Difficulty reconciling Amazon charges to Chase Amazon Visa

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CFIT

Difficulty reconciling Amazon charges to Chase Amazon Visa

Post by CFIT » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm

I buy a lot of things on Amazon so when I was offered the Chase Amazon Visa I took it. The problem that I'm having now is in reconciling my individual Amazon charges to what appears on my Chase statement. Previously I used a USAA Visa for Amazon charges and as best I can remember reconciling was easy:one item purchased on Amazon resulted in one item on my USAA bill. Chase, though seems to bundle multiple purchases into a single line item on their statement. In other words, a single item on the Chase statement could actually represent three separate Amazon purchases. This really difficult to unscramble when it comes time to reconcile my charges.

Have other people run into this? I've considered going back to my USAA Visa to avoid the hassle.

Thanks!

dbr

Re: Difficulty reconciling Amazon charges to Chase Amazon Visa

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 pm

My statements and order history seem to line up one to one. Maybe I don't have enough orders yet but we are talking a couple of dozen.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 pm

The only time I've seen multiple charges for a single order is when it gets split into multiple shipments w/differing ETA's. Annoying, but worth it for the 5% cash back.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes, it's very difficult if you're a heavy Amazon user. And if you use "subscribe and save" it gets even worse, since the item may appear on your "Order" page nearly a full month before the date it's charged against your card. :annoyed After a couple of years of tedious monthly matching and many phone calls, I'm sorry to say I now just spot check and scan for large charges. Happily, after many years of heavy use, I've never found an Amazon billing error.

emmalinesweets

Post by emmalinesweets » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm

I have a terrible, shameful admission. I stopped using my budget software because the Amazon charges were messing me up! Lame, I know, but they charge for each shipment. So, pretty much what ships in one box gets charged. You can have items from multiple orders, so it is so confusing.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:40 pm

I use one card for all internet purchases and it is not the Chase Amazon Visa. I can always go back to my Amazon account and match each order with each charge. Seems like my Amazon account only combines orders if done at the same time and if sent at the same time. So matching with the card is usually very straight forward.

What you are describing is not acceptable. Throw in some returns and it would be impossible to figure your bill out. Switch cards for 3 months and see if it is easier or if you just thought it was easier. If not, maybe some changes in your purchasing activity would help (like only order 1 thing at a time or something) and see what that does.

froman118

Post by froman118 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:28 pm

The charges are based on shipped packages. I've got the Amazon Store card linked up to Mint and one nice thing is the transaction description actually includes the product names. Makes it easier to split up and categorize without always having to go back to my order history.

CFIT

Post by CFIT » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for the advice, I think that is just what I will do.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm

CFIT wrote:I buy a lot of things on Amazon so when I was offered the Chase Amazon Visa I took it. The problem that I'm having now is in reconciling my individual Amazon charges to what appears on my Chase statement. Previously I used a USAA Visa for Amazon charges and as best I can remember reconciling was easy:one item purchased on Amazon resulted in one item on my USAA bill. Chase, though seems to bundle multiple purchases into a single line item on their statement. In other words, a single item on the Chase statement could actually represent three separate Amazon purchases. This really difficult to unscramble when it comes time to reconcile my charges.

Have other people run into this? I've considered going back to my USAA Visa to avoid the hassle.

Thanks!
I stopped using the chase card on amazon and got the amazon store card. Auto statement credits and no interest deals on large purchases.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm

OP, I'm skeptical. I've always seen charges matched exactly one-to-one with shipments, regardless of card, whether Chase Amazon Visa or something else. Just compare your Amazon orders page (see specifically the amount charged) to the charges on your card.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:OP, I'm skeptical. I've always seen charges matched exactly one-to-one with shipments, regardless of card, whether Chase Amazon Visa or something else. Just compare your Amazon orders page (see specifically the amount charged) to the charges on your card.
But the shipments don't always align with the orders and only the total for the shipment is charged, with no breakdown. So I may order items C,D, and E together. Item C then ships with item B, part of a previous order and is charged together with it, with no breakdown; item D ships and is charged by itself, whereas the total on the Order page is for 3 items, and item E ships with an 2 items from an order I placed the next day and is charged with them, again with no identification on the bill. This is an extreme example, but illustrative of the way they bill. If you order a lot - and I've averaged an item a day in the past when I had home health responsibilities - it's quite confusing. Fortunately I order less now, about half of what I did before, but I've also given up trying to reconcile.

I would try the Amazon Store Card, but I see it's a Synchrony product, and I don't like that company at all.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:14 am

littlebird wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:OP, I'm skeptical. I've always seen charges matched exactly one-to-one with shipments, regardless of card, whether Chase Amazon Visa or something else. Just compare your Amazon orders page (see specifically the amount charged) to the charges on your card.
But the shipments don't always align with the orders and only the total for the shipment is charged, with no breakdown. So I may order items C,D, and E together. Item C then ships with item B, part of a previous order and is charged together with it, with no breakdown; item D ships and is charged by itself, whereas the total on the Order page is for 3 items, and item E ships with an 2 items from an order I placed the next day and is charged with them, again with no identification on the bill. This is an extreme example, but illustrative of the way they bill. If you order a lot - and I've averaged an item a day in the past when I had home health responsibilities - it's quite confusing. Fortunately I order less now, about half of what I did before, but I've also given up trying to reconcile.

I would try the Amazon Store Card, but I see it's a Synchrony product, and I don't like that company at all.
I just don't see a problem. It makes sense to charge as they ship (better than charging earlier), and certainly it's sensible to optimize shipping by splitting and/or combining items. And I don't see how any particular credit card comes into this at all, since Amazon is charging what they are charging regardless of the credit card. You may need to reconcile that Amazon ships what you order, but that is between you and Amazon, and this is nothing to do with the credit card.

I just don't get the OP's logic. The credit card is irrelevant to this, and the thread title misrepresents the situation. It's all to do with Amazon's shipping logistics, and charging per shipment as they ship.

If you have customized requirements for how shipping is arranged I believe you can pay Amazon extra to have these customized shipping requirements met.