Removing a tree - expensive!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Removing a tree - expensive!!!

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 pm

We have an old Silver maple that needs to be removed. It is still alive, but not "healthy". It is the last of three still standing, where the other two from when we bought the house 38 years ago have fallen down. I suspect that this remaining tree may be suffering from the same sort of interior trunk "issues" that caused them to fall. I receiced a quote (good for six months) of $1,850 to remove the tree (but not the stump). We live on a narrow lot (62.5 ft) and the tree is midway between our house and the neighbor (but on our property). It is about 12-15 ft from each house.

I doubt there is a "safe" lower cost alternative.

Ideas!

The Wizard

Re: Removing a tree - expensive!!!

Post by The Wizard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Get two more quotes...
Attempted new signature...

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Call around. Offer to be flexible on scheduling. We had a fairly good sized sweetgum removed (stump left behind) for roughly 200 bucks by being flexible on "we'll be in the neighborhood anyway on this day".
Last edited by badger42 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

You didn't state how tall the tree is which might be driving the cost but $1850 sounds high - I'd get other quotes.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

If it is that close to the houses, then they'll have to bring in some type of boom or cherry picker to cut it down a little at a time. No cheap way to do it, unfortunately.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I had a Silver Maple near my house. They do tend to split (a limb damaged my roof). Their roots can also reach into underground pipes, so it is good to have them removed. You may want to check Washington Checkbook to an idea where to get another estimate. But yes, they are not cheap. Be sure to check on licensing.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

My girlfriend's son has a huge tree in his front yard that will need to be removed someday. It is very close to the house. I have told him to hire a professional who knows what he is doing because having just one large branch fall the wrong way will destroy their home.

The high cost of removal just isn't worth going on the cheap for something like this. Getting multiple quotes with reputable tree services never hurts, especially if you feel the cost is high.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

flyingbison wrote:If it is that close to the houses, then they'll have to bring in some type of boom or cherry picker to cut it down a little at a time. No cheap way to do it, unfortunately.
Yes! I am sure that contributes to the high price! I am no tree expert, but I cannot see any way the tree can safely just be "felled" safely as it stands.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

$1850 is a lot but not out of the ordinary. My mother just took down an evergreen that was probably 60-70 ft tall for $2000. The tree was huge and in between two homes on similar lot sizes as yours.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 pm

dm200 wrote:
flyingbison wrote:If it is that close to the houses, then they'll have to bring in some type of boom or cherry picker to cut it down a little at a time. No cheap way to do it, unfortunately.
Yes! I am sure that contributes to the high price! I am no tree expert, but I cannot see any way the tree can safely just be "felled" safely as it stands.
Just as a point of reference, I had my tree guy take down 3 trees in my small backyard 2 years ago for $800 total. They were close enough to the house to fall on it if not done properly, but there was enough room around them to take down a section at a time.

The same guy took down 3 similar sized tree for my next door neighbor this winter. These trees were between our houses, on his property. It cost him over $2,000.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm

I got at least 10 quotes+ with stump removed and picked the 2nd lowest. The estimate range from 1500-450. Of course I went with the $500. The highest one trying to rip you off, the lowest one trying to cut corners. I can't even tell that there was a tree there before.

Dont get rip off with tree companies.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:42 pm

From what I've heard, that sounds like an ok price in many areas. It's never cheap.

If it's not healthy and it's that close to not only your house, but also a neighbor's, I'd bite the bullet and have it removed before the winter weather comes back.

Get another bid or two though to make sure you're getting a good price.

Doing multiple trees at once might help with the per tree cost if any of your immediate neighbors has trees they want removed and you find an operator willing to bid both of you as one job.

And just to get my two cents in on alternatives: hazardous tree removal is one of the last jobs out there I'd hire an operator without a license and insurance, regardless of how cheap somebody else says they'll do it.

cody69

Post by cody69 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

I just got a quote to remove three trees on my place, and I too, was a bit surprised at the cost.
But the quotes I received were more modest than what you've been quoted.

The quote was a bundled price to remove three trees and use a bucket truck to trim a large limb starting to encroach the house, and grind two of the stumps. I did ask how much the big maple in the front was, and was told $650 and $75 to grind the stump. He said they'd come out about 3' from the base and grind the roots so it will be flat yard when finished.

I'm in the north east, a high cost area, so as others have recommended, you may want to get a second quote.

In my case, the guy was recommended by several friends, so I gave the green flag to proceed. BTW, they tend to have several weeks backlog, so keep that in mind when you think about schedules.

Good luck.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 pm

It is not required to actually remove the stump, so we won't do that. Stump removal would be an ADDITIONAL $650.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Yes, I would get more quotes, and also REQUIRE a certificate of insurance from the outfit you choose.

Sounds like you have an issue of deployment. Quite simply it costs money to have heavy equipment and manpower brought to the site and deployed for only one tree. Do you have any other trees/limbs you want removed? They might be able to do significant extra work for not much extra cost since the equipment and guys are already there.

I live in NH and had about 10-12 skinny (but very tall) pines taken down 2 years ago. Cost about $3000 IIRC. Taking down one probably would have cost $1500+

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 pm

That seems expensive but I live in NJ. I have had an oak, maple (pool installation) and spruces (6 due to Sandy) removed for ~ $400 each including stump grinding over the last 10 years.

I would get more quotes and would make sure they have insurance - they cut corners by hiring undocumented workers.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

In my old house, we had a big oak that fell and we had to get it removed. Instead of removing the stump, we left the stump at a table height. Created a hole in the center of the stump for an umbrella and put some chairs around it. Built a nice little garden there :-)

Then a few years later there was this guy was offering me to cut down supposedly dying tree for free so long as he can take the wood. It turned out that it was American Cherry tree and worth a lot :-). I obviously didn't fall for that.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Thesues wrote: Then a few years later there was this guy was offering me to cut down supposedly dying tree for free so long as he can take the wood. It turned out that it was American Cherry tree and worth a lot :-). I obviously didn't fall for that.
Every year an idiot showed up at my previous house offering to "cut down that dead tree," which was rare deciduous tree. Beware of people with chainsaws and no arborist knowledge.

I am somewhat astonished at the quote the OP got for removing the stump. I have had this done twice for about $50. I don't know why people spend hundreds of dollars having trees cut down and then leave the ugly stumps when a stump grinding machine can take them out with little effort.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm

If it is not an emergency maybe get an estimate in Nov or Dec. I got a tree removed for a quarter of the other quotes I was getting in HCOL ny.

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

dm200 wrote:We have an old Silver maple that needs to be removed. It is still alive, but not "healthy". It is the last of three still standing, where the other two from when we bought the house 38 years ago have fallen down. I suspect that this remaining tree may be suffering from the same sort of interior trunk "issues" that caused them to fall. I receiced a quote (good for six months) of $1,850 to remove the tree (but not the stump). We live on a narrow lot (62.5 ft) and the tree is midway between our house and the neighbor (but on our property). It is about 12-15 ft from each house.

Ideas!
Usually a four person job. Probably take the better part of a day. In my area, a well trained crew cost $200 per person per day. The foreman more. Overhead, call it $1000 for a crew of four for the day. Then depreciation on the truck and equipment. The rest is office expense and profit. Sounds about right.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:20 pm

What size/Caliper ? A tree taken down now ,leafless would weigh hundreds less than in leaf. A large tree ? One you can not wrap both arms around would weigh tons .

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:27 pm

My thoughts have always been that there should be interurban loggers that pay for trees. -- Tet

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 pm

dm200 wrote:We have an old Silver maple that needs to be removed. It is still alive, but not "healthy". It is the last of three still standing, where the other two from when we bought the house 38 years ago have fallen down. I suspect that this remaining tree may be suffering from the same sort of interior trunk "issues" that caused them to fall. I receiced a quote (good for six months) of $1,850 to remove the tree (but not the stump). We live on a narrow lot (62.5 ft) and the tree is midway between our house and the neighbor (but on our property). It is about 12-15 ft from each house.

Ideas!

What ever you do, go with an arborist. My parents have had many trees taken down with lots of lines overhead. The arborists had the right equipment to cut down and remove trees with little damage to yard and no damage to house.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 pm

I had a silver maple in the back, right next to the house. The trunk was about 4-5 feet in diameter. When it got sick (those trees have a relatively short life) it was $2000 to remove it. Always get at least three bids.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 pm

mouses wrote:
Thesues wrote: Then a few years later there was this guy was offering me to cut down supposedly dying tree for free so long as he can take the wood. It turned out that it was American Cherry tree and worth a lot :-). I obviously didn't fall for that.
Every year an idiot showed up at my previous house offering to "cut down that dead tree," which was rare deciduous tree. Beware of people with chainsaws and no arborist knowledge.

I am somewhat astonished at the quote the OP got for removing the stump. I have had this done twice for about $50. I don't know why people spend hundreds of dollars having trees cut down and then leave the ugly stumps when a stump grinding machine can take them out with little effort.
+1

The last time I had to pay separately for stumps to be ground, it was $50-100/stump depending upon the size of the stump.

About a year ago I had two trees taken down and a couple of others trimmed. These guys included grinding the two stumps and hauling off the sawdust in their price.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm

I had a giant Eucalyptus tree removed about 5 years ago. It was 80 feet tall with a 60 foot wide crown and 3+ feet in diameter trunk. It was huge. It was growing fine but was too close to the house. The job was $3K including stump removal and then grinding down to 12 inches below grade. It took all day for a crew of 5 with three trucks and a big crane to cut down the tree and remove the branches and all the wood. Then it took another 4 hours for another contractor to grind down the stump. There is no market for the wood so they had to pay to dump it. It was a big job.

$2K for a similar tree sounds like a good price to me if they have to bring in a crane.

Good Luck.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:03 pm

1850 is high without removing stump. Call around. In Midwest for a tree about 50 ft high and 4 ft. dia trunk about 600-900.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:51 pm

dm200 wrote:It is not required to actually remove the stump, so we won't do that. Stump removal would be an ADDITIONAL $650.
Well, just from the cost of stump removal, I'd say that the guy quoting you is high priced. $650 to remove a trunk?! I'd say that the average cost for stump removal is about $2.50-$3.00 per diameter inch----and I'd find it hard to believe that the diameter of your (future) stump is up at 200+ inches.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

jnet2000

Post by jnet2000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Get multiple quotes and get referrals. We took out about $ 10,000 worth of diseased trees over the last few years. We used 3 different companies and each one was much different in how they scheduled and how clean their work was. The price you got doesn't seem high to me, in CA. Don't skimp out and make sure they are a legit company.
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:24 pm

We just had a ~20-30ft birch up against the house removed and stump ground.

$300 total cost.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

celia

Post by celia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:32 pm

With whomever you choose to do the work, make sure they have worker's comp and liability insurance. Better check your own liability insurance policy to see what is/isn't covered. You don't want to pay if either house is damaged, or someone is hurt. Those things are more important to me than the cost of removal.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:41 pm

We paid about that for removal of an aged and dying willow tree, about 60 feet tall, and they took it down one chunk at a time after the smaller branches were removed. There was no way to get large equipment in, so they did it with ropes, pulleys, chain saws and a ground crew of four. You don't realize it until you see it happening, but those "small chunks" weigh 2-300 lbs each. The technique is in part about the safety of the workmen. (Just google "tree cutting fails" for video examples of idiots who put their lives at risk by doing it wrong.)

Be sure to ask for proof of insurance. It's a common request, and if the firm is at all reliable/experienced, they'll have zero problem providing it.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:48 pm

It was about seven years ago, but we had a silver maple that was starting to split and hang dangerously over the house. One estimate to remove it was $1,600. The second was $800. We accepted that one, and they removed it, stump and all, but there might have been a misunderstanding of some kind because they left a fairly substantial pile of wood chips (which I hadn't expected). I just shrugged it off because my wife thought they'd be good on her garden and, you know, the less organic stuff removed the better, but it did take a lot of trips with a wheelbarrow to move it from the front of the house back to the garden. Anyway, my two data points are that, (a), $1,600 isn't a crazy number, and (b), you can get very different estimates for the same job.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Decomposing wood chips takes nitrogen from the soil

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Jags4186 wrote:$1850 is a lot but not out of the ordinary. My mother just took down an evergreen that was probably 60-70 ft tall for $2000. The tree was huge and in between two homes on similar lot sizes as yours.
She got off cheap. I had a 75-80ft oak with a similar wingspan(in between my home and two others) taken down with a crane and a fellow in a bucket. Took a day and another 3 hours to grind the stump 6 inches below grade. Cost me $4,000 on a lot similar to OP's. After reaching the last 12 inches of stump, they found the tree was decaying from the inside out. If that tree had fallen, my house would have been destroyed, someone could have gotten hurt. Trees that size belong in a forest.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Ideas!
This is the reason I moved from Boston to Houston

I paid $200 [OT comment removed by moderator prudent] here for the same job

Did I mention I hate Boston so much?

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm

I had a huge silver maple close to my house removed in 2014 for $1580. I calculated labor to be 32 hours divided among the crew. That's a lot of labor.

I had several bids with huge variations in pricing. The mom and pop, probably uninsured, outfit was the most expensive. I went with a large professional company, and they were also the most reasonable. The internal core of the tree was completely rotten. Smart move on my part.

I wouldn't bother with stump removal if you're okay with some DIY treatment over a few years to help it decay. Three years later, it's decaying rapidly.

I'd like to slap the previous owner for planting a silver maple so close to a structure!

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Roughly what's the diameter at the base?
If they can cut it off fairly close to the ground, say 6" or so, and assuming you don't have these tools, you can rent a drill with massive torque like a Milwaukee Super Hawg (or buy one and sell it afterwards) and buy a ship auger bit (~1" diameter, or maybe 1.5" if it's a large diameter stump) and drill a bunch of holes in the face of the stump as deep as you can, and either fill the holes with salt or fill them with some stump breakdown chemical. It may take a few years but eventually it will breakdown, and then a few whacks with an 8 lb maul and what's left will be below the ground and you can cover it over.

gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:15 pm

You people must all live in the city. I see mention of trucks, booms, Cherry Pickers etc.
Down south "Climbers" take them down from the bottom up then the trunk on their way back down. The man or men on the ground run the chipper. By the time the Climber is back down on the ground the ground is clean and they are ready to move to the next job.

No insurance...What insurance company would insure a Redneck running a chainsaw 40 feet up in a tree?
Actually, they are very clever. They put ropes on all long branches so they fall hanging parallel to the trunk and are then lowered to the ground. All branches end up next to the trunk (and the chipper)..Gordon
Disciple of John Neff

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 pm

gwrvmd wrote:You people must all live in the city. I see mention of trucks, booms, Cherry Pickers etc.
Down south "Climbers" take them down from the bottom up then the trunk on their way back down. The man or men on the ground run the chipper. By the time the Climber is back down on the ground the ground is clean and they are ready to move to the next job.

No insurance...What insurance company would insure a Redneck running a chainsaw 40 feet up in a tree?
Actually, they are very clever. They put ropes on all long branches so they fall hanging parallel to the trunk and are then lowered to the ground. All branches end up next to the trunk (and the chipper)..Gordon
That was the way "my tree crew" was 15 years ago when I began using them.

Now they have a remote-controlled "crawler" from which a bucket is elevated. Damnedest contraption I've ever seen. When they took down a large oak, a smaller oak, and trimmed two other trees last year, they were finished in three hours (except for the stump-grinding which was done by others the following day) including loading everything up on their trucks for removal. They did also use one Bobcat. What a difference technology has made for their jobs!

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 am

I am surprised by some of the high quotes - I live in an urban area and like i previous mentioned it was ~$400/per tree. After Superstorm Sandy (remember it was not a hurricane); otherwise, insurance would not cover it.

I had six >75 ft tall spruces removed along the side of my house (the previous owner planted those nice $0.99 mail order trees 40 years ago). Two were toppled but missed the house but damaged my fencing. The crew cut them at the base and actually lifted them over my house with a boom truck and placed the whole tree in the shredder - it was impressive. I just feared they would drop them on the house. They needed 3 trucks to cart away the mess.

I have an oak and maple were removed previously by climbers in early spring before leaves for the same pricing.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:58 am

I had a Dutch elm removed from my backyard a few years ago for $3000 and others for $800-$1000...the fun of homeownership. Get a couple of other bids and work with am arborist to see if there are other options.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 am

gwrvmd wrote:No insurance...What insurance company would insure a Redneck running a chainsaw 40 feet up in a tree?
The same insurance company that insures demolition crews and companies that use explosives to clear rock and other debris. Sure, it is high-risk compared to insuring an accountant, but I'm sure the cost reflects that. Maybe that is why the costs of removing a tree are so high.

My house is worth too much to use an uninsured tree company to remove a tree that could potentially destroy it because I assumed Rednecks with chainsaws can't get insurance.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 am

That number sounds a little high but not at all unusual. As everyone noted the tree will have to be taken down limb by limb so they don't damage your house. And if the space is so narrow they can't drive a bucket truck up to it the crew will have to climb it and work by hand- that it slow and dangerous work = expensive.

People see tree work as low skill and expect it to be cheap. It's not. The equipment like the bucket truck, grapple truck for hauling it away, strump grinder tc all adds up, plus its very dangerous work so the crew needs expensive liability insurance.

Don't scrimp on tree work. If most bids a re 4 figures and you get one that's 500 the lowball is usually an uninsured hack with a chainsaw and a pickup. If he gets hurt (all too easy in this work) you can be financially ruined. Do it right.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 am

Price may be ok in a HCOL area like DC, but as others have suggested, get a couple more quotes. You need to be sure that whoever does the work is insured and has workmen's comp and provides reference. Do not take their word for that, have them show you proof of insurance. Tree work can be dangerous and removal can be somewhat unpredictable, especially if the tree is already diseased.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am

Ideas!
seems high. won't necessarily need a cherry picker if they guy knows what he's doing and can climb and drop. ask about a cash discount.

Also make sure you clearly ask how the wood is disposed of. Some places charge extra for that, or, they take the brush (which they can mulch) and leave you w/ the logs and stump to dispose of yourself.

westie

Post by westie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:57 am

Cheaper to have a tree cut down than have it fall on it's own exposing the root ball. Tree companies then have to bring in a front loader to remove the root ball, adding to the cost.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 am

F150HD wrote:
Ideas!
seems high. won't necessarily need a cherry picker if they guy knows what he's doing and can climb and drop. ask about a cash discount.
Also make sure you clearly ask how the wood is disposed of. Some places charge extra for that, or, they take the brush (which they can mulch) and leave you w/ the logs and stump to dispose of yourself.
Yes, the quote specifically says all wood, debris, etc, will be completely removed

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:15 am

If you get a variety of bids from reputable tree outfits, you'll have a good a idea of both the prevailing rates and the specifics of your job. What other people paid for somewhat similar jobs in other places can provide some range but not any precision.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:23 am

Get 2 more quotes. What's the harm in that, will only cost you a little time.

Why would a stump grind be $650? Maybe it's a different part of the country but a typical stump here in NE Ohio is under $100 for sure.