Where to buy new iPhone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J295

Where to buy new iPhone

Post by J295 »

We are replacing one of our phones ..... plan to go to Sam's Club and get a new one guessing their pricing is generally competitive .... we are on the Verizon network ... make sense?

Thanks.
Cheyenne

Re: Where to buy new iPhone

Post by Cheyenne »

I don't think Sam's Club sells iPhones without contracts or plans. I bought my last iPhone at an Apple Store and paid list price for it. For me the freedom of being able to activate it on any carrier with out a contract, and to take it to the "Genius Bar" for support is worth it.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

They are generally the same price everywhere.

But if you buy through a provider you are likely to get a phone locked to that provider making it difficult to switch to a different company. They will unlock your phones but it can be a hassle. I think if you get a phone at Sams Club or Costco you are actually buying through a reseller for the phone companies so likely to get a locked phone.

Since the price is generally the same I always just buy unlocked phones from the Apple Store. You may not have one convenient to you but you can get one from Apple via mail order in a day or two.

But if you are already on Verizon and have no plans to switch, just go to your nearest Verizon store. It will be the same price as Sams Club.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I bought our unlocked iPhones from Apple. My brother and his wife got their iPhones from a friend who got an Apple employee discount. I think the discount was 25%. I convinced my brother to get an unlocked phone and he is pleased as he as able to cut his bill in half by switching from AT&T to cricket.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

do you qualify for any trade in deals for verizon?
the iphone 8 will be announced in sept, so you are already halfway through an update cycle. would wait as well (either to get 7 cheaper or latest and greatest)
furwut

Post by furwut »

I was able to take advantage of the AT&T Access More Citibank credit card sign up offer to get $650 off my last iPhone :happy.

This deal may no longer exist but it's worth searching thru FatWallet.com for similar ones.
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

I got a Iphone 5C online from Virgin Mobile for $600 a few years back. Sold the same phone for just under $200 on eBay 2 years later. That might be a good place to look if you want a deal, but of course, be specific about yours needing to be on Verizon.

I bought a unlocked Samsung S7 at Best Buy for between 600 and 700 dollars. I have put my Tracphone SIM card in it(had to cut it to fit) but it works like a charm. Now, I can use the phone for $10 a month on Tracphone. If you can do that with the iPhone, you may save some money. Not sure if Apple allows that, but I think they do if you buy it unlocked.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

Recently purchased a new iPhone online through Best Buy and received a $160 Best Buy gift card. Believe Sam's Club / Costco have similar, limited offers.

Added phone to an existing line (upgrade) and distributed the cost of 24 months (basically, 0% financing).
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

J295 wrote:We are replacing one of our phones ..... plan to go to Sam's Club and get a new one guessing their pricing is generally competitive .... we are on the Verizon network ... make sense?

Thanks.
Check out Consumercellular.com for their pricing. They may not discount the phone but the talk, text and data plan is cheaper. I switched to an Android with them.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

S bought our iPhones at the Apple Store using his Discover Card. He got 10% discount or maybe it was more and a warranty via the credit card, so Discover reimbursed for replacing cracked phone screens. That was 1/2016, so you have to check current promotions. We like that the phone is totally unlocked and works with all carriers and was purchased with NO contact.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I bought mine straight from Apple. Did not want to worry about counterfeits or DOA or other issues.
Iphone7 plus.
Pricey but wonderful.
My lst Iphone. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
chmcnm

Post by chmcnm »

Apple store. It's unlocked and if there's any type of recall or improvements they'll fix it (think iPhone 6s battery). If you get it from a carrier they won't.
Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent »

chmcnm wrote:Apple store. It's unlocked and if there's any type of recall or improvements they'll fix it (think iPhone 6s battery). If you get it from a carrier they won't.
The warranty is not at all dependent on where you purchase your iPhone and any replacement program will be valid as well. The only issue is if you buy somewhere that isn't an Apple authorized reseller (such as Home Shopping Network) and the only issue that causes is the purchase date is when THEY buy it, potentially starting the one year warranty long before you buy it. This does not change eligibility for replacement programs.

So feel free to buy wherever you can get the best deal that is authorized - and that includes basically every carrier, electronic store, big box store.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

When the 7 came out, I got it on release day for free from Verizon. All I had to do was send them my old 6 and I got a bill credit equal to the purchase price of the 7. I have not seen a better deal since.

kjvm
chmcnm

Post by chmcnm »

Clark Kent wrote:
chmcnm wrote:Apple store. It's unlocked and if there's any type of recall or improvements they'll fix it (think iPhone 6s battery). If you get it from a carrier they won't.
The warranty is not at all dependent on where you purchase your iPhone and any replacement program will be valid as well. The only issue is if you buy somewhere that isn't an Apple authorized reseller (such as Home Shopping Network) and the only issue that causes is the purchase date is when THEY buy it, potentially starting the one year warranty long before you buy it. This does not change eligibility for replacement programs.

So feel free to buy wherever you can get the best deal that is authorized - and that includes basically every carrier, electronic store, big box store.
Not in my case. My son had the 6s battery issue where it would spontaneously shutdown. His serial number was one of the phones with the defective battery. We took it to the local Apple store (where I've bought numerous iPad, iPhones, MacBooks, etc) and they wouldn't replace the battery because he bought it at Verizon. If it was bought through Apple they would've replaced the battery. I thought it was BS but that's where it ended.
Last edited by chmcnm on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

You can get an iPhone from Apple at a discount if you buy a refurbished one:

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/s ... als/iphone
Best Wishes, | Joe
Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent »

chmcnm wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:

Not in my case. My son had the 6s battery issue where it would spontaneously shutdown. His serial number was one of the phones with the defective battery. We took it to the local Apple store (where I've bought numerous iPad, iPhones, MacBooks, etc) and they wouldn't replace the battery because he bought it at Verizon. If it was bought through Apple they would've replaced the battery. I thought it was BS but that's where it ended.
If that's the case then a quick call to AppleCare or talk with a manager would have resolved it and gotten the repair as that is definitely not following the SOP for the program. The only thing that justifies a denial of service are devices modified with non-Apple parts or liquid damage.

There is absolutely no truth to the fact that a device purchased at a carrier is a reason for exclusion in a repair extension program and you either had a misinformed technician or there was some other reason to disqualify the device.
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

A lot of good comments above. I bought my current iphone 6 at Costco. It went off contract in Feb and I'm going to wait until fall to get the new iphone which is rumored to have a much improved camera.

A friend told me last week that he obtained a leased iPhone from the Apple Store that included some replacement benefits. He felt like the cost was competitive with what you get from major carriers. I was going to check into that but have not yet done so.

The refurbished equipment purchased from Apple comes with a fully warranty (their AppleCare Protection Plan is $129 for 2 yrs and I am sorry I didn't buy it. These phones are delicate and after 2 yrs start to show it). Several years ago I bought a refurb iPad 2 online from Apple, fully warranty, something like $100 cheaper, shipped from Hong Kong and arrived quickly. I was pleased. Currently thinking about an iMac. The refubs seem to be $50 - $150 cheaper. I don't feel like that is sufficient benefit and if I buy one it will be a new one.
carofe

Post by carofe »

You can get really good deals on ebay. We save a lot of money by going prepaid with verizon and buying our phones on ebay. I recently bought two iPhone 5s, one of them brand new and the other one used but in perfect condition.
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
kellykline

Post by kellykline »

carofe wrote:You can get really good deals on ebay. We save a lot of money by going prepaid with verizon and buying our phones on ebay. I recently bought two iPhone 5s, one of them brand new and the other one used but in perfect condition.
Be very careful with eBay - I've been sold fake goods on there before... there's a reason it's cheaper to buy things there, risk of getting counterfeit or used items being branded as new.
denovo

Post by denovo »

The only rebate I see right now is a modest 25 dollar one from Costco.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

J295 wrote:We are replacing one of our phones ..... plan to go to Sam's Club and get a new one guessing their pricing is generally competitive .... we are on the Verizon network ... make sense?

Thanks.
Beware that you might be essentially leasing your phone, especially at Verizon at Sams Club or Costco. They don't tell you this, but you get charged a lot more in exchange for the right to turn in your phone early and get a new one. But the payments continue.

JT
dependapotamus

Post by dependapotamus »

I bought my iPhone 6S Plus unlocked from Best Buy. The price at Best Buy was above what Apple was charging, but it was no problem to get a price match. I was also able to use some gift cards I bought at a discount along with some of their loyalty program points to reduce the cost. And of course, as a credit card churner the cost of the phone went a long way toward completing a signup bonus.
victorb

Post by victorb »

I bought one from Costco with a Verizon contract. I was going Verizon anyway and Costco had a promotion on for the iPhone with Otter case, glass overlay and a $350 Costco Cash Card. It was a good deal to what I could get elsewhere.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

When I am ready for a phone upgrade, I like to browse the smartphone site on Techbargains.com.

https://www.techbargains.com/category/3 ... martphones

This may be an opportunity to switch to a lower cost provider. Pay full retail for the iPhone but save monthly.

You can buy a new iPhone 7 at CricketWireless.com for essentially retail price. But, the plan is $35/month (1 phone) or $70/month for 2 phones. That might be a pretty big savings over your current plan.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

In January, I got an iphone 7 at the Verizon store for $10 per month for 2 years.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Cheyenne wrote:For me the freedom of being able to activate it on any carrier with out a contract, and to take it to the "Genius Bar" for support is worth it.
Verizon devices are not locked. Not buying directly from Apple does not prevent one from using a Genius Bar for support. It's still an Apple product and supported by Apple.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

chmcnm wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:

I had an older iPhone (5 if I recall) purchased at AT&T. When a battery recall for that iPhone was announced, I got it fixed at the local Apple Store without an issue. And as mentioned above, getting a Genius appointment is not dependent on buying the iPhone at an Apple Store.

If Apple told me that a recall would not be honored because I didn't buy the product at an Apple Store, I would (1) escalate the issue, and (2) no longer buy Apple products.

BTW, bought my last three iPhones at a discount - two iPhone 6s in a BOGO offer with AT&T, and a iPhone 7 at Sam's that got me a $300 gift card. Buying an iPhone at full price these days doesn't seem very "Bogleheadish" to me. :D
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

kellykline wrote:
carofe wrote:You can get really good deals on ebay. We save a lot of money by going prepaid with verizon and buying our phones on ebay. I recently bought two iPhone 5s, one of them brand new and the other one used but in perfect condition.
Be very careful with eBay - I've been sold fake goods on there before... there's a reason it's cheaper to buy things there, risk of getting counterfeit or used items being branded as new.
The risk of a fake iPhone is probably small ... but the risk of an getting an iPhone where the original owner quit making the installment payments, resulting in the iPhone being deactivated / blocked by the carrier in a few months, is rather high.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Electroni ... -p/2714753
carofe

Post by carofe »

jrbdmb wrote:
kellykline wrote:
The risk of a fake iPhone is probably small ... but the risk of an getting an iPhone where the original owner quit making the installment payments, resulting in the iPhone being deactivated / blocked by the carrier in a few months, is rather high.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Electroni ... -p/2714753
I have been buying and selling phones on ebay for a while. Never had a issue with stolen items. eBay has a rating system and feedback with history for a reason. You need to use it. I also usually buy old models, not the latest shiny one. I guess that helps.
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob »

Since the OP has been answered well enough, I'd request answer to a slightly different question.

I'm looking to get the iPhone 7, but only after the newer one comes out. Any strategy as to when are the best deals for those? Looks like I'll go the eBay route for a slightly used one.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

slbnoob wrote: I'm looking to get the iPhone 7, but only after the newer one comes out. Any strategy as to when are the best deals for those? Looks like I'll go the eBay route for a slightly used one.
Maybe they'll be available at Apple's refurb site at that time. The refurb site currently has iPhone 6S.

Refurbished iPhones: http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/s ... als/iphone
Wiki
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

slbnoob wrote:Since the OP has been answered well enough, I'd request answer to a slightly different question.

I'm looking to get the iPhone 7, but only after the newer one comes out. Any strategy as to when are the best deals for those? Looks like I'll go the eBay route for a slightly used one.
I usually check the local Craigslist, Cell Phone - By Owner before heading to eBay.

If you see an iPhone 7 for your carrier or unlocked that is in your ballpark price range, email them. Once you find out you are emailing with a human, throw out an offer and see how much they need to sell. I offer cash with how much I want to pay. If it doesn't work, walk away. Is the apple ID removed? You can check the ESN online for activation. Ask them if they bought unlocked or through a carrier.

If that is too much work, then eBay or other refurbished sellers or from Apple direct.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread. I'm on verizon and am considering a new iPhone. Verizon offers a SE for 99cents, a 6S for $99 and a 7 for 199. These are new not refurb or used. The Apple refurb site offers a 6S for 449. Swappa has a 6S for $270 or a 7 for $450, used of course.

Is a 2yr contract considered so bad that the Verizon offers are not that attractive? These are new phones and I won't likely be moving off of Verizon anyway. Really confused as to how someone sells a used iPhone 7 on Swappa for $450.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Jim85 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 am I know I'm resurrecting an old thread. I'm on verizon and am considering a new iPhone. Verizon offers a SE for 99cents, a 6S for $99 and a 7 for 199. These are new not refurb or used. The Apple refurb site offers a 6S for 449. Swappa has a 6S for $270 or a 7 for $450, used of course.

Is a 2yr contract considered so bad that the Verizon offers are not that attractive? These are new phones and I won't likely be moving off of Verizon anyway. Really confused as to how someone sells a used iPhone 7 on Swappa for $450.
You pay more for the cell service if you go on a contract.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

emoore wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am
Jim85 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 am I know I'm resurrecting an old thread. I'm on verizon and am considering a new iPhone. Verizon offers a SE for 99cents, a 6S for $99 and a 7 for 199. These are new not refurb or used. The Apple refurb site offers a 6S for 449. Swappa has a 6S for $270 or a 7 for $450, used of course.

You pay more for the cell service if you go on a contract.
Exactly. I pay $19.99 / month for a single iPhone on Verizon's towers via an MVNO. Zero taxes or fees beyond that. I doubt you can get such a deal with a 2 year commitment from Verizon themselves.

If I took advantage of Verizon's "deals" I'd end up paying far more in the end.
vinvedi

Post by vinvedi »

Apple also sells refurbished phones directly; new screen and battery included. They are discounted 15% from new phone prices and come with full warranty. You could also add Apple Care. The phones ship to nearby Apple store or your home. You could get them activated for any network. More savings if you use 5% cash back promotions for Apple Store online purchases that credit card companies run from time to time. Apple would also buy your old iPhone if you complete the transaction in store within 48-72 hours of online purchase.
pondering

Post by pondering »

What iPhone would you buy now to replace an iPhone 5S?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Direct from Apple.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
emoore

Post by emoore »

pondering wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:06 pm What iPhone would you buy now to replace an iPhone 5S?
That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking about the last week. So far I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m waiting until the next iPhone release. Not enough new stuff in the 8 and too much new stuff in the X. We will see what phones are released next year.
pondering

Post by pondering »

My wife needs an upgrade from 16 GB model, I can probably muddle for another year with mine.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I recently took advantage of the "iPhone 8" fever.

Picked up an iPhone 6s 64gb (Rose Gold) for $200 on Craigslist. Saw the ad pop in, texted with a full cash offer, met the guy 15 min later.

This was a quite good deal, but I found someone "who just wanted to get something" for the phone after his wife upgraded. I could probably flip it for $350. Not going to do that.

Right now, the 6s is still a very viable phone in the 32gb or 64gb (or 128gb) size. 7's are still $500+. As the 8's start to ship, then people will be dumping their 6s and 7 and hopefully the prices continue to drop.