not sure ACH transfers qualify.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm

pshonore wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
If you read the fine print, I don't think that will suffice. And it needs to be every month
I know it needs to be done every month.

Per the USAA website:
A Qualifying Direct Deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 into your USAA checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an external financial institution.
Since I'm initiating the transfer with my Vanguard account, it should meet this requirement.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Cunobelinus wrote:
flamesabers wrote:

I did later, but it wasn't any more satisfying. The format/subject they try to force you into when writing the comment probably makes it go to the incorrect department. When I applied again a few days ago, the lady on the phone didn't know which credit reporting agency they were going to use and guessed the wrong one, so I'm not confident my complaint/comment made any difference.

I suppose I was looking to communicate with a person who could, if not effect change, then at least acknowledge an issue.
I became so fed up with the poor CS from USAA Bank (Love the insurance company) that I wrote a long email to the CEO. To my surprise, I received a call from the "Executive offices of USAA" today and will return it on Monday. I will let you know what they say.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:43 pm

I got a little excited when I saw this thread title come up because I've been waiting with bated breath for any news about new states being added to this card. Come on, NC!

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:28 pm

Dendritic Tree wrote:I got a little excited when I saw this thread title come up because I've been waiting with bated breath for any news about new states being added to this card. Come on, NC!

Considering that between Bragg, Lejeune, & retirees USAA already has an established market in NC, I wonder if holding that card back is intentional?

It is probably not that, but who knows.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon May 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Update: So, I did email a note to the CEO of USAA Stuart Parker and to my surprise I received a phone call from the executive offices of USAA. They were incredibly polite, apologetic and they explained the situation. A fascinating one at that but nevertheless, they solved the problem and all is well. Too bad I had to go there but the good news is they took care of the issue.

2.5% card is in my wallet and Android Pay and I am collecting money as we speak!

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I wrote again to USAA to document my issue(s). In short, I applied the first time and they repeatedly told me to unfreeze with the wrong credit bureau. That application lapsed because I had to apply for a new pin from Transunion and that was the only bureau they stated they could use. A month later I applied after unfreezing each of the three bureaus for one week, and I received a voicemail saying they couldn't pull my credit. On three separate occasions, I spoke with someone on the phone who said something different about which bureau they needed, but the notes in the record never stated which bureau they tried to use, and ultimately the application lapsed again and I was told you can only apply online and only apply twice per six months.

I guess that wasn't really short, but that's where I'm at.

Gindacu

Post by Gindacu » Tue May 09, 2017 6:40 am

flamesabers wrote:
pshonore wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
If you read the fine print, I don't think that will suffice. And it needs to be every month
I know it needs to be done every month.

Per the USAA website:
A Qualifying Direct Deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 into your USAA checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an external financial institution.
Since I'm initiating the transfer with my Vanguard account, it should meet this requirement.
My spouse is using a monthly ACH transfer from vanguard to meet the direct deposit requirement. Works just fine.