Costco battery replacement possible after a year and half?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
scorp_pccorp

Costco battery replacement possible after a year and half?

Post by scorp_pccorp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 pm

I purchased a battery in July 2015 for my car at Costco. This battery was tested at a dealer this week and was found to be going bad. Will Costco replace the battery free of charge or is it too late?

bloom2708

Re: Costco battery replacement possible after a year and half?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm

It should have a 24 or 36 month warranty at a minimum. Costco will take most anything back. The battery should have the warranty on it somewhere.

Did you have your alternator tested? A battery going bad after one year could be a bad battery or something drawing on the battery or an alternator not functioning.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm

I don't know about Costco specifically, but usually battery warranties are pro-rated. That is, if it goes bad within the warranty period, you'll get the replacement at a discounted price.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Did you have your alternator tested? A battery going bad after one year could be a bad battery or something drawing on the battery or an alternator not functioning.

Also depends on where you live.

Pretty common for batteries to go every 12-24 months in hot states, such as AZ.

Ahh, I see poster is in ND. Possibly the cold, but either a bad charging system or battery as you already stated.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:I don't know about Costco specifically, but usually battery warranties are pro-rated. That is, if it goes bad within the warranty period, you'll get the replacement at a discounted price.

True, after the replacement period. Any battery I have bought usually has a 2-3 year full replacement period. If it goes during that time frame, you get a new one.

Only problem is that the new one assumes the old warranty, it doesn't start over (at least at many stores).

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Per Costco.com:

Limited Warranty

Costco Wholesale provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser. This battery, when used in a passenger vehicle corresponding to or smaller than the vehicle manufacturer's recommended size and capacity, is free of defects in material and workmanship. This limited warranty is effective for the battery's designated warranty period, or for as long as it remains in the vehicle in which originally installed, whichever is shorter. The designated limited warranty period indicated on the battery itself.

If there is a defect in material or workmanship (not merely the battery being discharged) this limited warranty provides that upon return of the battery to any Costco Wholesale warehouse, the battery will be replaced, at purchase price, excluding fees and taxes, and be refunded, according to the life of the battery warranty as stated on the battery label. To obtain a new battery or a refund under this limited warranty, the original battery must be returned to Costco Wholesale within the warranty period. YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY WITH RESPECT TO ALL LOSSES WHATSOEVER SHALL BE AS SPECIFIED ABOVE. IN NO EVENT SHALL COSTCO WHOLESALE BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND.

TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW IN YOUR STATE OR JURISDICTION, COSTCO WHOLESALE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTY, IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY OTHER IMPLIED WARRANTY.

Proof of purchase is required for all claims. This limited warranty is void if the date coding on the battery is removed or destroyed. If more than one date is indicated, computation will be made using the earliest date indicated.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Funny, I just bought a battery today and was told to photocopy the receipt. If the original receipt fades (normal these days), the start date will be the date of manufacture (which could by 6 or 7 months ago depending on where you buy it.)

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:40 pm

pshonore wrote:Funny, I just bought a battery today and was told to photocopy the receipt. If the original receipt fades (normal these days), the start date will be the date of manufacture (which could by 6 or 7 months ago depending on where you buy it.)

I've noticed that fading as well. So, I make a copy of the receipt that I keep in the car info folder that won't fade away. Then I put another copy along with the original receipt in my "car" file inside the home. Haven't ran into any issues thus far, as the transaction info is clearly available on the copy, and the business can easily find the receipt in their system. It has worked fine so far for tires and batteries.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Yes. No receipt needed. They will scan your membership and find it.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Yes. They will replace it but will prorate it. So you will not get full price back. I had old 100 month warranty Battery gone bad after about 54 months. They just refunded the prorated money and I had to buy new one. Costco refused to go total of 100 months. They no longer sell those batteries.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm

dbltrbl wrote:Yes. They will replace it but will prorate it. So you will not get full price back. I had old 100 month warranty Battery gone bad after about 54 months. They just refunded the prorated money and I had to buy new one. Costco refused to go total of 100 months. They no longer sell those batteries.

I never had a battery prorated at Costco. I've returned at least 5.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Costco takes care of their customers. If anyone is going to extend your warranty it's going to be them.