Six pack for barbecue?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
radnor

Six pack for barbecue?

Post by radnor »

I've agreed to buy a six-pack of beer for a friend's BBQ tomorrow, but I am not sure what exactly this means. Those who know, could you please help me out with this:
  • Should I buy bottled or canned beer?
  • What kind of beer should it be (Bud Light, or something higher-end/fancier)?
  • There will be just about 6 people at the event; should I consider bringing more than 6 bottles/cans (perhaps 12)?
  • Bonus question: should I consider additionally bringing a food item, like potato salad?
Last edited by radnor on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZAttorney11

Re: Six pack for barbecue?

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Bottled. And get two or three six-packs. Craft / micro brews are all the rage these days.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Take at least a twelve-pack. What kind you take depends on the group (cans of Bud vs. bottles of high quality beer, imported or from a real microbrewery.) If you don't have any idea what kind to get, maybe ask a friend who is going or the host or else an employee at the store could make suggestions.

You could always take food but unless it is something basic like bagged snacks, it's better to ask the host. You don't want to show up with a container of store-bought potato salad if the host has prepared a huge bowl using their grandmother's recipe. You could also take a couple of bags of ice, which is almost always appreciated. I have also called before going to a gathering to ask if there is anything I can stop and pick up on the way and the answer 9 times out of 10 is "YES, thank you, I need xxxxxx."

It's really hard to answer your questions specifically without knowing more about the group.
Last edited by Pajamas on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Let's try for 24 cans at least. And you could buy 4 six packs of different types.
Bud Light is perfectly OK.
Coors is OK.
Heineken is good.

And, make sure it is iced - put the cans in a larger cooler (32 quart [?]). If the cans look lonely add more beer and ice. The nice thing about beer is that it keeps for at least a couple of months.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I think 2 beers per guest would be the minimum, but are you the only one bringing the beer, or is it to be a byob type of thing? More people are becoming "beer snobs" and turn up their noses at the popular American brands. A regular and a light beer might be good as some like to watch their calories.
There are way too many choices when you walk down the beer aisle these days. IPA's seems to be popular. Some people say beer tastes better in a bottle, but I can't tell the difference myself.
Some people like Guinness but I can't stand it myself. They do make a Guinness blonde.
http://www.craveonline.com/culture/8710 ... -beers-bbq
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2015/06/24/ ... ng-period/
But lets face it, it's just a BBQ, no one will complain if you just bring bud.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Take a 6 pack of Budweiser light and a six pack of Dos Equis or Fat tire. That should be enough beer for the guys and gals that like beer. Put the beer on ice in a medium cooler. If you do not like to drink beer buy some other beverage that you like. My wife likes Angry Orchard hard cider or Smirnoff Ice malt liquor. So buy a 6 pack of something like that as well. Put those on ice in the cooler as well. That makes it 18 drinks for 6 people which is more than enough.

Go have fun. Good Luck.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

RadAudit wrote:Let's try for 24 cans at least. And you could buy 4 six packs of different types.
Bud Light is perfectly OK.
Coors is OK.
Heineken is good.
I'd just stick with Heineken. At most of the outings I've ever been at, it's the most common one brought.

Of course, the age of the group plays a big role in your decision. Young people like being different and trying new things; older people usually want something they recognize. Perhaps sharing that info would help.
Last edited by Loik098 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

It's pretty clear you're not much of a beer drinker. A 6-pack means bottled beers. I would not bring something like Bud or Bud Light. Bring a nice summertime beer like a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. Sierra Nevada has wide distribution and should be available just about anywhere for a standard ~$10 per 6-pack. If you want to bring a couple 6-packs, go with the hefeweizen and something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA in case some of the other guests would like something hoppy.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

btenny wrote:Take a 6 pack of Budweiser light and a six pack of Dos Equis or Fat tire. That should be enough beer for the guys and gals that like beer. Put the beer on ice in a medium cooler. If you do not like to drink beer buy some other beverage that you like. My wife likes Angry Orchard hard cider or Smirnoff Ice malt liquor. So buy a 6 pack of something like that as well. Put those on ice in the cooler as well. That makes it 18 drinks for 6 people which is more than enough.

Go have fun. Good Luck.
I like this suggestion. If it is a less adventurous crowd, you could substitute Corona for the Dos Equis / Fat Tire; a more adventurous crowd, substitute an local craft brewed IPA.

If you get the Dos Equis, impress people by referring to it as "Dos-Eck-Eees", not "Dos-Eck-Wis". :D

This is an important task you have been entrusted with and shows the confidence your host has in you. No pressure... :sharebeer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ketawa wrote: A 6-pack means bottled beers.
or cans
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

:oops:
Last edited by Fudgie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CABob

Post by CABob »

radnor wrote:I've agreed to buy a six-pack of beer for a friend's BBQ tomorrow, but I am not sure what exactly this means. Those who know, could you please help me out with this:
  • Should I buy bottled or canned beer? Bottled with a possible exception if it is a pool party. And make sure it is well iced.
  • What kind of beer should it be (Bud Light, or something higher-end/fancier)? I think something higher end is in order unless you know the group would prefer the more common domestic big name beer. You can't go too far wrong with a 12-pack of Corona .
  • There will be just about 6 people at the event; should I consider bringing more than 6 bottles/cans (perhaps 12)? 12 sounds good.
  • Bonus question: should I consider additionally bringing a food item, like potato salad?
Not without checking with host. With a group of this size I would think the host has planned the food and drinks available and has asked for beer because that is what he wants.
Bob
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

This being Bogleheads... you should diversify among the IBU's and styles :) :beer

(Some places will allow you to build your own six- or twelve packs-- since you don't seem to have a full knowledge of beers, you might ask a more knowledgeable clerk at a store to help build a good assortment. )
{Here in the Bend area-- there's no shortage of choices and many knowledgeable people to help. Me: I'm more into porters}
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

Two six packs of Lagunitas' Aunt Sally and yer done. Keep it simple.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I live in the Northeast, and here Sam Adams Boston Lager is a respectable and good tasting beer. There are 2 and 3-beer days per person. But probably several of the guest will be drivers, so there is a state limit on alcohol level for car drivers to consider.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

CABob wrote:
radnor wrote:I've agreed to buy a six-pack of beer for a friend's BBQ tomorrow, but I am not sure what exactly this means. Those who know, could you please help me out with this:
  • Should I buy bottled or canned beer? Bottled with a possible exception if it is a pool party. And make sure it is well iced.
  • What kind of beer should it be (Bud Light, or something higher-end/fancier)? I think something higher end is in order unless you know the group would prefer the more common domestic big name beer. You can't go too far wrong with a 12-pack of Corona .
  • There will be just about 6 people at the event; should I consider bringing more than 6 bottles/cans (perhaps 12)? 12 sounds good.
Not without checking with host. With a group of this size I would think the host has planned the food and drinks available and has asked for beer because that is what he wants.
I agree with practically all of this--with two slight modifications:
If you avoid common domestic, get one six pack of craft and one six pack of import.
If you do know that the group would prefer common domestic big name beer, bring one six pack of "regular" and one six pack of "light/lite" but not "ultra light."
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Nearing_Destination wrote:This being Bogleheads... you should diversify among the IBU's and styles :) :beer

(Some places will allow you to build your own six- or twelve packs-- since you don't seem to have a full knowledge of beers, you might ask a more knowledgeable clerk at a store to help build a good assortment. )
{Here in the Bend area-- there's no shortage of choices and many knowledgeable people to help. Me: I'm more into porters}
I was thinking the same thing - it could be a cool opportunity for people to try a different beer than their usual. At the very least if you get 2 six-packs it might be a good idea to pick two different styles since some people like lighter beers than others.

I also like the idea of calling the host and offering to stop at the store on the way.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

If you have a Trader Joes near you, you can build a 6 pack. You can pull beers out of existing 6 packs as you build your own. Each beer costs 1/6th of the six pack price. Nice way to try a bunch of beers without commitment. I think 2 beers per guest is good.
Wiki
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Not a beer drinker eh?

It will help you know the crowd, ages, etc.

When I was in college a typical party bring a 6 pack meant bring the beer your where gonna drink yourself. Back then drinking an entire 6 pack was warm up :oops: . As an adult, 2 or 3 tops and I am good. If I'm driving make that 1 or 2.

What to get is a matter of taste. I cant stand Bud Or Coors, basically water with just a hint of beer flavor. But more people drink those than anything else... On the other end, among the microbrew snobs, IPA is the most popular style but I dont like that either - they all compete to just make the most over hopped bitter mix and the hops just overpower the rest of the flavors.. I like German styles myself (Hefe's, Dunkels, etc) and will look for good European imports and steer away from the over hyped Microbrews. Hacker Pschoor, Weihenstephaer, Paulaner, etc are personal favorites.

Somebody mentioned Sam Adams... Growing up in New England Ive probably drank more of that than anything else... but honestly I'm a bit tired of it now. The brand has got so big its not really unique anymore (though they basically started the microbrew movement) and some of their varieties I dont really care for. Example, Oktoberfest is one of my all time favorite styles, but Sam's version of an Oktober is so different from a real one (Spaten, Paulaner, H-S, etc) that you would not know you where drinking the same style. Sam's is all caramelly and very heavy.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Nearing_Destination wrote:(Some places will allow you to build your own six- or twelve packs-- since you don't seem to have a full knowledge of beers, you might ask a more knowledgeable clerk at a store to help build a good assortment. )
Good idea for trying different beers at home but I'm not so sure about at a party. Someone might find a beer they really like only to learn there was only one in the assortment.
Bob
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Agree that you should talk to the host.

If you were going to my brother's house, that would mean a six pack of natural light. My sister's would mean miller lite. (Amazingly, our 25 year old would be in this category as well)

Any of my friends' houses, I'd get applauded for my ironic approach with those beers and then get asked for the whereabouts of the real beer. (Same applies to my other two sons.)

Never have seen Heineken at a BBQ. :shock:

Would be easier to get a consensus on appropriate percentage of international stocks, or whether to pay the 2.7% fixed rate mortgage off!
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Bud light, coors light or miller lite. Those always work. Nothing worse than having to hang out with beer snobs.
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Don't shy away from canned microbrews.

Brewers realized a while ago that canning is superior to bottling for preserving beer quality, and consumers are finally coming around to the idea that canned no longer means mass produced and/or low quality.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Nothing to add, but these are they times I wish I was still young and not tied down with family. :(

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

JDCarpenter wrote:If you were going to my brother's house, that would mean a six pack of natural light.
I thought a 30 pack was the smallest quantity that "Nati Light" came in. :happy
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Kenkat wrote:
JDCarpenter wrote:If you were going to my brother's house, that would mean a six pack of natural light.
I thought a 30 pack was the smallest quantity that "Nati Light" came in. :happy
:sharebeer
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Bottles unless there is a pool/barefoot people.
At least 12 pack.
Sam Adams, Harpoon, Sierra Nevada are safe.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Bud light, coors light or miller lite. Those always work. Nothing worse than having to hang out with beer snobs.
Beer snob sounds like an oxymoron. But I guess I'm guilty--or at least plead nolo contendere.

Guests are welcome to bring those beers to my house, but any of it that they don't drink gets delivered the next day to my 89 y/o near tee-totaler (ie, she doesn't buy her own alcohol) MIL :beer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Bud light, coors light or miller lite. Those always work. Nothing worse than having to hang out with beer snobs.
or bring Stella Artois - it is basically a miller-class lager that has been marketed as a premium beer in the US. You can cover both ends. :beer
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
The529guy

Post by The529guy »

Great suggestions, but bring Asahi Super Dry.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

jebmke wrote:
or cans
Cans are taking over, yes...
Attempted new signature...
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Beer snobs are bad, but have you ever had to hang out with wine snobs? :shock:
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I only buy cans of various IPAs nowadays, but that for me.
Others aren't like me, so I would mix it up...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

AZAttorney11 wrote:
To be a proper wine snob, you need an eclectic vocabulary.
Beer snobs can usually get away with nodding judiciously and a few short phrases...
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

jebmke wrote:
or cans
Take one of the cans out of the six pack and stick it in your back pocket or hide it before you enter. Walk in holding the five pack by the empty plastic loop and they will think you drank the other beer on the way over. Many laughs. :wink: :beer
You could also take a couple of bags of ice, which is almost always appreciated. I have also called before going to a gathering to ask if there is anything I can stop and pick up on the way and the answer 9 times out of 10 is "YES, thank you, I need xxxxxx."
Truly excellent ideas.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

With so many choices of beverages, when I throw a BBQ, my rule is BYOB TYOB. (Bring your own bottle, take your own bottle) I do tell my guests what will be available (see below).

In other words, as the host, I don't want to either guess what you like (if I stock the bar) nor do I want to get stuck with something I won't drink after you leave.

Case in point: I threw a BBQ with one of my long time bowling buddies as a guest. Since I know what he drinks, I got a 12 pack of his favorite beer. He shows up sniffling. he was sick and drank nothing. He brought a quart raspberry daiquiri mix for his wife. What the heck do I do with the leftovers? :shock:

We do supply a simply stocked bar: Two kinds of beer (one light), red and white wine, sometimes sangria, vodka, whiskey, and an assortment of washes.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

The Wizard wrote:
AZAttorney11 wrote:
To be a proper wine snob, you need an eclectic vocabulary.
Beer snobs can usually get away with nodding judiciously and a few short phrases...
hmmp. Ima beer snob. I s'pose. un huh.
Watty

Post by Watty »

radnor wrote:Bonus question: should I consider additionally bringing a food item, like potato salad?
It does not sound like you need to bring anything else and bringing anything large that would result in their being too much food.

It might be too late to get it but if you happen to be from another country then in addition to the beer you could bring a small appetizer or snack that is from your country if you wanted to and if it is readily available. Just a small serving like a dozen or so small cookies would be fine so people could get a taste of something they have never had before.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Watty wrote:
radnor wrote:Bonus question: should I consider additionally bringing a food item, like potato salad?
It does not sound like you need to bring anything else and bringing anything large that would result in their being too much food.

It might be too late to get it but if you happen to be from another country then in addition to the beer you could bring a small appetizer or snack that is from your country if you wanted to and if it is readily available. Just a small serving like a dozen or so small cookies would be fine so people could get a taste of something they have never had before.
IMHO, I would NEVER bring a food item without clearing it with the host. When I host a party, I spend dozens of hours preparing a well-coordinated menu. If I am serving BBQ, I may not want to have you to bring egg rolls or stuffed grape leaves and have my guests thinking someone's crazy.

Although I always appreciate the thought, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I bring at least two packs of bottles. I'd go with something local for one of them, a local IPA or blonde ale would be a good choice this time of year. For the second, I'd go with something more generic. Corona is perfect, as almost no one hates it.
burt

Post by burt »

Great suggestions by all.
My only advice is..... NO LIGHT BEER.

burt
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Pajamas wrote:I have also called before going to a gathering to ask if there is anything I can stop and pick up on the way and the answer 9 times out of 10 is "YES, thank you, I need xxxxxx."
As a more frequent party host than guest, you would be welcome at any of my parties. I wish every guest had this attitude. Most volunteer to help after all the work is done. :(

Sometimes all it takes is a bag of ice to maintain a party host's sanity. And that's just to put in his glass of Scotch! :D
John Laurens

Post by John Laurens »

I would bring a bottle of Pepsi and some ring dings. Guaranteed someone comes up to you later and says, "just between me and you, I'm glad you brought the ring dings".

Regards,
John
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

Any alcoholic beer, yellow and cold, qty = 12. :beer
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Bottles: Bass Ale, Yuengling Lager

Cans: Guinness, Boddingtons

No light beer.
Mid-40’s
maxq

Post by maxq »

I'm in Texas, so BBQ means Shiner Bock and/or Lone Star with the friends I run with. Actually though, DUI is a real concern and when I'm asked to bring a 6/12 pack, I add an equivalent amount of non-alcoholic beer--Buckleys and Becks NA really aren't all that bad. My peer group is aging along with me, and more than one has to watch the mix of meds and alcohol. For a non-beer connoisseur, I agree with the above ideas of Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams, or the mix and match 6/12 packs. Let us know what you decide on and how it goes! :beer
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

30 pack of Busch Light is $17 and goes down like water.
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote:Don't shy away from canned microbrews.

Brewers realized a while ago that canning is superior to bottling for preserving beer quality, and consumers are finally coming around to the idea that canned no longer means mass produced and/or low quality.
^^This. Cans have been perfected and are now superior to bottles. Green or clear bottles are not good for beer and can't skunk a great beer like Heineken which turns people off. As a lover of craft beer I would caution you on going too fancy for a bbq. Beer tastes vary. As suggested i would take a six of bud/Coors light and also a six of stella/Heineken. No way to know how much light those Heineken bottles have been exposed to so go with cans of you go the Stella/Heineken route.
FlyOverState

Post by FlyOverState »

ddurrett896 wrote:30 pack of Busch Light is $17 and goes down like water.
Bring Busch Light and don't expect to be invited back. :)
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

maxq wrote:I'm in Texas, so BBQ means Shiner Bock and/or Lone Star with the friends I run with. Actually though, DUI is a real concern and when I'm asked to bring a 6/12 pack, I add an equivalent amount of non-alcoholic beer--Buckleys and Becks NA really aren't all that bad. My peer group is aging along with me, and more than one has to watch the mix of meds and alcohol. For a non-beer connoisseur, I agree with the above ideas of Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams, or the mix and match 6/12 packs. Let us know what you decide on and how it goes! :beer
Was introduced to shiner bock when I lived In Texas. You can't go wrong with shiner... comes in cans and approprite Brown bottles