Off-line Budgeting software for Mac

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
samjuno

Off-line Budgeting software for Mac

Post by samjuno » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a recent budgeting program that doesn't store data in the Cloud & can run on a Mac? I already have YNAB, but after several years, I'm ready to move on. It seems most of the ones I've read about store your data on their servers. I just want something on my laptop & I don't even require downloading from financial institutions.

-sam

KT785

Re: Off-line Budgeting software for Mac

Post by KT785 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:23 am

I use Quicken 2017 for my Mac--though I leverage automatic downloads from my various financial institutions as well as cloud sync for my iPhone and iPad. That said, I imagine one can use it without either of these features and rely only on manual entry. I've also heard positive things about Banktivity (I think it was previously called iBank) though it has the same connectivity features of Quicken . . . . again, I imagine you don't have to use them and could rely on manual entry.

The simplest solution might be to just use Excel (or Numbers) since you already likely have access to those tools. I suspect you could create your own template or find one online that you could pop into a spreadsheet and adapt to your own needs.

targ

Post by targ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 am

MoneyDance.
Runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux so you can keep all your data intact if you ever swap platforms.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 am

samjuno wrote:I already have YNAB, but after several years, I'm ready to move on.
You haven't given a single criteria for what you're looking for, which makes it impossible for anyone to give a real recommendation.

YNAB is the best off-line budgeting software for Mac so you'd need to explain what you find lacking about it and then others can give suggestions that fill those gaps.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35 am

samjuno wrote:Can anyone recommend a recent budgeting program that doesn't store data in the Cloud & can run on a Mac? I already have YNAB, but after several years, I'm ready to move on. It seems most of the ones I've read about store your data on their servers. I just want something on my laptop & I don't even require downloading from financial institutions.

-sam
Have you looked in the App Store on your Mac? There are many there. Maybe googling for reviews of them might help.

YNAB comes up as one of the best so I agree with others ... what don't you like?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 am

BankActivity (used to be called iBank).

Available in App Store.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 am

kjvmartin wrote:BankActivity (used to be called iBank).

Available in App Store.
Banktivity*. Version 6 just came out in beta.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Calygos wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:BankActivity (used to be called iBank).

Available in App Store.
Banktivity*. Version 6 just came out in beta.
I don't think I've bothered with any updates in a while. I use it offline and have no use for any new-fangled features. It's a good alternative to Quicken for (I think) a bit less $$

trigger08

Post by trigger08 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Another recommendation to check out Banktivity. I've been using it for a few years now after giving up on Quicken, but just started using it for budgeting a couple of months ago. It has an option to view your budget in the form of the "envelope" method, if that is something you liked about YNAB.

samjuno

Post by samjuno » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 am

Thanks for suggestions.
I've always felt YNAB was good for budgeting, but in the future I was hoping to find something with more features & better graphics, which includes investments and taxes. After reading reviews, it seems like doing my own spreadsheet (as previously suggested) might work better for investments. Might wait to check out the new Banktivity.

-sam