Washer/dryer suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
financial.freedom

Washer/dryer suggestions?

Post by financial.freedom » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Our top-load washer shakes so much that it cannot handle more than one or two towels, even if they are evenly distributed. Last night, it shook so much that by the time we stopped it, there was a crack in the water line and it leaked all over the floor. Our dryer is getting pretty old as well and developing a permanent odor.

Is a front load washer better than top-load? It seems there would be less shaking on the floor. Any suggestions for brand? We are budgeting about 1500 to 2k for a nice washer/dryer set that will hopefully last 10+ years.

Thank you in advance!

Rupert

Re: Washer/dryer suggestions?

Post by Rupert » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 pm

When I first bought my high-efficiency front-load washer I loved it. Used lots less water. Ran very quiet and played a catchy little tune when it finished a load. Clothes seemed to come out just as clean. But now, a few years later, I hate it. The damned thing stinks to high heaven, and the stink will not die. I use Affresh in it a couple of times of month, and it doesn't help much. I will switch back to a top load machine when this one dies. I'm hoping they improve the efficiency of top-load machines by then.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Personally we liked the top loaders. We have fronts now but I'd rather go back to top loading after I rebuild our laundry room. They might take more water, but we're on a well, so I don't care.

Our rental house also has fronts, they are ge. I had to take apart the washer and replace the front door seal. Not a big deal, but two hours of work.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Rupert wrote:When I first bought my high-efficiency front-load washer I loved it. Used lots less water. Ran very quiet and played a catchy little tune when it finished a load. Clothes seemed to come out just as clean. But now, a few years later, I hate it. The damned thing stinks to high heaven, and the stink will not die. I use Affresh in it a couple of times of month, and it doesn't help much. I will switch back to a top load machine when this one dies. I'm hoping they improve the efficiency of top-load machines by then.
Leave the door open, it's another reason I hate front loading.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Leaving the door open might help, but it is not going to cure the problem which is excessive moisture in the door seal. It was a problem when front loaders recently became popular (although I remember Bendix front loaders back in the 1940's) and will always continue to be a problem. :annoyed We have gone back to Speed Queen top loader with agitator and its matching electric dryer.
Last edited by tomd37 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:34 pm

We're just putting up with the front loader for now. Once I rebuild our laundry room, they're going on Craigslist. Totally overrated.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Is the floor where you have your washer/dryer sloped/slanted? If your washer is moving, it is not level. You can adjust the feet up or down to get it balanced out. Get a level and check all directions. Adjust the feet and placement.

A front loader spins at a much higher rate than a top load. Because of this, it is even more important that it is balanced. Even being slightly off will cause it to move around.

We had a Maytag top load set for ~18 years. We got more than our money out. We now have a Maytag front load (7700 series?) set. Bigger loads, less water used, less detergent used (HE), less electricity used to dry because the spin cycle gets more water out.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Our LG front-loader washer & dryer are fabulous, have never smelled, and are trivial to clean. We wipe down the seal once every few weeks to remove bits of hair & fur. Moisture doesn't accumulate because the door closes with a "soft-latch" that leaves an air gap so it dries thoroughly between loads. We got the WM3370 and DL3370 set just over a year ago, from Costco. We were expecting it would be an improvement over old Maytag top-loader washer & dryer—but it turns out to be a dramatic improvement. The wash cycle takes longer, but each load is more than twice as big and clothes come out nearly dry. We love them.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:38 pm

squirm wrote:
Rupert wrote:When I first bought my high-efficiency front-load washer I loved it. Used lots less water. Ran very quiet and played a catchy little tune when it finished a load. Clothes seemed to come out just as clean. But now, a few years later, I hate it. The damned thing stinks to high heaven, and the stink will not die. I use Affresh in it a couple of times of month, and it doesn't help much. I will switch back to a top load machine when this one dies. I'm hoping they improve the efficiency of top-load machines by then.
Leave the door open, it's another reason I hate front loading.
We do, and it doesn't help. Actually, it makes us hate the thing more because we're always bumping into the door and the noxious odor escapes into the room. Mine is also an LG. Works great. Stinks. I wipe down the seal (and even clean it with bleach or vinegar, which I know (actually hope at this point) will destroy the seal) every weekend. I've tried all the different brands of tub cleaners. Affresh works best, but it still stinks.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I think top load non high efficiency are the best. The front loaders do ok from what I understand, but as others have said you have to leave the door open. The front loaders I've seen eat up a lot more floor space than the top loaders. Whatever you do, stay away from a top load high efficiency unit. They cannot properly distribute the little amount of water to clean your clothes.

My wife and I are happy with our used washer and dryer even though we could have got cheap new units for the same price. We decided to buy used because I felt we were better off getting a quality brand that was older rather than a new model that was cheap and not well made.

If you want to splurge, the Speed Queens look pretty sweet: http://time.com/money/4688676/speed-que ... ican-made/

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Consumer Reports says: Maytag Maxima MHW5500FW washing machine for $900 (Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy)
It has a matching dryer.
You will probably want the [never on sale] XHP1000XW 10" Laundry Pedestal - White for $200

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Our Whirlpool Duet front-loader works great and leaving the door open has prevented any odor. If it wasn't in a dedicated laundry room, it would bug me that the door had to be left open.

I love that I can put huge loads in there and they come out clean and I also love how dry the clothes are when the load is done, so I can use the lowest heat setting on the dryer and the load still dries pretty quickly.

CJC000

Post by CJC000 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Our next W/D will be Speed Queen. Commercial quality, metal gears not plastic. Built to last.
All the big box models (Samsung, LG, etc) are plastic junk with fancy fronts and little used cycles with tons of buttons...

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:41 pm

I have heard, and have no way of confirming, that Consumer Reports does not evaluate Speed Queen washers and dryers because they consider them commercial grade products. Can anyone confirm my understanding? I believe they have evaluated their repair records though.
Tom D.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:26 pm

As is often said here, Speed Queen is the king of reliability and performance is excellent, too. I have them and always recommend both the washer and dryer. Forget about consumer rept's.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:31 pm

I think the front load washers and dryers are overrated.

They are expensive, and typically most people purchase a base to set the machines on so they are not too close to the floor. ( these are not cheap either)

My mom has had one for a couple of years. Leaving the door open and wiping the seal dry after each load has kept hers from smelling.

The washer shakes violently sometimes. These things spin fast and if it is, or becomes off level get ready for some shaking!

Personally I would not spend the money for a front load when a top load works just fine and is less expensive.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:37 pm

FraggleRock wrote:Consumer Reports says: Maytag Maxima MHW5500FW washing machine for $900 (Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy)
It has a matching dryer.
You will probably want the [never on sale] XHP1000XW 10" Laundry Pedestal - White for $200
lol The worst of both worlds... We have had NOTHING but issues with both Maytag and Lowes..... Not sure which is the worst. Do youself a favor and buy a different brand anywhere else.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:48 pm

I know someone who flips W/D sets on Craigslist. He said it's amazing what good sets you can get for $150-200 in many cases. He won't pay more than $150 per set and even at that price has seen nearly new/lightly used.

robertalpert

Post by robertalpert » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 pm

We have a front load LG washer. It runs acceptably, I guess, but I dislike the thumping / out of balance noise when spinning. We had a mildew problem, but solved that by putting a small amount of chlorine bleach in with the detergent each and every load (no exceptions) . No more mildew odor.

Our LG dryer works well with no complaints whatsoever. I would recommend LG dryers.

Whenever we replace our washer, I'm considering a speed queen top loader (with agitator).
Last edited by robertalpert on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Fix the top loader. Many complaints with the new side loading machines. Those older top loaders, especially those built with metal parts are designed to last a lifetime. Some plastic parts do break more often. The new machines seem to be designed for 5 years (just when the extended warranties expire). And unlike the machines of past, the new machines are often unfixable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA98ZmnzEfc

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

High efficiency washers, both top loaders and front loaders, have dampener struts supporting the drum to reduce vibration, very similar to car struts.

If these wear out, you'll get consistent heavy vibration if the load is the tiniest bit imbalanced. It happened to our top loader (and the damping oil leaked onto the floor...boo), and I was able to replace them to fix the vibration.

For ours, the cost of new struts was around $100 for the pair, which I thought was a questionable cost for a 10 year old washer where something else might fail any time. Fortunately, I found a used set on Ebay for $40. That was worth just for the extra time it gives us to shop for a replacement.

If you replace the washer, be aware Samsung is dealing (or rather not dealing) with a massive recall on their most popular top loaders. If you find yourself considering a Samsung, do some due diligence in trying to find out if it's one of the potentially affected models.
http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/cons ... -of-repair

For type of washer, I think Consumer Reports concluded front loaders still do slightly better than top load HE washers, but both kinds are in most regards well ahead of agitator top loaders. Agitators are cheaper, but top load HE washers clean better, are quieter, and are gentler on clothes. They do tend to tangle clothes together during the spin cycle more that I was used to before, but it doesn't appear to be doing any harm. I'm pretty happy to stick with a high efficiency top loader in the future.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm

We have Samsung front end washer and dryer. I've personally taken the dryer apart at least 4x to replace parts. The parts were cheap...but thermostat, heating coil, high limit sensors....I've basically replaced everythign in that dryer except for the motor, drum belt, and control board.

I would not suggest Samsung.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:55 pm

financial.freedom wrote:Our top-load washer shakes so much that it cannot handle more than one or two towels, even if they are evenly distributed. Last night, it shook so much that by the time we stopped it, there was a crack in the water line and it leaked all over the floor. Our dryer is getting pretty old as well and developing a permanent odor.

Is a front load washer better than top-load? It seems there would be less shaking on the floor. Any suggestions for brand? We are budgeting about 1500 to 2k for a nice washer/dryer set that will hopefully last 10+ years.

Thank you in advance!
My new top-load washer shook when I first bought it. I bought an extended warranty, based on the recommendation of my brother and sister-in-law, so I called the dealer. The person who came out diagnosed the problem immediately, without even looking at the washer. He said the delivery people did not remove the packing screws. (I think he called them screws.) He removed the screws and,voila, no shaking – just an almost inaudible vibration during the rinse cycles.
Gordon

imbogled

Post by imbogled » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:39 am

Do a search for Speed Queen using the search bar above and you will probably lean heavily towards purchasing that brand after reading the results.
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 am

I just purchased a pair of Speed Queen's, having had Kenmore's forever. Happy so far.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 pm

We have a Maytag top loading high efficiency washer and I am less than thrilled with it. It makes a lot of funny noises and the lid locks so I can't really see what is going on during the wash/rinse cycles. We have had a repair guy out two or three times in four years we have had it.
We also have a matching Maytag dryer that I am similarly less than thrilled with.
I'm not sure what we will do if and when it needs replacement.

Edited to correct an error.
Bob

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I have a GE Profile high efficiency top load washer which does not have a center agitator. It's 7 or 8 years old and I have never had a problem with it. Because it is a top load I don't have the issue of mold around the door seals. I do leave the top open when it is not in use so it will dry out. I don't see any reason to get a front load unless you are putting the machine someplace where you can't use a top load.

mclvngr

Post by mclvngr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:36 pm

I just bought a pair of Speed Queens last week. So far so good! I was sold by reading reviews from their loyal customer base, the fact that they're made in the USA, and the no-frills technology.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Most of the newer ones are not built to last.

When I did my research on these a couple of years ago, I found that the only 2 brands that seem to have good reviews now are SpeedQueen and Miele. The Miele is about 2x the cost but it comes with a lot more (like, e.g., an internal water heater and the a setting for washing silk). The SpeedQueen is more old school and it is often found in laundromats.

Mike83

Post by Mike83 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm

Never had a mold problem with my Bosch front loader. I do a load of whites per week and always use bleach. I leave the door ajar, not open.

For shaking, there are excellent engineered disk shaped polymer cushions sold on Amazon that will mellow out the rock and roll. They are very expensive, like $50. But they absolutely work. For six years my machine would move around in its confined space, driving me nuts as it made a racket throughout the house. These pads act as shock absorbers that calm the whole situation down, and the machine has not moved now in two years of use. Better for me and better for the machine, I'm sure. Once in place, the machine will not, cannot be slid across the floor, so to put the disks in place you need to think through a plan to temporarily levitate the machine. If the space is open, it's easy enough to tilt the machine up on one side at a time and slip them under. But if the space is confined on all sides, you can get the machine on a block of wood and then place the disks with a broom handle, and then subsequently tip the machine back and remove the block.

You can always send them back if they don't work for you.

spooky105

Post by spooky105 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:51 am

Have a Speed Queen dryer and will purchase a top loader here when our washer gives up the ghost / after we tackle a few other capital expenses around the house. Space doesn't support a front load model, otherwise we'd go that direction.

SQ makes top-load and front load washer models. Down range they had both in the laundromat -- used the front loads and didn't' notice the typical odor issues and was pleased with the results. There may have been some extra TLC going on in the background, but the SQ rep I emailed stated the drum / system is specifically designed to combat odor issues. I don't ever recall odor issues when I've used commercial front loads at laundromats off and on through the years, though I know its a consistent issue for residential units from multiple brands.

Bottom line: figure if SQ is good enough for soldiers coming in the from the field then they'll take whatever you're throwing at them at home. A 5-year warranty and 25-year design life don't hurt either.

financial.freedom

Post by financial.freedom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Thank you for all of the replies!

I was able to fix our top-load washer that was leaking. The Speed Queen washer is expensive, but I think worth it. So decided to use our current washer/dryer for another year and budget for SQ next year.

Thank you again!

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:34 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm
For type of washer, I think Consumer Reports concluded front loaders still do slightly better than top load HE washers, but both kinds are in most regards well ahead of agitator top loaders. Agitators are cheaper, but top load HE washers clean better, are quieter, and are gentler on clothes. They do tend to tangle clothes together during the spin cycle more that I was used to before, but it doesn't appear to be doing any harm. I'm pretty happy to stick with a high efficiency top loader in the future.
I was going to start a new thread but I found this one, and decided to add to it/revive it. I'm planning on buying a Whirlpool W&D set and the washer is a top-loading HE unit. I used a similar LG model at an AirBnB recently and liked it, once I got used to seeing how little water they use. I've noted that thousands of reviews on Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc etc all consistently rate this model at ~4.5 stars out of 5. For example, there are 2,563 reviews at Lowes, and 2,108 give it 4 or 5 stars.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Cabr ... R/50270229

When I looked at the reviews on CR, however, they are overwhelmingly negative (53 of the 67 reviews give it only 1 star).
https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... /overview/

I was taken aback and wondered why the reviews on CR are so negative, and then I looked at other HE top loaders and every single HE top loader on CR had overwhelmingly negative reviews, even ones that CR themselves rates highly. I'm still fairly confident in the unit I selected but it makes me wonder why the CR reviewers had such a different experience.

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 pm

We have a 22 year old Maytag W/D set, and they are absolute beasts. A while back, the hot water stopped filling into the washer tub. I bought an $11 water intake valve, swapped it out in 10 minutes and the thing works like new again. My mother and father had to buy a new washer after theirs died. The appliance salesman essentially told them buying top of the line from any of the major brands just isn't worth it as the quality overall has diminished so dramatically over the last decade or so. He told them 5 years or so is all you'll get out of a washer before you can expect to start having issues. I'm planning on keeping ours and fixing them as long as we can. We will likely move in the next couple years, and I'll definitely haul them along.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Years ago it seemed like the top load washers I had would get unbalanced very easily. Then something happened in washerland, at least ten years ago, and that problem seems to have been fixed. I have always bought top load washers. Perhaps your current washer is old?

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:31 am

CJC000 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm
Our next W/D will be Speed Queen. Commercial quality, metal gears not plastic. Built to last.
All the big box models (Samsung, LG, etc) are plastic junk with fancy fronts and little used cycles with tons of buttons...
+1
This was the brand I was advised to purchase by our friendly appliance repairman. It's the closest thing to "your grandmother's washer". Made in USA, won't save any water, no bells or whistles to break. I wrote in permanent marker under the lid of our current washing machine, "replace with Speed Queen!"

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:36 am

My criteria is to buy name brand with absolutely no bells and whistles. All physical buttons. No screen nonsense.

jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:15 am

Im a cheap bastard, and I just have a very cheap washer I picked up a year or two ago, and a 25 year old dryer I stole from my dad's basement, but whenever I get around to buying a house, it's Speed Queen 100%.

I'm no expert at all so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but from what I know- American made (parts/assembly??) no frills, solid as hell and will last a long, long time. As mentioned its what they use in laundromats/commerical grade. You go to Best Buy and see these 2k W/D sets with all these fancy buttons and screens...all just BS gimmicks and basically the damn thing will have issues or break just like the cheap ones in a few years, and often the circuit boards fail on them...LG usually I think I've heard are the worst for that. I've seen and heard many examples of people dropping a ton of money for the top of the line newest gimmick fancy stuff in BB only for it to break 2 years later in some way or another. My mom had bought some top of the line Maytag stuff 20 years ago that was top of the line solid inside stuff, and they literally lasted 20 years. IIRC, at 20 years they were starting to fail or show their age big time, but still worked. This year she finally broke down and bought new stuff. She talked to the same small dealer she got the stuff from and said now basically everything I sell is junk except for SQ. She got a good deal on some last years floor models or something.

I'm cheap, but a Speed Queen W/D is something worth spending the money for up front imo

p14175

Post by p14175 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:21 pm

I was going to start a new thread but I found this one, and decided to add to it/revive it. I'm planning on buying a Whirlpool W&D set and the washer is a top-loading HE unit. I used a similar LG model at an AirBnB recently and liked it, once I got used to seeing how little water they use. I've noted that thousands of reviews on Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc etc all consistently rate this model at ~4.5 stars out of 5. For example, there are 2,563 reviews at Lowes, and 2,108 give it 4 or 5 stars.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Cabr ... R/50270229

When I looked at the reviews on CR, however, they are overwhelmingly negative (53 of the 67 reviews give it only 1 star).
https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... /overview/

I was taken aback and wondered why the reviews on CR are so negative, and then I looked at other HE top loaders and every single HE top loader on CR had overwhelmingly negative reviews, even ones that CR themselves rates highly. I'm still fairly confident in the unit I selected but it makes me wonder why the CR reviewers had such a different experience.
I spend more time looking at poor reviews than good reviews when buying something as expensive as an appliance. If the one and two star reviews are all about nicks, dings, and scratches you know the reviewers are nitpicking trivial problems, but if they say 'the appliance doesn't perform as advertised and here's why', then you know there's a problem.

Another place you might look for reviews would be on appliance repair forums. If I had looked there I would never have bought the Jenn-Air electric range we recently replaced. It turns out Jenn-Air electric range computers had a lot of complaints, but the company never offered a solution.

My experience with top loading washing machines has always been poor. I had to babysit our last one because every time the tub started moving it lost its balance and would move across the laundry room floor. Our front loader doesn't do that. I mostly use an outdoor clothesline for drying, but use the dryer for things like socks and underwear -- things are a pain to hang on the clothesline. My dryer is an old electric Speed Queen we bought from a used appliance store over 30 years ago. It has never been a problem.

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 pm

For what it is worth, here is the latest review that I just received on washers from The Wirecutter. They favor an LG Front loading model, the WM 3770HWA

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... c-89046525

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:06 pm

financial.freedom wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:13 pm
Our top-load washer shakes so much that it cannot handle more than one or two towels, even if they are evenly distributed. Last night, it shook so much that by the time we stopped it, there was a crack in the water line and it leaked all over the floor. Our dryer is getting pretty old as well and developing a permanent odor.

Thank you in advance!
I highly recommend a high efficiency washer. I have a Whirlpool front loader (duet HT model GHW9200LQ), and while it's not perfect, it's far superior to any conventional top loader I've ever used. Mine is about 15 years old, and it's been reliable. (The only repair it needed, which I performed, was the replacement of the large aluminum drive pulley that was stressed to failure by frequently overloaded cycles. :annoyed ) There has never been any odor problem with this Whirlpool.

Here are the advantages:

► Far less water consumption
► Far better water extraction, which means:
— Less soap residue left on clothes
— Shortened drying times
► Far more flexible wash conditions, including these advantages:
— Ability to wash far larger items at home
— Ability to wash larger loads (or smaller loads) effectively
— Ability to wash delicate items effectively in very gentle cycles
— A sanitizing high temperature option
► Nice touches that sensors allow, like automatically adding just a bit of warm water near the end of a "cold" wash fill to bring the load up to roughly room temperature, and the automatic adjustment of water levels to account for different load sizes
► Far less wear on clothes (i.e. it's much gentler) than top loaders. The evidence includes less lint production showing up in the wastewater lint traps and the dryer lint trap, and noticeably improved longevity of clothes.

The only disadvantages:

► The washer is prone to large, loud vibrations during high speed spins. The washer is on a concrete basement floor, and sits on an extremely heavy-duty and stable wood pedestal I built, so the vibrations are very manageable. I don't know if they would be tolerable on a wood-framed floor adjacent to a living space.
► Longer wash times
► A tendency to tangle clothes, producing un-balanced spin cycles and vibrations. I learned to minimize tangling by buttoning up shirts and turning them inside-out to keep the sleeves tucked in, and turning pants half inside-out to leave half of the pant legs folded in on themselves.

I have no familiarity with high efficiency top loaders.

I did not feel the need to buy a matching dryer, and have been happy with that decision, though you need to make sure the dryer capacity is sufficient for the larger capacity of the front loading washer.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

wdnnikl

Post by wdnnikl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Two years ago we bought a Speed Queen top loader washer and within a week the fill valve began leaking. Speed Queen sent a repair part and I replaced it with neither being too much hassle. No further issues to date. Mexico was stamped on the valve. :annoyed

DW is happy with it. :happy

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Put me in the category if people that like frontloaders. We have had them since 2002. First one was just replaced last year...last 14 years. We have never had a moisture or mildew problem with it like some have, but we have always left the door open a crack when it is not in use.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm

p14175 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:21 pm
I spend more time looking at poor reviews than good reviews when buying something as expensive as an appliance. If the one and two star reviews are all about nicks, dings, and scratches you know the reviewers are nitpicking trivial problems, but if they say 'the appliance doesn't perform as advertised and here's why', then you know there's a problem.
I agree about the poor reviews being generally more insightful.When I skimmed through the 1-star reviews on CR, I found most of them indicated the user wasn't using the machine properly, mostly re: how it didn't add enough water when washing a comforter but it was clear they hadn't used the "bulky items" option. Good idea about the repair sites though.