BEHR Premium Deckover

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mattyfu1

BEHR Premium Deckover

Post by mattyfu1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello Everyone,

It has been 2 winter seasons since I painted my deck with BEHR Premium Deckover.
My deck is currently peeling very badly and looks horrible. I followed all instructions, two coats etc.

I have followed up with BEHR to procure a refund.

Wanted to spread the word.

Best,

MattyFu

barnaclebob

Re: BEHR Premium Deckover

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Never use a film forming product on a deck. None of them will last.

I'm happy with a product called one time wood but will need a reapplication to horizontal surfaces this summer about 6 years after first application and 2 years overdue...

They promise 7 years but every other product seems to need reapplication every 2 or 3 years. I have not done a reapplication yet so I can't say how that will go...
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattyfu1

Post by mattyfu1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:43 pm

*I live in New York, beach community on Long Island.

mattyfu1

Post by mattyfu1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

barnaclebob wrote:Never use a film forming product on a deck. None of them will last.

I'm happy with a product called one time wood but will need a reapplication to horizontal surfaces this summer about 6 years after first application and 2 years overdue...
thanks for info!

basr518

Post by basr518 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm

BEHR is just bad. Where do you live? Has it been lower than 40 overnight? The coatings won't cure well to whatever surface your appying the top coat to if it's too cold. But it shouldn't peel right away either. Did you sand before hand? Full disclosure, I used to work for Sherwin Williams. I learned spending $ and doing prep work saves time and $ down the road. Sorry you had such a lousy experience.
The Best Way to teach your kids about taxes is by eating 30% of their ice cream | — Bill Murray

Steven in NC

Post by Steven in NC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Would be very interested in hearing about solutions that really work to bring an old deck surface back to life. Is it ok to just cover existing deck boards with new boards for a deck with a roof over it? Thanks.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Doesn't surprise me-----Behr's 100% acrylic products are superb on vertical surfaces like siding, but don't hold-up on horizontal surfaces. FWIW, the best product I've found for decks is PPG's Ultra Advanced semi-transparent stain and sealant.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:55 pm

All the stuff that gets said over and over again about surface prep being what usually makes or breaks a painting project applies at least doubly so for horizontal surfaces that are directly exposed to the weather, don't shed water effectively, and get walked on. That means scrubbing, pressure washing, or scraping as much of the old loose finish off as possible, using an effective cleaning product (perhaps twice even), ensuring the surface is fully dry, and applying at as close to ideal weather conditions as possible.
Steven in NC wrote:Would be very interested in hearing about solutions that really work to bring an old deck surface back to life. Is it ok to just cover existing deck boards with new boards for a deck with a roof over it? Thanks.
Unfortunately, there's a significant longevity and maintenance argument to be made for accepting the cost and inferior appearance of composite decking.

Double layering a covered deck doesn't seem like it would be a major regret, but if you're spending the money on new lumber and taking the time to secure it, the labor of removing the old boards doesn't seem that bad to me. I admit that cleaning screwheads filled with old stain out with a pick so you can actually remove them is no fun at all, but working piecemeal you get through it.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 pm

mattyfu1 wrote:Hello Everyone,

It has been 2 winter seasons since I painted my deck with BEHR Premium Deckover.
My deck is currently peeling very badly and looks horrible. I followed all instructions, two coats etc.

I have followed up with BEHR to procure a refund.

Wanted to spread the word.

Best,

MattyFu
This stuff? The reviews aren't that great. Did you read many reviews prior to install?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium ... /206031374

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

If you're tired of peeling, I've had good success with a product called Ready Seal.

Benefits: the extreme ease of application (you cannot mess it up), even coverage, and it penetrates deep into the wood. You can throw this stuff into a sprayer and spray it on. Seriously.

Drawbacks: it does not seal or cure the surface of the wood. Because it does not seal, it offers poor UV protection and you must reapply it every year to year and a half to retain the color. However, because it is not a sealer, you will never have issues with peeling.

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 am

I put Deckover on a weathered 17-year old, treated, SYP deck three years ago and it has held up very well. I am extremely pleased with the result. We are in NC, so that might make a difference as well as the preparation.

plannerman

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 am

I learned not to use thick coatings on decks, also no Epoxy on garage floors. I am happy to scrape off any loose paint on decks every 3 years and use a solid stain from Behr applying it with a paint roller. This stain will seal exposed wood, soaks into it and makes me happy for 2-3 years. Nothing is perfect, but work is not too difficult to do. When applying paint/stain on decks you have to have all loose paint off, and it has to be hot and dry weather- will do it again this summer.

mikeast

Post by mikeast » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:27 pm

These acrylic deck resurfacers (Behr Deck Over, Olympic Rescue It, and especially Rustoleum Restore 10X) are notorious for adhesion problems. They require near perfect preparation and weather conditions at application or they don't hold up for long. The main reason for peeling is moisture under the product freezing during the winter months, which will make it pop right up. If you have to use the stuff, I would prime the deck with "Rustoleum Deck Start" first. This will increase your chances of success. If your wood is in decent condition--stick with an oil-based deck stain.