Considering buying a new cell phone- ideas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Considering buying a new cell phone- ideas?

Post by protagonist » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:24 am

My Oneplus One has served me well , but it is now over 2 years old and I am constantly having to delete stuff to conform to the 64 Gb maximum. The battery is also getting weaker, as my charge is not lasting as long as it used to.

I am considering getting a new phone sometime in the near to intermediate future before my current one dies. One with expandable memory.

I am looking at unlocked phones roughly in the $200-400 price range that are expandable to at least 128 Gb.
A few options that look good:

Moto G5 Plus ($229)
Lenovo P2 (around $300 if available in USA)
ZTE Axon 7 (definitely seems the best, but about $400 and ??? worth the extra money over the Moto)

Ideas??? Experiences????

pochax

Re: Considering buying a new cell phone- ideas?

Post by pochax » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Honor 8 (retail $399 but you can easily find on sale down to $299 or less) is expandable by SD card but also has 64GB versions available.
my wife has the 32GB version and it recently got a Android 7.0 update (EMUI 5.0) but the OS may not be to your liking. camera is better than expected (shares same hardware as Leica-branded Huawei P9 but without actually calling it "Leica-branded").

oneplus 3T (and likely a oneplus 4 coming soon) - i'm pretty sure has 128GB versions also can be had ~$400-$430, but i would wait for the oneplus 4 for the spec boost.

if you are in the EU, there is an Honor 8 Pro with better specs but this will not likely come to the US.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:29 pm

My smartphone needs are light, but I like my newish Moto G4 Play for $100 from Consumer Cellular. Somebody with different needs and resources might choose differently. I wouldn't like to carry anything larger in my pocket, no matter how well it might perform.

My prior handset, a Samsung Rugby Smart, for $150 met my needs for three years before it physically deteriorated enough to make me consider a replacement. I still keep it charged, but without its SIM card, as an emergency backup.

PJW

rick0

Post by rick0 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:26 pm

I've had a Moto G4 for just over a year now and am very happy with it. It doesn't have all the latest high end features, but has good battery life, seems reasonably rugged, and runs any Android app I've tried OK. Very cost effective phone!
I assume the G5 is an incremental improvement.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:00 pm

protagonist wrote:My Oneplus One has served me well , but it is now over 2 years old and I am constantly having to delete stuff to conform to the 64 Gb maximum. The battery is also getting weaker, as my charge is not lasting as long as it used to.

I am considering getting a new phone sometime in the near to intermediate future before my current one dies. One with expandable memory.

I am looking at unlocked phones roughly in the $200-400 price range that are expandable to at least 128 Gb.
A few options that look good:

Moto G5 Plus ($229)
Lenovo P2 (around $300 if available in USA)
ZTE Axon 7 (definitely seems the best, but about $400 and ??? worth the extra money over the Moto)

Ideas??? Experiences????

Thev one plus one is an Android phone right?

So your pictures should sink with Google photos, and you should be able to automatically create space on your phone.

Is there any other issue with it?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 am

Not in the price range you wish, but the iPhone 7 Plus, 256 GB is by far the best phone I've ever had (out of about 7 or 8 cell phones) and also the most expensive. The 7 Plus has an outstanding camera and tons of useful apps are available to fit almost anyone's needs. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 am

Moto G4 with a SD card.
www.consumercellular.com
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am

I usually get the best fancy-brand phone that is less than $99 "refurbished" on eBay. ("Refurbished" usually means used, but cleaned with really nice cleaning wipe.) At the moment, that price range seems to be iPhone 5 or Galaxy S4, for $85 or so.

My friends and family always ask where I get these phones, but they are dubious about buying used phones online, so I "broker" for them as well. (If they have a flip phone, a Galaxy S3 for $55 is a big move up.) As a result, I've bought maybe 20-30 phones this way. Sometimes you get a dud, but the seller replaces it right away to preserve their 5-star ratings.

I prefer phones with replaceable batteries (3-4 year old phones have really poor batteries), and get brand new Anker batteries on Amazon for an additional $10-20.

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

Thank you all for your helpful responses so far.

I'm leaning towards the Moto G5 Plus, which, as somebody suggested above, is an incremental improvement over the G4 Plus.

But still giving it thought. I may not act for a few months, and who knows what new possibilities there may be? Fortunately, unlike 2 years ago (when the only real contender was the oneplus one), there are several very good unlocked options in the $200-400 range today, and very good phones are getting cheaper.

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:11 pm

I purchased a ZTE Axon 7. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones ... 212/review Newegg was offering a great deal on this phone- I never saw it for less than $399 before, but if you order quickly through newegg's store on eBay (ONLY through their eBay listings) you can get the phone new for $329 with no tax or shipping fee charged. I don't know if this is still available (I got mine last night)....but in case others are interested you might want to check it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/292085340231 The phone gets great reviews.

keystone

Post by keystone » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

I have the Moto G5 Plus (64gb version) and love it. The G4 Plus is also a very good phone for the money, but if I needed to buy a new phone I would definitely go with the G5 because of the smaller size, better camera and slightly better battery life. I just noticed the CNET review of the G5 Plus is out and it matches my assessment of the phone:

https://www.cnet.com/products/motorola- ... us/review/

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

keystone wrote:I have the Moto G5 Plus (64gb version) and love it. The G4 Plus is also a very good phone for the money, but if I needed to buy a new phone I would definitely go with the G5 because of the smaller size, better camera and slightly better battery life. I just noticed the CNET review of the G5 Plus is out and it matches my assessment of the phone:

https://www.cnet.com/products/motorola- ... us/review/
Between the G5 Plus at $229/$299 or the Axon 7 at its regular $399 price I also would have bought the G5 Plus....seems like an excellent phone at a great price. But for $329 the Axon 7 seems to be worth the extra price over the G5 Plus to me ( better display and sound quality, more powerful, better build etc). Also the Axon 7 is sold without shipping or tax included by Newegg via eBay. They both feature expandable storage which is a critical feature for me

If it turns out to be a disappointment I will return it to Newegg (30 day return policy) and get the G5 Plus.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Just curious.

Is it videos that are pushing you over 64GB or GPS maps?

My 16GB and 32 GB mobile devices are constraining only due to videos.

Maybe there is something else that chews up space.

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 pm

MathWizard wrote:Just curious.

Is it videos that are pushing you over 64GB or GPS maps?

My 16GB and 32 GB mobile devices are constraining only due to videos.

Maybe there is something else that chews up space.
Mostly music.

I have over 10K songs on my phone.

I have already deleted multiple videos and apps to make space. Including my own performances.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Nexus 6P 128 gb under $400.00 new

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

My first impression of the Axon 7 leaves me very happy for $329.
Very good display and volume, relatively little bloatware, and I added a 128 Gb SDHC card.
The fingerprint sensor is cool. What can I say? I'm still like a little boy.
I'm happy with my choice.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:04 am

protagonist wrote:My first impression of the Axon 7 leaves me very happy for $329.
Very good display and volume, relatively little bloatware, and I added a 128 Gb SDHC card.
The fingerprint sensor is cool. What can I say? I'm still like a little boy.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:51 am

This is the Axon 7 Mini version (5.2" screen)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY ... f35785cdeb

Pretty good price.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

badger42

Post by badger42 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Nexus 6P is a bad idea, they're having a high failure rate plus the usual lawsuit.

The Oneplus 3T is a *really* nice phone. If my Nexus 5X were to die tomorrow it's what I would buy.

The Oneplus 5 (likely no 4 due to Chinese numerology) will have a spec bump. The 5T or 6 will again have a spec bump.

Standard electronics buying advice: Buy the best thing at the time. As soon as you buy it, do your best to ignore that category for at least 6 months. Don't sweat upcoming releases unless you can use them to get a good deal (e.g. I got a really good deal on a Galaxy Tab S2 in part because the Galaxy Tab S3 was coming soon)

Thrift Shop

Post by Thrift Shop » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 pm

dbltrbl wrote:Nexus 6P 128 gb under $400.00 new

can you tell me where to find that price? I do not see it on Google's website.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Samsung S7
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon May 08, 2017 9:46 pm

bloom2708 wrote:This is the Axon 7 Mini version (5.2" screen)

Pretty good price.
This phone has an appealing size and price, but it seems it only works on GSM so it won't work on Verizon?
How does this phone's speed and responsiveness compare to the Moto 5gPlus?

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Saving$ wrote:

Pretty good price.
This phone has an appealing size and price, but it seems it only works on GSM so it won't work on Verizon?
Axon 7 mini did not get as good reviews as the larger version. I think the 5g plus got better reviews. I would have purchased the Moto if I did not get the Axon 7 (larger size) on sale. But the A.7 mini and the 5g plus are different animals....depends on whether or not you like a bigger phone.
I prefer the bigger screen.
So far I am content with the Axon 7. Very good phone for the price I paid ($329 on sale).

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm
Saving$ wrote:

Pretty good price.
Axon 7 mini did not get as good reviews as the larger version. I think the 5g plus got better reviews. I would have purchased the Moto if I did not get the Axon 7 (larger size) on sale. But the A.7 mini and the 5g plus are different animals....depends on whether or not you like a bigger phone.
I prefer the bigger screen.
So far I am content with the Axon 7. Very good phone for the price I paid ($329 on sale).
Hi Protagonist,

FYI, I have received a Costco flyer with the upcoming holiday sales. Between November 17 and 27, they will be selling unlocked Moto G5 Plus at $50 off, for $169.99.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

I'm leaning towards the Moto G5 Plus, which, as somebody suggested above, is an incremental improvement over the G4 Plus.

But still giving it thought. I may not act for a few months, and who knows what new possibilities there may be? Fortunately, unlike 2 years ago (when the only real contender was the oneplus one), there are several very good unlocked options in the $200-400 range today, and very good phones are getting cheaper.
I've been using the Moto G5 Plus for several months now, and have no complaints whatsoever.

If you're leaning towards this phone, and planning to wait a while anyway, I might suggest that you monitor the price on Amazon frequently, as it seems to fluctuate. When I was first looking for a new phone for my wife, we checked out this phone on Amazon and the price was $230. A week later, when we decided to buy it, the price had dropped to $199. About a week and a half after that, when I decided I liked her phone so much that I wanted one for myself, the price was $179. I recommended it to my brother yesterday, and he bought one (Walmart.com) for $250. It seems to be all over the place...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 pm

SoDakJeff wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am
protagonist wrote:

I've been using the Moto G5 Plus for several months now, and have no complaints whatsoever.

If you're leaning towards this phone, and planning to wait a while anyway, I might suggest that you monitor the price on Amazon frequently, as it seems to fluctuate. When I was first looking for a new phone for my wife, we checked out this phone on Amazon and the price was $230. A week later, when we decided to buy it, the price had dropped to $199. About a week and a half after that, when I decided I liked her phone so much that I wanted one for myself, the price was $179. I recommended it to my brother yesterday, and he bought one (Walmart.com) for $250. It seems to be all over the place...
I had a similar experience with Amazon price fluctuations. However, when it comes to such a sophisticated device as a smartphone, it may be prudent to buy it from a place with physical presence and a generous return policy. Thus, i am seriously considering getting this phone from Costco when they start offering a $50 discount, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=216655&p=3606812#p3605332

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi Protagonist,

FYI, I have received a Costco flyer with the upcoming holiday sales. Between November 17 and 27, they will be selling unlocked Moto G5 Plus at $50 off, for $169.99.

Victoria
Hi, Victoria.

Since I started this thread, I signed up with xfinity mobile and can now compare 5 phones. In addition to the Axon 7, I got 3 phones dirt cheap during a promo via xfinity mobile, and I still have my old oneplus one.

My conclusion....there is very little difference between cell phones these days other than hype.

My gf has a new iPhone 6s (flagship). She prefers a smaller phone (hand size), whereas I prefer a larger one. The others are all much larger.

I have three phones- Samsung S7 Edge (flagship) , ZTE Axon 7 (midrange) , and LG XCharge (dirt cheap) that was selling for $1 new unlocked via Xfinity Mobile. It currently costs $99 via Cricket. PLus my old Oneplus One (3+ years old and still going strong).

The X Charge has a slightly duller screen than the two flagship models (iPhone and Samsung, which are pretty identical in quality). This is a disadvantage in daylight conditions. It is a little slower, but not painfully so, and the camera is a bit inferior, especially in low light conditions.

IMHO the Samsung S7 Edge, the Axon 7 and the XCharge have a major advantage over the iPhone as they have expandable storage (huge selling point for me and the reason I needed to replace my Oneplus One), and the Samsung and the Xcharge use the universal standard micro-USB cables. Others might not care about these things.
The Axon 7 uses USB-C, which will soon become the new standard cable, but for now it is not interchangeable with the others, so you will need to buy a dedicated car charger and possibly additional chargers and cables or adapters depending on your needs.

The XCharge has the best battery life of the four phones.

The Axon 7 has the best sound quality for playing music, though the differences between them are not very great.

The XCharge has a major advantage over the other phones since if you drop it in the toilet or break it or your battery dies you won't be miserable about having to replace it. That gives it an edge both from a financial and a psychological perspective. I haven't used it much.

Otherwise, the four new phones are nearly identical in form and function, and the new phones have only small incremental advantages over my old Oneplus One. I imagine that is true about most smartphones on the market in 2017.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

tfb

Post by tfb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:51 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am
The XCharge has a major advantage over the other phones since if you drop it in the toilet or break it or your battery dies you won't be miserable about having to replace it. That gives it an edge both from a financial and a psychological perspective.
I'm using my $1 X Charge. It works just fine. I debated whether I should spend $2 on a case for a $1 phone.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:54 am

tfb wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:51 am
protagonist wrote:
The XCharge has a major advantage over the other phones since if you drop it in the toilet or break it or your battery dies you won't be miserable about having to replace it. That gives it an edge both from a financial and a psychological perspective.
I'm using my $1 X Charge. It works just fine. I debated whether I should spend $2 on a case for a $1 phone.
Go for it!!! You worked hard. You deserve it.

You should have purchased 3 of them instead while you had the chance, instead of spending $2 on a case. It would probably have been a better investment in the long run.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm

protagonist wrote:
Hi, Victoria.

Since I started this thread, I signed up with xfinity mobile and can now compare 5 phones. In addition to the Axon 7, I got 3 phones dirt cheap during a promo via xfinity mobile, and I still have my old oneplus one.

My conclusion....there is very little difference between cell phones these days other than hype.
Thank you very much, protagonist,

If most smartphones are pretty much the same, I may as well get Moto G5 Plus for $169.99 when it goes on sale in Costco on 17-27 November. My problem is that I have a backlog of priority tasks, and figuring out new technology will require a large block of time. The phone I bought four years ago is still in a box. If my new phone is also destined for an eternal box living, I prefer to waste $170 rather than a larger sum.

Victoria

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Samsung S8
Google Pixel 2 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm
protagonist wrote:
Hi, Victoria.

Thank you very much, protagonist,

If most smartphones are pretty much the same, I may as well get Moto G5 Plus for $169.99 when it goes on sale in Costco on 17-27 November. My problem is that I have a backlog of priority tasks, and figuring out new technology will require a large block of time. The phone I bought four years ago is still in a box. If my new phone is also destined for an eternal box living, I prefer to waste $170 rather than a larger sum.

Victoria
That sounds like a great plan.

Post by 2015 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 pm

SoDakJeff wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am
protagonist wrote:

This is why I only shop in Avast's bank mode. After the browser is closed, the session disappears as if it never happened once the browser has been cleared. Amazon, Google, Youtube, instagram, twitter all use algorithms and continuous A/B testing to nudge all of us towards certain behaviors (spending money) and away from others (leaving their site). I just finished two excellent books What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains and Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked. Two of the scariest takeaways are the degree to which technology has changed our experience of what it means to be human and that all of these organizations use a variety of means to manipulate us (price testing among them).

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Prior to having both of our phone screens replaced, I had a backup plan of buying Samsung Galaxy S6 on Amazon, new, unlocked for $279.00.

As it turned out our screen replacements on our Samsung Galaxy S5s were successful, so we have no reason to shop any longer. However, if I see an unbelievably good price on an upgrade for our current phones (must be Samsung) during the Black Friday sales I might jump on them.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Toons wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm
Samsung S8
After 2 days experience I'd add Samsung Note 8 - phenomenal camera that has almost of many customization options as my DSLR. S-pen stylus is also great - need to learn how to use it!

This comment is for Toons - not for the OP. Its in the same price range as the newest iPhone.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Lynette wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:13 pm
Toons wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm
Samsung S8
After 2 days experience I'd add Samsung Note 8 - phenomenal camera that has almost of many customization options as my DSLR. S-pen stylus is also great - need to learn how to use it!

This comment is for Toons - not for the OP. Its in the same price range as the newest iPhone.
Agree ,Note is Superb :thumbsup