Affordable cellphone with the best camera possible

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
misterno

Affordable cellphone with the best camera possible

Post by misterno » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 pm

My son keeps dropping my wife's phone which is HTC One M7. We need to get a new one

So this time I wanted to get something that has better camera. After researching alittle, I found that the pixel number is useless rather the size of the sensor on the cellphone is determining the quality of the photos you are taking

Another research reveals the cellphones with best pictures and approx. ebay prices

Iphone 7 $750
Samsung S7 $390
Huawei P9 $330
Google Pixel $600

I did not want to spend more than $150. Surprising enough and hard to believe, I bought my wife's phone 2 years ago for $150 on ebay and now same phone ebay is same price. I am not sure what is going on here.

Any ideas on what I can get?
I was not able to find a website that compares all phones and sorts them by picture quality. So I am not able to compare picture quality with iphone 5s vs htc one m7. Any websites out there that does it?

Like I want to see something like this; from best to worst

iphone 7
Samsung s7
Huawei p9
google pixel
iphone 6s
vs vs vs vs

finite_difference

Re: Affordable cellphone with the best camera possible

Post by finite_difference » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:29 pm

On the Apple side, I would not to go lower than an iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S camera should be decent, and take better picture than the HTC One M7. Also should be pretty affordable.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:37 pm

$150 is really cheap to get a good quality phone/camera. For a REALLY good camera (unless you want a windows phone :oops: ) you are probably looking at 400 bucks. Unless you can find a refurb or used one.
Why does a kid need an expensive phone to take selfies? Especially one that repeatedly drops it. You need a cheap, durable phone. Check out this boglehead ($99 at amazon)phone:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/alcatel-one ... -3547.html
If you do decide to go with an expensive phone, you might consider third party insurance, or at least an otter box.
(Rereading the op, I am not sure if you are looking for a new phone for the wife or one for the son, or both).
This cheap phone has dual cameras with some interesting features.
https://www.cnet.com/products/zte-blade-v8-pro/review/
although cnet liked this one better:
https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-zenfone-3/
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDot

Post by JDot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 pm

I just went through this research/analysis because my Nexus 5x died.

There are three phones that stand head and shoulders above the rest in term of cameras. Here they are:

Google's new Pixel (either small or large size)
iPhone 7 plus (note I said plus)
Samsung S7 (it's so good that the Samsung S8 just announced is keeping the same hardware)

There are plenty of phones with good cameras, but these 3 (4 if you count the S8) stand above all others based upon *my* research.

I don't have a cell phone contract, yet I opted to go with a used S7 tied to my carrier, Verizon. It was $315 used from Swappa. The specific seller I purchased from was a company which offered a 60 day return policy.

I am very happy with it so far. It's also waterproof down to 5 feet for a certain duration (I think 30 mins).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm

You can get a refurbished iPhone 5S for $99.99.

https://www.techbargains.com/apple-iphone-5s-deals

As a previous post mentioned. 5S is as far back as you want to go. You can get a 6, 16gb for around $220 refurbished.

https://www.techbargains.com/category/3 ... martphones

$150 is a pretty low bar. You can get good phones in that price range but not the flagship phones you are listing.

The Moto G Play 4 (with Amazon offers) for $99 is a good phone:

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Play-4th-ge ... oto+g+play
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 am

32GB Apple iPhone SE is $200

https://slickdeals.net/f/10026504-32gb- ... e-shipping

32GB Apple iPhone 6 is $200

https://slickdeals.net/f/10041900-32gb- ... 2#comments

I guess I should go with iphone 6? Someone comment please?

pochax

Post by pochax » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 am

Honor 8 (likely) has the same Leica-branded camera as the P9 but for $300 on sale new (see amazon prices).

my wife has it and it takes pretty good photos. i would put it under the iphone, samsung, pixel cameras but at a fraction of the price.

look at reviews online on the camera.

can even go cheaper with the Honor 6X but the camera is not quite as good as the honor 8.

arizonaslim

Post by arizonaslim » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:15 am

If your son has any interest in photography, an up-market phone like the iPhone or the Samsung S8 would be a good bet. He'd learn a LOT about composition and the use of light and color while taking photos that would be good enough to print.

Just make sure that the phone is protected with a case. I use an Otter Box for mine and highly recommend it.

jakepeters

Post by jakepeters » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 pm

In addition to the good suggestions above, and similar to the suggestion for the Nexus 5x, check out the Moto G4 Plus (June 2016) or Moto G5 Plus (March 2017).

I had the same issue after moving on from work-supplied iPhones (4, 6).

I wanted a $200-300 phone with a good camera. I was hoping the Nexus replacement would be my choice, but Google's next release of the Pixel at $600+ caused me to check out the Moto phones.

I am happy with the Moto G4 Plus. I've had it for about 4 months. The camera is probably almost as good as the iPhone 6. I paid $240 for the 64GB (storage)/4GB (RAM) version. I feel that it is about 80-90% of an iPhone for about 1/3 the price. Note that I am not a gamer and do not push my phone's processor hard. I also have a "real" camera (Olympus micro 4/3) for the majority of my non-snapshot photography. Overall, I think the phone is good, nice display, but the battery life is not as good as an iPhone (but can re-charge to 80% in about 15-20 min, so not a big deal for me).

Note that there a few Moto G4 or G5 variants. The one with the better camera is the Plus. The G4 Plus with 16GB of storage (2GB of RAM) can be found for <$200. Unlike the Plus on the iPhone, it does not refer to the screensize. The Moto G4 has a 5.5" screen. I wish it was 5" instead, but there was no good inexpensive smartphone with a good camera and 5" screen (except the Nexus 5x, but it was already 1.5 years old as of late 2016).

For research smartphone cameras, I suggest https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles.

The new Moto G5 Plus has not yet been rated by DXO Mark, but Ars Technica thought the G5 Plus camera was a step down:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03 ... -once-was/

Good Luck with your research,

JP

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:44 pm

pochax wrote:Honor 8 (likely) has the same Leica-branded camera as the P9 but for $300 on sale new (see amazon prices).

my wife has it and it takes pretty good photos. i would put it under the iphone, samsung, pixel cameras but at a fraction of the price.

look at reviews online on the camera.

can even go cheaper with the Honor 6X but the camera is not quite as good as the honor 8.
My spouse and I both have Honor 8s and are quite happy with the phone and its cameras. It is a bit slick so I'd recommend some kind of case to improve grip.

nilu19

Post by nilu19 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:11 pm

LG phones have a best camera with resonable price!!!
G3 and G2 variant both have an excellent camera.

New LG G3 $167: http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-LG-G3-D850-An ... 2247703455

Please search for the variant according to your service provider. Provided link is for AT&T unlocked, so if you have tmobile the please search on eBay accordingly before ordering.

Note: LG G4 has better camera but it had boot loop issue so do not recommend G4.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Two of my kids have Blu android phones from amazon (<$200) and they take some pretty awesome photos. Check out the specs. I think they are Blu Vivo 5 phones, but there may be newer models by now. Their pics are every bit as good if not better than mine from an iPhone 6.

BAM!

Post by BAM! » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I got Samsung S7 used for ~$350 several months ago. It's the best camera phone there is because it has the best sensor. it takes the best low light photos. when I compare it to my wife's iphone SE, also good, the S7 is better.

if you have kids, don't skimp on the camera, as you will want good pictures of them when they're little.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 pm

I'd argue that the best camera on a phone in terms of image quality is still the Nokia 808 Pureview, which came out in 2012. It has a relatively huge sensor that is significantly larger than anything currently sold and is paired to a Zeiss lens. It's like a Sony RX100 with a prime lens.

You can probably find these pretty cheap, but it's a slow phone that runs on an outdated OS that likely isn't supported anymore.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:21 am

Wow, I really can't believe no one has mentioned LG g5. Cheap and a great camera setup. Apple liked the dual camera setup so much they copied it in their iphone 7. And the processor is the same as the galaxy s7. The LG g5 got a bad rap for the silly modular design they did on that phone but it's nothing that a case can't hide. You can get one of these like new for about $200.

keystone

Post by keystone » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:50 am

jakepeters wrote:
The new Moto G5 Plus has not yet been rated by DXO Mark, but Ars Technica thought the G5 Plus camera was a step down:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03 ... -once-was/
My wife and I both had the Moto G4 Plus and thought it was a great overall phone for the money with a decent camera. She broke her phone on the day that just so happened to coincide with the release of the G5, so I figured I would give it a try. In the two weeks that I've had it, I'm thoroughly impressed. I love the smaller size and the battery life has been even better than the G4, which was already really good to begin with.

Most of all, the camera is noticeably better to me in the G5 plus. Since I have a fast moving 3 year old, time is of the essence when it comes to capturing the perfect shot and I've had far less blurry pictures with the G5. I compared my photos side by side with a friend who has a Google Pixel and I can't tell the difference. I suspect the Pixel is a little better in low light situations, but other than that I think the cameras are pretty close. So I'm puzzled how anyone can conclude that the G5 camera is a step down from the G4. I tend to like the CNET phone reviews and I eagerly await their full review of the G5 plus.

There are great deals to be found on G4 and G5s, particularly if you are willing to accept Amazon ads which many people don't seem to find too annoying.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 am

Optimizing for nothing but the camera I would get a Nokia Lumia 1020, then a Lumia 930 / Icon. Those are all available within budget on Swappa. All have optical image stabilization like the iPhone 7.

I had the Icon and its camera was far superior to the one in my iPhone 6. The 1020's 41 megapixel sensor is even better.

Now for the bad part: These all run Windows Phone, which no longer has much in the way of apps. It's really a shame, it was a great platform otherwise.