Recommendation for a security system

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sbh8

Recommendation for a security system

Post by sbh8 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:16 am

Can anyone recommend their security system/company and share what they pay monthly? Did you install the equipment or did they install? Is it owned or leased?

Thanks!

KT785

Re: Recommendation for a security system

Post by KT785 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 am

My wife and I chose LiveWatch Security after looking at various options for a few months. We also strongly considered SimpliSafe but in light of the exposed and unfixable "hack" (vulnerability) of that system and its proprietary technology, I decided against it.

Our plan with LiveWatch is $40/month and includes various remote functionality and notifications via our iPhones. Total cost upfront was around $150 IIRC and included the base station, a motion detector, and 10 door/window sensors (we have a large dog so a motion detector wouldn't work on the main floor). I installed all the equipment myself and it took very little time . . . mostly peel and stick the sensors since everything shipped pre-programmed.

Biggest pro of LiveWatch vs. other Alarm.com based system (FrontPoint, Protect America, etc.) for us is that the monthly fees are somewhat less and the contract is only for 1 year as opposed to 3 and I believe you can cancel at anytime.

We've been very happy with LiveWatch thus far. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or want a referral link.

queso

Post by queso » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm

ADT, about $50 or so per month, they installed the equipment and we own it (about 20 sensors).
Last edited by queso on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

We went with Simplisafe. I researched it and didn't think the vulnerabilities were serious enough to worry about.(I'm not likely to be targeted by technically sophisticated thieves despite what TV crime dramas would have us believe) We were primarily after the fire/CO2 monitoring anyway, with the security being a bonus. I don't remember the upfront cost, but it wasn't that much for our needs.(We bought one of the kits plus a few extra sensors, I believe) I think our monthly monitoring bill is only $15. No problems with the system, with a couple of accidental alarms so far, and extremely ease to set up and use.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Smith Thompson. Something like $15/mo billed quarterly. I highly recommend them.