Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
financial.freedom
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 am

Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby financial.freedom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Our garage floor was painted over. After only 2 years, a lot of the paint has chipped off and is exposing cracks in the concrete. We are thinking of having the cracks sealed and epoxy professional surfacing. I've also seen polished concrete that looks nice but might be slippery. Any suggestions for garage surfacing?

Thank you in advance!

texasdiver
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby texasdiver » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

I painted my last garage floor with the Rustoleum garage floor paint and was pretty satisfied but it is a tremendous amount of work to prep the concrete.

If yours is coming up it may not have been properly prepped. You may have to hire a company to sandplast it or strip it and start over.

I'm thinking about hiring a professional company to do my new garage. At least get estimates. The epoxy used by the professionals is completely different from the kits you get from Home Depot.

Anyone else have their garage floor professionally expoxied? How much did you pay?

JDot
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby JDot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I just etched and painted our concrete sidewalk and front concrete patio. My wife wanted me to do it. I was skeptical. It turned out very well. I think it's trendy to paint sidewalks, etc. now. A word of caution, you should investigate whether your garage was previously sealed. If it was previously sealed, that might explain why the paint is coming off. If it's sealed, you need to buy a separate chemical to "etch" it before you paint it or the paint will never get into the pores properly.

I had to use the etching chemical twice on the front patio to remove the sealer before painting. We've lived there for 7 years so I assume the sealer was applied many years ago, and it still took a bit of work to remove it. I had to do two coats with the special concrete paint/sealer after etching.

Good luck!

littlebird
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby littlebird » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Garage and driveway epoxying was very popular here in senior enclaves west of Phoenix. My garage was done professionally, including a rollered-on design, about 35 years ago. It's still in good condition except for a spot or two where something must have spilled and remove the finish. It's certainly still attractive and a lot easier to clean than bare concrete.

lazydavid
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby lazydavid » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm

I've actually seen some really great garage floors done in porcelain tile of all things. it's durable, doesn't stain, and if you select a decent one, highly non-slip. If you look around for clearance tile, you can get some pretty great deals--and presumably you're not looking for a particular style to match your decor, so you don't have to be quite as choosy.

One guy accidentally dropped the 3.2L straight-six out of his M3 on his floor, and was surprised that it didn't even crack. So it's way more durable than you'd think. If you spread thinset on both the concrete and the back of the tile (so there aren't any voids), you wind up with a floor that's actually stronger than the concrete it sits on.

I intend to do this at some point, but am not looking forward to taking everything out of the garage to actually get the job done. Here's one example:

Image

JDot
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby JDot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm

lazydavid wrote:I've actually seen some really great garage floors done in porcelain tile of all things. it's durable, doesn't stain, and if you select a decent one, highly non-slip. If you look around for clearance tile, you can get some pretty great deals--and presumably you're not looking for a particular style to match your decor, so you don't have to be quite as choosy.

One guy accidentally dropped the 3.2L straight-six out of his M3 on his floor, and was surprised that it didn't even crack. So it's way more durable than you'd think. If you spread thinset on both the concrete and the back of the tile (so there aren't any voids), you wind up with a floor that's actually stronger than the concrete it sits on.

I intend to do this at some point, but am not looking forward to taking everything out of the garage to actually get the job done. Here's one example:

Image


Wow, that's nice. Glad my wife doesn't check this page.

Inverted Pyramid
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby Inverted Pyramid » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 pm

If you go the tile route you will need a tile rated group 4 or higher https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/flooring/porcelain-tile-rated-hardness/

WildBill
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby WildBill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Howdy

Sort of depends on what you do in your garage and what you have now.

If you do a lot of things that might lead to heavy objects being dropped or skidded on the surface, or spill stuff on the floor, you are likely going to beat up the epoxy flooring. In that case go with the concrete finish. Both have a fair amount of work required for surface prepping.

I like the tile idea. Should be durable and a minimum of surface prepping.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

nordsteve
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:23 am

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby nordsteve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm

I saw a similar tile floor when visiting my parents in Sun City West. It was very nice.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby lthenderson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm

I've been in all types but I prefer au-natural for my concrete. I find I spend more time in the garage actually doing work than maintaining the appearance of a floor I park on.

Vanguard Fan 1367
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I am enjoying my garage floor in my latest home of epoxy. My other garages have been just regular unpolished concrete.

Jimmie
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby Jimmie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:03 pm

About 12 years ago, I applied what Behr Paint from Home Depot calls "1 part Epoxy Garage Paint".

http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/floor-coatings-sealers-and-prep/behr-premium-one-part-epoxy-concrete-and-garage-floor-paint

I spent a lot of time roughing up the improperly sealed surface from when the house was built in 1990. I then followed the manufacturer's instructions to properly etch the surface. Next was a primer. After that, I applied the paint. The total of all components was less than $100.

Every year after that, much to the confusion of the Home Depot Paint Guy, I pressure washed the garage, then applied another coat - less than $30 a can. One gallon did a larger two-car garage. The Home Depot guy disagreed with the need to do it every year, but thought I should rough it up if I did opt to re-paint it so soon. I never did and had no problems.

Now that I have given it a nice fresh coat for several years, unless I mess it up by painting something on the garage floor or being sloppy with welding, I can skip a year or two. Pressure washing makes it good as new, even after a bad Ohio winter with all the salt droppings from the cars.

Dividing up the cost over the years, it has proven to have been an extremely cheap way to have a beautiful garage floor. We have an annual BBQ and I set up the food in my garage. It looks as nice as many people's basements.

User avatar
chickadee
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby chickadee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Had our garage professionally epoxied two years ago. We've really enjoyed it. It's medium grey, with cream, black and grey chips. Kinda like grey granite. It blows those epoxy and chip kit things from HD out of the water. Our installer didn't use acid to etch, but rather ground the floor mechanically. It looked like brand new concrete when he was done, then he painted it, scattered the chips, sealed it, etc. I think he painted it one day and sealed it the next. I didn't put the non slip grit into the top coat, which was an option, but probably would if I had it to do over. Our driveway is a bit steep, and the garage level. When it rains, we tend to lose traction on the way in. Maybe $1200? $1500? Can't remember exactly, but totally worth it.

texasdiver
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby texasdiver » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 am

chickadee wrote:Had our garage professionally epoxied two years ago. We've really enjoyed it. It's medium grey, with cream, black and grey chips. Kinda like grey granite. It blows those epoxy and chip kit things from HD out of the water. Our installer didn't use acid to etch, but rather ground the floor mechanically. It looked like brand new concrete when he was done, then he painted it, scattered the chips, sealed it, etc. I think he painted it one day and sealed it the next. I didn't put the non slip grit into the top coat, which was an option, but probably would if I had it to do over. Our driveway is a bit steep, and the garage level. When it rains, we tend to lose traction on the way in. Maybe $1200? $1500? Can't remember exactly, but totally worth it.


How big is your garage? 1, 2, or 3 car?

financial.freedom
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 am

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby financial.freedom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you for all of the replies!

I found a company that will remove the current paint that is chipping, grind/prep cement, seal cracks, epoxy, and put a polyurethane coating over the top for $4 per square foot.

Someone mentioned cosmesis above. Sure, that's part of it. But also, family is tracking the paint chips into the house from the garage, making a mess.

From reading about it (and some of the replies above concur), it seems the industrial epoxy may be a little more sturdy than the stuff from Home Depot. And it would probably take me a lot longer to do it myself. They state it can be done in one day. Also, seems like a hassle to remove everything from the garage and repaint every year.

Their warranty for chipping/peeling is 4-years, but they state it usually lasts 10-20 years.

Thank you again!

BW1985
Posts: 1482
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby BW1985 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm

financial.freedom wrote:Thank you for all of the replies!

I found a company that will remove the current paint that is chipping, grind/prep cement, seal cracks, epoxy, and put a polyurethane coating over the top for $4 per square foot.

Someone mentioned cosmesis above. Sure, that's part of it. But also, family is tracking the paint chips into the house from the garage, making a mess.

From reading about it (and some of the replies above concur), it seems the industrial epoxy may be a little more sturdy than the stuff from Home Depot. And it would probably take me a lot longer to do it myself. They state it can be done in one day. Also, seems like a hassle to remove everything from the garage and repaint every year.

Their warranty for chipping/peeling is 4-years, but they state it usually lasts 10-20 years.

Thank you again!


How did you find someone who does this? I'd like to get a quote as well, mine is all cracked and constanly 'dusting'.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

mrsytf
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby mrsytf » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:40 pm

We had ours done two years ago, mostly because the garage is the unofficial entrance to the house and I couldn't stand how it looked. It was $5 per square foot. They emptied the garage for me. I basically said, "keep or discard". Twenty minutes later garage was empty.

I would google "garage interiors" or so the same on home advisor.com to get folks in your area.

MulesFan
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby MulesFan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Last summer I walked outside in bare feet during a rain storm to bring to dog food dish inside. Stepped back into the basement (very smooth finish concrete floor) and slipped around a bit. I thought to myself "oh, I'd better be careful, this floor is treacherous when it gets wet". Took 2 or 3 more steps, the dog dish hit the ceiling & I hit the floor. Result- trip to ER, two broken wrists (surgery on one of them), 6 weeks that ranged from miserable to inconvenient, 14 physical therapy sessions and a lot of money spent because of a small bit of water on my feet on a smooth floor.

Please be cognizant of the potential for falling if you go with smooth concrete. I'm trying to figure out a way to rough up our concrete. Our garage is also smooth & several times before I had attempted to do the splits because a little bit of water got on the floor. I don't want to go through this again.

Jimmie
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby Jimmie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 am

MulesFan wrote:Last summer I walked outside in bare feet during a rain storm to bring to dog food dish inside. Stepped back into the basement (very smooth finish concrete floor) and slipped around a bit. I thought to myself "oh, I'd better be careful, this floor is treacherous when it gets wet". Took 2 or 3 more steps, the dog dish hit the ceiling & I hit the floor. Result- trip to ER, two broken wrists (surgery on one of them), 6 weeks that ranged from miserable to inconvenient, 14 physical therapy sessions and a lot of money spent because of a small bit of water on my feet on a smooth floor.

Please be cognizant of the potential for falling if you go with smooth concrete. I'm trying to figure out a way to rough up our concrete. Our garage is also smooth & several times before I had attempted to do the splits because a little bit of water got on the floor. I don't want to go through this again.

The double edged-sword with garage floors is this: Having a rough surface aids with traction when it is wet. The rough surface attracts dirt since it is somewhat abrasive. It shows signs of wear faster. Smooth floors are dangerous when wet for the reasons cited above, but they clean up easier with a pressure washer, broom, or shop-vac.

My smooth epoxy floor is supplemented with 2' wide carpet runners on the driver's side of both cars. The runners are the entire length of the cars so we can get back to the trunk safely when the floor is wet from rain or melted snow. The area behind the cars is pitched, so no water collects there.

radiowave
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby radiowave » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 am

I've seen matting for garage floors, can't remember if it was Home Depot or Lowes. It's like a puzzle, you put the pieces together for the floor space you want. I remember it was expensive so I wound up not doing that project. One other tip for the garage, when we moved into our current home a few years ago, there was unfinished drywall for the entire garage, so I painted ceiling and walls white and it really brightens up a typically dark garage. I also put in 48 in fluorescent lighting to replace the dingy single overhead bulbs.

NibbanaBanana
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby NibbanaBanana » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 am

I had new concrete and applied a good coat of Thompson's Water Seal and let it soak in. It worked excellently for keeping the concrete dust from coming up and was very cheap. Also helps to prevent stains from oil and grease and other auto fluids.

MulesFan
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby MulesFan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:12 am

texasdiver wrote:
chickadee wrote:Had our garage professionally epoxied two years ago. We've really enjoyed it. It's medium grey, with cream, black and grey chips. Kinda like grey granite. It blows those epoxy and chip kit things from HD out of the water. Our installer didn't use acid to etch, but rather ground the floor mechanically. It looked like brand new concrete when he was done, then he painted it, scattered the chips, sealed it, etc. I think he painted it one day and sealed it the next. I didn't put the non slip grit into the top coat, which was an option, but probably would if I had it to do over. Our driveway is a bit steep, and the garage level. When it rains, we tend to lose traction on the way in. Maybe $1200? $1500? Can't remember exactly, but totally worth it.


How big is your garage? 1, 2, or 3 car?


Basement garage is for shop/lawnmower/etc. probably 18x30. Upstairs garage is a 2 car garage.

texasdiver
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby texasdiver » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 pm

I saw this stuff online and am thinking of giving it a try in my new garage instead of going through all the trouble of prepping the concrete and putting down epoxy.

Anyone used these types of vinyl sheets?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor-10-f ... 450706-_-N

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby dratkinson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 pm

radiowave wrote:I've seen matting for garage floors, can't remember if it was Home Depot or Lowes. It's like a puzzle, you put the pieces together for the floor space you want. I remember it was expensive so I wound up not doing that project. ...

Recall one brand is called Race Deck.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

User avatar
chickadee
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Best surface for garage, epoxy, polished concrete, something else?

Postby chickadee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:22 pm

To answer above question, 2 car garage.

He says it's only going to take one day? Hmmmm. Seems like our guy prepped and did the color coat in one day. Then it had to dry before sealant/top coat went on the next day.


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kramer, red5, Voltron and 32 guests