Ordering a Weber grill this week

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Luke Duke wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
Blueskies123 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.

Huh? I suspect you had a really cheap grill. You will not have this problem with a Weber?

The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.

Just because it was expensive doesn't mean that it wasn't cheap. :mrgreen:

True. Also assuming something you've never seen must be cheap because it isn't a Weber and doesn't support your argument doesn't make your argument correct either. I'm merely saying that putting a cover on a grill outside, regardless of it's worth, probably hastens its demise... in my experience. :sharebeer

From what I can tell, it depends.

Do you live in a salty climate? That will make things worse.

Was the cover crappy quality? Cheap covers that are bad quality and/or not well-fitting to the grill can let rain in and then trap the moisture. A quality cover shouldn't (dare I say won't) do that.

I would however say something is amiss with a quality stainless steel grill rusting out in 2 years. Cover or not, that makes no sense.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:52 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:Weber, themselves, probably don't want to tell you NOT to buy a cover on their main website since they charge $80 for them but on their blog they actually do state they aren't necessary whenever they are directly asked.

Do you have a source for this?

Also curious as to the effects of the sun on the grill. Mine will be on my back south-facing patio which gets absolutely BEAT to death by the sun all summer. Wondering what the effect will be with and without the cover.
Last edited by guitarguy on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:01 pm

guitarguy wrote:From what I can tell, it depends.

Was the cover crappy quality? Cheap covers that are bad quality and/or not well-fitting to the grill can let rain in and then trap the moisture. A quality cover shouldn't (dare I say won't) do that.

I would however say something is amiss with a quality stainless steel grill rusting out in 2 years. Cover or not, that makes no sense.

Add to that "Do you live in a humid area?" and "Do you leave it in the shade?" and I am in 100% agreement.

My E-330 is five years old. I use the cover religiously. The grill looks good as new.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

guitarguy wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:Weber, themselves, probably don't want to tell you NOT to buy a cover on their main website since they charge $80 for them but on their blog they actually do state they aren't necessary whenever they are directly asked.

Also curious as to the effects of the sun on the grill. Mine will be on my back south-facing patio which gets absolutely BEAT to death by the sun all summer. Wondering what the effect will be with and without the cover.

Go to their blog where maintenance is discussed.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

I live in the humid Midwest and it was a good quality cover that was waterproof. For reference, the grill sits under a deep overhang so only gets wind blown moisture. The lower part of the grill exposed to the elements held up just fine. The part under the cover is what rusted. I could go remove the cover on a hot summer day with no rain in over a week and the upper part of the grill would be covered in moisture. I agree that had it been a better quality stainless steel, that shouldn't have made a difference but since I bought my cheap non-stainless steel grill to replace it and haven't put a cover on it, I've found that it never has any moisture on it and any wind blown moisture quickly dries off. It also shows no signs of rusting thus far. I'm all for having a nice grill like a Weber but I wouldn't chance moisture due to condensation inside a cover finding its way into a crack in the finish coating and prematurely rusting it out.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
guitarguy wrote:

Go to their blog where maintenance is discussed.

So far on the blog I've seen "a cover helps keep the grill nice in winter" and it shows the cover as a must have accessory. Nothing that I can find says don't cover it...

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:12 pm

lthenderson wrote:

I live in the humid Midwest and it was a good quality cover that was waterproof. For reference, the grill sits under a deep overhang so only gets wind blown moisture. The lower part of the grill exposed to the elements held up just fine. The part under the cover is what rusted. I could go remove the cover on a hot summer day with no rain in over a week and the upper part of the grill would be covered in moisture. I agree that had it been a better quality stainless steel, that shouldn't have made a difference but since I bought my cheap non-stainless steel grill to replace it and haven't put a cover on it, I've found that it never has any moisture on it and any wind blown moisture quickly dries off. It also shows no signs of rusting thus far. I'm all for having a nice grill like a Weber but I wouldn't chance moisture due to condensation inside a cover finding its way into a crack in the finish coating and prematurely rusting it out.

Was it on a deck? Did the cover have vents?

Somehow or anorher for your application (in the shade, humid area, etc) moisture was getting trapped. Certainly can't say that would be the case for all applications though.

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Anecdotal reply but I used a cover for the first 15 years then got tired of replacing them due to wind/weather damage. Having said that, the last cover I bought is still functional and better quality than all previous ones. Purchased on Amazon (Texas Grill covers) but it's sitting in my garage as I have now chosen to not cover my Weber. The grill gets messier but I have not noticed any weather deterioration so I'm planning to continue using it uncovered. Speeds things along too now that when done cooking I close it up and don't have to wait for the grill to cool to recover. Nice feature when it's cold outside. :beer

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 pm

guitarguy wrote:Was it on a deck? Did the cover have vents?

Somehow or anorher for your application (in the shade, humid area, etc) moisture was getting trapped. Certainly can't say that would be the case for all applications though.

It was on a deck and the cover didn't have vents, other than the hole that slipped over the top of the grill. The rusted out expensive grill had two large tables on either side that held the cover 18 or so inches away from the center base so there was plenty of open area on either side of the grill for ventilation, or so I would have though. I most definitely agree it was something to do with the application and I wouldn't claim everyone would experience the same results. I'm just tossing it out there as words of caution and I repeat, it has nothing to do about the quality of Weber grills.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:28 pm

lthenderson wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Was it on a deck? Did the cover have vents?

It was on a deck and the cover didn't have vents, other than the hole that slipped over the top of the grill. The rusted out expensive grill had two large tables on either side that held the cover 18 or so inches away from the center base so there was plenty of open area on either side of the grill for ventilation, or so I would have though. I most definitely agree it was something to do with the application and I wouldn't claim everyone would experience the same results. I'm just tossing it out there as words of caution and I repeat, it has nothing to do about the quality of Weber grills.

I think we're on the same page. Your application (shade/overhang, humid area, deck below, ventless cover) sounds like a perfect scenario to trap moisture.

I'm still on the fence about religiously using the cover I ordered with this grill. But I think it's important to note that cover/no cover is highly dependent on the application.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:39 pm

I have a retail store that sells BBQ grills. The main everyday brand I carry is Weber.

If you can find a 330 I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I cannot stress this enough. Even better is if you can find the Premium version (EP-3XX). The premium version has stainless burner covers and cooking grates. The warranty on the premium version is a bit better as well. The new Genesis II are nice grills, but they don't feel as sturdy. If you can find the Premium version of the Genesis II (It's 4 burners only), it would warrant a look.

On the 330, the side burner is a necessary evil to get the sear burner. Most of my customers tell me they thought the sear burner was something that was a bit novelty, but that they use it all the time.

As for warranty comparison (and it will vary some based on model, but for the most part it's the same across the entire line) They've increased the warranty on the ignition system and burner covers, no change to burners and cooking grates and reduced the lid/head warranty by 15 years. Covers now come with a 3 year warranty. The 10 year ignition warranty is a nice selling point, but a new ignitor kit for the older Genesis are around $20-30 bucks. Not a big game changer in my book.Remember that most major credit cards will extend warranties on items under 5 years by an additional year- I've used it on my grill cover with no problem.

The Bluetooth thermometer Weber sells is nice, but they make one that is designed for all grills. It's the iGrill 2. The iGrill3 is made to fit in a bracket on the new Genesis II.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:43 pm

I have the old E-310 I believe. It has the closed cabinet and no side-burner which was my preference. When I purchased it both the side-burner and no side-burner models had a closed cabinet. I wouldn't like the looks of a nice grill with an exposed tank. The cabinet also gives me a place to lay my grill brush, etc. out-of-sight. So if it were me, I'd go with the side-burner model just to get the closed cabinet.

I've never used a sear burner so can't speak to the usefulness of that.

Weber grills are great. I've owned them for years. My only knock on them is that conversion kits are no longer available. I moved from a house with propane to one with natural gas and, unfortunately, I can't convert my Weber. I now have the inconvenience of filling propane bottles and the darn grill will probably last another 10 years. :oops:
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:51 pm

lthenderson wrote:
The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.

What part of grill rusted? Stainless steel, unless its an alloy with a very low nickel/chrome content (like stainless knifes), doesn't rust much; if a at all. Thats why its called "stainless"

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 pm

guitarguy wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.

How much "basic maintenance" is required? I have always bought cheaper grills (around $300) and they seem to last 3 or so years. I know people say they can keep a Weber for 15 years, but if it involves spending $100s on new grates, burners, etc. every few years I wonder if it is really worth it. Does anyone have a breakdown of costs they've incurred overtime for a Genesis? My grill is on the way out and considering what to get next.

I'd be interested in this as well. Although the burners have a 10 year warranty so I doubt they're getting replaced frequently.

I'm coming on having my E-330 for 6 years and I've had to replace nothing. I suspect that the other posters replaced things because it didn't look pretty anymore (not judging, I understand the impulse!). My grates don't look like stainless steel anymore, but any rust on them is surface only and can be wiped off with a paper towel. This is not the type of rust that invades your 3 year old Char Broil.

So, I'd say little to now maintenance for 10 years if I had to guess.

JT

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:10 pm

bbqguru wrote:I have a retail store that sells BBQ grills. The main everyday brand I carry is Weber.

If you can find a 330 I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I cannot stress this enough. Even better is if you can find the Premium version (EP-3XX). The premium version has stainless burner covers and cooking grates. The warranty on the premium version is a bit better as well. The new Genesis II are nice grills, but they don't feel as sturdy. If you can find the Premium version of the Genesis II (It's 4 burners only), it would warrant a look.

On the 330, the side burner is a necessary evil to get the sear burner. Most of my customers tell me they thought the sear burner was something that was a bit novelty, but that they use it all the time.

As for warranty comparison (and it will vary some based on model, but for the most part it's the same across the entire line) They've increased the warranty on the ignition system and burner covers, no change to burners and cooking grates and reduced the lid/head warranty by 15 years. Covers now come with a 3 year warranty. The 10 year ignition warranty is a nice selling point, but a new ignitor kit for the older Genesis are around $20-30 bucks. Not a big game changer in my book.Remember that most major credit cards will extend warranties on items under 5 years by an additional year- I've used it on my grill cover with no problem.

The Bluetooth thermometer Weber sells is nice, but they make one that is designed for all grills. It's the iGrill 2. The iGrill3 is made to fit in a bracket on the new Genesis II.

Great info! Thanks! With a name like "bbqguru" I'd expect nothing less!

I bought an E-330 today.

What do you have to say about grill covers, in general and the one Weber makes for their Genesis grills? I ordered one with my purchase but all the talk here has me looking further into whether using it is a good idea.

FWIW my grill will get BEAT on by the sun on a south-facing shadeless stamped concrete patio.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Grill Covers: I've had great luck with this line
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4 ... UTF8&psc=1

First one was in like-new condition for 4 years, before dog tore it up!

I use it during wintertime/storms/long vacations. Otherwise I leave it off for spring/summer/fall.

My 4 year old Weber Summit 670 is like new.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:17 pm

guitarguy wrote:I bought an E-330 today.

What do you have to say about grill covers, in general and the one Weber makes for their Genesis grills? I ordered one with my purchase but all the talk here has me looking further into whether using it is a good idea.

FWIW my grill will get BEAT on by the sun on a south-facing shadeless stamped concrete patio.

My "not bbqguru" response:

In my experience, sun on the grill is not a problem. Get the cover if you want to keep the grill it clean all the time. But don't spend the extra money on a Weber cover unless you just want to. I've found that some of the cheaper covers can be the sturdiest, but I've given up on them all for convenience.

JT

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 pm

arsenalfan wrote:Grill Covers: I've had great luck with this line
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4 ... UTF8&psc=1

First one was in like-new condition for 4 years, before dog tore it up!

I use it during wintertime/storms/long vacations. Otherwise I leave it off for spring/summer/fall.

My 4 year old Weber Summit 670 is like new.

I got one of those covers several months ago to replace a different brand of cover which began coming apart after a year or so.

So far I love this one. I cover mine approximately under the same conditions that you do. I also cover it when I'm cutting grass to keep cuttings off the grill. The grill is on an uncovered patio which catches a lot of sun in the morning and early afternoon.

Edit: Mine is actually this one, which looks very similar to the one above:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S13D3DO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:35 pm

When I lived in a wet climate I always covered my Weber but made sure it was dry before doing so. In that climate my original Weber cover lasted as long as the grill (usually about 7 years). As soon as I moved to a hot and dry climate the same (relatively new) cover fell apart within a couple of months. I changed to a very affordable cover from Amazon (see link below) and it's going strong after three years. I now own this brand of covers for many outdoor items (tables, chairs, grill, etc). Can't say enough good about them for the price.

Various sizes are available be sure to check your grill measurements....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HCNEWM/re ... UTF8&psc=1
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:12 pm

jharkin wrote:
lthenderson wrote:

What part of grill rusted? Stainless steel, unless its an alloy with a very low nickel/chrome content (like stainless knifes), doesn't rust much; if a at all. Thats why its called "stainless"

Stainless steel is rust resistant but certainly not rust proof. Like you were alluding too, not all stainless steel is equal. In my former life we built machines out of 316 stainless which contains molybdenum which drastically enhances rust resistant properties. However, it is quite a bit more expensive than 304 stainless which is what is found in most products like this. Combine that with high heat and in my case, moisture from the condensation inside the cover and it was just a recipe from disaster. The bottom of the burner box that the lid and all the burner tubes, racks, etc. attach too is what rusted out. I didn't notice it until I went to turn on the gas and saw the inside of the cabinet was full of rusty metal chunks and I could see daylight coming through. I looked at replacing the box but the manufacturer only sold the assembly and at a price tag of $500. At that point I cut my losses and bought the cheap grill that has no stainless of any kind and I haven't covered it. I should note that my previous grill was a cheapo non-stainless model that I never covered that lasted for 15 years. When it fell apart, I wanted to splurge on a nice stainless steel "forever" grill and naturally wanted to cover it to protect my investment. That turned out to be a huge mistake on my part.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:I changed to a very affordable cover from Amazon (see link below) and it's going strong after three years. I now own this brand of covers for many outdoor items (tables, chairs, grill, etc). Can't say enough good about them for the price.

Various sizes are available be sure to check your grill measurements....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HCNEWM/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Although I have a black Weber grill cover, I did likewise and got a variety of different sizes of those beige covers for patio furniture including two sizes of chairs, a patio table and a patio bar. They are well made.

Plus, my dear GF would have killed me if I covered everything with a blue tarp. :shock:

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:24 pm

guitarguy wrote:

I bought an E-330 today.

The Weber cover that comes in the rectangle cardboard box is a decent cover. The new cover that comes in a canvas-like bag is a good cover. 3 year warranty. If it gives you any fits call Weber and they'll send another. As for if you need a cover, I usually tell my customers it is a preference.

The paint is enameled on the steel so fading and cracking won't be an issue with the finish. Covers allow for animals to make homes in the grill during the winter and retains moisture. However, good covers have vents, and if you've got a good grill that is enjoyable to use, you'll use it more. I don't have one on my main gas grill and it sits on a south facing uncovered patio-- my father keeps one on his religiously. If the cover is already on the way, I'd use it.

Ultimately, no cover will keep your grill going for many years if you don't keep it clean. Burn everything off after each use and once a year take it all apart and give it a good cleaning with oven cleaner.

On another note, new 20# bottles have an excess flow built into the valve. If you go to use your grill and it won't get above 3-350, you've most likely activated the excess flow. Turn everything off, wait a couple of minutes and restart the grill. The best thing to do is slowly turn on one burner and light it. Then repeat with the others. Also, when using the sear burner, turn the furthest right hand burner on low or off until done. You'll get more heat on the sear zone.

Happy grilling.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm

bbqguru wrote:
guitarguy wrote:

I bought an E-330 today.

The Weber cover that comes in the rectangle cardboard box is a decent cover. The new cover that comes in a canvas-like bag is a good cover. 3 year warranty. If it gives you any fits call Weber and they'll send another. As for if you need a cover, I usually tell my customers it is a preference.

The paint is enameled on the steel so fading and cracking won't be an issue with the finish. Covers allow for animals to make homes in the grill during the winter and retains moisture. However, good covers have vents, and if you've got a good grill that is enjoyable to use, you'll use it more. I don't have one on my main gas grill and it sits on a south facing uncovered patio-- my father keeps one on his religiously. If the cover is already on the way, I'd use it.

Ultimately, no cover will keep your grill going for many years if you don't keep it clean. Burn everything off after each use and once a year take it all apart and give it a good cleaning with oven cleaner.

On another note, new 20# bottles have an excess flow built into the valve. If you go to use your grill and it won't get above 3-350, you've most likely activated the excess flow. Turn everything off, wait a couple of minutes and restart the grill. The best thing to do is slowly turn on one burner and light it. Then repeat with the others. Also, when using the sear burner, turn the furthest right hand burner on low or off until done. You'll get more heat on the sear zone.

Happy grilling.

Burn everything off *after* each use? Maybe it's as easy as it sounds...but could you elaborate? I usually heat the grill up hot and scrape and everything before each use...is that not the right way to do it? Will the grates get damaged leaving them dirty between each use?

The cover I ordered is the one that comes with/in the canvas bag. 3 year warranty. I don't know if I'll use it 24/7 especially in the warmer months when I'm grilling a lot. But I guess it's a nice to have. Not sure if I'll leave it out all winter with the cover on, or move it in the garage...with the cover on.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:59 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Burn everything off *after* each use? Maybe it's as easy as it sounds...but could you elaborate? I usually heat the grill up hot and scrape and everything before each use...is that not the right way to do it? Will the grates get damaged leaving them dirty between each use?

The cover I ordered is the one that comes with/in the canvas bag. 3 year warranty. I don't know if I'll use it 24/7 especially in the warmer months when I'm grilling a lot. But I guess it's a nice to have. Not sure if I'll leave it out all winter with the cover on, or move it in the garage...with the cover on.

No right or wrong way, but I would burn in on high for 5-10 minutes after you're done cooking. That way the food doesn't stick and cause problems for the next time. Then when you're ready to cook give it a quick brushing and a light spray of vegetable oil and you're good to go.

Just remember to turn the grill off otherwise it gets expensive in a hurry. I had a customer leave his on for 3 days before he realized it was on :oops: (his was hooked to his gas supply) We also sell propane-- he got a Christmas card that year :D

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:07 am

guitarguy wrote:Pretty set on a Weber Genesis, but not sure if I should go with the older model E-330 or the brand new Genesis II E-310.

The 330 is $100 more at $799, but has a side burner (which will get light use) and a sear burner (which I've never had, but sounds awesome). It also has a closed cabinet design, no storage, but hides the tank. Made in USA.

The 310 is the brand new model, no side burner or sear station. Longer warranty for the cooking system and ignition...but don't Weber grills last forever anyway? Bluetooth cooking temp monitor available? Probably won't buy that add-on. Open cabinet design gives a shelf for storage, doesn't look as good as the closed cabinet and I don't think I'd use the shelf much. Hmm. Made in China.

Anyone shopping now and doing research that can chime in?

Anyone have any of these grills that has anything good/bad to say?

The E-330 is going to be hard to come by very soon since the new model has been introduced. Most big box stores are already sold out of it. Making the decision soon!

Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...

I bought a Weber Genesis about 15 months ago. Within a few months, rust started appearing on the non-painted parts. Of course, rust is not part of their warranty. Never again!

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:14 am

Cruise wrote:I bought a Weber Genesis about 15 months ago. Within a few months, rust started appearing on the non-painted parts. Of course, rust is not part of their warranty. Never again!

Corrosion from rust IS covered, but they aren't going to give you a new grill from some surface rust that you can wipe away.

If your grill has corrosion, contact Weber. If it's surface rust, clean your grill every once and a while. Depending on where you live and how you keep it, nothing remains entirely rust free.

JT

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 am

Cruise wrote:
I bought a Weber Genesis about 15 months ago. Within a few months, rust started appearing on the non-painted parts. Of course, rust is not part of their warranty. Never again!

Some things get "better" with use. Keyboards develop shiny spots, watches get a few scratches, cars get a few dings... grills get a few rust spots. That's normal.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:23 pm

With apologies in advance for not having been able to get through the full set of replies, I have the Genesis E310 (older version) and am quite happy with it. The closed storage helps make the back yard look more tidy, and I at least would like to think it keeps a couple of the critters out of the grill and the grease pan. It gets things nice and hot, and it looks no worse the wear for having spent two winters outdoors (I do have a cover and use it religiously. If nothing else, it means I have to clean it less often.)

If I could do it again, I'd absolutely buy the upgraded version with the side burner and sear station. I hadn't appreciated this when I had an older grill that I used less, but I almost always have a side going on a skillet on the stove while I'm grilling, and it's usually something like sauteed vegetables (especially greens) that need a close eye, so I'm constantly running back and forth from stove to grill when instead I should be standing outside enjoying a beer. I'd probably also use the sear station, but not as much.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:06 am

bottlecap wrote:Corrosion from rust IS covered, but they aren't going to give you a new grill from some surface rust that you can wipe away.

If your grill has corrosion, contact Weber. If it's surface rust, clean your grill every once and a while. Depending on where you live and how you keep it, nothing remains entirely rust free.

JT

Thanks, but I did contact Weber and they said "Tough Luck."

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:If I could do it again, I'd absolutely buy the upgraded version with the side burner and sear station. I hadn't appreciated this when I had an older grill that I used less, but I almost always have a side going on a skillet on the stove while I'm grilling, and it's usually something like sauteed vegetables ...

Nothing like sauted onions on those burgers...

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 am

Cruise wrote:
bottlecap wrote:Corrosion from rust IS covered, but they aren't going to give you a new grill from some surface rust that you can wipe away.

JT

I'd be willing to bet you just have some minor surface rust that could be cleaned up and removed.

You really have corrosion after a year and a half? If you do then I don't know why you're taking no for an answer. The warranty spells out in plain English that rust through is covered.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:01 am

Cruise wrote:
Nearly A Moose wrote:If I could do it again, I'd absolutely buy the upgraded version with the side burner and sear station. I hadn't appreciated this when I had an older grill that I used less, but I almost always have a side going on a skillet on the stove while I'm grilling, and it's usually something like sauteed vegetables ...

Agreed. That's why I bought one of these:
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prod ... -4-burner/

I've used my Weber once since May.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Cruise wrote:

Check out Grill Grates - they are cast aluminum grates that can be flipped over to make a flat surface with small pores. I leave them this way on my weber grill, and it gives a TON more contact area for searing and cooking, and no lost food to the large gaps. Again, I flip these over so the ridge grooves face the fire, and a flat surface is on top.

First read about them on amazingribs.com - scroll down to find the product review. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide ... rates.html

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:58 am

fishmonger wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.

Wondering what most of you consider basic maintenance/what you do to make your grill last? I have a Weber Spirit and try to always keep the grates greased up, always brush it before laying the food on, and when taking the food off. Other than that, I give it a real deep clean probably once a year with a scraper and a water/vinegar mixture.

Any other tips?

I have the Spirit too. What do you grease the grates with? Do you have the porcelain enameled or stainless? My porcelain enameled rusted after 2 years so I put in a warranty complaint with Weber and they sent brand new ones. Same with my grill cover from them, the first one was crap quality and it fell apart in a year. The next one they sent w/ the canvas bag is much better quality.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 am

Does anyone else get the flaky build up on the underside of the lid? I don't know what that's from or what it is so I worry about it falling into my food.

I scrape it with a plastic putty knife and then it gets all over the grates.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:25 am

BW1985 wrote:Does anyone else get the flaky build up on the underside of the lid? I don't know what that's from or what it is so I worry about it falling into my food.

I think it is from the smoke. When I complete a cook with my smoker, and occasionally with my Weber grill, I will carefully hit it with my pressure washer.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:20 am

BW1985 wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Wondering what most of you consider basic maintenance/what you do to make your grill last? I have a Weber Spirit and try to always keep the grates greased up, always brush it before laying the food on, and when taking the food off. Other than that, I give it a real deep clean probably once a year with a scraper and a water/vinegar mixture.

Any other tips?

I have the Spirit too. What do you grease the grates with? Do you have the porcelain enameled or stainless? My porcelain enameled rusted after 2 years so I put in a warranty complaint with Weber and they sent brand new ones. Same with my grill cover from them, the first one was crap quality and it fell apart in a year. The next one they sent w/ the canvas bag is much better quality.

I usually grease the grates with canola or peanut oil (something with a high smoke point). I have the porcelain grates, and they are in ok shape in Year 3, but I may upgrade to stainless this summer

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 am

arsenalfan wrote:
Luke Duke wrote:
Cruise wrote:

Check out Grill Grates - they are cast aluminum grates that can be flipped over to make a flat surface with small pores. I leave them this way on my weber grill, and it gives a TON more contact area for searing and cooking, and no lost food to the large gaps. Again, I flip these over so the ridge grooves face the fire, and a flat surface is on top.

First read about them on amazingribs.com - scroll down to find the product review. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide ... rates.html

Yeah, I have a cheap cast iron griddle I'll use for this sometimes. But it takes up grill space, and when I grill, I tend to grill a lot things. Actually, I should have mentioned in my initial comment that if possible, I would have gotten a grill with both an even bigger grilling surface and with a side burner. But you're getting into pretty expensive territory there, and at that point it might be worth considering going all the way to a built-in - which of course means you need to have a full outdoor kitchen with U-shaped counter top, built in fridge, sink, and pergola :)

To the comment about the flat-top griddle-style grill, I think that depends on what you like to grill. I bet that works great for steaks and burgers. Probably not so great if you want to slow cook a whole chicken or a duck (and, if you don't routinely cook these on your grill, you should. The skin gets So. Good. And. Crispy. )

Man, can't wait until spring is here in full swing!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:22 am

Following up on the comment about porcelain grates, I read that you should not use a standard (wire) grill brush on them - is that accurate? I've always just hammered on them with one when the grill is still hot

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:13 pm

fishmonger wrote:Following up on the comment about porcelain grates, I read that you should not use a standard (wire) grill brush on them - is that accurate? I've always just hammered on them with one when the grill is still hot

The danger with wire brushes is that a single strand of bristle may come loose, stick to the grill, then attach itself to the food. Then, the consumer eats the bristle with the food and it lodges somewhere in his or her digestive system.

Not good.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm

fishmonger wrote:Following up on the comment about porcelain grates, I read that you should not use a standard (wire) grill brush on them - is that accurate? I've always just hammered on them with one when the grill is still hot

What I read is not to use stainless steel brushes on them but to use copper brushes instead because they are softer.

This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZG ... UTF8&psc=1

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Jimmie wrote:

The danger with wire brushes is that a single strand of bristle may come loose, stick to the grill, then attach itself to the food. Then, the consumer eats the bristle with the food and it lodges somewhere in his or her digestive system.

Not good.

I would think more likely with cheap brushes then a well made brush like the one I linked to. That said I always inspect the grates after I brush and before I place food on. Another precaution would be to chew grilled food thoroughly so that if there is a bristle you find it while chewing and not after swallowing. You could make sure you look at it while your eating too to avoid even putting it in your mouth.
Last edited by BW1985 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Jimmie wrote:

Not good.

Not worried about this, as I find that to be almost impossible with a decent quality grill brush. More concerned with "damaging" the grates

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm

fishmonger wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Any other tips?

I usually grease the grates with canola or peanut oil (something with a high smoke point). I have the porcelain grates, and they are in ok shape in Year 3, but I may upgrade to stainless this summer

Do you re-grease them after every use? I assume you apply when the grill is cold and not in use?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Jimmie wrote:

Not good.

I would think more likely with cheap brushes then a well made brush like the one I linked to. That said I always inspect the grates after I brush and before I place food on. Another precaution would be to chew grilled food thoroughly so that if there is a bristle you find it while chewing and not after swallowing. You could make sure you look at it while your eating too to avoid even putting it in your mouth.
I use little cooper colored pads (similar to Brillo without soap) that are 3 for $1 at the $ Store. I think they're actually steel. Good for smoothing out the grease and getting rid of food particles that stick to the grates.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:49 pm

pshonore wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Jimmie wrote:

Not good.

I use little cooper colored pads (similar to Brillo without soap) that are 3 for $1 at the $ Store. I think they're actually steel. Good for smoothing out the grease and getting rid of food particles that stick to the grates.

What kind of grates do you have?

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:11 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Cruise wrote:

JT

I'd be willing to bet you just have some minor surface rust that could be cleaned up and removed.

You really have corrosion after a year and a half? If you do then I don't know why you're taking no for an answer. The warranty spells out in plain English that rust through is covered.

I'm not one to take no for an answer, but I'd be happy to outsource my complaints to a service that will do that for me. I had corrosion within a few months. Not rust through. A pretty grill starting to rust in a few months is an indication of cheap construction materials. Why pay $800 for a rust-laded grill? Never again.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Cruise wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
Cruise wrote:

JT

I'm not one to take no for an answer, but I'd be happy to outsource my complaints to a service that will do that for me. I had corrosion within a few months. Not rust through. A pretty grill starting to rust in a few months is an indication of cheap construction materials. Why pay $800 for a rust-laded grill? Never again.

Bummer. If you actually have corrosion they should replace the component. If it's just minor surface rust then just clean it up and remove it with a little elbow grease.

Either way you seem to be in the VAST minority on this one!

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:19 pm

BW1985 wrote:
fishmonger wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Any other tips?

Do you re-grease them after every use? I assume you apply when the grill is cold and not in use?

This is good info. I never really worried about seasoning the grates all that much...

It also reminds me I should order a new grill brush!

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm

What type of meat thermometers are you all using?

Does a simple instant digital read out one do? $20 from Amazon.

Or do I "need" this fancy Bluetooth iGrill deal...?