2017 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2017 Honda CRV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

2017 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2017 Honda CRV

Post by CULater »

I've narrowed down to the Mazda CX-5 and Honda CRV. Both new models with improvements in ride and noise level, as well as other areas. These both seem like good vehicles and are very competitive in terms of features, price, and assumed reliability. Has anyone shopped or bought one of these and can share their thoughts? Seems like a coin toss to me right now.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
warowits

Re: 2017 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2017 Honda CRV

Post by warowits »

The difference to me seems to be that the Mazda is more engaging to drive and the Honda is better in basically every other way. I would buy the Honda if it were a new car year. Rear seat and cargo space in the CRV are very good. I need a vehicle to haul kids and groceries, so if your life is more exciting than mine perhaps the CX-5 is for you.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Both are great options. It comes down to personal preference.
Jinwood

Post by Jinwood »

warowits wrote:The difference to me seems to be that the Mazda is more engaging to drive and the Honda is better in basically every other way. I would buy the Honda if it were a new car year. Rear seat and cargo space in the CRV are very good. I need a vehicle to haul kids and groceries, so if your life is more exciting than mine perhaps the CX-5 is for you.
Essentially this. All the reviews say the CX-5 is a better drive, but the CRV is the reigning champ in this category of vehicle, keeping in mind these are meant to be family haulers so a slightly better drive is secondary to its primary function.

Had the same decision to make last year for the 2016 year model CX-5 vs CRV. The 2017 CRV has been updated from prior years, not sure about the CX-5, but they had an odd-ball mid-2016 refresh. We ended up with a CRV.

Our decision came down to price. Both their respective local dealers wouldn't budge. Contacting other dealers nearby returned roughly similar prices. Ended up going through an acquaintance who works at an independent dealer/lease company. He had an awesome deal on a Toyota Rav4, but the 2016 model was sub-middle of the pack in all the reviews I read and my dad and I did not like the look and feel of it.

We asked our middleman/friend the pros and cons between the CX-5 and the CRV. He said the CRV should hold value better given the company's stronger branding and the vehicle's overall popularity. His answer makes complete sense, seeing as he makes his living off of car sale and resale values. Since we're not likely to sell it, that's not something that worked into our consideration. YMMV.

Regardless, he found us the same trim and color for the CRV we wanted, at lower than the lowest offer we could get from any of the Honda dealers we talked to. Handed the bank check to him the next time I was off and drove home with it that day.

It's been a decent drive, not that I've driven many interesting cars to compare to. Better than my dad's old 2001 Blazer and the 2006 Dodge Caravan I used to make deliveries in. Not as nice as a friend's Audi S5. It does it's job well, cargo space is expansive. It's the common car I see roll across the intersection in triplicate while waiting for the light to turn. Must be doing something right.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

CULater wrote:I've narrowed down to the Mazda CX-5 and Honda CRV.
If you like to drive, CX-5 by a mile. Replaced a CR-V with CX-5 for this reason a few months back. CX-5 just handles beautifully under all conditions. If all you ever do is start and stop driving in a downtown grid, you'll never notice, of course. LED lights are bright. Tech is great. Back-up camera lacks "dynamic" lines -- that's the only foible.

Someone will chime in that the Honda is 3% more reliable than Mazda according to something or someone but unless you're buying a whole fleet of these, those tiny differences are completely meaningless and the outcome is random. Mazda is reliable. Their dealerships, on the other hand...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Both the CR-V and the CX-5 received a major model change for 2017. Both are very good, reliable, compact crossover choices. I've driven the CR-V Touring trim on numerous occasions and found it to be nimble, quiet (although a bit droning under hard acceleration), and well designed. Concerns I have about the upper trim CR-V (LX is normally aspirated) is the CVT and the turbo. Honda's CVT has gotten better after some initial issues a few years back, as has their turbo experience (the turbo they use on the 1.5l is made by Mitsubishi).

I haven't driven the new CX-5 yet, but the early reviews are promising. The rear passenger and cargo area a smaller in the Mazda. The drivetrain is consists of a normally aspirated, well proven, 2.5l mated to a 6 speed conventional automatic. Mazda has done a lot of work to improve the NVH, as well as attempt to move the vehicle more upmarket, with interior refinements and attention to detail. Because of the more conventional drivetrain, though sporting Mazda's SkyActive technology, the CX-5 trails the CR-V by a few mpg. Of course, as is well understood, if the CR-V's turbo is engaged very often, the better fuel economy achievable with the turbo rapidly diminishes.

I definitely agree with others, you have to drive each and assess how their differentiating attributes suit your usage. If it matters, the CX-5 does not yet offer CarPlay/Android Auto (Mazda claims it will be retroactively available at some point), whereas the CR-V does.
sweeden22

Post by sweeden22 »

I drive a lot of cars when I travel.

Mazda always makes a vehicle more engaging and fun to drive than the other Japanese brands. For me, a fun car to drive is a big deal. I would pick the Mazda for that reason.

It is an aging generation and fuel economy is not so great, but Tiguan from Volkswagen is a blast to drive with a very competent engine. It is my favorite car in this class. The way it drives and the solidity of the vehicle is an impression of a much more expensive vehicle. I would encourage you to at least test drive one.

And when I say more fun to drive, you benefit every single drive, you do not need to be on a twisty road to enjoy those properties.
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

We have the prior generation crv. We picked it primarily due to the large cargo volume which really comes in handy for us ( it replaced a minivan). If that's important to you, go crv. If not, pick the one you like. As an aside, rented a Mazda 3 for a week recently in California and it was a much nicer drive than my older generation civic. They really are fun.
BrklynMike

Post by BrklynMike »

we got my wife a cx-5. Most fun I ever had driving a car. My only regret is now I hate driving my car. Can't speak highly enough about the Mazda, but we don't have kids.
"In a world of uncertainty, one should focus more on the consequences than the probabilities." - Benjamin Graham
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

We too were deciding between the 2016 CX-5 and 2016 CRV, ended up with the CX-5 and are very satisfied. The newest car we had before were from 2003, so all the new technology and features on either car blew us away. The details a lot of reviewers compared between the two vehicles were pretty minor to us (handling, cargo space, buttons, etc.), and in the end we just chose the Mazda based on it's style, which we much preferred over the Honda.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

If you are truly having a difficult time deciding then shop for both of them, basically working one dealership against another. After negotiating with several dealership select the best price. I don't think you could go wrong with either one and it may come down to which one looks better to you.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Test drove both yesterday and initial impressions were that they are very competitive. Both 2017 models ride better and are quieter than before. I thought that the CRV was a bit quieter (less pavement noise) than the CX-5 and maybe a tad more compliant on bumps. +1 for CRV. My impression is that the CX-5 handled a little better and the engine/transmission combo was a bit smoother than the CRV. +1 for CX-5. CRV has a little more cargo room and floor is flat; CX-5 is almost flat but probably OK. +1 for CRV. The CRV has an optional Garmin Navi, but also supports Android Auto and Carplay. CX-5 has an optional Tom-Tom navi and no support for Android Auto or Carplay right now. +1 for CRV. I gotta have Android Auto because car navis are not even close, and you get gouged for map updates. I liked the positioning of the display in the CX-5 a little better; it sticks up on the top of the dash. The CRV is lower and it slants which can pick up some sun glare. I also thought that the screen display was better for me in the CX-5 when I'm wearing my tinted, polarized prescription sunglasses. +1 for CX-5. I'm thinking that the non-turbo/geared transmission in the CX-5 is going to be easier to maintain as the car ages than the turbo/CVT combo in the CRV. +1 for the CX-5. I generally like the appearance of the CX-5, but not the snout. I would favor the looks of the CRV a little bit. +1 for the CRV. I figure that both would be equally reliable, so that's a tie. I don't think that Hondas are as bulletproof now as they were in the past; but have been very happy with an older CRV that I still drive. They built the CX-5 in Japan and the CRV in U.S. My older CRV was built in Japan. Used to be that general opinion was that Japan-build cars were better in initial quality. Don't know if that's the case anymore. So, my tally on some of my key points is +4 for CRV and +4 for CX-5. I need a tie-breaker.
david99

Post by david99 »

We bought a used Grand Touring CX-5 two years ago. It had very low mileage (about 12k miles) and it's been a great car. Fun to drive and very reliable. We've only had to change the oil and recently it needed a new battery at about 30k miles.
detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu »

CULater wrote: I need a tie-breaker.
Prices for the trims you want??
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

CULater wrote: I need a tie-breaker.
You can buy the Honda because everyone has the Honda.

You can buy the Mazda because everyone has the Honda.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

I went back to the dealer to check the CRV display screen/navi. I don't know why, but when I wear my tinted, polarized, prescription sunglasses I have a hard time seeing the screen clearly. It affects the clarity of everything including the backup cam. It looks a bit smudgy as though there is something on the surface that needs to be wiped off. It looks OK with my regular prescription glasses. Anyone run into this? I'm not sure what the explanation is. Also had this problem in the past when TDing Toyota products. The CX-5 screen is much clearer, but I do prefer the Garmin navi to the Tom Tom navi in the CX-5. Unless I can figure this out, I may have to pass on the CRV. I also do not like how the screen is mounted on the dash at an angle, which catches sun glare. Perhaps the smooge on the screen is some kind of treatment that's supposed to cut reflections from sun glare -- but it also cuts visibility for folks wearing polarized prescription sunglasses. Also, the actual image display is much smaller than the screen as if Honda intended to have a larger display and then got the memo to use a smaller one after they'd ordered the parts.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

When I last shopped (3 years ago, but both models seem pretty similar today as they were then):

CR-V was clearly the better family car. Roomier, bigger trunk, more nooks and crannies to store stuff. Easy to get in and out of, fold seats, etc. I don't remember for sure, but I think it also had a quieter ride.

CX-5 was definitely more fun to drive, and I think looks better, too.
CULater wrote:I went back to the dealer to check the CRV display screen/navi. I don't know why, but when I wear my tinted, polarized, prescription sunglasses I have a hard time seeing the screen clearly. It affects the clarity of everything including the backup cam. It looks a bit smudgy as though there is something on the surface that needs to be wiped off.
That's common with many LCD screens - it might affect your phone screen too. It's because LCD screens are also polarized, but not necessarily in the same orientation as your glasses might be, so each may block some of the light the other would want to let through. You may also have trouble with auto-dimming rearview mirrors.

Tilting your head will probably alter what you see and there should be a certain angle that makes the effect go away, but having to tilt your head to funny angles while driving is definitely not convenient. A different brand of polarized glass might also work.

Non-polarized sunglasses will be fine, but then you don't have the benefit of reduced glare when the road is wet.

Glasses with a weaker tint at the bottom than the top may also reduce the effect enough to be acceptable.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Yes, polarized sun glasses are a problem for many displays. Sometimes I make the mistake of trying to buy gas and not taking off my sunglasses. Then I wonder why the gas pump display is broken :oops: