Dream vacation spots?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
traveler90

Re: Dream vacation spots?

Post by traveler90 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Antarctica - I think I want this to be my first trip in retirement
Safari in Africa - doing in 2018 hopefully
Scuba Dive Great Barrier Reef
Several weeks in Thailand
Climb Mt Fuji
I want to bike through parts of Europe at some point. Shorter routes that only take a week or something.

Overall I actually prefer cities. Ones I want to hit the most: Prague, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Sydney, Bangkok, Tokyo, Tehran, Saint Petersburg, Tbilisi, Buenos Aires, the list goes on.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 am

Bali and southern Thailand are my favorite places.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:50 am

radiowave wrote: 2. Tanzania (Arusha) and Serengeti campout during the migration
I am planning a trip to East Africa in February that will include flying into Arusha/Kilimanjaro and going to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Serengeti. You mention Arusha....was there anything you did in the area besides safari?

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 am

Top 2 on my bucket list left are:
-African safari.... saving this for my 60th birthday, and
-Galapagos. May do this next year for my birthday.

small bucket list items coming up:
-staying at the Sonoma mission inn doing the wine country in Sonoma/Napa
-staying at the Plaza hotel in NY

Some of the other big bucket list experiences I have already done:
Egypt and riding a camel around the Pyramids, sailing on the Nile
Scuba diving the great barrier reef
Parasailing in Bali
Great capitals of Europe: London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Vienna, etc.
Tango festival in Buenos Aires
Kyoto/Tokyo/Hong Kong
Nepal, exploring Kathmandu and the Chitwan jungle
Greek islands
White water rafting in Peru, climbed Machu Picchu (the big mountain)
Skiing at Innsbruck
Dancing in Portugal and Madrid
Singing Karaoke in Singapore
Cycling in Bora Bora, Tahiti

I also want to see Scotland, Alaska, New Zealand, Russia, Prague, Morocco, US national parks like Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am

Bfwolf wrote:
radiowave wrote: 2. Tanzania (Arusha) and Serengeti campout during the migration
I am planning a trip to East Africa in February that will include flying into Arusha/Kilimanjaro and going to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Serengeti. You mention Arusha....was there anything you did in the area besides safari?
Well is was an interesting trip, I took a few students to Africa to work in the local hospital as part of their nursing course work. The downtown area is pretty modest, there is a Masai arts fair close to town that was interesting. We stayed at the main hotel downtown, can't remember the name - don't expect US/European quality.

We lucked out and arrived at the Serengeti at peak migration - what an awesome experience being surrounded by thousands of zebra and wlldebeast. Saw plenty of elephants, lion, leopard, a few cheetah, plenty of antelope, hippos, etc. We camped with a guide and cook, and one morning a giraffe came walking thought the campsite. Quite an experience overall. The crater was interesting but not as much as the Serengeti.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Deals Gap......and the 11 miles that follow.
I assume you mean on a motorcycle...

Honest question: have you ever done the tail of the dragon? When I used to ride I went out there with some friends and it wasn't that much fun. We rode out there to do it (we live about 3.5 hours away) and rode it. The idea is way better than actually doing it. It's always fairly busy and it's SO long that it just gets tedious after a while.

...and then once you're done and sick of it: we had a 3.5 hour ride back to Charlotte.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:46 am

MrNewEngland wrote:

Honest question: have you ever done the tail of the dragon? When I used to ride I went out there with some friends and it wasn't that much fun. We rode out there to do it (we live about 3.5 hours away) and rode it. The idea is way better than actually doing it. It's always fairly busy and it's SO long that it just gets tedious after a while.

...and then once you're done and sick of it: we had a 3.5 hour ride back to Charlotte.
Never done it. Would do it in a car. I'd plan that it would probably be on the way to somewhere (and not tell the wife that this is anything other than the way to get to where we're going). I'd have to have a car other than any we currently have. I sold my Lotus last summer (which would have been the perfect car to drive it).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:

Never done it. Would do it in a car. I'd plan that it would probably be on the way to somewhere (and not tell the wife that this is anything other than the way to get to where we're going). I'd have to have a car other than any we currently have. I sold my Lotus last summer (which would have been the perfect car to drive it).
That's a little different. In a car it may get a little boring but it won't wear you out physically. I'll never do it on a bike again (although my motorcycle days may be over).

MattE

Post by MattE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am

My wife and I are looking at having our first spawn in the next year-ish, so I made a concerted effort to knock out at least one true bucket list-type trip before that happens. Spent two weeks in Japan this past February: 4 days sightseeing in Tokyo, 1 day sightseeing in Sapporo during Yuki Matsuri, and 8 days sidecountry snowboarding all over western\northern Hokkaido in snow conditions unlike anything else I'll see in my life. Worth every cent and every minute of planning (which was substantial).

I'd very much still like to do backpacking trips in Patagonia and Denali and heli-snowboarding in Alaska or the Canadian Rockies.
Last edited by MattE on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 am

The Holy Land (saving dollars here and there for this one, will be a while)
Poland (once the above is knocked out, we'll start on this one)
England (lifelong English history student - thanks dad!)
Africa (we'd love an extended stay to visit with all the friends we have made, do safaris, the jungle, etc.)
China (me more than her, but she's warming up to it)
New Zealand (because of LotR cinematography)

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 am

Christmas Island for Giant Trevally

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Western US.

Buckskin Gulch
North Coyote Butte
South Coyote Butte
White Pockets
Grand Canyon North Rim (Toroweap)

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Space
Stay on target...

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:59 pm

traveler90 wrote:Antarctica - I think I want this to be my first trip in retirement
Safari in Africa - doing in 2018 hopefully
Scuba Dive Great Barrier Reef
Climb Mt Fuji
I want to bike through parts of Europe at some point. Shorter routes that only take a week or something.

Overall I actually prefer cities. Ones I want to hit the most: Prague, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Sydney, Bangkok, Tokyo, Tehran, Saint Petersburg, Tbilisi, Buenos Aires, the list goes on.
Mt Fuji.
My preference is to climb mountains when there will be few if any other people on the route. That said, we opted to climb Mt Fuji during peak crowds (Obon) and found the camaraderie quite enjoyable. In retrospect, quite glad we didn't do it any other way. It was a unique and worthwhile experience. The crowds were so much we did have to queue for about 45 mins to go the last 100 vertical feet and caught the sunrise while we were in the queue.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:11 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
avalpert wrote:
fasteddie911 wrote:
Jimmie wrote: I am more inclined to see more of the USA in much more detail before I use my passport. This country is truly amazing. I still need to visit seven more states before taking credit for being in all 50.
Agreed. I've never really had a strong desire for international travels, maybe a few spots in Europe or Asia that I've visited or want to visit, but not much outside of that. However, I definitely have a strong interest in seeing all that our country has to offer, whether it's cities or natural landscapes. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but I'd take a US National park visit over anything equivalent internationally.
I'd say more than a bit of homer. There is no doubt this country has lots to offer but it is kind of silly to compare the wildlife as Yellowstone (which is great compared to much of the world) to say Kruger, the Serengeti or Mana Pools. Or to compare Mesa Verde to Angkor Wat, Bagan or Machu Pichu.
We have always approach international travel as something to do when younger and while our health is good, then domestic travel once we start having physical restrictions that will make international travel more difficult.
I've taken a similar approach. But I wouldn't define it as international vs domestic. I've tried to tackle the trips that were the most adventurous and demanding when I was youngest. Particularly when those trips involved traveling in common class in public transport across long distances or for substantial periods of times. There are certainly trips I did in my 20s that I wouldn't be as keen to do now in my 40s.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Traveler wrote:I don't know that they're necessarily "dream" destinations, but here are a few on my short list:
Australia
Hong Kong
Cambodia
Vietnam
New Zealand
Bali
Southern Utah national parks, Grand Canyon
I've been to Hong Kong, but otherwise our lists are very similar.

I also want to see Krakow and Dubrovnik.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 pm

One spot I don't see mentioned too often are the "fjords"
off Campbell River, on the east coast of Vancouver Island
Getting out on the water with the strong whirlpools, Orca,
seals, other whale, and eagles as thick as can be, feeding on fish from the massive upwell is a natural miracle

Pasaxoi

Post by Pasaxoi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:45 pm

I love to have my vacation with diving so I choose something like Roatan, Curasao or Maldives.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:50 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Thesues wrote:I love to travel so I have plans to travel a lot as soon as possible.

I like doing many adventurous things, but also relaxing vacations as part of my travels. However many of my dream spots require having good knees - which is not a sure thing.

Following are on my wishlist/bucket-list
-------------------------------------------------
- Nepal - Everest Base Camp Trek
- Nepal - Annapurna Circuit Trek <-- VF: DONE
- Argentina - Climb Aconcagua
- Trekking in Alps <-- VF: DONE (Mont Blanc circuit and Bernese Oberland)
- Canoe through the Amazon
- Climb Mt. Elbrus
- White water rafting in the Grand Canyon
- Paragliding in Switzerland Alps <-- VF: had a chance to try it in 2014 but chickened out
- Go on more Safaris - Namibia - Tanzania - Kenya - South Africa <-- VF: MY Wish List
- Buenos Aires <-- VF: MY Wish List
- Pyramid of Egypt (but it is not stable there any longer)
- New Zealand - trek/hike to see the Lord Of the Ring spots
- Greece history and islands (Santorini)
- Tibet
- Europe - France, Italy, Switzerland, Central and Eastern Europe as well. <-- VF: DONE and continue doing

Following I have done
------------------------------------------
- Most of the USA including Alaska <-- VF: DONE (much of it)
- Nepal - Everest Base Camp Trek - Couldn't finish due to snow <-- VF: Same with me. We did not do the last day's trek due to the new snow.
- Climbed Kilimanjaro
- Serengeti during the big migration
- Nepal - Annapurna Base Camp Trek <-- VF: DONE (Did Annapurna Circuit and ABC in one year)
- Thailand
- Great wall of China
- Paragliding in Himalayas
- India
Great lists! I have inserted some comments about my compliance.

Victoria
@VictoriaF
I'd be very interested in hearing about your experience on Mont Blanc and Annapurna Circuit. If you are so inclined, you can PM me.

OP
This is a great thread. Based on people's ideas, I have added a few items on my bucket list :D

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 am

Thesues wrote: @VictoriaF
I'd be very interested in hearing about your experience on Mont Blanc and Annapurna Circuit. If you are so inclined, you can PM me.
Tour Mont Blanc was in 1995, and my recollection is quite vague. I have some photos and journals but after so many years, my notes are of less practical value than anything you can find on the web.

Annapurna Circuit, with a detour to Annapurna Base Camp, was in 1997. In 1996 I trekked to the Everest Base Camp with a group, we did not make it the last day to the EBC itself due to the snow, and the group turned back to meet the schedule. I realized that if I traveled on my own, I could wait for a few days to make it to the destination. And so in 1997, I arrived to Kathmandu and hired a guide and a porter. We traveled on my schedule, did everything I wanted to do, and it was much cheaper and more fun than traveling with a group.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Thesues wrote:I love to travel so I have plans to travel a lot as soon as possible.

I like doing many adventurous things, but also relaxing vacations as part of my travels. However many of my dream spots require having good knees - which is not a sure thing.

Following are on my wishlist/bucket-list
-------------------------------------------------
- Nepal - Everest Base Camp Trek
- Nepal - Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Argentina - Climb Aconcagua
- Trekking in Alps
- Canoe through the Amazon
- Climb Mt. Elbrus
- White water rafting in the Grand Canyon
- Paragliding in Switzerland Alps
- Go on more Safaris - Namibia - Tanzania - Kenya - South Africa
We enjoyed Botswana and Zambia very much. Namibia is on our bucket list.
- Buenos Aires
- Pyramid of Egypt (but it is not stable there any longer)
Really you would be safe in Egypt. The security will be mind numbing. If you are really worried, don't go to the Cairo Museum (although a new wing has opened for King Tut's tomb?). Don't go to the Christian quarter if you are worried re safety.

Unfortunately, I believe Mt. St, Catherine's is no longer safe to visit.

Luxor and that should be very safe. I have more concerns re the Red Sea (lots of tourists, Sinai itself is not stable).
- New Zealand - trek/hike to see the Lord Of the Ring spots

- Greece history and islands (Santorini)
>>> Mycenae is on the mainland (Schliemann excavated there before doing Troy). Crete has Knossos and the Heraklion Museum, if you interested in pre Dark Age/ Heroic Age Greece. Of Classical Greece-- well you really have to do Delphi (and Athens itself).

Remember Agrigento and that in Sicily are some of the best preserved Greek bits.
- Tibet
- Europe - France, Italy, Switzerland, Central and Eastern Europe as well.
Each one of which could take a lifetime ;-). Of Italy well Venice Florence Rome if you have never seen them. They are all tourist overdone, but retain their grandeur. Picking the right time of year is important. But there's also Siena, Verona and any number of Tuscan and other villages.
Following I have done
------------------------------------------
- Most of the USA including Alaska
- Nepal - Everest Base Camp Trek - Couldn't finish due to snow
- Climbed Kilimanjaro
- Serengeti during the big migration
- Nepal - Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Thailand
- Great wall of China
- Paragliding in Himalayas
- India

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:31 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thesues wrote: @VictoriaF
Tour Mont Blanc was in 1995, and my recollection is quite vague. I have some photos and journals but after so many years, my notes are of less practical value than anything you can find on the web.

Annapurna Circuit, with a detour to Annapurna Base Camp, was in 1997. In 1996 I trekked to the Everest Base Camp with a group, we did not make it the last day to the EBC itself due to the snow, and the group turned back to meet the schedule. I realized that if I traveled on my own, I could wait for a few days to make it to the destination. And so in 1997, I arrived to Kathmandu and hired a guide and a porter. We traveled on my schedule, did everything I wanted to do, and it was much cheaper and more fun than traveling with a group.

Victoria
Mont Blanc has a bit of a record for killing people. Hike with care would be my advice. (like Ben Nevis in Scotland).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:35 pm

traveler90 wrote: Scuba Dive Great Barrier Reef
The word back this week is not good. Massive bleaching on 2/3rds of the reef plus starfish invasion etc. It is dying.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ching-data

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-pictures

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ves-impact
Climb Mt Fuji

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:13 am

avalpert wrote:
fasteddie911 wrote:
Jimmie wrote: I am more inclined to see more of the USA in much more detail before I use my passport. This country is truly amazing. I still need to visit seven more states before taking credit for being in all 50.
Agreed. I've never really had a strong desire for international travels, maybe a few spots in Europe or Asia that I've visited or want to visit, but not much outside of that. However, I definitely have a strong interest in seeing all that our country has to offer, whether it's cities or natural landscapes. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but I'd take a US National park visit over anything equivalent internationally.
I'd say more than a bit of homer. There is no doubt this country has lots to offer but it is kind of silly to compare the wildlife as Yellowstone (which is great compared to much of the world) to say Kruger, the Serengeti or Mana Pools. Or to compare Mesa Verde to Angkor Wat, Bagan or Machu Pichu.
I wasn't trying to compare US vs international destinations, I was simply stating my personal preferences in response to the OP.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:36 am

Cheers from Luhačovice, which may contend for a dream vacation. It is like a Swiss resort at Czech prices.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:53 am

VictoriaF wrote:Cheers from Luhačovice, which may contend for a dream vacation. It is like a Swiss resort at Czech prices.

Victoria
Googled it and clicked images. Very nice! Enjoy! :happy

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Cheers from Luhačovice, which may contend for a dream vacation. It is like a Swiss resort at Czech prices.

Victoria
I čame here on SaturDay and it's getting better and better. So far I had two fantastic masságy, and two more are still to come. Every Day I drink čůrátive water, which is free. On Tuesday and Wednesday I will také speciál minerál baths and inhalations. On Wednesday I will also see a doctor to get Computer Kineziologie evaluation. I Dont have any Medical concerns, but everything is so inexpensive that I try it for the experiene.

I Just wish they removed this computer from my room,
Victoria

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon May 01, 2017 1:52 pm

metacritic wrote:There are lots of threads about favorite vacations ever. What locations are you dreaming of exploring - possibly saving for and possibly just savoring the idea of someday seeing?

For me:

Angkor Wat, Cambodia
Trekking with gorillas in Rwanda
The Bazaruto Archipelago in Mozambique
Kyoto, Japan
Namibia
Salta, Argentina
Maldives (though I wonder if I wouldn't find it a bit dull to be on a small island with little to explore above water in reality)
I plan to visit Angkor Wat in June.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 01, 2017 1:56 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:

Victoria
I čame here on SaturDay and it's getting better and better. So far I had two fantastic masságy, and two more are still to come. Every Day I drink čůrátive water, which is free. On Tuesday and Wednesday I will také speciál minerál baths and inhalations. On Wednesday I will also see a doctor to get Computer Kineziologie evaluation. I Dont have any Medical concerns, but everything is so inexpensive that I try it for the experiene.

Victoria
LOL - yeah - what in blazes are you doing here on Bolgeheads while you are there! This site is for those of us at work who are half-listening to large conference calls or retirees who are waiting for their next vacation.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 pm

fasteddie911 wrote:
Agreed. I've never really had a strong desire for international travels, maybe a few spots in Europe or Asia that I've visited or want to visit, but not much outside of that. However, I definitely have a strong interest in seeing all that our country has to offer, whether it's cities or natural landscapes. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but I'd take a US National park visit over anything equivalent internationally. I've been to Europe a handful of times which were great, but one of my most memorable trips, one that I still daydream about, is a roadtrip I took through Utah, Colorado and Arizona visiting national parks, can't wait to do it again.
I have been in all 50 U.S. states. I am currently focusing on international places. I plan to do detailed U.S. trips again when I am over 70 and not good for challenging international trips anymore.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
LOL - yeah - what in blazes are you doing here on Bolgeheads while you are there! This site is for those of us at work who are half-listening to large conference calls or retirees who are waiting for their next vacation.
Guilty as Charged.
victoria

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 pm

In retirement we take 6+ week long vacation road trips. I highly recommend everyone who is retired go on some long road trip to see the USA up close. This is a big amazing country and everyone should go out and take some time to see it up close and all that it offers. The trips below were two I took. The first I call the Music USA tour. The second trip I call the History tour. Many others talk about the Canyons tour where they go all over Utah and Arizona to the National parks. I am sure others have taken some amazing USA trips. Go out and see the USA.

Music country USA. I started out west in the spring and drove to various cities across the US and attended Music festivals and stopped in towns and pubs across the USA with a focus on music. It is really fun to see the various kinds of music and venues and towns.
Austin - Lots of choices, country western, jazz, blues, RB, rock, etc..
New Orleans - Home of US Jazz and parade walking shows.
Memphis - Beale street is the real deal. Amazing Blues and Elvis all in one town.
Nashville - Downtown is just a blast. Amazing country and cross over every day. And it's almost free.
Key West - Can you say Reggae and Jimmy Buffett?
Phoenix - Country Music with full western flavor.

History Tour USA - We took this tour to visit the east coast and see all this history stuff and visit some friends. Our country really had some amazing leaders back when. They did a lot of good stuff.
Boston - Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims, Paul Revere, North Church, Boston Tea party, Boston Commons, Revolutionary war, etc.
Philadelphia - Constitutional Convention Center, original Constitution and signing, First Congress, Liberty Bell, statue library, revolutionary war, etc.
Washington DC. - Congress, White House, presidential memorials, museums, whole town, etc..

Good Luck