What to do with books

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

What to do with books

Post by Buster65 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:51 am

I have piles of hard cover and some paperback books from the last decade or so. Many are finance related but not all. Is their a way to ship them all to Amazon and have them sell for me? Seems like listing them one by one and selling them will not be worth the effort and mostly the profit gets offset by shipping cost. Maybe I should just donate them. Any thoughts?

climber2020

Re: What to do with books

Post by climber2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

Put them in boxes and drop them off at Goodwill or some other donation place. I sell stuff on Craigslist and have found that books are very difficult to get rid of. Ebay and Amazon are options, but that process may require more effort than you want to put in for a relatively small financial gain.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am

I recommend donating. Many libraries run "used book sales" with donated books as well as their own discards. Local AAUW chapter runs sales to benefit scholarship for women. If you have anything you feel might be valuable or a classic, check the "sold" listings on eBay to estimate value - the offering prices mean nothing. If you itemize, check that the organization is 501(c)3.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 am

I believe you are coming to the right conclusion that its not worth the time and effort to try to squeak out a few dollars by selling them.

There are LOTs of places that will take them as a donation. Local librarie, Big-Brother-Big-Sister (in some locales they will even pick them up), etc.

dowse

Post by dowse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:00 am

Take them to a nearby thrift store. Ask for a receipt, then you can claim a nominal amount as a charitable tax deduction.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

Other options:
Take them to a used book store, such as half price books.
Donate them to your local library, which will almost always resell them
Donate to goodwill
See if there are any ebay resellers in town, who'll take them on consignment and sell them for you
You could also sell them yourself on ebay, but it might not be worth the hassle. Do be aware that you can ship books via usps at the "media mail" rate:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Making-the-Most ... 588/g.html

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am

+1 to donate. If you itemize deductions, get a receipt.

I no longer let books pile up. After reading I immediately give away/donate 95%. There are a few (very few) that I keep on a small shelf.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am

My local public library has a donation box so I simply drop them off whenever I get a group of books together. I found Amazon to be a bigger hassle than it was worth but that is certainly an option.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am

When I retired in January 2014 and moved north to Portland, I donated about twenty boxes of books to my library.
Gordon

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:22 am

random_walker_77 wrote:Other options:
Take them to a used book store, such as half price books.

+1 for Half Price Books, if at the end of the day, you MUST make some small amount of money for your books.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am

I donate old books to operation paperback, they broker donation requests to armed service folks overseas. Often they'll have specific requests so you'll know whether someone specifically wants a type of book.

They'll give you a US domestic APO zip and you pay shipping.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 am

We have used a local book drop for Better World Books...
Link

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:40 am

Our experience differs. I'd suggest calling your library or Goodwill, etc before you load the books in your car. In my area not only does Goodwill not pickup, but they do not accept book donations. None of the local libraries accept books either; just too many to handle I'm told.

In a short move a couple of years ago we tried a garage sale after failing to donate books. At the end we tried giving a free book(s) to anyone who came, no purchase necessary!

Sadly most went to the curb on trash day.

spitty

Post by spitty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 am

We donate books to our local animal shelter thrift shop--and get a tax receipt, of course.

uncaD

Post by uncaD » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:52 am

Buster65 wrote:I have piles of hard cover and some paperback books from the last decade or so. Many are finance related but not all. Is their a way to ship them all to Amazon and have them sell for me? Seems like listing them one by one and selling them will not be worth the effort and mostly the profit gets offset by shipping cost. Maybe I should just donate them. Any thoughts?

Amazon does allow you to "trade in" many higher-value used books for amazon gift cards. Search for the book on Amazon and look for the "trade in now" button on the left of the detail page. You ship as you would if you were returning something to Amazon, and shipping is free.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am

Buster65 wrote:I have piles of hard cover and some paperback books from the last decade or so. Many are finance related but not all. Is their a way to ship them all to Amazon and have them sell for me? Seems like listing them one by one and selling them will not be worth the effort and mostly the profit gets offset by shipping cost. Maybe I should just donate them. Any thoughts?

Unless they are rarities, or actual finance textbooks, they usually are not worth much.

I'd try to get rid of the vast majority of them to charity or a local library, winnow down to the 1 in 20 that might be worth something.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 am

Valuethinker wrote:Unless they are rarities, or actual finance textbooks, they usually are not worth much.

Paperbacks sell for a quarter to 50 cents in this area. Hardback bestsellers maybe a couple of bucks or so while they are still on the list. So the deduction value for books for taxes is virtually nil in terms of FMV. Recent non-fiction I pass along to someone I know who might be interested. Paperbacks I can leave at the senior center - they will put them on their book swap shelf or recycle them.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.