How much to pay a housekeeper?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Luckywon

How much to pay a housekeeper?

Post by Luckywon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am

I have a housekeeper that comes two days a week, 8 hours per day (she does laundry as well as clean). I pay her $120/day.

This has been the same rate for two years now and I think it's time to raise it. Would love to get a sense of what other people pay a regular housekeeper. This probably varies by location so for reference, I live in Los Angeles.

Added detail: I give her 3 weeks bonus year end.
Last edited by Luckywon on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andyrunner

Re: How much to pay a housekeeper?

Post by Andyrunner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 am

We have a cleaning lady that comes every other week. She spends ~4 hours cleaning our house and we pay her $80, which I'm told is a bargain. We also live in the midwest.

Also I question, if they is basically self-employed, aren't they the one who determines what they charge? If you like them and trust them, then maybe raise their rate, but at the same time, if they aren't asking, why do it?

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am

16 hours of cleaning per week? Dang..
Last edited by jlcnuke on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am

We give our gal a raise every couple years. We are currently at $140 for about 8 hours work. Also in California but cheaper place than LA. I would probably bump your gal to $140 if you like her.

As to the other comment about it being their business so they should ask for a raise... I think the dynamics of domestic help is different than a true "business." In my opinion it's appropriate to give raises every so often. Presumably the difference in money means little to you so why be cheap.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:45 am

I pay a company (not an individual housekeeper) to come do a full house cleaning every other week (3k+ sq ft). They do a good job, probably takes 2 people 2-3 hours per service visit. I pay about $140 after tax per visit. I think it's a little on the high side. Major city in the South.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am

You can find local rates through http://www.care.com. In LA they show 1181 housekeepers available at an average rate of $13.25 per hour. Looking at specific postings on the site shows wide range of rates.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:51 am

I have a housekeeper come every couple of weeks and pay $100 a visit. She spends about 3.5 hours. Residence is in the D.C. Metro area.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

I can't contribute from "housekeeper experience", but $120/day and 8hrs/day = $15/hour

That seems like a very fair rate in my opinion. You may want to bump if you really like them and want to make sure you keep them.

I live in the Midwest and that is around the rate a lot of lower level factory workers get paid.
:beer
Last edited by knpstr on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

This may or may not be helpful..... condo 2br/2bath.... Miami, Florida..... we use a service every other week that has some continuity of service personnel. Sometimes they send two, sometimes three and supply all their own cleaners, mops, vacuum, etc. They are very thorough and periodically even wipe the plant's leafs. They hustle pretty good too and are generally here by 9 AM and handle everything in about 1.5 hours for two and closer to 1 when three arrive. That would equate to about three labor hours for $90. From shopping around that is about the going rate here except these folks do a much better job than others we have tried and they show up when they are supposed too.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

I believe the "fair" amount depends greatly on the area, as well as what she earns on the other day(s) for others.

Do you give her a year end or holiday or Christmas bonus as well?

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

Luckywon wrote:I have a housekeeper that comes two days a week, 8 hours per day (she does laundry as well as clean). I pay her $120/day.

This has been the same rate for two years now and I think it's time to raise it. Would love to get a sense of what other people pay a regular housekeeper. This probably varies by location so for reference, I live in Los Angeles.

Of course, this is a public forum and I presume you're following IRS rules regarding housekeeping wages and taxes. A housekeeper is not an independent contractor but an employee:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc756.html

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

dm200 wrote:I believe the "fair" amount depends greatly on the area, as well as what she earns on the other day(s) for others.

Do you give her a year end or holiday or Christmas bonus as well?

Yes, I give her 3 weeks bonus year end.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am

Services charge more because they are usually insured, bring their own supplies and someone does the scheduling and the owner needs to make a profit. House cleaning is a low skill job, but it is worth paying a little more so they don't break anything and have a clue. I've heard many stories of cleaning people not knowing how to clean certain things (marble, granite) and ruin things. My sister in law just told me her lady used Clorox wipes to try and clean a stain on the sofa!

I would imagine if the OPs cleaning lady was being paid less than she is on her other jobs, she'd ask for more or go elsewhere.

gloomydog

Post by gloomydog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am

OP is your house huge? Mine does light laundry too (i wash/dry, she folds). Cleans the house, once (sometimes twice a week). $100/time, and she takes 2.5-3 hours each time.

Why would your housekeeper need 8 hours unless she's extremely slow or your house is 6000 sf?

c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am

South Florida

My housekeeper cleans every two weeks. Four years ago, she requested $15 per hour with a minimum of four hours. Recently, I voluntarily increased it to $20 per hour. The licensed "professional" cleaning services in this area demand $40 per hour with a minimum of four hours - total $160. The cleaning services send two girls, but they do not clean any better or faster.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 am

Artsdoctor wrote:
Luckywon wrote:I have a housekeeper that comes two days a week, 8 hours per day (she does laundry as well as clean). I pay her $120/day.

Of course, this is a public forum and I presume you're following IRS rules regarding housekeeping wages and taxes. A housekeeper is not an independent contractor but an employee:

A housekeeper may be an independent contractor.

From the relevant IRS publication: "If only the worker can control how the work is done, the worker is not your employee but is self-employed. A self-employed worker usually provides his or her own tools and offers services to the general public in an independent business."

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm

^ I would venture a guess that most housekeepers arrive to work with the supplies that have been given to them. In other words, most housekeepers have not purchased brooms, mops, cleaning supplies, or most other items that a self-employed person might use.

If you hire a cleaning company that's a different story. And if your housekeeper's supplies are all her own equipment, I would think the IRS would agree that she is an independent contractor.

But before we go back and forth with IRS definitions, we should remind ourselves that we're a financial forum that doesn't venture into territory where common practice doesn't necessarily conform with the tax law.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm

How confusing. Never thought about a housekeeper as anything but a cleaning service, even if they were given supplies and equipment. That's sure a can of worms. I don't think we're talking about a full time person, and if someone did 2-3 homes a day, they'd potentially have more than a dozen employers. Surely, that's not what the taxman had in mind, but who knows. However, 16 hours a day is an awful lot of cleaning and it's possible the worker only has 2 sites. It's the same issue with Uber keeping their drivers as contractors. Very gray areas regarding unclear laws.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/28437 ... tor-or-not

Having to deal with employee matters would be too much to pay for if that was an issue and I'd look for a bonafide cleaning service that would use my supplies and equipment (maybe bringing some of their own for some things).

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:

I consider the cleaners I contract with to be independent. I pay them for 2 people for about 1/2 hour to 45 min of work. I pay $72.00.for each visit.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:22 am

I don't know how much you should pay because that depends on a lot of factors including how much work there is to be done and pay for housekeepers in the local market, but you should be giving a slight increase in pay on a yearly basis even if it is just to keep up with inflation. I never had a job that didn't give at least a small cost of living increase even when there were layoffs and other cost-saving initiatives. I would have felt very unappreciated had that not been the case.

Something else to consider is that even though you probably are not expected to provide any benefits, something like offering some flexibility in days or hours might be appreciated and also cost you nothing. You can also make a special effort to make sure that the housekeeper's preferred foods for lunch are always available if that is the custom.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Gotta know how big your house is. Based on what information you've given us I think a raise to $130 or maybe $135/day would be appropriate if you want to give one.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 pm

LarryAllen wrote:We give our gal a raise every couple years. We are currently at $140 for about 8 hours work. Also in California but cheaper place than LA. I would probably bump your gal to $140 if you like her.

As to the other comment about it being their business so they should ask for a raise... I think the dynamics of domestic help is different than a true "business." In my opinion it's appropriate to give raises every so often. Presumably the difference in money means little to you so why be cheap.

+1

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:07 pm

How can a house require 16 hours of cleaning per week??

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:47 pm

reriodan wrote:How can a house require 16 hours of cleaning per week??

Some people have someone that does their laundry, change beds, ironing, and even cook meals. It's not uncommon.