Ordering a Weber grill this week

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Swansea

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Swansea »

I had purchased a Weber cover for my Genesis. It did not last very long, so I no longer bother with a cover.
I'm interested in buying a new Genesis this spring. I read where they are now no longer manufactured in the U.S., but in China. The upscale Genesis, think it's the Lx model or something, still made in the states.
Has anyone bought a Genesis made in China, and if so, are you happy with the performance and construction of the model?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Swansea wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm I had purchased a Weber cover for my Genesis. It did not last very long, so I no longer bother with a cover.
I'm interested in buying a new Genesis this spring. I read where they are now no longer manufactured in the U.S., but in China. The upscale Genesis, think it's the Lx model or something, still made in the states.
Has anyone bought a Genesis made in China, and if so, are you happy with the performance and construction of the model?
I can't answer your question about the grills made in China. For whatever it's worth I can give you some information on grill covers. My Weber cover didn't last long either, especially once I moved to a hot climate. Fortunately I found the Classic Accessories line of covers and I now have one for my grill as well as for a number of pieces of our patio furniture. They are very well constructed and reasonably priced. The trick with a grill is measuring to make sure you get the right size. Here's a link to their grill covers.....

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessor ... cover&th=1
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

I have a stainless 330 and it is tied for my favorite cooking appliance with my pressure cooker. I bought the natural gas version and converted it to propane by just filling the Jets with jbweld and redrilling them to the proper size. Menards even had the correct numbered bit. Works perfect. If I go back to NG I'll just knock out the jbweld and we're good to go again. Don't regret a penny I spent on the Weber. :beer
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 am ^ I've had my Weber for 15 years without a cover. I believe the cover can do more to harm the grill than help it by trapping-in moisture - I too believe you are better off without one.
curious if you get a lot of snow where you live and if tthat would make a differernce whether a cover makes sense or not.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

bikechuck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 am ^ I've had my Weber for 15 years without a cover. I believe the cover can do more to harm the grill than help it by trapping-in moisture - I too believe you are better off without one.
curious if you get a lot of snow where you live and if tthat would make a differernce whether a cover makes sense or not.
Lots of snow - yes. It has not hurt the longevity in my experience. Sometimes it is perhaps harder to use if it snows with some melt/refreezing as the knobs are sometimes frozen in place - I can usually chip the ice away to get things working. You might not be one for grilling in 20 - 30 degree temperatures but I sometimes do :) If you do - it might be easier to clear the snow and ice off with a cover on.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Given the mixed things I've read on grill covers (trapping moisture could do more damage than it being uncovered) I only cover my grill for the winter to keep the snow off it. Not covering it in the summer is part laziness as you have to remember to throw the cover on after the grill cools down enough.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I order $20 grill covers. They last maybe a year or so usually, same as the expensive grill covers...

JT
rutrow2015

Post by rutrow2015 »

My Weber Genesis will celebrate it's 21st anniversary this summer. I'm on my 7th or 8th cover. I've not replaced anything on the grill itself. I never put the cover on a hot or wet grill. I agree that letting it sit in the rain is better than putting a cover on a wet grill.

I also have a no name grill that will be 9 years old this summer and it's always been under a covered porch. I've replaced everything except the burner tubes.

If I ever buy another grill, it will be a genesis.
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:39 pm
bikechuck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm
Lots of snow - yes. It has not hurt the longevity in my experience. Sometimes it is perhaps harder to use if it snows with some melt/refreezing as the knobs are sometimes frozen in place - I can usually chip the ice away to get things working. You might not be one for grilling in 20 - 30 degree temperatures but I sometimes do :) If you do - it might be easier to clear the snow and ice off with a cover on.
I've tried to keep a cover on mine just to keep it cleaner, but here in MN I've only had them last maybe 1-2 years tops. In the winter they all get brittle and inevitably you will tear it taking it off when it's cold out or it's covered in snow/ice. Even the expensive covers do that (had one) so now I just find an el cheapo at Menards or Amazon.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

rutrow2015 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 pm My Weber Genesis will celebrate it's 21st anniversary this summer. I'm on my 7th or 8th cover. I've not replaced anything on the grill itself. I never put the cover on a hot or wet grill. I agree that letting it sit in the rain is better than putting a cover on a wet grill.

I also have a no name grill that will be 9 years old this summer and it's always been under a covered porch. I've replaced everything except the burner tubes.

If I ever buy another grill, it will be a genesis.
21 years and no replacement parts is fantastic. What kind of use does it see?
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I had a great Weber grill I bought in 1994 and it lasted 20 years. Then I bought a replacement Weber grill, my last.

The old one was tough and mighty. The new one is designed to look tough and mighty, but is weak and fragile. When I opened the box, the side of the lid—seemingly a sheet of cast metal—had a gigantic crack. Once I assembled it (with a replacement part), I wheeled it across my wooden deck, and one of the wheels popped right off and gouged a hole in the deck. Upon closer inspection, the wheels are designed only to **look** sturdy and tough, but are held on by tiny little spot welds that shear easily. Another wheel came off a few weeks later. Now I have to prop the damnable thing up on bricks and it's a nightmare when I move it even a couple of feet as it requires 2 people to re-set the bricks, at risk of smashing fingers.

Does anyone know a grill manufacturer that still makes quality products?

Marylander1
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Marylander1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 pm
Does anyone know a grill manufacturer that still makes quality products?
Check out amazingribs.com. They rate lots of grills.

Weber still makes good stuff, but after 2012 or 2013, you need to spend close to $2,000 to get a well-built Weber gas grill.

Thankfully, I got mine before they came out with the latest models.

JT
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I bought a Genesis e-310 in 2008. I've replaced the igniter twice, other than than no issues.
I can see now the the flavorer bars will need replacement.
I've read that the Genesis grills without the doors are now made in China.
I have not used a cover in years. The weber cover did not last long.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Was talking to my son last weekend about Weber's. His less then 10 year old Weber has 2 of it's legs rusted through, completely. My Skyline is 20+ and has nothing wrong with it. His has an enclosed base, mine doesn't. I've covered mine for 20+ years, he never has. We suspect the enclosed bottom may be the cause of the rusted legs, they rusted out in that location.

If I ever need another it'll have an open bottom, if they still make them.

FWIW, I've covered mine with a short cover, it just covers the grill, not the legs. Of course they no longer sell such a thing, now they all go to the ground. We're in New England, we get a good deal of rain and humidity. I suspect it's not an issue where it's dry.

I agree the new Webers can't hold a candle to the old ones, I looked them over a couple times in the last few years and was not impressed. Unfortunately Webers are still regarded as the best, meaning there are none better. I did not look at the top of the line models, $2k+ is a bit more then I care to spend on a grill, maybe if I had a covered place for it so I;d never have to buy another.
Regards | Bob
VINNY

Post by VINNY »

I've owned several Weber Grills over the past 15 years and I currently have a Genesis 300. I personally think they are over rated. I've had to replace the grates and flavorizer bars a few times. I clean it often but still get flares up when I try to sear my meat. When the grill was new, it was a joy to cook on.

I have recently discovered griddle top cooking while visiting my family in Florida. As a result, I ordered a Weber Griddle top for my grill and I LOVE cooking on this.

If your looking to replace your grill. take a look at the Blackstone and Camp Chef Griddle tops. The next time I replace my grill I will probably go with the Camp Chef since it has the option of a natural gas connection. The steaks cook faster with a nice sear and no flare ups. In addition, clean up is a breeze! Pour some water on the hot griddle and wipe with a towel.