Should I purchase Apple Care for my new Apple Watch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cruise

Should I purchase Apple Care for my new Apple Watch?

Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 am

I just purchased a Series 2 watch, and while at the store, I decided against purchasing the Apple Care protection. I am now rethinking this.

Does anyone have real world experience with the Apple Watch, and whether the Apple Care is a good expenditure?

Many thanks!

inbox788

Re: Should I purchase Apple Care for my new Apple Watch?

Post by inbox788 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 am

Use a credit card to double the warranty. The watch will be obsolete soon. Save the extended warranty fee for the next watch.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 am

I have had a Series 0 Sport since October 2015. No Applecare and it is still going strong.

Totrep

Post by Totrep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 am

Using a credit card that offers an extended warranty is a great idea for this type of purchase. Apple Care does offer benefits beyond just extending the warranty; the most important is that it covers accidental damage subject to a $69 deductible. As with all programs of this nature, you can be sure the price was not chosen randomly. So do you feel substantially more likely than the average person who purchases the watch and Apple Care to smash your watch?

Personally, I did. I use the watch while playing ice hockey, and the granite island in my kitchen is at the perfect height for bumping my watch into as I walk past. I have indeed hit this island many times with the watch face, and also played in many hockey games...the watch is still completely intact, and after the first hockey game I really stopped worrying about it at all. I don't regret the purchase, but I also don't think I will purchase Apple Care for my next watch.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am

I think it depends on how rough you will be with the watch. I bought the apple care for my series 2 because I am a young guy that's pretty active. This is also the only watch I have besides a very basic Casio watch for when I am on vacation (which this replaces).

Molly12

Post by Molly12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 am

I purchased AppleCare. One month before my warranty ran out my watch quit working. Sent it in and received a new watch in one day. I am happy I purchased it!

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 am

I purchased the Apple Watch 2 at Christmas and paid for the Apple plan. It's a judgement call but I would do it again. We also bought an iPad Pro and an iPad mini and based on past multi-year experience did not get a SquareTrade warranty as I felt comfortable self-insuring. I'm certain you already know this but Amazon has great prices on watch bands. No need to pay Apple prices.

navyitaly

Post by navyitaly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 am

you drop it on anything other than carpet it shatters, you decide and i have the series one with the real crystal...i had to pay $300 to get it fixed..you decide.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 am

It's an extended warranty, right? Do you typically buy those?

If it's anything like the iPhone, you're buying a product with about a two year life before something inside it breaks or it becomes annoyingly slow.

However, you have to balance this with the fact that Apple makes it very difficult for anyone else to repair its products.

They've kind of got you in a bind. Heads they win, tails you lose.

JT

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 am

Got the series 1 when first introduced 3 years ago, without warranty. Was kind of hankering for series 2 but couldn't justify. Read recently of study that said people more careless with product when new improved product available. Sure enough, carelessly dropped on marble floor while putting on. Gave me excuse for series 2, without warranty. My advice is skip the warranty but be careful of your subconscious impulses when series 3 arrives. Good luck.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 am

bottlecap wrote:If it's anything like the iPhone, you're buying a product with about a two year life before something inside it breaks or it becomes annoyingly slow.JT

My significant experience with Apple products does not line up with this assessment. I have never had a hardware related issue except battery fatigue on a 4 year old device.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 am

My belief is that extended warranties don't usually pay for themselves, but that Apple plays hardball on original warranties, and that Apple plays nice with people with AppleCare, so if you sort of want AppleCare it's not bad; you probably won't use it but it probably will work if you do.

I've only had AppleCare once, on an iPod mini in the days when limited life was more of a problem with rechargeable lithium batteries than it is today. I paid $75 for two years of of coverage. After about 1-3/4 years, the play time after a recharge was down to a couple of hours. Apple replaced the battery promptly, with no hassle, and no demands that I prove anything about charge capacity. The cost of having them replace the battery without AppleCare would have been $100. My experience thus lived up to the impression I'd formed of AppleCare: it might or might not be "worth it," but at least it "works." By all account, Apple treats people with AppleCare nicely and doesn't try to weasel out of repairs that a reasonable person would think should be covered.

About two years later, the play time again was down again, close to zero. I didn't have AppleCare and instead I opted to pay $60 for a company that offered battery replacement kits (complete with tools). It worked, but replacing that battery was one of the scariest little repairs I've ever tried--lots of places where you had to apply lots of force and hope you were forcing the right thing, clearances so tight you could only just barely get something out and then couldn't quite get it back in, fragile hair-thin wires. Success, but it I had it to do again I wouldn't, and I'd have considered renewing AppleCare.

Conversely, Apple does play hardball on warranty service. A Mac Pro we had at work, suddenly one day emitted a report like a small firecracker--with a literal puff of smoke--and died. It was a couple of months out of warranty, but online browsing made it clear that this was happening to too many owners, and that in fact Apple had a secret policy of repairing them. Over the phone they acknowledged this and said they'd fix it for free under some kind of "customer satisfaction program." When I brought it in to an Apple Store, though, they kept it for two weeks and then told me that they would not fix it for free because the board that went off like a firecracker was the logic board, and the program for free replacement of boards that went off like firecrackers only applied to frammis boards. Because this was a machine at work--that I needed--and my employer was going to pick up the repair costs, with my boss's approval I let them fix it for $700. A "They didn't have to, but they could have, they should have, and they didn't" situation.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 am

Silk McCue wrote:
bottlecap wrote:If it's anything like the iPhone, you're buying a product with about a two year life before something inside it breaks or it becomes annoyingly slow.JT

My significant experience with Apple products does not line up with this assessment. I have never had a hardware related issue except battery fatigue on a 4 year old device.

Well, my wife and I have had 4 iPhones between us in the last 4 years. Three of them had significant issues between 20 and 26 months. She blamed me until her last one went out 2 weeks after mine did - same exact issue.

Apple's solution, each time, was that we needed to buy a new phone. Thankfully, I was able to fix the last two for a couple of $20 parts.

I guess between you and I, 2 out of 5 that lasted more than 2 years ain't bad, huh?

JT

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:05 am

Buy with a Citi credit card to get 2 additional years of warranty, 3 years total. If you keep the watch 3 years then I say that was a successful tech purchase.

I'm personally not going to spend $49 + $69 in the off chance I drop and break my watch. Looks like you can buy a refurbished series 2 from Apple for $309 and people are selling broken series 2 watches on ebay for $100 or so. So you're taking a $91 gamble that you're not going to break your watch.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am

jdb wrote:My advice is skip the warranty but be careful of your subconscious impulses when series 3 arrives. Good luck.

LOL!

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks all for your thoughts. I checked with my CSR card plan and found that accidental damage would be covered for 120 days. The regular Apple warranty just covers manufacturer's defects over a one-year period, and the CSR doubles that. So basically, the Apple Care will give me 20 months of added accidental damage coverage for $118 (assuming one accidental damage claim), or about $6/month.

However, even if a claim for accidental damage is made within the first four months, or for manufacturer's defect, the Apple Care claim would be much easier and faster than dealing with the CSR claim process. Something to consider, which I will.

Thanks again...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm

nisiprius wrote:A Mac Pro we had at work, suddenly one day emitted a report like a small firecracker--with a literal puff of smoke--and died.

Indeed common. My son's did this and melted the keyboard and mousepad among other things. The apple store was useless. Calling Apple on the phone yielded results, though. The Apple person asked my son if he was burned at all when the battery exploded. He said yes (smart boy). They rebuilt the machine for the cost of a new battery ($149). The Macbook Pro was maybe 5 years old at that point. Purchased originally as an open box special and we never purchase any extended warranty. Our only other issue was a fan that died (common Apple issue) which can be purchased from Apple for something like $149 or on Amazon from 1000 vendors for $12 shipped. We opted for the $12. It's lasted longer than the original Apple fan. It's now his backup laptop at college.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 am

Several yrs ago my iPhone 4 fell out of my shirt pocket while oiling my deck. It landed squarely in the pan of linseed oil. No Apple Care.... I spent weeks researching and finally took it apart and replaced the various failed parts. I won't do that again because my eyesight and dexterity are no longer capable of dealing with the micro-components.

At 2 yrs of age, my iPhone 6 has been dropped countless times, usually falling out of my shirt pocket when I bend over (I guess I'm never gonna learn!). Even tho it has a screen protector and a hard case, it is showing wear & tear. I have a few tiny chips in the screen around the edges. I don't have the apple care on this but will get it when I upgrade this phone at the end of the year.

My wife's phone fell out of pocket and she accidentally stepped on it. Corner of screen is a big mess but not cracked. No Apple Care and wish I had it.

I recently bought a Series 2 watch. I haven't worn a watch in decades so am not sure how much abuse it may receive. I do take it off if I am going to be doing any kind of repair work around the house, otherwise, I always wear it. I do not have a protective cover on the face. Even tho it is water proof to 50m, I wear it in the shower. I bought Apple Care for it figuring it was more likely than the phone to get abuse .

As a general rule I don't buy extended warranties. I think these devices are too fragile and so probably will buy Apple Care in the future. The above arguments regarding a 2 yr life cycle are worth considering. I had not thought about that angle.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 am

I have found that Apple is far more flexible when it comes to customers with AppleCare. I had a battery issue with my iPhone that didn't technically meet the requirements for replacement (within the original warranty period), but they replaced my phone anyway. I don't believe they would have done that if I didn't have AppleCare.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

SittingOnTheFence wrote:My wife's phone fell out of pocket and she accidentally stepped on it. Corner of screen is a big mess but not cracked. No Apple Care and wish I had it.

Why? It would actually cost MORE. AppleCare+ is $129 up front, plus $29 per repair of screen damage ($99 for all other repairs). So that's $158 total for the plan, plus replacement of the screen.

How much does Apple charge to replace a broken screen on an iPhone NOT covered by AppleCare? $129 for non-plus models, $149 for plus models. This is for all screen repairs, not just cracked glass.

Go get your wife's phone repaired, and be happy you saved yourself $29.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Cruise wrote:Thanks all for your thoughts. I checked with my CSR card plan and found that accidental damage would be covered for 120 days. The regular Apple warranty just covers manufacturer's defects over a one-year period, and the CSR doubles that. So basically, the Apple Care will give me 20 months of added accidental damage coverage for $118 (assuming one accidental damage claim), or about $6/month.

However, even if a claim for accidental damage is made within the first four months, or for manufacturer's defect, the Apple Care claim would be much easier and faster than dealing with the CSR claim process. Something to consider, which I will.

Thanks again...

I ended up with a free Apple Watch Series 1 after a series of shipping delays this Christmas. Target just said "keep it free" once it finally arrived. I was on the fence and planned to try, explore, and maybe return it. Since I paid $0 for the watch, it seemed like a bargain to get AppleCare for $49, so I did.

The watch is more of an annoyance than anything. I found myself constantly turning off sounds, features, vibrations, and alerts that I have no interest in. The controls are tiny. I could not return the Apple Watch, so after about a month I eBayed it. To be fair - I don't normally wear or see a need for a watch anyway, this was just an experiment.

The AppleCare gave it an increased resale value. They are talking about the next version having cell phone capacities. That may be just the ticket to make it worth owning. As it stands, it's not IMO.

My bosses daughter had to have one for Christmas.. his quote "She has no idea what to do with it, but everyone is wearing one so she had to have it."

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:29 pm

kjvmartin wrote:[

I ended up with a free Apple Watch Series 1 after a series of shipping delays this Christmas. Target just said "keep it free" once it finally arrived. I was on the fence and planned to try, explore, and maybe return it. Since I paid $0 for the watch, it seemed like a bargain to get AppleCare for $49, so I did.

The watch is more of an annoyance than anything. I found myself constantly turning off sounds, features, vibrations, and alerts that I have no interest in. The controls are tiny. I could not return the Apple Watch, so after about a month I eBayed it. To be fair - I don't normally wear or see a need for a watch anyway, this was just an experiment.

The AppleCare gave it an increased resale value. They are talking about the next version having cell phone capacities. That may be just the ticket to make it worth owning. As it stands, it's not IMO.

My bosses daughter had to have one for Christmas.. his quote "She has no idea what to do with it, but everyone is wearing one so she had to have it."

One of the members of my staff won one in a company raffle last Christmas and his experience was exactly the same as yours. There has been several threads about the functionality (lack of) regarding smartwatches (particularly the Apple Watch). I have yet to hear or read of someone really describe how its function improves their life. I find that your concluding statement pretty accurately describes most of its users.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

I've had a series 1 watch for about 15 months now and I've had no damage or issues with it. I wear it while chopping firewood, painting, working on cars etc, so it's certainly not babied. I did buy a bumper style case for it that I think really cuts down on how many things I knock it into. If/when it dies, I'll go right out and buy a series 2 or 3 or whatever is available.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm

No. 1 feature of the Apple Watch is the ability to ping your phone. Can't tell you how many times I've put my phone down and been unable to find it. Calling it doesn't help because it's always on vibrate. Cheers!

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

stoptothink wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:[

One of the members of my staff won one in a company raffle last Christmas and his experience was exactly the same as yours. There has been several threads about the functionality (lack of) regarding smartwatches (particularly the Apple Watch). I have yet to hear or read of someone really describe how its function improves their life. I find that your concluding statement pretty accurately describes most of its users.

I was using a Pebble Time until Fitbit bought Pebble and destroyed it's functionalities. I loved being able to see texts and calls coming in on th screen, and choosing whether to ignore or respond without always pulling out my phone. The step tracker really gave insight and awareness of my activity or lack there of. I can select and ignore songs on Pandora. The Apple Watch does all this better, and gives me heart rate data which is really helpful in monitoring a syndrome. Heck, I can answer my phone and have a conversation without my phone being near me, which is great when living in a good-sized house.

Perhaps some can't see a benefit. I see it on an hourly basis.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm

My spouse dropped one on the face on hardwood and it shattered - we had apple care - cost was $69 plus tax to fix. After 3 mos - there is warranty. Credit card doubles the warranty - six months. Again you decide. I have a 2.5 year old original watch - going strong - has not broken - wasted apple care - my spouse got her money back after five months...