Health Insurance two states NY and NM

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
havehad

Health Insurance two states NY and NM

Post by havehad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi,

I am easing into retirement and will be spending time between NY city and New Mexico
over the next two years. There will be no fixed pattern. I will retain NY as my tax
residence, because I intend to sell real estate I own here that has gone up in value and
would like to get the tax exempt sale within the next five years. My time will not be predictably split for at least two more years. I will end COBRA coverage this summer and then make a choice for coverage. I will not qualify for any subsidies. I like my Doctors in NY and would like to maintain them, but also need periodic checkups and bloodwork for a chronic condition. So it would be helpful to have either a primary or cardio
doctor in NM as well. Most plans I am looking at only cover emergency coverage when
you are out of your state area. Does anyone know of any plans that cover NY and NM.

Figure in two years Medicare and a decision on where I want to live full time will sort itself out but in the interim,looking for a solution. Thanks for your help.

adamthesmythe

Re: Health Insurance two states NY and NM

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Some Blue Cross plans allow you to access providers across the country. What you want is a PPO plan that has a suitcase with the letters PPO in it in the lower right hand corner of the card.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm

My Mom moved from Mass to NM and kept her same fee-for-service Medicare with Blue Cross Medigap. All went smoothly. But it sounds like you are not quite Medicare-age yet?

If you end up on Medicare in NM, consider Presbyterian Medicare Advantage.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 pm

It sounds like you need a PPO insurance plan rather than an HMO based in NY or NM. AFAIK all ACA compliant insurance must cover emergency medical services, but if it were me, I'd want to have more than just emergency care covered by insurance.

Note that dropping COBRA coverage because you don't want it any more or can't afford it is not a qualifying event for obtaining individual ACA coverage - either on or off the exchanges. From what I have learned only the expiration of a COBRA policy is a qualifying event. You can always sign up in open enrollment for coverage starting at the beginning of a calendar year.
De gustibus non est disputandum

havehad

Post by havehad » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks for the thoughts. My COBRA ends in August. So it is a qualifying event.
Found a Blue Cross Blue Card but that is only if you spend more than 3 month in one place.
My schedule is less predictable for the next few years. Once, I have more control, I will
be 65, and can stay settled. Really, looking here for first hand experience. The
Presbyterian tip is great. That's what I hear when I ask in NM.

I'll keep checking in. Your help is appreciated.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:59 am

Agree on the PPO. Our plan is with a local non profit insurer in upstate ny but our plan has a national network rider that is widely accepted. I know it's accepted in Boston where my daughter lives (she's on our plan).

havehad

Post by havehad » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks. Any New Mexicans/ New Yorkers out there with firsthand experience?

My COBRA time is up in August. Trying to get ducks in a row.
So tips like Presbyterian and firsthand is important. There aren't many PPO plans on
the individual market out there. And the phone help is so unsure of this situation.
And with all the snowbirds out there, this two state coverage can't be that rare.

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:20 am

Another vote for Presbyterian. Almost a year ago had a family emergency while visiting. The EMT guys, in particular, were just great.

Lev

havehad

Post by havehad » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks. Looks like there PPO plans are impossible to find on the individual market.
May have to declare which state I want to live in.