Moving... and U-haul trucks are expensive!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
workingovertime

Moving... and U-haul trucks are expensive!

Post by workingovertime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:31 am

I'm planning for a move in the next week or so and I'm finding out that U-Haul trucks are very expensive.

The move is only 2 hours away and the only thing I really need the box truck for is 1 queen mattress (no box spring), a very small desk (small enough to most likely fit in a large sedan or definitely any sized SUV), and then other small things. The items are minimal and not my entire belongings.

I don't need to tow my vehicle...

Can anyone suggest me any better options? I thought about renting one of those cargo vans from other rental companies and bend my queen mattress a bit to fit in. I can't think of any other options.

Dude2

Re: Moving... and U-haul trucks are expensive!

Post by Dude2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:46 am

Recently I have found that Budget has much cheaper moving equipment rentals than UHaul. Typically they are associated with Sears -- they have an office close to Sears (at least in my area, Florida). Used to be UHaul was the cheapest. Try Budget. Otherwise, friend with a truck?

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 am

I looked into this before when a queen mattress was the largest item I had and the vans from Enterprise rental were supposedly big enough. I never did rent the van, so I can't confirm with 100% certainty, but numerous Enterprise people told me the van fits a queen mattress.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 am

Rent a pick-up truck from someone like Enterprise. Pick-ups are much cheaper than vans. If weather looks bad, buy a cheap tarp and a few bungee cords.

Another option is to rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowe's. Not only can you rent by the hour, you may not need to buy anything from them.
Last edited by Jimmie on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 am

U-haul has a cargo van that will hold a queen mattress. We used that for my son's move, but it was just a couple of miles so we could do multiple trips. I think their website has a video on how to get a queen bed into the cargo van. Sorry, I can't remember if it had to go in at an angle or if it would lay flat. I do know there wasn't much room left after getting the bed in, but sounds like that might not be a problem for you.

Edit: Here's a link https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/403 ... Cargo-Van/

workingovertime

Post by workingovertime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks for the inputs

So far, I have found U-haul to be the most expensive and budget box truck to be my best bet,.

I don't really feel comfortable hauling a mattress in a pickup truck so that is out of the question for me.

I would do work vans but I can't find a good option for them... U haul has a van but their van is more expensive than a box truck elsewhere. Other car rental companies have vans but it's only one of those passenger vans, not work vans. I looked into home depot renting but their van is only available for returns back to same location.

As of right now, I would probably go with the Budget trucks... unless someone can advise me a more affordable option!

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:39 am

If you find a better deal, ask for a price match. I was surprised u-haul did this. Most are small independent franchises and can negotiate prices. Recent experience was father in law moving across country and the local people at drop off knocked almost $300 of truck rental for extra day charges. At start location they matched budgets pricing. Perhaps if you do one way, they'll knock off mileage charges. Do they have any trucks needing to be transferred to new location, perhaps larger size than you need, but make deal with a discount to what you're looking for. Just ask and you might get a good deal.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:23 am

This sounds like the perfect case where you should craigslist these few big items and just buy new ones when you get to the new location. A friend of mine moved from Massachusetts to Texas years ago and sold everything from his house to his goat and packed everything into his Volvo wagon and a small utility trailer and bought everything new.

Short of that.....buy a $200 Harbor freight utility trailer, put a hitch on your car and move all that stuff. Sell the trailer for $100 at the other end of your move.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:34 am

aren't U-hauls only like $20 and then $.50 per mile + gas?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:42 am

If your vehicle has a hitch you could rent a small trailer as an option.
"Gonna Make It"

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am

Since you are just 2 hours away I'd look into how much the cost difference would be to pickup/dropoff at the same place on the same day. One way rentals are expensive.

researcher

Post by researcher » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:This sounds like the perfect case where you should craigslist these few big items and just buy new ones when you get to the new location.
You're suggesting the OP buy a USED mattress from Craigslist? No way would I do this.

whomever

Post by whomever » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:18 am

As said above, one way can be a lot more expensive than just a daily rental - or not. If there is a surplus of people moving from Ohio to Nebraska, one way rentals from Ohio->Nebraska will be more expensive than from Nebraska->Ohio; UHaul has to get the extra trucks back to Ohio somehow.

The time of the month (and year) can matter a lot as well; more people want to move the last few days of the month, when leases expire.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:47 am

Something you may not be aware of is that reservations are not always guaranteed. You can show up that morning to be told, sorry, we don't have that size of van, you can have this truck instead, or even sorry, fresh out, maybe in a couple of hours. That can be a real problem in a busy location.

Kaufmanrider

Post by Kaufmanrider » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 am

Maybe it's on where you live? I used U-Haul to move my daughter. Twenty foot box truck was $119 for two days and 180 miles. Of course I had a full one bedroom apartment worth of furniture, not just a bed and desk. The moving help I hired cost more then the truck, but they earned their money and saved my back. :D

Post by 2015 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Have you tried Angie's List? I found much cheaper alternatives to all the big brand name moving companies, but all locally verified. I cross-referenced the Angie's List positive ratings with Yelp as well.

This thread discussed DIY distance moving:

viewtopic.php?t=164707#p2473785

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:24 pm

I rented a 16-foot Penske truck one-way, unlimited mileage, 2 days for around $200, but this included online reservation discount and AAA discount helped. I imagine the one or two smaller sized options would be a little cheaper. I think these prices are a steal for non-U-haul options. (I won't use U-haul.)
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

akron1977

Post by akron1977 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Rented an extended height van from Enterprise last summer to move daughter to NJ--plenty of room for a queen mattress

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Just a thought, check your car insurance to see if it will cover a truck rental. Mine covered car rentals but not truck rentals. It's been a couple years but I think it added another $20 bucks.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:28 pm

jesscj wrote:If your vehicle has a hitch you could rent a small trailer as an option.

Yep. Uhaul is actually very reasonable with their trailer rentals. I've done it a couple of times and will do a 1000 mile move with a 6x12 in about 6 months.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 pm

The two times I rented a U-Haul they were absolute POS. Budget or Penske is much better. It's worth a little extra money. You're already saving a ton of money by moving yourself. My advice if you want to cut further would be to go minimalist and start parting ways with your stuff or make friends with someone with a large pickup truck. You can also rent a truck for cheaper as someone has already mentioned. Just tie your stuff down well and you're good to go.

BTW- not sure how nice your mattress is. But if that's the one thing causing your moving cost to increase you could consider ditching it and getting a new one. You can get a well rated mattress of Amazon for pretty cheap these days. $600 will do it.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Rent a pickup truck from a car rental company like enterprise. There is no mileage charge for those.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 am

brokendirtdart wrote:
jesscj wrote:If your vehicle has a hitch you could rent a small trailer as an option.

Yep. Uhaul is actually very reasonable with their trailer rentals. I've done it a couple of times and will do a 1000 mile move with a 6x12 in about 6 months.
I've got a 2000 mile move coming up. Spent hours pricing various truck rentals, moving companies and the like. Turns out it was a lot cheaper to have a hitch permanently installed on my vehicle and to tow a small U-Haul trailer. At least when it is done, I'll still have the hitch as mine.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 am

Unless the mattress is new or very costly to replace, throw it out. Moving is a good time to question "do I still want this?"

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:48 am

researcher wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:This sounds like the perfect case where you should craigslist these few big items and just buy new ones when you get to the new location.
You're suggesting the OP buy a USED mattress from Craigslist? No way would I do this.
I think he was suggesting that the OP sell his mattress on Craigslist before moving and buy new upon relocation.

wcshaff

Post by wcshaff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:43 pm

I have done several small moves recently and found that Penske is head and shoulders above U-Haul and Budget. As mentioned, you can call online and typically get some discounts from their posted rates. I would select Penske even if they turn out to be more expensive than the other firms.