Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kjvmartin
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby kjvmartin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm probably like most guys who don't care for shopping. I still wear the blue jeans I wore in college, which for me ended over 10 years ago. They're 5 pair of low end Lucky Brand Jeans that I paid ~$40/each for at Costco and outlet stores. I was a fan of the style and feel of those jeans.

I'm trying to find some (really any) reasonable, comfortable, presentable, replacement blue jeans and everything seems so skinny these days. At 6'4 and lanky my size options are limited, and Lucky sells "extra long" but I just can't find a pair that agree with me anymore. Also, they have gotten expensive to the point of silliness.

Anyone had any shopping success lately?

User avatar
rob
Posts: 2738
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby rob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:40 pm

I used to be 501's only (34" length) but they er... don't flatter my recent figure (other way around) :? I've found the Lee Premium work a lot better now days. I sure miss the button fly :(
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

arf30
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby arf30 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Levis 559/569

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 4687
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 pm

K-Mart: Wrangler relaxed fit jeans. Often $12 a pair. Or you can go to a fancy store and they'll be "on sale" for $42.

I'm not one to discard stuff just because it's old. I still have a western looking kind of dress shirt that I bought when I was 20. I'm 60 now. It still fits and is in nice shape. Jeans don't last with me......something about cutting firewood and working on cars and such tends to destroy them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lazydavid
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby lazydavid » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Levis 560 Comfort Fit or 569 Loose/Straight. Also had good luck with the Kirkland brand jeans, and you can't beat the price at $13 :shock:

123
Posts: 1937
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby 123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm one of those guys that grew up in Levi's 501's. Eventually I got tired of the button-fly and switched to Levi's 505s years ago. When I bought a new pair last year I found the fabric on the ones I got from Costco was much thinner. I then got a pair from Amazon and they had sturdy fabric like the old days.

I have a problem with buying jeans because my legs are short (though luckily they still reach the ground) so standard lengths are usually too long. In my HCOL area it costs $10 - $20 a pair to get the length of a pair of pants shortened at a local cleaners.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

jadedfalcons
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby jadedfalcons » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 pm

I wear a no name brand because I bought a few hundred pair on closeout for $1.05 a pair. Triple stitched heavy duty denim from when a hardware supplier stupidly thought they'd make a splash into clothing, and they got burned badly. At least I came out smelling like a rose :D

Other than that, Carhartt makes excellent jeans, as does Lee. Levi's are overpriced garbage compared to what they used to be. Higher end Wranglers are pretty good as well, but the cheap ones tend to look like a gunnysack on people.

RoadHouseFan
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby RoadHouseFan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Jorts are always in style.

Twood
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Twood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:K-Mart: Wrangler relaxed fit jeans.


You can also get these reasonably priced at Fleet Farm.

btenny
Posts: 3754
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby btenny » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 pm

I buy Wranglers from Walmart or Target or via the internet. They make dozens of types of Jeans from skinny cowboy fit to relaxed fit to my favorites that stretch. They are made with a blended stretchable fabric versus old style denim. I pay about $25 per pair. See below for my choice. Go to Walmart or Target and try some. I used to wear old style Levis brand 501s. Those are rugged jeans that last for decades. But the Wranglers fit better and look better but they do not last as long.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/men-jeans ... Id=85900DW

Good Luck.

renue74
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby renue74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Denizen jeans found at Target. I think they are a private label version of Levi's.

Usually around the holidays they can be purchased for $10...but normally about $25.

Doom&Gloom
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Doom&Gloom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Levi's wearer for 50 years--501's for nearly 40 years IIRC.

Not terribly fashion-conscious or worried about how they look. I do have a variety of colors (and waist sizes :( ), and jeans are about all I wear these days when it is too cold for shorts.

clutchied
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby clutchied » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 pm

kjvmartin wrote:I'm probably like most guys who don't care for shopping. I still wear the blue jeans I wore in college, which for me ended over 10 years ago. They're 5 pair of low end Lucky Brand Jeans that I paid ~$40/each for at Costco and outlet stores. I was a fan of the style and feel of those jeans.

I'm trying to find some (really any) reasonable, comfortable, presentable, replacement blue jeans and everything seems so skinny these days. At 6'4 and lanky my size options are limited, and Lucky sells "extra long" but I just can't find a pair that agree with me anymore. Also, they have gotten expensive to the point of silliness.

Anyone had any shopping success lately?


514's

User avatar
victorb
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby victorb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Wrangler has many styles that fit snug, regular, relaxed, etc. etc. ......
Walmart & Mills Fleet Farm have a large selection. You can also buy direct from
http://www.wrangler.com

Flux
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Flux » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

I fell in love with Express jeans. I think they were $50 or so a pair, but well worth it. One pair looks like a normal pair of jeans but is actually stretch fabric. They're glorious.

bluebolt
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby bluebolt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm

I had the same pair of 501s for almost 20 years, but when I replaced them I found that there were jeans with much more comfortable/stretchy denim out there.

I have a pair of these and really like them. List price shows $118, but I paid around $40 for them on sale.
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =488419002

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Go Blue 99 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

I don’t like rough jeans, so I tend to buy jeans from premium denim makers that have cotton/lycra blends. These blends make the jeans feel really soft- it’s like you are wearing comfortable pajamas. Contrary to popular belief, premium denim isn’t all just skinny fits. You just need to look for each brand’s “relaxed” fit.

If you want a budget option, I’ve had good experiences with Lee Premium. They are still pretty soft.

User avatar
IFRider
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby IFRider » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Levi's 550. Relaxed fit. I've been wearing these for years. I think they call them dad jeans now.

Thankfully they still print the waist size clearly on the label as a daily reminder.

User avatar
buccimane
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby buccimane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm

I know many here won't have experience, and may look down upon it, but I only get American Eagle jeans now. It is called "Flex" jeans. They are made to stretch, almost like elastic. Most comfortable, best looking, and affordable jeans I've ever owned. While they aren't loose fitting 'dad' jeans, they are also not skinny jeans. I believe mine are called flex straight, which offer a straight fit with comfort around the shoe. I deal with the fact that the store is marketed for teens, because the product is so outstanding.
Last edited by buccimane on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

badger42
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby badger42 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

As a fellow "solidly over 6 feet" guy who doesn't fit into "skinny" jeans - I've been really happy ordering jeans from Texas Jeans (http://www.texasjeans.com/). Be aware that they are cut smaller than most "fashion" jeans, so you are likely to need to order a size up.

Made in the USA, 30 bucks a pair, available in a variety of fits, and the huge pockets are hard to beat.

ddurrett896
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby ddurrett896 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:38 pm

These LL Bean jeans are my go to. They guarantee their cloths forever and will take them back if you have an issue with quality at any time.
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/113556? ... etch-jeans

Love the stretch especially if you CCW. The only con is they come in 1 color - dark blue, so your stuck wearing the same jeans everyday!

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby DaftInvestor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

IFRider wrote:Levi's 550. Relaxed fit. I've been wearing these for years. I think they call them dad jeans now.

Thankfully they still print the waist size clearly on the label as a daily reminder.


Same here - still wearing 550's - been doing so for 20 years. I find they fit me best - I subscribe to Levis.com and buy when there is a sale (or if I happen to run into a sale when out and about).
Story on the 550's - I recently was at a Levi's outlet with my daughter - I saw the "Skinny", "Extreme Skinny", "Slim", etc. styles but couldn't find the 550's. I asked a cashier and she smiled and said "you can still buy those online - closest we have are the 505 regulars".

The price hasn't changed that much in many years - if you get them on sale they are generally 30% to 40% off - (regularly $59.90 becomes $39.99). And Levi's hold up much better than "Lee" or some of the other brands that are cheaper priced so they are a very good value. Why buy "Lucky Brand" when Levi's routinely go on sale for $40.

SleepKing
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby SleepKing » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:46 pm

KJV,

I have problems with longer inseams and fit too. This skinny jean stuff is non-sense. I'm athletic, by no means big, and EVERY 'standard' or 'slim' fit looks like i'm wearing wrapping paper...and it's uncomfortable.

I've found the following come in a range of styles and prices for tall size (ie 36L):
-Eddie Bauer (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Banana republic (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Old Navy (cheaper prices and material than BR)
-Alberto jeans (expensive, but fit well on tall people and a more style conscious option)

best,
Sleepy

guitarguy
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby guitarguy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm

clutchied wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:I'm probably like most guys who don't care for shopping. I still wear the blue jeans I wore in college, which for me ended over 10 years ago. They're 5 pair of low end Lucky Brand Jeans that I paid ~$40/each for at Costco and outlet stores. I was a fan of the style and feel of those jeans.

I'm trying to find some (really any) reasonable, comfortable, presentable, replacement blue jeans and everything seems so skinny these days. At 6'4 and lanky my size options are limited, and Lucky sells "extra long" but I just can't find a pair that agree with me anymore. Also, they have gotten expensive to the point of silliness.

Anyone had any shopping success lately?


514's


And 513s.

I don't mind paying $40-50 for jeans if I wear them for years, they fit well, look good, and are comfortable.

mancich
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby mancich » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Lee Premium Select straight leg. Kohls usually has them for $30 - $35 on sale. I'm hard to fit when it comes to jeans, and these are hands-down the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn. They have a little bit of stretch in them and fit perfectly. YMMV :beer

bloom2708
Posts: 1756
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby bloom2708 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

My "go to" jeans are Lee Carpenter. I tend to like the lighter colors (everyday wear) but do have darker blue (seems dressier) and black (hit the town :oops: ).

I do have one pair of Lee Premium non-carpenter. Finding the style that actually fits and is consistently the same size can be difficult.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

User avatar
corwin
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby corwin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Just bought 2 pair of Levi 541's at Kohl's on sale plus 30% off. First time I have seen the 541's, athletic fit. More room in the seat but not baggy elsewhere.

FloRidaRocky
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby FloRidaRocky » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Anyone else notice pants are bigger in the waist than the listed size on the pants. For example, I measure my waist at 35", I try on 34" pants and they fit loose with at least 1 extra inch in the waist. Anyone else have the same experience?

mindboggling
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby mindboggling » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm

At the age of 63 I no longer like the way I look in jeans, so I've mostly switched to Dickie's work pants, usually in kahki. 20 dollars or less.
In broken mathematics We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

kjvmartin
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby kjvmartin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
IFRider wrote:Levi's 550. Relaxed fit. I've been wearing these for years. I think they call them dad jeans now.

Thankfully they still print the waist size clearly on the label as a daily reminder.


Same here - still wearing 550's - been doing so for 20 years. I find they fit me best - I subscribe to Levis.com and buy when there is a sale (or if I happen to run into a sale when out and about).
Story on the 550's - I recently was at a Levi's outlet with my daughter - I saw the "Skinny", "Extreme Skinny", "Slim", etc. styles but couldn't find the 550's. I asked a cashier and she smiled and said "you can still buy those online - closest we have are the 505 regulars".

The price hasn't changed that much in many years - if you get them on sale they are generally 30% to 40% off - (regularly $59.90 becomes $39.99). And Levi's hold up much better than "Lee" or some of the other brands that are cheaper priced so they are a very good value. Why buy "Lucky Brand" when Levi's routinely go on sale for $40.


See, I stopped by the Lucky store and ran out of there after looking at current prices. The Levi store was across the way and everything was slim. No one mentioned the more loose styles available online.

bloom2708
Posts: 1756
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby bloom2708 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:33 pm

FloRidaRocky wrote:Anyone else notice pants are bigger in the waist than the listed size on the pants. For example, I measure my waist at 35", I try on 34" pants and they fit loose with at least 1 extra inch in the waist. Anyone else have the same experience?


I used to be 34 waist, now 33 and 32 seem to cover the old 34 size. It does depend on the brand/style.

I must be shrinking. I used to wear XL or Large t-shirts. Now Medium seem to be the same size as the old Large. If I try on an XL t-shirt I just start laughing. I weigh more than when I wore XL or Large shirts. :confused
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

kjvmartin
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby kjvmartin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:34 pm

SleepKing wrote:KJV,

I have problems with longer inseams and fit too. This skinny jean stuff is non-sense. I'm athletic, by no means big, and EVERY 'standard' or 'slim' fit looks like i'm wearing wrapping paper...and it's uncomfortable.

I've found the following come in a range of styles and prices for tall size (ie 36L):
-Eddie Bauer (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Banana republic (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Old Navy (cheaper prices and material than BR)
-Alberto jeans (expensive, but fit well on tall people and a more style conscious option)

best,
Sleepy


I will stop by Eddie Bauer next time I'm at the mall. I wonder if they carry any of the taller sizes in store?

Random Poster
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Random Poster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Whatever fits at Goodwill.

itstoomuch
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby itstoomuch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Wrangler, regular fit. At Fred Meyer around Thanksgiving to Christmas when on sale.
The heavy duty deniem was saved by legs from the chain saw more than once :oops: . I need to order some chaps :idea: :annoyed
YMMV
4 buckets: SS+pension;defer'd GLWB VA & FI annty, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK on 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby DaftInvestor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:55 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
IFRider wrote:Levi's 550. Relaxed fit. I've been wearing these for years. I think they call them dad jeans now.

Thankfully they still print the waist size clearly on the label as a daily reminder.


Same here - still wearing 550's - been doing so for 20 years. I find they fit me best - I subscribe to Levis.com and buy when there is a sale (or if I happen to run into a sale when out and about).
Story on the 550's - I recently was at a Levi's outlet with my daughter - I saw the "Skinny", "Extreme Skinny", "Slim", etc. styles but couldn't find the 550's. I asked a cashier and she smiled and said "you can still buy those online - closest we have are the 505 regulars".

The price hasn't changed that much in many years - if you get them on sale they are generally 30% to 40% off - (regularly $59.90 becomes $39.99). And Levi's hold up much better than "Lee" or some of the other brands that are cheaper priced so they are a very good value. Why buy "Lucky Brand" when Levi's routinely go on sale for $40.


See, I stopped by the Lucky store and ran out of there after looking at current prices. The Levi store was across the way and everything was slim. No one mentioned the more loose styles available online.


Some department stores like Macy's still carry Levis 550 as well - although 505's may fit you better - you won't know until you try. And Macy's does routinely discount them well also.
Best to try them on somewhere then you can watch for sales online. (although I'm guessing returns are free as they are with most retailers these days).

hicabob
Posts: 2429
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby hicabob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:56 pm

itstoomuch wrote:Wrangler, regular fit. At Fred Meyer around Thanksgiving to Christmas when on sale.
The heavy duty deniem was saved by legs from the chain saw more than once :oops: . I need to order some chaps :idea: :annoyed
YMMV



Yup - I bought a pair of Husqvarna chaps after chain sawing a hole in my jeans.

highly recomended for those of us who chainsaw. very stylish too! https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-531309 ... B000X24TIO

stoptothink
Posts: 3371
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby stoptothink » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 pm

SleepKing wrote:KJV,

I have problems with longer inseams and fit too. This skinny jean stuff is non-sense. I'm athletic, by no means big, and EVERY 'standard' or 'slim' fit looks like i'm wearing wrapping paper...and it's uncomfortable.

I've found the following come in a range of styles and prices for tall size (ie 36L):
-Eddie Bauer (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Banana republic (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Old Navy (cheaper prices and material than BR)
-Alberto jeans (expensive, but fit well on tall people and a more style conscious option)

best,
Sleepy


I don't own a pair of jeans less than a decade old, but I do have a few newer pairs of khakis. I am also an "athletic" build, meaning I am 6'1" ~210 with well under 10%bf. There aren't pants made, that I have found, that will simultaneously fit my 32" waist and my powerlifting backside. So, I've made compromises. My go-to right now is Old Navy ultra-slim stretch fit khakis...36/34. By getting the waist 2 sizes bigger, there is enough room in the caboose without looking ridiculous as they taper down. I just have to deal with the bunched waist. And, if you wait a week, everything at Old Navy will eventually go on sale. I've gotten these khakis for $6-$12 at their outlet.

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby TxAg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm

In the last 2 years I switched to Wrangler from Levi. I also wore Lucky in college. It's nice only paying ~$20 for jeans

itstoomuch
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby itstoomuch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Or LEE Brand. Heavy deniem.
4 buckets: SS+pension;defer'd GLWB VA & FI annty, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK on 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

mindboggling
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby mindboggling » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm

FloRidaRocky wrote:Anyone else notice pants are bigger in the waist than the listed size on the pants. For example, I measure my waist at 35", I try on 34" pants and they fit loose with at least 1 extra inch in the waist. Anyone else have the same experience?


It's called "vanity sizing". I've found the waist measurement of men's casual pants to be about 2 to 3 inches larger than the stated waist size. It varies by manufacturer. Psychologically, people like to feel they are thin, especially in a generally overweight society.
In broken mathematics We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

SleepKing
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby SleepKing » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
SleepKing wrote:KJV,

I have problems with longer inseams and fit too. This skinny jean stuff is non-sense. I'm athletic, by no means big, and EVERY 'standard' or 'slim' fit looks like i'm wearing wrapping paper...and it's uncomfortable.

I've found the following come in a range of styles and prices for tall size (ie 36L):
-Eddie Bauer (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Banana republic (wait for 30-40% off sale)
-Old Navy (cheaper prices and material than BR)
-Alberto jeans (expensive, but fit well on tall people and a more style conscious option)

best,
Sleepy


I will stop by Eddie Bauer next time I'm at the mall. I wonder if they carry any of the taller sizes in store?


I almost always have to order the tall sizes online; rarely find the 36" pants in store. Good to visit to check out fabrics and general style. I have found the store usually has plenty of L and XL tall shirts, jackets, etc... in shop though.

Good luck!

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 3431
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Kenkat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 pm

arf30 wrote:Levis 559/569


These are my go to style as well - relaxed style fit. I am 6'5" and can get a 36" inseam online at Kohl's and some colors are even available in 38" inseam if your are really long-legged.

User avatar
Nearing_Destination
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Nearing_Destination » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
IFRider wrote:Levi's 550. Relaxed fit. I've been wearing these for years. I think they call them dad jeans now.

Thankfully they still print the waist size clearly on the label as a daily reminder.


Same here - still wearing 550's - been doing so for 20 years. I find they fit me best - I subscribe to Levis.com and buy when there is a sale (or if I happen to run into a sale when out and about).
Story on the 550's - I recently was at a Levi's outlet with my daughter - I saw the "Skinny", "Extreme Skinny", "Slim", etc. styles but couldn't find the 550's. I asked a cashier and she smiled and said "you can still buy those online - closest we have are the 505 regulars".

The price hasn't changed that much in many years - if you get them on sale they are generally 30% to 40% off - (regularly $59.90 becomes $39.99). And Levi's hold up much better than "Lee" or some of the other brands that are cheaper priced so they are a very good value. Why buy "Lucky Brand" when Levi's routinely go on sale for $40.


and I lucked out and got pairs of 550's in my size-- on sale already at Kohls-- for $6.25 with the right coupons : I went back and got the other two pairs in stock at that price :beer

Some of the Wrangler jeans are good, some not so much, but they can be found on rare occasion at below $15, when I stock up.

Dek17
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Dek17 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Lee Premium Select straight leg are the preferred choice for DH. He won't shop so I do - at Kohls for the best price. When on sale and with a coupon, I can get them for $30ish. They are comfy, not heavy weight, and have a little stretch. Kohls sells them in many colors if you buy online. In store, just a few colors. Here's a link: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-59041 ... ns-men.jsp

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby F150HD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

kjvmartin wrote:I'm probably like most guys who don't care for shopping. I still wear the blue jeans I wore in college, which for me ended over 10 years ago....

Anyone had any shopping success lately?



I'm 4'9" about 530lb. I gave up on jeans and just started wearing yoga pants.

;-)

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby F150HD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm

seriously....bought some Levi's from 3 different stores (same size) and they all fit different. How disappointing. Looking at going to some kind of cargo pant to carry things easier too.

Levis' no longer makes that classic Jean Jacket you may have worn as a kid. They now make a 'skinny' one that might fit a 14 year old girl, but its for men go figure.

Doom&Gloom
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Doom&Gloom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:19 pm

F150HD wrote:seriously....bought some Levi's from 3 different stores (same size) and they all fit different. How disappointing. Looking at going to some kind of cargo pant to carry things easier too.

Levis' no longer makes that classic Jean Jacket you may have worn as a kid. They now make a 'skinny' one that might fit a 14 year old girl, but its for men go figure.


Dang! I had forgotten about those jackets. When I was a teenager, Levi's white denim jackets were the ultimate sign of casual cool. Never cared much for the blue ones--except on Billy Joe Shaver and Guy Clark 8-)

BogleMelon
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby BogleMelon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Wrangler from Walmart
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby F150HD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Dang! I had forgotten about those jackets. When I was a teenager, Levi's white denim jackets were the ultimate sign of casual cool. Never cared much for the blue ones--except on Billy Joe Shaver and Guy Clark 8-)


yea they are still fashionable and cool and the two huge inner pockets to hold things, but the new trend, everything is skinny (wth?) Found a used one online I bought.

Big Dog
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Mens Blue Jeans - What are we buying now?!

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 pm

the only denim on this rump has been 501 original shrink-to-fit since the dark ages.


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kramer, red5 and 32 guests