Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby BashDash » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 am

Hi BH's,

Looking to book a multi-city US trip for 3 seats and one infant ( EWR TO TPA and FLL TO EWR). We only have enough points if we use two different mileage plus account points? What would be the easiest way to do this? Online? Phone call? Not sure how helpful customer service is. Just thought a BH may have tried this before. Thanks!!

Spedward
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby Spedward » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 am

I did this recently and did it via phone. Depending on your status, there is no charge - not sure of the fees otherwise.

The good thing about booking via phone is that the reps can pretty much figure out how to do anything. If I recall, we transferred miles from one account to the other then purchased on the one account.

ResearchMed
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby ResearchMed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

There is often a charge to "transfer points" between accounts, but perhaps UA doesn't have this?

We've needed to use both of our accounts a few times, and by phone, we did 3 legs (2 outbound, one return) on one account, and the other return on the other account.

Both itineraries were linked, as though we had done it all on one (or paid cash).

This won't help if you need some points from A and some from B to get the final ticket, etc., but then you'd only be transferring minimal points, hopefully.
With AA, we'd buy the extra points to top it off, if needed, rather than pay "too much" to transfer some we already have.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 4649
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby midareff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 am

When I do splits like this I do it with a reservation agent of the airline. No issues so far.

BashDash
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby BashDash » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks all! Just doing research I saw each round trip was 25k per person totaling 75k for our family. I'm wondering if I should convert some ultimate rewards to british avios as I think they have cheap domestic award flights. I like saving those ultimate rewards for the flexibility though and had no need for these United Awards right now.

NorCalHiker
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 am

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby NorCalHiker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:12 am

One perhaps easy way to do this is to book all of your tickets as one-ways. IOW, book EWR->TPA for all both of you (infant is free) using one FF account and book FLL->EWR using the other account. This way, you don't have to call it or do anything crazy like different browser windows and you don't run the [however slight] risk of one of you not getting a seat due to someone else sneaking between your two reservation requests. The other nice side benefit is that you only have a single PNR for each direction so you don't have juggle two when get to the airport.

traveltoomuch
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:48 am

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby traveltoomuch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 am

BashDash wrote:I'm wondering if I should convert some ultimate rewards to british avios as I think they have cheap domestic award flights.

Don't convert UR points speculatively. Make sure there are award seats on the days you want them and that the price makes sense before you jump in head-first.

Be aware that BA prices awards segment-by-segment, so if the itinerary involves a connection, the price might not be attractive.

Hopefully you've also considered just buying the tickets? At least on EWR-FLL, UA is competing with Spirit, and they're offering some $50 fares...

To your original question: combining UA points into one account is likely a needless waste of money. Since each one-way ticket is 12,500, ticket as many of those as you can out of each account, and transfer in some UR points to make up gaps as needed. Just be aware that if you have outbound and return on different PNRs, they'll be subject to separate change and redeposit fees, if that should come up. A phone agent might be able to take the miles for different passengers from different accounts while keeping all in the same PNR, as others have suggested above, but I don't have personal recent experience with that - I'd just book the tickets online and save the phone agent surcharge. (While there can be benefits to having everyone in the same PNR, it's not critical.)

IADFlyer
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby IADFlyer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 am

NorCalHiker wrote:One perhaps easy way to do this is to book all of your tickets as one-ways. IOW, book EWR->TPA for all both of you (infant is free) using one FF account and book FLL->EWR using the other account. This way, you don't have to call it or do anything crazy like different browser windows and you don't run the [however slight] risk of one of you not getting a seat due to someone else sneaking between your two reservation requests. The other nice side benefit is that you only have a single PNR for each direction so you don't have juggle two when get to the airport.

+1

IADFlyer
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby IADFlyer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:42 am

traveltoomuch wrote: To your original question: combining UA points into one account is likely a needless waste of money. Since each one-way ticket is 12,500, ticket as many of those as you can out of each account, and transfer in some UR points to make up gaps as needed. Just be aware that if you have outbound and return on different PNRs, they'll be subject to separate change and redeposit fees, if that should come up. A phone agent might be able to take the miles for different passengers from different accounts while keeping all in the same PNR, as others have suggested above, but I don't have personal recent experience with that - I'd just book the tickets online and save the phone agent surcharge. (While there can be benefits to having everyone in the same PNR, it's not critical.)

+1

BashDash
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby BashDash » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks All! I think I will go with the two separate one way bookings. Think I would get better value if there were AVIOS flights possible but I want to use these United points. I have been using the Ultimate Rewards points for a non-chain resort in Maine for our weekly trip. I didn't even know non-chain resorts were possible to use points for. Thanks again!!

sharpjm
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby sharpjm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 am

My SO and I just did this for a big international trip. We just logged into our accounts from different PCs and booked at the exact same time and had no issues.

an_asker
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby an_asker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 am

BashDash wrote:Thanks all! Just doing research I saw each round trip was 25k per person totaling 75k for our family. I'm wondering if I should convert some ultimate rewards to british avios as I think they have cheap domestic award flights. I like saving those ultimate rewards for the flexibility though and had no need for these United Awards right now.

Can you not do one way on one mileage account and the return leg on the other mileage account? I don't think that the mileage required changes if the legs are split up (if you get what I am saying!).

[edited to add]: Looks like you are already doing that!

sco
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby sco » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 pm

You can't Beat United.....

Cruise
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Booking united award tickets with 2 accounts

Postby Cruise » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:32 am

OP: Ever hear of Flyertalk.com? It is the BH of travel, with a very active UA thread.


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barnaclebob, bligh, cherijoh, Jack FFR1846, jebmke, Kenkat, LarryAllen, ncbill, Raybo, texasdiver and 63 guests