Waterproof/resistant recycling bag - does it exist?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bluebolt

Waterproof/resistant recycling bag - does it exist?

Postby bluebolt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm

We have single stream recycling in my town. Plastic bags are not allowed. I have plastic bottles and aluminum cans that had liquid in them and want to put them in a liner/bag in the recycling bin in my kitchen which I can then throw in my town recycling bin. I haven't found anything that fits the bill. Does such a bag exist - waterproof/resistant and able to be recycled in single stream recycling that does not accept plastic bags?

RudyS

Re: Waterproof/resistant recycling bag - does it exist?

Postby RudyS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm

You intend to buy these bags, then discard them into the recycling bin when full? Why not just drain the liquid out of the bottles/cans, quick rinse, then put them into a paper grocery store bag that should be recyclable? Ought to be waterproof enough. My daughter does that; bags sit for a week or two sometimes.

bluebolt

Postby bluebolt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 pm

RudyS wrote:You intend to buy these bags, then discard them into the recycling bin when full? Why not just drain the liquid out of the bottles/cans, quick rinse, then put them into a paper grocery store bag that should be recyclable? Ought to be waterproof enough. My daughter does that; bags sit for a week or two sometimes.

I've tried that, but when it sits for a week in a paper bag, some liquid still leaks into the plastic bin and makes it stink. So, I end up putting plastic bag as a liner to the recycling bin in the kitchen. Then I empty the recycling into the curbside bin and throw out the plastic bag.

RudyS

Postby RudyS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm

This may be a bit far out: take the paper grocery bags, spray the bottom of the inside with silicone waterproofing stuff for shoes/camping. Don't know if it will work, or cost effectiveness, but why not try?

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 pm

The single stream recycler probably does not accept bags because it clogs up the sorting machine. So you're not going to be able to bag things.

What I do is leave the wet item on the counter to dry overnight, then put it an unlined covered kitchen trash can that I use for recycling. When that bin is full, I pop the cover off and dump the whole thing into the curbside recycle bin. But since items are dry when put into the inside recycle bin, it doesn't get smelly or nasty. There's a designated place on the kitchen counter for drying recycling products which is off in a corner and out of the way of regular kitchen use.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”