ORD Parking lot challenge - need quick response

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
angelescrest

ORD Parking lot challenge - need quick response

Post by angelescrest »

I have a flight out of ORD in the morning, and literally every single third party parking lot is booked. Maybe it's a good sign the spring break economy is thriving.

Anyhow, I might be stuck chancing it with their economy lot, which is either $17 or $10 for lot E or G. I know it's first come first serve. For those of you veteran travelers in the area, do you know what my chances are of getting a spot tomorrow morning? Daily lot is $40 a day, and this is a four day trip. If that one has more availability, I may end up doing that. Not a Boglehead price.

Or should I consider other options? Park somewhere else and Uber it in w 4 people? In decades of work travel I haven't seen anything like this.
BW1985

Re: ORD Parking lot challenge - need quick response

Post by BW1985 »

How far do you live from the airport? I stopped parking there and just take Uber now.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

100+ miles.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

If you are looking for the absolute cheapest option, you can park in the neighborhood around Jefferson Park and take the blue line train into ORD. I wouldn't really recommend doing this for a work trip and dragging 3 other colleagues through that.
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

Pacman wrote:If you are looking for the absolute cheapest option, you can park in the neighborhood around Jefferson Park and take the blue line train into ORD. I wouldn't really recommend doing this for a work trip and dragging 3 other colleagues through that.
Pay the $100 premium (over economy) and park next to the terminal.
TMQ206

Post by TMQ206 »

Are you including hotels with shuttles that have park n fly in your third party parking? Not all airport hotels at ORD require you to stay overnight, as I recall. My family did this for years as we lived over an hour from ORD.
johnny141

Post by johnny141 »

http://globalairportparking.com

Basically they partner with hotels and you park there (with permission) and use the hotel shuttle. Decent prices and shows shuttle times/frequencies
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

TMQ206 wrote:Are you including hotels with shuttles that have park n fly in your third party parking? Not all airport hotels at ORD require you to stay overnight, as I recall. My family did this for years as we lived over an hour from ORD.
This is a great suggestion, but yes they too are all booked up.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

There are a number of regional bus lines that server ORD and Midway . Parking is free in their lot. Others serve Peoria, Madison, etc

Tri-state bus NW Indiana to ORD

Rockford to ORD
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

johnny141 wrote:http://globalairportparking.com

Basically they partner with hotels and you park there (with permission) and use the hotel shuttle. Decent prices and shows shuttle times/frequencies
Tried this now, and it shows everything is unavailable.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Anybody tried economy or daily lots during busy holidays? How full can they get?
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

Try Holiday inn express or some other hotel which have shuttles to Airport.Pay them and ride easy.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

dbltrbl wrote:Try Holiday inn express or some other hotel which have shuttles to Airport.Pay them and ride easy.
Thanks, but as mentioned above they're all booked too.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Do you have SpotHero app? It's great for us to search and book discounted parking spaces around Chicago, maybe they have something near ORD.

https://spothero.com
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've sometimes taken 10 minutes to find a spot in the remote parking, but have never once been unsuccessful. I would choose Lot E first, as you just have to walk to the overhead rail station. From lot G, you need to catch a bus to lot E.

Another option which I've used multiple times in the past is to park at the Rosemont CTA station on River Rd, and take the Blue Line into the airport. It's $13/day, plus $7.25 per person round trip ($2.25 heading in, $5 coming out), and there are no stops between Rosemont and O'Hare--takes about 10 minutes and drops you in the underground that connects the onsite parking garages to terminals 1, 2, and 3.
samsmith

Post by samsmith »

Agree with lazydavid. Park in Lot E and take tram. It's crowded but normally you can find a spot- might take 5-10 minutes. But sometimes 30 seconds. Lot G requires bus to tram and would leave that for last resort
Spedward

Post by Spedward »

Where you coming from? An uber to the airport from my house is like 15-20.

I have parked in the economy lot a number of times. It's super easy and the tram runs right too it. Had to park there at Christmas last year when we needed the car seats and everything was booked. We had no trouble. There is always someone leaving.

I think it was 12 a day.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Very, very helpful. Thanks folks. I will go with lot E, and hope that at 8AM there will be enough people leaving to guarantee a spot. I got a notice from United that due to spring break the lines will be longer. I'm assuming 2 hours for a domestic will be enough.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Just wondering. A while back there was some construction that resulted in portions of the O'Hare parking lots being closed. Is that no longer a problem?