iPhone 6S battery issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mattyfu1

iPhone 6S battery issues

Post by mattyfu1 »

Hello!

My phone battery currently goes from 100% to 50% within the initial half hour of use after charging and dies an hour later.
The phone is around 2.5 years old and has no visible issues.

I do not have an upgrade in the near future.
Apple said I would need to buy a new battery. $$$

Wondering if there are any other options?

Thanks,

Mattyfu1
Yooper

Re: iPhone 6S battery issues

Post by Yooper »

For what it's worth, I replaced my wife's iPhone 4s battery the other day for $15 (kit purchased on Amazon) and it's back to holding a charge for about 4 days now. It's 3 years old and for the past year or so a charge (on a Good Day) would last about half the day. Google and Youtube are your friends....... She still won though, I bought her an SE just in case the battery replacement didn't work out so well. Now got to figure out what to do with a "like new" 4s phone.
chmcnm

Post by chmcnm »

Apple had a recall of sorts with their 6s batteries. They would replace only if you bought the phone through Apple, not a carrier. There's a website where you enter your serial number and it tells you if the phone is eligible. If not, you'll have to buy a new battery.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Search online to fix it yourself.

ifixit.com is a good resource for iPhones.

Apple ensures that it's difficult to get quality parts.

Apple tells you that you need a new phone when you don't.

Apple will sell you a refurbished phone for $299 if you give them your old phone.

Apple will fix your phone for pennies on the dollar.

Apple will tell someone else they need a new phone and sell them your fixed phone for $299.

And the cycle continues.

A non-battery issue happened with 3 of the last 4 iPhones I had. I got smart.

Fix it yourself if you can.

Then don't buy any more iPhones/

JT
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.amazon.com/Btopllc-3500mAh- ... ttery+case

OP,

Get an IPhone 6S battery case, it is less than $20 and you do not have to open up your Iphone 6S and try to fix it.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

As chmcnm noted- Apple has a recall out for some 6s batteries, specifically ones that went into the early batches of iPhones. See the following link to find out if you qualify and the next steps to then be taken:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s- ... dshutdown/
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

My phone was under the recall and had the same symptoms. If not it's probably still worth paying the $79 for Apple to replace your battery. You probably spend quite a bit of time and the issue is clearly a nuisance. I wouldn't want to have to go through the process again or damage your phone replacing a potentially low quality battery.
xPat

Post by xPat »

mattyfu1 wrote:My phone battery currently goes from 100% to 50% within the initial half hour of use after charging and dies an hour later.
The phone is around 2.5 years old and has no visible issues.
Not to split hairs, but the the 6S only came out 1.5 years ago... If you bought it around launch time, I would definitely see if it's eligible for a free battery replacement through masteraleph's link.

I just checked my 6S' serial number and it is eligible, though I don't have this issue. Apple's page says "The program covers affected iPhone 6s batteries for 3 years after the first retail sale of the unit." So I'll keep this link handy until October, 2018!
Topic Author
mattyfu1

Post by mattyfu1 »

thanks everyone for the info!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

If you have AppleCare and your phone is less than 2 years old (which it is if it's a 6s), they will replace your phone for free even if you have less than 80% battery capacity, regardless of whether your phone was included in the recall.
Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent »

bluebolt wrote:If you have AppleCare and your phone is less than 2 years old (which it is if it's a 6s), they will replace your phone for free even if you have less than 80% battery capacity, regardless of whether your phone was included in the recall.
They will replace the battery for free in this situation, not the entire phone, unless there is a problem safely removing the battery.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

KlangFool wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Btopllc-3500mAh- ... ttery+case

OP,

Get an IPhone 6S battery case, it is less than $20 and you do not have to open up your Iphone 6S and try to fix it.

KlangFool
This. Had the same issues with mine and ended up being part of the bad batch.
matjen

Post by matjen »

I had the same issues and was part of the recall. They made it pretty easy to have the new battery replaced. I did buy my 6s from Apple direct. Then, 92 days later I brought it in because I was having similar issues. I spent a day on the phone with them wiping and restoring the phone completely twice to no avail first.

Over phone and in-store they confirmed it wasn't a battery issue this time but likely the motherboard or whatever it is called in the phone world. Although "technically" out of warranty they gave me a new 6s.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Topic Author
mattyfu1

Post by mattyfu1 »

KlangFool wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Btopllc-3500mAh- ... ttery+case

OP,

KlangFool
Ended up doing this!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Clark Kent wrote:
bluebolt wrote:If you have AppleCare and your phone is less than 2 years old (which it is if it's a 6s), they will replace your phone for free even if you have less than 80% battery capacity, regardless of whether your phone was included in the recall.
They will replace the battery for free in this situation, not the entire phone, unless there is a problem safely removing the battery.
They replaced my phone, so I guess it's a YMMV situation.

ETA: There wasn't a safety issue; they just brought me out a new (refurbished) phone and set it up.