Car collision repair advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

Car collision repair advice

Post by sksbog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Fellow Bogleheads,

Today when I was about to take my kid to daycare, I or Kid forgot to shut the car door and I backed up in garage. The door is damaged and is not closing. Having said that, last year i had a major claim (car totaled, my fault) and my insurance company has jacked up premiums quite a bit.
I tried to switch, but other insurance co. refused to take.
By looking at the damage, it seems to be in range of $1500-2500.
I can tie the door, which is not closing, and take it to body shop to get estimates.

1. Please advise whether I should go through the insurance or not. Financially, I am in a position to absorb the cost myself.
2. Often, body shops have discounted rate for insurance companies and separate rates non-insurance customers(Just like healthcare). How do I get discount from the body shop?

Thanks

CorradoJr

Re: Car collision repair advice

Post by CorradoJr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:55 pm

We need more details:

What make/model/year of the car?

fire5soon

Post by fire5soon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Third option: Depending on the popularity of your car and if the damage is isolated to the door itself, you could find a door from a junkyard and replace yourself. If you're lucky the color will match or, if not, you're only paying for a door to be repainted (if you care).

This way the insurance company isn't involved, the part is relatively cheap, and it's not very difficult to fix.

Good luck.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:20 pm

How much are your deductibles? I'm guessing this would be covered under "comprehensive" coverage and not "collision", and the deductible will be lower.

I don't know the shops or business climate where you live, but in many trades, you can negotiate a discount by paying cash and not making the shop have to deal with the insurance company.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:47 pm

I have also found that body shops will offer you a lower, cash price if you aren't filing an insurance claim. I believe they actually inflate the insurance prices. I've even had one shop offer to repair items not damaged in the wreck and charge the insurance company for them. (Don't agree to that, btw; it's stealing.)

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:17 pm

CorradoJr wrote:We need more details:

What make/model/year of the car?
Honda Accord - Sport

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 pm

tim1999 wrote:How much are your deductibles? I'm guessing this would be covered under "comprehensive" coverage and not "collision", and the deductible will be lower.

I don't know the shops or business climate where you live, but in many trades, you can negotiate a discount by paying cash and not making the shop have to deal with the insurance company.
$1000

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:28 pm

sksbog wrote:last year i had a major claim (car totaled, my fault) and my insurance company has jacked up premiums quite a bit.
I tried to switch, but other insurance co. refused to take.
Financially, I am in a position to absorb the cost myself.
Why would you even consider turning this claim into your insurance company? What would you gain?

Your deductible is $1000, so it would cost you an additional $500 - $1500 to take care of this yourself (which you can afford).
If you submit a claim, your insurance could very well drop you, and you could be unable to find coverage elsewhere.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.