Tips on Uber

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
White Coat Investor

Re: Tips on Uber

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm

I just started Ubering this year. Maybe a dozen rides. I didn't realize there were passenger ratings until now. So I looked mine up. 4.58. Haven't tipped yet (I thought you weren't supposed to. Isn't that the point of not getting a taxi?)

What does my rating matter? Do some drivers go "that guy has a 4.5, I'm not picking HIM up"?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 pm

I've only used Lyft and usually to/from airports. I've had several drivers tell me they only drive for Lyft "because the passengers are nicer." Yeah that probably means tips, but maybe people who tip are good customers in other ways.

I still use a sedan service for my 0530 boarding flights (at about 3X the cost of a Lyft). I've checked and there aren't enough Uber or Lyft drivers working in my dense urban area at 0400-0430 to ensure I get to the airport on time.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 am

White Coat Investor wrote:What does my rating matter? Do some drivers go "that guy has a 4.5, I'm not picking HIM up"?

Yes. It happened to someone I know (deservedly, I should add, she's the kind of person who complains about everything in life).

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 am

When the Uber service was only black cars, the tip was "included" and Uber promoted their service as no tipping required.
When UberX and additional Uber services came out, tipping was allowed, but drivers were instructed to nicely refuse when it was initially offered.

Tipping is absolutely allowed though Uber intentionally clouds the issue.

I find there's a sharp divide between those who work/worked in a service industry that is dependent on tips and those who have not. Regardless of current wealth, those in the former category are far more likely to tip than those in the latter.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

White Coat Investor wrote:I just started Ubering this year. Maybe a dozen rides. I didn't realize there were passenger ratings until now. So I looked mine up. 4.58. Haven't tipped yet (I thought you weren't supposed to. Isn't that the point of not getting a taxi?)

What does my rating matter? Do some drivers go "that guy has a 4.5, I'm not picking HIM up"?

Former/on hiatus Lyft driver here:

There are a lot of variables. Sometimes the passenger for pickup is 10-20 minutes away. If that passenger has a rather low rating, it's much easier to decline that request and wait for something better. I started getting more selective over time. It's truly awful to get stuck with a bad passenger in the car. I had a group of 4 men bring what I suspect were open intoxicants into my vehicle and discuss in graphic detail their sexual conquests on the way to their location. I had another passenger bring a full size mountain bike (with dirt on the tires) and ask me to find a way to fit it + her into my 4 door sedan.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am

California Assembly Bill 1099, assuming it passes, will make tipping easy with Uber (just like Lyft) and I expect it will become the norm to tip on Uber.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 am

kjvmartin wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:I just started Ubering this year. Maybe a dozen rides. I didn't realize there were passenger ratings until now. So I looked mine up. 4.58. Haven't tipped yet (I thought you weren't supposed to. Isn't that the point of not getting a taxi?)

There are a lot of variables. Sometimes the passenger for pickup is 10-20 minutes away. If that passenger has a rather low rating, it's much easier to decline that request and wait for something better. I started getting more selective over time. It's truly awful to get stuck with a bad passenger in the car. I had a group of 4 men bring what I suspect were open intoxicants into my vehicle and discuss in graphic detail their sexual conquests on the way to their location. I had another passenger bring a full size mountain bike (with dirt on the tires) and ask me to find a way to fit it + her into my 4 door sedan.

Should have cancelled the ride.
Personally I couldn't be an uber driver. Dealing with people at work is bad enough, having to deal with complete aholes in your own car is worse.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 am

stan1 wrote:I've only used Lyft and usually to/from airports. I've had several drivers tell me they only drive for Lyft "because the passengers are nicer." Yeah that probably means tips, but maybe people who tip are good customers in other ways.

I still use a sedan service for my 0530 boarding flights (at about 3X the cost of a Lyft). I've checked and there aren't enough Uber or Lyft drivers working in my dense urban area at 0400-0430 to ensure I get to the airport on time.

FYI, I'm in the same situation with some early morning flights -- I've used both the Lyft and Uber "schedule ride in advance" option everywhere from NYC and LA to south Florida, where the cars were much sparser, and it works like a charm. Basically, you set the time and place, and about 20-30 minutes before you need the car, the app starts pinging the drivers in the area and matching their distance/availability, and then auto-requests for you at the optimal time. I haven't used a black car service in a while now.

westie

Post by westie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 am

if the Uber driver is friendly and or helpful, I'll throw a couple bucks their way if I got it ... the ones on their cell phones the whole trip ....no.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 am

kjvmartin wrote:

I do wish Uber would make it an option to select a driver who would let you carry beverages (non-alcoholic). I had one that let me know rather abruptly that my drink wasn't allowed in her car. She of course had a giant Yetti cup in the front seat with her. I would have cancelled the ride but I wasn't sure if it would give her the opportunity to rate me poorly. The funny part is that later that evening a nicer driver picked me up and had water bottles in the back seat for his passengers. Quite amusing.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am

LarryAllen wrote:They say 5 for 5... meaning $5 for a 5 star review. Not sure that's true but I have heard that said.

As someone else already mentioned, that means you'll both rate each other 5 stars. It's not exactly in the spirit of the star system, but if service was fine, I always do 5 stars anyway. If an Uber driver explicitly asked for $5 to give me a 5-star rating I'd be pissed and would consider reporting them.

The whole point of Uber is to be fast, easy to use, and pleasant compared to taxis. I'd consider tipping in the app, but I have never given cash or had a driver even act like he was expecting one.

gouverneur

Post by gouverneur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

Uber has been very unclear on this in the past, and I confess I thought we still were not supposed to tip. That being said, I understand that fares have dropped precipitously since I started using the app in 2013 (never had a car in those years because it was cheaper to just use public transportation/Uber).

I hope they include tipping as part of the app, the convenience is not necessarily not tipping but in being able to do it through your phone without reaching for a card or cash (which I typically don't carry).

Lyft is definitely the better platform for drivers right now, and fairer, so perhaps I will start defaulting to that from now on.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:

I do wish Uber would make it an option to select a driver who would let you carry beverages (non-alcoholic). I had one that let me know rather abruptly that my drink wasn't allowed in her car. She of course had a giant Yetti cup in the front seat with her. I would have cancelled the ride but I wasn't sure if it would give her the opportunity to rate me poorly. The funny part is that later that evening a nicer driver picked me up and had water bottles in the
back seat for his passengers. Quite amusing.

From a liability standpoint, police in my state have zero tolerance for any open intoxicants for the driver. It's a fat citation at minimum and could restrict my license. It's not as bad as a DUI but it would end my career in law enforcement. Murphy's law being what it is, it was too great a risk for me. As I started getting more restrictive to protect myself and standing up to issues, my rating dropped dramatically. I provided water too, but would not allow others to bring. Also, my latest personal auto no fault policy said they wouldn't cover ride sharing. Lyft requires drivers to obtain their own insurance, and file a claim in the event of an incident, before they will use their own insurance to cover.

I priced a commercial no fault policy. "LOL" no one could afford to legally do Lyft in my state. It's a broken system. Most people are still using their personal policies, and if something went wrong.... what a risk for essentially minimum wage.

brainstem

Post by brainstem » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm

on short trips, I do not tip
on long trips, I do --- when Uber saves me 50%+ over a taxi ($20 vs $45+), I give the driver a $5 tip if the service is good - and it usually is

examples -- hotel to the airport in Orlando, DC to BWI etc

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

I don't usually tip with Uber, I use it a fair amount, and my passenger rating is 4.8, so I don't think it is a problem. I tip if the driver goes out of their way in some manner or in the rare times there's a miscommunication and the driver stops the trip a block early.

I'll also step back and put a marker out there for how much I hate the concept of tipping, especially as an expected part of a person's wages. It's cowardly by the business owner, it puts workers' compensation at the whims of customers, it takes compensation out of the bargained-for-exchange, and it plays on "good" customers' guilt and desire to not inadvertently hurt an employee while allowing "bad" customers to free load. You don't sell a car to someone and then suggest that they can give the salesman extra if they thought he did a good job, and I don't expect my clients to throw me an extra 10% if they liked my service. Why should it be any different for a waiter or driver? We should all be able to agree upfront on the fee for the service. Okay, I feel better with that rant off my chest.

(And, before people complain, I automatically tip 20% at restaurants, more if there was outstanding service. I've probably tipped materially less than that once in the past year, and it was probably 15%. I don't want to ruin some poor waiter's day just because the kitchen overcooked my fish.)
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

woldemariam

Post by woldemariam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:53 am

I driver with Uber part time. I pick up around 30 fares per week and on a typical week, only one person tips. However, Uber only started allowing tipping within the app this summer.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:56 am

squirm wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am
Just tip, don't be a tightwad, these people barely make enough to justify what their doing. Saying the app doesn't allow it, is just a copout, just hand them a five, at least their trying to make ends meet by working.
People remind me of some relatives, they have boat loads of money but like to pretend they can barely stay afloat, so they cheat the little guy like waiters and uber drivers who really can't stay afloat.
Agreed.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 pm

The first time I used Uber I did tip $5, but my daughter hailed the ride, I gave the cash for tip. The second time, I actually used my own account, I didn’t tip. The guy is a retiree and I’m a retiree, so why should I tip him. He drives a better car than mine. I have no idea what my rating is either and I don’t care.

irishnick23

Post by irishnick23 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 pm
ralph124cf wrote:Do people usually tip on Uber? How much? How, cash or on the app?
No, I never tip.

The cost of running a business should be built into the sticker price.
So do you not tip at restaurants?

Not tipping isn't the answer to this. The drivers don't get to choose whether or not to build in a tip. If you want to make a point about the pricing structure then don't use the product. Using Uber, paying the regular fee (which still goes to the people who set pricing) and then not tipping the driver only punishes said driver and does nothing to fix what you see as the problem.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:19 pm

irishnick23 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm
AlohaJoe wrote:
ralph124cf wrote:Do people usually tip on Uber? How much? How, cash or on the app?
No, I never tip.

Not tipping isn't the answer to this. The drivers don't get to choose whether or not to build in a tip. If you want to make a point about the pricing structure then don't use the product. Using Uber, paying the regular fee (which still goes to the people who set pricing) and then not tipping the driver only punishes said driver and does nothing to fix what you see as the problem.
The Uber business model was built as a cashless & tipless experience. The entire point was to know the price to get from point A to point B before you got into the vehicle.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:50 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:19 pm

The Uber business model was built as a cashless & tipless experience. The entire point was to know the price to get from point A to point B before you got into the vehicle.
this.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:01 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:19 pm
irishnick23 wrote:
AlohaJoe wrote:
No, I never tip.

You can now tip directly from the app I understand.
It seems like the right thing to do for a service industry type job, but I'll defer to the experts- can you make a living wage working for uber in addition to covering wear and tear and mileage on a vehicle you already own?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 pm

It’s a second job for some people. One woman in my class drives for Uber but she is a state employee with lots of benefits already. The other is a retiree with full pension from an airline company.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am
I have taken 155 rides and have a passenger rating of 4.76. My average trip costs around $10-11.

What would my rating be over the next 150 rides if I tipped $2-$3, 4.95 or so? I would boost my rating to around 4.85 and spend $300-$450. I'll keep the money.
At least on Lyft, when I was driving, the tip is not revealed till the end of shift report and long after I left my rating for the passenger

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:22 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm
I just started Ubering this year. Maybe a dozen rides. I didn't realize there were passenger ratings until now. So I looked mine up. 4.58. Haven't tipped yet (I thought you weren't supposed to. Isn't that the point of not getting a taxi?)

I’ve had some rather unpleasant riders, folks who seemed snobby, some with unrealistic requests, people who want to eat messy food with crumbs all over. If I were seeing a very low rating like that, on a busy night, i would pass till the next passenger.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:36 pm

irishnick23 wrote:
AlohaJoe wrote:
No, I never tip.

No, I don't.

I also don't live in the US. Somehow our restaurant industry has survived.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:59 pm

I tip Uber drivers because I have extra money and I want to be generous with the people I come in contact with. I don't feel that I need to tip, but I have been fortunate in the extreme in this life and I work towards sharing random acts of kindness.

gloss151

Post by gloss151 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

A low rating on Uber is probably from soiling their car or being rude. Tips should be reserved for extraordinary service. If everyone tipped every ride, Uber would lower their fares (and drivers cut).
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. -Thoreau