Master directory [for important documents]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pablolo

Master directory [for important documents]

Post by pablolo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 am

Is there a website or link that I can use to group together all my important financial, legal documents ?

jebmke

Re: Master directory

Post by jebmke » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 am

You might want to elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish.

One alternative might be Evernote.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:45 am

I wish to organize all my estate planning documents onto a few pages to fill in the information and to digitize it also for my heirs

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 am

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for but Fidelity offers an free online repository for documents called FidSafe.

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:47 am

prudent,yes fidsafe fits the bill. do you have to have an account at fidelity to use it? I just want simplicity. least amount of pages to fill in pertaining to what should go into estate planning documents. what about digitized ? thank you

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 am

I don't use it personally. You don't need an account at Fidelity to sign up. It appears you can upload any type of file - PDF, scanned, etc. It does not appear to support a "fill-in-the-blanks" type of feature - just files from your computer that you upload.

You will want to read their Frequently Asked Questions page which is quite comprehensive.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Master directory [for important documents]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:33 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (document storage). I also retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:11 am

How well would something like Dropbox or Google Drive work for you? Or Evernote, as jebmke mention. What requirements would those not meet?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 am

^^^ Those accounts generally terminate at time of death. The intent of FidSafe is for use after death "Shared after death". All you need to do is fill out some paperwork and send them a death certificate.

Also note that FidSafe will respond to legal processes. See the Terms of Service:
Examples of “legal process” include but are not limited to a subpoena, warrant, government request for information, forfeiture, or seizure, injunction, or restraining order.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.