Ordering a Weber grill this week

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 am

Pretty set on a Weber Genesis, but not sure if I should go with the older model E-330 or the brand new Genesis II E-310.

The 330 is $100 more at $799, but has a side burner (which will get light use) and a sear burner (which I've never had, but sounds awesome). It also has a closed cabinet design, no storage, but hides the tank. Made in USA.

The 310 is the brand new model, no side burner or sear station. Longer warranty for the cooking system and ignition...but don't Weber grills last forever anyway? Bluetooth cooking temp monitor available? Probably won't buy that add-on. Open cabinet design gives a shelf for storage, doesn't look as good as the closed cabinet and I don't think I'd use the shelf much. Hmm. Made in China.

Anyone shopping now and doing research that can chime in?

Anyone have any of these grills that has anything good/bad to say?

The E-330 is going to be hard to come by very soon since the new model has been introduced. Most big box stores are already sold out of it. Making the decision soon!

Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...

User avatar
hand
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by hand » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:01 am

A couple of quick thoughts...

Per Weber, grill cover does not help with longevity - grills are designed to live happily outside uncovered.

Consider upgrading your grill grates for enhanced heat retention, distribution (improved cooking) & longevity and your flavorizer bars for enhanced longevity. Ebay seller RCPlanebuyer makes heavy gauge 304 stainless steel versions of both that noticeably enhance performance of Weber grills.

pochax
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by pochax » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 am

i have the E-310 (bought in June 2016) for $700. it is really nice and works very well. i prefer the closed cabinet look.

one issue may be availability of replacement parts down the line....typically there is a higher likelihood that parts for newer models will be more available (possibly cheaper?) than older ones.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:28 am

I went through a similar debate about, I think, 15 years ago when I bought my Weber Genesis. I do not have a closed cabinet nor a side-burner. The reason I bought this model was because I had a side-burner on a prior model I never used. I do sometimes wish, however, I had a closed cabinet on mine (have thought of jury-rigging one) for two reason: 1-Looks nicer; 2-I have a dog who is always trying to access the drip tray.

Jimmie
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Jimmie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 am

hand wrote:Per Weber, grill cover does not help with longevity - grills are designed to live happily outside uncovered.

First, I have this grill and use a cover. I really don't enjoy starting my grilling experience each time by cleaning up bird poop.

The sear burner is only an extra burner placed between the left and center burner for added heat. This grill gets plenty hot! I often get temperatures up to 700 degrees in the summer.

I also spent extra money (about $100) to get the natural gas option. Then, I had a flexible natural gas pipe pulled from my basement to under the deck where the grill sits. Goodbye, propane tanks.

The side burner gets used quite often, especially when I use my cast iron pan for sauteed onions and mushrooms. When I cook outside, everything gets cooked outside.

I have had this grill for about five years and absolutely love it. I got the stainless steel option and it looks as good as the day it was delivered.
Last edited by Jimmie on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 am

guitarguy wrote:Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...


I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.

ccf
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by ccf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 am

I think that any Weber Genesis is a great choice.

I have an E-330. I use the sear burner sometimes but I would not miss it at all if I didn't have it.
I use the side burner for two things 1) lighting a charcoal chimney for my smoker and 2) boiling big pots of lobster. I'd miss it, but I could get a $40 patio stove to do the same job. I also like the rotisserie add on.
Last edited by ccf on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 am

pochax wrote:i have the E-310 (bought in June 2016) for $700. it is really nice and works very well. i prefer the closed cabinet look.

one issue may be availability of replacement parts down the line....typically there is a higher likelihood that parts for newer models will be more available (possibly cheaper?) than older ones.


I just noticed they seem to have this one (older 2016 model, without the sear or side burners) for only $499! Limited stock. I may go with this baby.

Between the older model with the side and sear burners for only $100 more than the new model...those options seem worth it. Comparing it now to the old model for $300 cheaper...I think I can prob live without those bells and whistles. Not sure if they're just gimmicky or not anyways.

We do use our current side burner, but only a couple times a year if I'm being honest.

Blueskies123
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Blueskies123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 am

I have the closed Genesis with the side burner and cover. The cover keeps dust and dirt away and makes for a much cleaner appearance. Some guests like a nice clean and shiny object to look at but I like it also so it is important to me. I do not use the side burner much but I would get it again because it makes a nice side shelf for plates and utensils, and my beer. But the main reason I would get it again because when I did not have electricity for 6 days after hurricane Wilma and I used it to cook and heat water for a bath.
FIRE July 2015

Blueskies123
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Blueskies123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 am

lthenderson wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...


I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.


Huh? I suspect you had a really cheap grill. You will not have this problem with a Weber?
FIRE July 2015

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...


I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.


Huh? I suspect you had a really cheap grill. You will not have this problem with a Weber?


The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 am

Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 am

^ I've had my Weber for 15 years without a cover. I believe the cover can do more to harm the grill than help it by trapping-in moisture - I too believe you are better off without one.

Luke Duke
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Texas

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am

lthenderson wrote:
Blueskies123 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...


I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.


Huh? I suspect you had a really cheap grill. You will not have this problem with a Weber?


The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.


Just because it was expensive doesn't mean that it wasn't cheap. :mrgreen:

User avatar
tdhg566
Posts: 859
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:37 pm
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by tdhg566 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:17 am

+100 for Weber grills. I also have a cover (bought a replacement when original cover fell apart), and I intended to use it during monsoon storms to keep water from blowing in and accumulating in drip pan. I never seem to do that though. I agree that the cover traps moisture. Also, wasps nest under it.

I grill a lot in the summer just to keep the heat out of the house. I have a side burner that I use on occasion. Would not buy a grill without one.

I don't have a sear burner. Would use that on occasion (for me) but wouldn't help with wife's food as she likes well done through and through.

I never clean the burner grates. Just turn it to HI for 10 minutes and let everything carbonize. I clean the drip tray and replace the foil pan once a year.

I do on occasion "rotate" the stainless tents over the burners so the tents between burners get "cleaned".

Otherwise it's zero maintenance.
My work in retirement must be retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:26 am

sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


I'm seeing the E-330 for $799...would love to find one for $599...

Big Dutch
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Big Dutch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 am

I bought a Weber Genesis E-330 last summer. Love it! It's my first brand-new grill and it's incredible how hot it runs, even when I don't use the sear station (4th burner). I sadly overcooked several nice cuts of meat before adjusting to the new grill. I can't yet speak to longevity but it's easy to clean and I really like the grill so far. Enjoy!

~Big Dutch

protagonist
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 am

Or save $700 or so and get a Weber charcoal kettle grill, which never breaks, doesn't have to be covered, and never requires maintenance or refilling the gas canisters in the middle of a cookout.

The coals are very easy to light if you get one of those cylinder chimney thingies.

As per amazingribs.com: "If taste is paramount to you, then go charcoal. If ease of use is paramount, go gas."
Last edited by protagonist on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmie
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Jimmie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 am

I almost forgot the one bad experience I had with my E-330.

I ordered it from Lowe's. They offered "free assembly". When the delivery truck came, I went to my back deck to make sure there was a clear path to set it up.

Now, around the corner comes the delivery guys carrying it by the side shelves. They bent the crap out of both shelves, so I sent them back to the truck with it. While they were backing out the driveway, I called the store, read the manager the riot act, and demanded they bring a brand new one out immediately unassembled. The manager took $50 off.

It took me less than an hour to assemble it. Plus, I have the peace-of-mind to know that it was put together correctly.

bluebolt
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by bluebolt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 am

Jimmie wrote:I almost forgot the one bad experience I had with my E-330.

I ordered it from Lowe's. They offered "free assembly". When the delivery truck came, I went to my back deck to make sure there was a clear path to set it up.

Now, around the corner comes the delivery guys carrying it by the side shelves. They bent the crap out of both shelves, so I sent them back to the truck with it. While they were backing out the driveway, I called the store, read the manager the riot act, and demanded they bring a brand new one out immediately unassembled. The manager took $50 off.

It took me less than an hour to assemble it. Plus, I have the peace-of-mind to know that it was put together correctly.

It took me less than an hour to assemble it by myself, but it would have been much easier had I had someone to help me. So, if you can, good to have a helper around for some of the assembly.

Oh, and +1 for the Genesis E-330, though I've only used the side burner once :oops:

DSInvestor
Posts: 10557
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:59 am

guitarguy wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


I'm seeing the E-330 for $799...would love to find one for $599...


I just searched Lowes.com and saw Genesis E-330 for $699 for black and copper. Espresso color is $799. HomeDepot.com shows $799 for black.
Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis- ... er/3318442

If you buy it with a Citibank credit, register the purchase on the CITI Price Rewind service which will search for lower prices. If lower price is found within 60 days of purchase, they will refund you the price difference.

Jimmie
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Jimmie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

guitarguy wrote:Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...

Besides the cover debate, things like this that may last forever are not really expensive, if you consider what you get out of them over its life.

I never think twice about spending more money on TVs, mattresses, major kitchen appliances, lawnmowers, and mattresses, to name a few. These are things you use all the time. Why go cheap?

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 4908
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by bottlecap » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:12 am

I have the stainless E-330 in natural gas. Great grill. Sear burner is nice, but perhaps unnecessary, but I like having more grill area than the 310. I do use the side burner occasionally.

Get an aftermarket temp gauge that is wireless or BT. The thermometers on the grills themselves are inaccurate.

I covered it the first 4.5 years, but the last year it's gone without. It is dirty, but not covering it causes no other problems.

I saw the new Webers at Lowes the other weekend. The quality of all but their $1,999 six burner model is not as good as the old ones. Put a little pressure on the side shelves and you'll see what I mean.

I'd stick with the old 330.

Congrats and enjoy it!

mak1277
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by mak1277 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 am

If you do want to cover the grill, my recommendation would be to buy a $3 blue tarp and a couple of bungee cords to secure it. Don't pay $30 or $50 or whatever Weber charges for their cover.

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 am

DSInvestor wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


I'm seeing the E-330 for $799...would love to find one for $599...


I just searched Lowes.com and saw Genesis E-330 for $699 for black and copper. Espresso color is $799. HomeDepot.com shows $799 for black.
Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis- ... er/3318442

If you buy it with a Citibank credit, register the purchase on the CITI Price Rewind service which will search for lower prices. If lower price is found within 60 days of purchase, they will refund you the price difference.


Yes, I saw that as well.

Unfortunately I also see the In Store Pickup - Unavailable, and Delivery to Home - Unavailable tags.

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:27 am

guitarguy wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


I'm seeing the E-330 for $799...would love to find one for $599...


I just searched Lowes.com and saw Genesis E-330 for $699 for black and copper. Espresso color is $799. HomeDepot.com shows $799 for black.
Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis- ... er/3318442

If you buy it with a Citibank credit, register the purchase on the CITI Price Rewind service which will search for lower prices. If lower price is found within 60 days of purchase, they will refund you the price difference.


Yes, I saw that as well.

Unfortunately I also see the In Store Pickup - Unavailable, and Delivery to Home - Unavailable tags.


I suppose I could try to get Home Depot to match this price and see if they'll go for it...

fishmonger
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by fishmonger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:31 am

sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


Wondering what most of you consider basic maintenance/what you do to make your grill last? I have a Weber Spirit and try to always keep the grates greased up, always brush it before laying the food on, and when taking the food off. Other than that, I give it a real deep clean probably once a year with a scraper and a water/vinegar mixture.

Any other tips?

dream_chaser
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by dream_chaser » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:19 am

I bought a Weber kettle grill about 3 years ago. I also sprung for the upgraded (not the chintzy version) cover.

This year, I found myself taping cracks and holes on the cover (admittedly I did not treat it with any UV protectant). I also noticed some rust forming on the handle welds.

My father has an old Weber kettle grill that he purchased 5 years ago second hand. It sits outside 24/7/365. It looks a little rougher than mine but cooks just the same.

I think I'll pitch the cover this year. *shrug*

Jimmie
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Jimmie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:29 am

fishmonger wrote:Wondering what most of you consider basic maintenance/what you do to make your grill last? I have a Weber Spirit and try to always keep the grates greased up, always brush it before laying the food on, and when taking the food off. Other than that, I give it a real deep clean probably once a year with a scraper and a water/vinegar mixture.

Any other tips?

I fitted mine with these placed right over the factory-supplied grates: https://www.grillgrate.com/

These clean up easy and leave killer grill marks. All the "Grillmasters" you see on TV use these at competitions, since appearance counts in the scoring.

DISCLAIMER: For the last ten years, I have been a Kansas City Barbecue Society Certified Barbecue Judge. I own two sets of these and have no affiliation to this company. I have had email contact with the owner in a customer service context.

Other than that, a simple wipe-down of the stainless steel once in a while is the only maintenance I ever need to perform.

dickyboy
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by dickyboy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 am

I've had a Weber Genesis for about 16 years now and it still works fine. I've had to replace the flavor bars twice and the grates once though so it is not completely maintenance free. Also my igniter no longer works but it is easy to light with a little stem lighter which is what I do...guess I'm too lazy to investigate what it would take to fix. My grill gets used a lot, summer and winter so I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:37 am

Post deleted, bad information...
Last edited by sunny_socal on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btenny
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by btenny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 am

I have the Weber Genesis 330 in Copper. I use it about 2-3 times a week when we are in Phoenix. It works amazing and looks great on my patio. I got mine at Lowes about 4 years ago for $700 including a heavy fitted Weber cover and a stainless smoker box and some wood chips. They gave me the cover and smoker for my discount coupon instead of cutting the price. The sear burner is the key to heating up the grill in 3-5 minutes maximum. I turn on all the burners to high and it heats up to 400 degrees almost instantly. Then I turn off the sear and the right hand burner and cook steaks or chicken or other food as needed at 400ish. It cooks even and fast. I can get it up to 700 for pizza or down to 200 for ribs. I also use the side burner to cook fish and other smelly things outside with a skillet. I like fish but my wife does not like the smell it leaves when we cook inside. So I just cook it outside.

I keep mine covered when not in use. This keeps it looking new on the outside. Mine also has the propane tank scale built into it. It weighs the tank and tells me when it is time to buy more propane.

Good Luck.

SleepKing
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by SleepKing » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am

Have had a propane Spirit 310 since 2007 and have loved it. No side burner; we cook alot and have never once wished we had a burner on the grill.

Here's my take on 'routine maintenance & up keep & things expected to replace':
- I replace the flavorizer bars ~every 2-3 years when they rust real bad (i tried SS ones from amazon seller once...still rust out).
- Upgraded to SS grilling surface (Weber brand) and get 2 years out of that before I replace due to some surface rust. Lot's of people use cast iron. I don't condition the bars with oil. I always pre-heat and then burn off the surface with a brush off before letting it cool down.
- I've changed the thermometer once.
- I've changed the igniter once.
- Make sure to clean out the drip pan every few weeks or it'll get real nasty.
- I too used to do a grill wipe down at year end. I have done brillo pads (not recommended!), oven cleaner (worked well but need to watch your safety). I haven't tried the vinegar solution, interesting option. I gave up last year since I'm going to get a bigger model in 2018...just gotta make it through this season!
- I keep it covered when not in use.

I had a burner tube rust out last year and Weber replaced all the burning elements at no cost to me when I called to order replacement! It was easy to install myself.

I'd recommend the Spirit 310 if you can find it. You won't regret the 3 burners or larger grilling surface. If not, just go with the Genesis 2 3 burner model.

Best,
Sleepy

btenny
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by btenny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Sunny Socal. The Weber Spirit is a smaller grill than the Genesis. It has 529 sq in cooking area. The Spirit costs $599.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-E ... fgod8TgLKA

The Genesis costs $699 for the copper colored version. It has 637-sq in total cooking area: 507-sq in primary and 130-sq in warming rack. See here.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis- ... er/3318442

Good Luck.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm

dickyboy wrote:I've had a Weber Genesis for about 16 years now and it still works fine. I've had to replace the flavor bars twice and the grates once though so it is not completely maintenance free. Also my igniter no longer works but it is easy to light with a little stem lighter which is what I do...guess I'm too lazy to investigate what it would take to fix. My grill gets used a lot, summer and winter so I feel I've gotten my money's worth.


You can buy a new igniter for $12 to $24 on Amazon (depending upon model). Easy to replace. Nothing beats just pushing that button to get flame.

btenny
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by btenny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Oh I forgot. The box below the grill does hold some stuff. Mine has room for my propane bottle and the scale and my smoker box and wood chips and 3 brushes. So it does store some stuff.

michaeljc70
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 pm

sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


How much "basic maintenance" is required? I have always bought cheaper grills (around $300) and they seem to last 3 or so years. I know people say they can keep a Weber for 15 years, but if it involves spending $100s on new grates, burners, etc. every few years I wonder if it is really worth it. Does anyone have a breakdown of costs they've incurred overtime for a Genesis? My grill is on the way out and considering what to get next.

researcher
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by researcher » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:17 pm

mak1277 wrote:If you do want to cover the grill, my recommendation would be to buy a $3 blue tarp and a couple of bungee cords to secure it. Don't pay $30 or $50 or whatever Weber charges for their cover.

The OP is willing to spend $800+ on a new Weber grill.

Yet you think he should save ~$20 by using a non-fitting blue tarp held on by bungee cords?

Why not spend the extra ~$20 and get a nice-looking fitted cover that does not require fiddling with bungee cords?

User avatar
Conch55
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by Conch55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I have a Genesis Silver C with side burner purchased in 2001 and it's been very reliable. We use the side burner to cook things with strong odors (onions&peppers, steamed crabs, etc). I've replaced the "flavorizer" bars a couple of time but that's about it. The igniter went out a few years ago so I use a butane lighter to start which is not an issue for me. We grill year 'round. When the time comes to replace this grill I will likely opt for the current Weber alternative including a side burner.

wolf359
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by wolf359 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I pre-cook perfectly my steaks and chicken using sous vide techniques, then sear everything off using a Weber Spirit. The size is irrelevant if you're only grilling for a minute or two per side, and I get to enjoy time with my guests. The results are restaurant quality, and I can still make everything to order.

I used to use a Weber Charcoal grill, but it took more time and attention. The higher end Webers mainly just look good, but don't produce better results. All Weber models are good quality and cook well.

pshonore
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by pshonore » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Had a Weber Genesis for 25 years used 3 times a week, 52 weeks a year. A few years ago, it was looking so bad I replaced it with a Char Broil. No comparison. Bought the Genesis E-330 (in green) last summer and its great. One minor complaint - trying to move a 20lb tank of propane (weighs about 40 lbs) into that small compartment with doors is not fun.

pshonore
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by pshonore » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:28 pm

sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.
Thats the Spirit model, not the Genesis (still $799)

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:31 pm

btenny wrote:Sunny Socal. The Weber Spirit is a smaller grill than the Genesis. It has 529 sq in cooking area. The Spirit costs $599.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Spirit-E ... fgod8TgLKA

The Genesis costs $699 for the copper colored version. It has 637-sq in total cooking area: 507-sq in primary and 130-sq in warming rack. See here.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis- ... er/3318442

Good Luck.


Ummm... you're right! I deleted my post, it was incorrect.

I found my genesis on blowout sale from Walmart years ago, normally it was $800 and they had it for $550. I bought in on the spot and figured I'd find a way to explain the impulse buy to my wife later :)

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

I just pulled the trigger on the Genesis E-330! I also bought a Weber cover and a cool little light that goes on when you open the grill - yes, that is $25 blown on a novelty item and proof that the "people usually buy this crap with this purchase" links on the bottom of the Home Depot website pages do actually work sometimes...but hey I wanted it. Plus I actually HAVE said to myself as I was wrapping up grilling at dusk...a light right here would be cool. So I bought one! 8-)

Total for the order $950 all in.

Then, a quick chat on the HD website. Asked to match Lowes price for this grill at $699 instead of $799, they couldn't match because Lowes was out of stock and I couldn't get it there (which I knew going in but doesn't hurt to ask). Low and behold, a courtesy 10% discount off my total purchase...making it work out basically the same. Quite happy!!

On top of that, just to tie this in to my 30-something page credit card reward strategy thread...I got 5X back for shopping with HD gift cards through Staples with my Ink+, and another 2X back by shopping at Home Depot through Chase's UR portal. Score.

:sharebeer

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:52 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Get the E-330! Having that sear station and side burner are great.

Don't pay MSRP. Lowes and HD have it on sale right now for $599, that's about as low as it's going to be. "Order" it from there but pick up in store :D

That grill will last you a lifetime with basic maintenance. I don't keep mine covered.


How much "basic maintenance" is required? I have always bought cheaper grills (around $300) and they seem to last 3 or so years. I know people say they can keep a Weber for 15 years, but if it involves spending $100s on new grates, burners, etc. every few years I wonder if it is really worth it. Does anyone have a breakdown of costs they've incurred overtime for a Genesis? My grill is on the way out and considering what to get next.


I'd be interested in this as well. Although the burners have a 10 year warranty so I doubt they're getting replaced frequently.

guitarguy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by guitarguy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Conch55 wrote:When the time comes to replace this grill I will likely opt for the current Weber alternative including a side burner.


The interesting thing is the new Genesis II models (new as of 2017) that come with a side burner seem to only be the super fancy "LX" models at $1200+...which makes me think the $799 (plus a 10% discount) that I paid for my 2016 model that has those bells and whistles is a "steal."

I suspect my wife will be happy that I didn't skimp on the side burner. Truth be told we don't use ours that often, but we do use it.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
Blueskies123 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Expensive for a grill...but with a cover I expect it to last "forever"...


I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.


Huh? I suspect you had a really cheap grill. You will not have this problem with a Weber?


The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.


Just because it was expensive doesn't mean that it wasn't cheap. :mrgreen:


True. Also assuming something you've never seen must be cheap because it isn't a Weber and doesn't support your argument doesn't make your argument correct either. I'm merely saying that putting a cover on a grill outside, regardless of it's worth, probably hastens its demise... in my experience. :sharebeer

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:44 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Luke Duke wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
Blueskies123 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
I have learned the hard way to never use a cover. My expensive stainless steel grill rusted completely out within two years. The cover traps warm humid air next to the grill all summer long. Once I lost the cover... and got a new grill, things have been going much better.


Huh? I suspect you had a really cheap grill. You will not have this problem with a Weber?


The original stainless steel grill cost twice as much as a Weber Genesis so no, I don't think it was a cheap grill. The replacement cost about half what a Weber Genesis costs, isn't stainless and is most definitely a cheap grill. It has also lasted longer without a cover.


Just because it was expensive doesn't mean that it wasn't cheap. :mrgreen:


True. Also assuming something you've never seen must be cheap because it isn't a Weber and doesn't support your argument doesn't make your argument correct either. I'm merely saying that putting a cover on a grill outside, regardless of it's worth, probably hastens its demise... in my experience. :sharebeer


How does not having a cover hasten its demise? Weber, themselves, probably don't want to tell you NOT to buy a cover on their main website since they charge $80 for them but on their blog they actually do state they aren't necessary whenever they are directly asked.
I paid a lot for my car but don't cover that when I park it outside either.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2307
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:46 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:How does not having a cover hasten its demise? Weber, themselves, probably don't want to tell you NOT to buy a cover on their main website since they charge $80 for them but on their blog they actually do state they aren't necessary whenever they are directly asked.
I paid a lot for my car but don't cover that when I park it outside either.


You and I are in agreement on not using covers. I think you misread my post.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Ordering a Weber grill this week

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:48 pm

lthenderson wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:How does not having a cover hasten its demise? Weber, themselves, probably don't want to tell you NOT to buy a cover on their main website since they charge $80 for them but on their blog they actually do state they aren't necessary whenever they are directly asked.
I paid a lot for my car but don't cover that when I park it outside either.


You and I are in agreement on not using covers. I think you misread my post.


Whoops - sorry - read to fast - thought you were saying "not" having a cover hastens its demise but you actually stated having one might :)
I agree - I think there is more chance of doing harm than good on putting on a cover (locks in moisture and excess heat - I believe in letting it breath).

Post Reply