Honda Pilot good 1st vehicle for teen?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

Honda Pilot good 1st vehicle for teen?

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 am

My oldest son will start driving next year and I'm planning ahead. My wife currently drives a 2007 Honda Pilot, 130k miles. It has been very dependable, however she's been wishing for a new car :wink: We have a few options:
[1] Get a new vehicle for her, trade in the Pilot. Buy a used car for son to drive (eg. an Accord)
[2] Get a new vehicle for her, keep the Pilot and let our son drive it. No trade. ("A bird in the hand...")
[3] Keep the Pilot for wife, buy a used car for son (In this case we'd revisit the new car decision in a couple years when 2nd son starts driving)

Is the Pilot too much car for a 16 year old?
- Rather big. This is good in terms of having some more metal for protection, but it's also heavier and slower to stop than a sedan.
- Lots of seats, it's a 3-row. Plenty of room for friends.
- Too much power? Probably not, hopefully the weight would discourage reckless driving.

We'll pay maintenance on this vehicle, they'll pay for gas.

Younger son won't be driving for a couple more years but whatever car we have for our 1st son will likely be inherited by our 2nd. (Note: we're not planning on simply giving either kid their dream car, they can borrow this family car while they live with us and if they want something different they can work/save for it and we will help out a little.)

radiowave

Re: Honda Pilot good 1st vehicle for teen?

Post by radiowave » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 am

I've had a Honda CR-V for 13 years now, 162K miles and running very well. The Pilot is a little bit bigger but it should be a good car for your son. So I'll "vote" for option [2] :D
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 am

if you think your son has a good risk profile (not too aggressive as many young males tend to be), i would let him learn on the old pilot. once he masters driving on that changing to a smaller car will easier than going from small to big (and learning the dimensions and less responsive characteristics that go along with that). plus will keep your insurance costs as low as possible (you can probably go with little to no collision on an old car) since you'll be paying up the wazoo on liability for a 16-17yo male.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:06 am

#2 is reasonable. You know the history of the Pilot. On the bigger side is ok for safety purposes.

Our oldest got a hand me down 2007 Ford Edge with just over 100k. My wife got a new Ford Explorer and we just kept the Edge. The key for our insurance was to "self insure" by dropping down to liability only insurance for a new driver. Check with your insurance provider. Some assign a driver to a specific vehicle. Some pool everyone together. Best to assign a new driver to a liability only car.

In reality it was probably "too nice" for a new teen driver, but the transaction costs of selling, then buying something used for a lower price point, don't make much sense.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:15 am

I would probably also go with option 2 because that's how people did it when/where I grew up: Teenagers inherited their mom or dad's old car, and mom or dad got a new car. That said, because of the outrageous cost of insurance for teenage boys, I might call my insurance company and ask how much it would cost to insure the kid in the Pilot versus some other car I'm considering before making the decision.

fh2000

Post by fh2000 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 am

I drive a 2006 Honda Pilot. It is not a small car. I would trade-in the Pilot to get DW a new car. Buy a smaller 2nd hand car for your 16 year old son.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:25 am

Keep Pilot. But if I were a parent, I would take out 3rd row of seats or, if the son is trustworthy, strictly limit number of people allowed in the car.

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am

We are in almost the exact same situation, although it is closer to two years until my daughter will start driving and my wife's Pilot, though same vintage, has 40k fewer miles. Our plan is most likely option 2. We would rather she drive a bigger car than a smaller one for safety reasons. Although modern cars are all much safer than when we began driving, I'd still prefer a bit of mass on her side in a collision.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 am

I would've loved to have had a vehicle that could've gone semi-offroad (or at lease somewhere private)... with a back seat that would've laid down... back when I was in high school and my gf and I had no where to go.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 am

I know 3 young men who got old Honda Pilots from their parents as one of the parents got another newer vehicle. A Honda Pilot is just fine for a new driver.

Of course, I wonder why a 16-year old needs their own vehicle at all. If our teenagers wanted to use a car, they had to make sure they drove their parent(s) first to where the parent needed to go and picked them up, too. Better than Uber.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 am

fh2000 wrote:I drive a 2006 Honda Pilot. It is not a small car. I would trade-in the Pilot to get DW a new car. Buy a smaller 2nd hand car for your 16 year old son.

+1
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

Imbros

Post by Imbros » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 am

sunny_socal wrote:Is the Pilot too much car for a 16 year old? Absolutely yes.
- Rather big. This is good in terms of having some more metal for protection, but it's also heavier and slower to stop than a sedan. Just because it is big doesn't mean it protects better. It is a 10 years old vehicle. Also, driving a normal size vehicle would teach him to pay better attention to his surroundings.
- Lots of seats, it's a 3-row. Plenty of room for friends. Is this really relevant?
- Too much power? Probably not, hopefully the weight would discourage reckless driving. Pilot is 50% heavier than a Civic but has 150% more power than a Civic.

We'll pay maintenance on this vehicle, they'll pay for gas. About 50% more compared to a compact car?

Do yourself, your son, and the public a favor and buy him a decent used compact car. I live in a college town and I see too many college kids driving these large SUVs like tanks and not caring about anything.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy

Hanksmoney

Post by Hanksmoney » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 am

sunny_socal wrote:[1] Get a new vehicle for her, trade in the Pilot. Buy a used car for son to drive (eg. an Accord)

I would not do this because of all the loss you'd suffer with fees associated with buying and selling a car. Not to mention, purchase price is often higher than selling price. You'd just reduce your vehicle equity to get a car you know nothing about mechanically. Option 2 sounds like a winner to me unless your wife is cool with option 3. However, option 3 has issues if you end up needing to sell the Pilot in 2 years for the same reasons [1] is not good.

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 am

sunny_socal wrote:My oldest son will start driving next year and I'm planning ahead. My wife currently drives a 2007 Honda Pilot, 130k miles. It has been very dependable, however she's been wishing for a new car :wink: We have a few options:
[1] Get a new vehicle for her, trade in the Pilot. Buy a used car for son to drive (eg. an Accord)
[2] Get a new vehicle for her, keep the Pilot and let our son drive it. No trade. ("A bird in the hand...")
[3] Keep the Pilot for wife, buy a used car for son (In this case we'd revisit the new car decision in a couple years when 2nd son starts driving)

Is the Pilot too much car for a 16 year old?
- Rather big. This is good in terms of having some more metal for protection, but it's also heavier and slower to stop than a sedan.
- Lots of seats, it's a 3-row. Plenty of room for friends.
- Too much power? Probably not, hopefully the weight would discourage reckless driving.

We'll pay maintenance on this vehicle, they'll pay for gas.

Younger son won't be driving for a couple more years but whatever car we have for our 1st son will likely be inherited by our 2nd. (Note: we're not planning on simply giving either kid their dream car, they can borrow this family car while they live with us and if they want something different they can work/save for it and we will help out a little.)

Will be safe (for him). And, I imagine, his safety comes first to you. Not so safe for the rest of us, though.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am

MrNewEngland wrote:I would've loved to have had a vehicle that could've gone semi-offroad (or at lease somewhere private)... with a back seat that would've laid down... back when I was in high school and my gf and I had no where to go.

I know right? Knock down both rows of seats and you could even fit a couple sleeping bags in there and look at the night sky through the moonroof :wink:

As for the poster claiming maintenance is more compared to a civic: they are exactly the same. I do all my own oil changes, brakes jobs etc, and the oil and filters are all compatible with the rest of the family Honda fleet. Maintenance is not an issue, I just won't make my 16 year old face the dealer.

tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 am

sunny_socal wrote:...
Plenty of room for friends.

IMO, and from my personal experience with our kids and their friends years ago, the BEST thing you can do for a young driver is to prohibit them from having ANYONE except family in the car for as long as possible after they get their license. Absolutely nothing good comes from a group of kids in a car with an inexperienced driver at the helm. This issue is infinitely more important than what kind of car they drive. Can't stress it enough.
My work in retirement must be retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am

livesoft wrote:Of course, I wonder why a 16-year old needs their own vehicle at all.

Your kids never had jobs?

tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am

HomerJ wrote:
livesoft wrote:Of course, I wonder why a 16-year old needs their own vehicle at all.

Maybe they walked, like my father always said he did right after he was born, down to the stream to wash off. And then to school and to his after school job.

Those were cruel times.
My work in retirement must be retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 am

Another vote for #2. I did the same thing with my 2007 FJ Cruiser. Son now has it while attending Clemson and it is going strong.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:33 am

Does the 2007 Pilot have electronic stability control? From what I have read, this is supposed to make a statistically significant difference in safety. Otherwise, it seems like a perfectly reasonable car for your son.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am

tdhg566 wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Maybe they walked, like my father always said he did right after he was born, down to the stream to wash off. And then to school and to his after school job.

Those were cruel times.

I didn't have my own car when I was 16 but I want my kids to start driving ASAP. Our school is only a few miles away but that's far enough that walking is not a real option. My wife is already frazzled with the amount of driving she must do between pick ups, helping out at the school, piano lessons, soccer practice, games, school events... plus all her own activities.

Yes, this Pilot has ESC, ABS and front/side/passenger airbags. I'm not a big fan of all the new computerized safety features anyway, the driver is the most important component.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

sunny_socal wrote:...- Lots of seats, it's a 3-row. Plenty of room for friends...

As mentioned above, this would be a reason NOT to have your son drive the Pilot:

"Let's race Bobby to the next stop sign! What? No? What kind of wuss are you?"

I know that many states have "Graduated Driver License" programs (here's a link to the Texas GDL program) which limit the number of non-family member passengers under the age of 21. However, this rule is often not followed.

A couple of months ago in my area, two 16-year-old girls were killed and a third severely injured when the vehicle they were driving/riding in blew through a stop sign while racing a car full of boys, crashed into a tree and burst into flames :(

I know, call me Debbie Downer.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

HomerJ wrote:

Of course my kids had jobs. But they didn't need their own vehicle to get to their jobs.

Fox

Post by Fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

I also think less seats is better! They won't be asked to drive as often since there is less room, and there will be less people in the car for distractions.

I would probably look for a low-ish mileage ~2005 Buick Lesabre if any of my kids was in need today. Comfy ride, not fast, fairly good MPG, adequate inside space, not cool or fun in any way, etc...

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

Raymond wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:...- Lots of seats, it's a 3-row. Plenty of room for friends...

As mentioned above, this would be a reason NOT to have your son drive the Pilot:

"Let's race Bobby to the next stop sign! What? No? What kind of wuss are you?"

I know that many states have "Graduated Driver License" programs (here's a link to the Texas GDL program) which limit the number of non-family member passengers under the age of 21. However, this rule is often not followed.

A couple of months ago in my area, two 16-year-old girls were killed and a third severely injured when the vehicle they were driving/riding in blew through a stop sign while racing a car full of boys, crashed into a tree and burst into flames :(

I know, call me Debbie Downer.

Oh for goodness sake. You can cram 4 or 5 teenagers into almost any car on the road. I've seen 6 of them crammed into a Honda Fit. Not comfortable, but they were somehow miraculously in there. You can't protect your children from everything, particularly their own stupidity, 100% of the time. You educate, you set a good example, and you hope for the best. The Honda Pilot is a safe, reliable car. It's not a Hummer. It's a normal-sized car by today's standards. (And, btw, if your kid wants to make out with his girlfriend, he's gonna make out with his girlfriend. They're just as likely to do it in a subcompact as in a mid-sized SUV. Don't ask me how I know.)

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:56 pm

A Pilot is a rather large vehicle, but the situation is perfect for you.

I have done the same thing three times... One of the kids turn 16, I give them my old car, and get a new one for myself.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:59 pm

livesoft wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Of course my kids had jobs. But they didn't need their own vehicle to get to their jobs.

But I assume you can imagine a situation where other kids might not be able to walk to their jobs, or have their parents take them and pick them up, right?

Because you wondered why a generic 16-year old would need a vehicle. I was trying to broaden your perspective so you might be able to imagine why a 16-year might need their own vehicle. :)
Last edited by HomerJ on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Option 2

Both my teens learned to drive in a 2006 Pilot. My daughter still uses it. Rather large and bulky and a challenge to parallel park but if they can master a large vehicle they can handle just about any. My son's Sonata is a go-cart compared to that Pilot.

To answer Livesofts comment on why a 16 year old would need a car; well in my case my daughter had a zero period at school starting at 6:50. She drives herself every morning rather than requiring any parental involvement.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:23 pm

HomerJ wrote:
livesoft wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

But I assume you can imagine a situation where other kids might not be able to walk to their jobs, or have their parents take them and pick them up, right?

Because you wondered why a generic 16-year old would need a vehicle. Sorry if I was too sarcastic for you. :)

I was trying to broaden your perspective so you might be able to imagine why a 16-year might need their own vehicle.

My kids drove themselves places all the time including to school and to work, but they usually dropped off a parent someplace else first. For instance, my spouse goes to work early, so she would get dropped off at 6 am by daughter before school started and child would be at school by 6:30 am. If my son missed the bus to school, then he walked or bummed a ride from his friends.

If you were sarcastic, I didn't notice. :) I did use "own vehicle" and not "a vehicle."

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 pm

If it were my shoes, I would keep the Pilot for your son. I would however limit his ability to haul friends around. As someone else mentioned above, nothing good for him or you can come from your son hauling friends around.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:15 pm

In terms of finance and convenience, it makes sense to keep the Pilot for the young driver. I'm not keen on young drivers behind the wheel of such large vehicles, though. They give drivers a sense of invincibility, which is already too pronounced at that age. And, yes, having three rows of seats is a bad idea for teenagers.

If it were my shoes, I would keep the Pilot for your son. I would however limit his ability to haul friends around. As someone else mentioned above, nothing good for him or you can come from your son hauling friends around.

As much as this is possible and verifiable, I agree. I believe there are even dashcams that show the interior of the car, and could be used to check up that Junior is not hauling around a small platoon of kids.

Oh for goodness sake. You can cram 4 or 5 teenagers into almost any car on the road. I've seen 6 of them crammed into a Honda Fit.

If they can squeeze 6 into a Fit, imagine how many they could cram into a Pilot. :shock:

The Honda Pilot is a safe, reliable car. It's not a Hummer. It's a normal-sized car by today's standards.

Unfortunately, you're not too far off the mark. I am forever behind SUVs blocking my view of the road. I drive a normal sedan and feel like MG drivers did in the 70s.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm

lthenderson wrote:If it were my shoes, I would keep the Pilot for your son. I would however limit his ability to haul friends around. As someone else mentioned above, nothing good for him or you can come from your son hauling friends around.

That's not how (my) teenagers worked. They generally do exactly what you tell them not to do. And they were pretty good kids. YMMV.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:04 pm

deanbrew wrote:I believe there are even dashcams that show the interior of the car, and could be used to check up that Junior is not hauling around a small platoon of kids.

Devices exist to let you track and even control your teen's driving habits. See http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm.

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:52 pm

1) Kids will pack into any car on the road. That said, you don't have to make it easy for them with a third-row seat. And yeah, probably taking all of the seats out and leaving that huge open space in the back is probably also asking for trouble...but at the same time, that kind of trouble can be found just about anywhere.

2) One of the best things my dad ever did in terms of teaching me to drive was making me learn on his early-2000s GMC Sierra, with a standard bed and extended cab. Anything else seems ridiculously maneuverable. I wouldn't worry about it being "too much car"...though I maybe had a little too much fun with my first sedan after that experience. :)

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:17 pm

All 3 are good reasonable choices. You won't save much switching to Accord and buying and selling a car will probably mean it will cost you in the end. The 2007 Pilot is the perfect size for a 3 row SUV. Wish they could keep the size and make it cavernous like the Fit on the inside. Newer Pilots got bigger on both inside and outside.

Wife is using opportunity to get new car. Ideal car for teen is probably NOT the Pilot, but you've got inertia with it, and it's not a bad choice. Option 3 is probably the best choice, but will likely lead to option 4, which is option 3 plus sell Pilot and buy new expensive car, so you might wind up with 3 transactions!

Keep the Pilot! It's a great extra car for carrying people and things, and costs are minimal.

Pilot has VSC, which IMO is the last safety addition that's on my must have list (need not be said, but airbags and safety belts are mandatory IMO). Are there other must haves for a teen on the safety front? Automatic braking is beginning to make it on my must have list, but that's on a new car, and most used cars are unlike to have it.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

NYC_Guy wrote:
lthenderson wrote:If it were my shoes, I would keep the Pilot for your son. I would however limit his ability to haul friends around. As someone else mentioned above, nothing good for him or you can come from your son hauling friends around.

That's not how (my) teenagers worked. They generally do exactly what you tell them not to do. And they were pretty good kids. YMMV.

Not how it worked when I was a teenager either, fortunately. I doubt it would have ever occurred to my parents to try to tell me how many passengers I could drive in my car, in the first place. Really glad I grew up before the age of helicopter parenting.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 pm

flyingbison wrote:
NYC_Guy wrote:

Not how it worked when I was a teenager either, fortunately. I doubt it would have ever occurred to my parents to try to tell me how many passengers I could drive in my car, in the first place. Really glad I grew up before the age of helicopter parenting.

Young inexperienced drivers have a higher accident rate. When they have passengers (i.e. teen passengers), they're more likely to get distracted. In some states, minors receive provisional licenses that have limits on hours and disallowing passengers.

"Once you have your provisional DL, you may drive alone, as long as you do not have any collisions or traffic violations on your driving record.
During the first 12 months after you are licensed, you cannot drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. and you cannot transport passengers under 20 years old, unless you are accompanied by a California licensed parent or guardian, a California licensed driver 25 years old or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... dbk/minors

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 pm

inbox788 wrote:
flyingbison wrote:
NYC_Guy wrote:

Young inexperienced drivers have a higher accident rate. When they have passengers (i.e. teen passengers), they're more likely to get distracted. In some states, minors receive provisional licenses that have limits on hours and disallowing passengers.

"Once you have your provisional DL, you may drive alone, as long as you do not have any collisions or traffic violations on your driving record.
During the first 12 months after you are licensed, you cannot drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. and you cannot transport passengers under 20 years old, unless you are accompanied by a California licensed parent or guardian, a California licensed driver 25 years old or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... dbk/minors

Yes. And teenagers particularly like breaking rules and laws. It's hardwired into their brains.

rallycobra

Post by rallycobra » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:46 pm

campy2010 wrote:Keep Pilot. But if I were a parent, I would take out 3rd row of seats or, if the son is trustworthy, strictly limit number of people allowed in the car.

+1
26% Total Stock Market/20% Total International/13% Small Cap Value/6% Reit/35% Intermediate Bond Fund | 65/35 Stock Bond 2:1 Domestic/International + Reit

Placenshow

Post by Placenshow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 pm

My 16 yr old daughter just completed the Tire Rack Street Survival driving school and they stressed multiple times the worst type of car for a brand new driver is a SUV....it is just too big and too much vehicle for a new driver. They recommended mid-size sedans as your best option.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

It would be good to get a quote to see show much the car insurance and your umbrella policy will cost if he is driving the Pilot and how that would compare to a more reasonable vehicle.

When we had a teenage driver not only was the car insurance expensive but the cost of our umbrella policy went up a lot too so you also need to look at that.

Even ignoring all the other issues it could be cost effective to get him a different car just to save on insurance.

bzargarcia

Post by bzargarcia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:34 pm

My wife has a 2014 Pilot and my 15 year old daughter is just got her learners permit. She hates driving Momma's car. She says its too big and she can't see due to many blind spots. If I were in your shoes, I'd get Mom he vehicle she wanted and trade in the Pilot. I'd shoot for a compact 2010 or newer for your son.

Bart
Bart Garcia

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Hmmm?...a (presumably) paid for, reliable car that your wife doesn't want to drive anymore?

I hope your wife enjoys her new (used) car and the kid appreciates getting a nice vehicle handed to him.

Too much overthinking on this thread. :beer

chrisam314

Post by chrisam314 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 pm

I vote 2.

A couple things: the reckless driving has nothing to do with the car(for the most part, I will concede sports cars are not a good influence) and everything to do with the driver. In HS I was a boring driver, still am. My cousin has totaled 2 cars. Knowing him his whole life I am not surprised. Neither were SUV's or sports cars, just normal sedans.

Also, I started driving a highlander in my early 20's. Prior to that sedans. From age 18 (off to college) to 30 I moved every year or 2. The highlander is a huge help. My cousin is now in college and moves yearly and drives a CRV, same thing. Assuming your children are not home bodies they will likely move for school /career reasons. SUV's really help a lot. If you were talking about an Escalade or an Expedition I would probably say thats too big, but a midsize SUV seems reasonable to me.

You either take the hand-me-down car or pay for it yourself is a good system. Its worked well for our family.

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:12 am

I've vote for 2. You already have a known, dependable car that you can keep in the household. Though I would check with your insurance provider on prospective rates. Don't forget to ask for good student discount if your teen qualifies.

I was a teenage driver once myself on my parents insurance. There's some oddities in how insurance companies rate risk, but generally from experience the larger the car, the cheaper it was to insure the teen driver. --I guess while property damage is potentially higher, medical may be lower...though I was in a No-Fault state. :? So in your case it may be lower cost in the end to keep the Pilot.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:54 am

Going through this now with my oldest son. Do your self a favor and call your insurance provider and ask them which vehicle will be cheaper for insurance to put your son on. There were HUGE difference when putting my son on various vehicles.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:25 pm

We did this last Fall when my teen got his license and it has been working out very well so far. He drives our 2004 Honda Pilot and we bought a new car for ourselves.