can't logon to vanguard account [Website Down]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RetireBy55

Is Vanguard down this AM (7/9/17)?

Post by RetireBy55 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:53 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Anyone else having trouble logging into Vanguard's website this AM?

I first got the "your account is temporarily unavailable" message on both my and DW's logins.

Now, when I enter either username and password it just hangs.

I tried closing my browser (FF), clearing the cache and no change (other than now hanging vs saying temp unavailable).

They really need some sort of way for us to know if they are doing IT work that affects logins as it's pretty disconcerting to not be able to log in - would be nice to know if it's just me and something is whacked with my account or if it's a system wide issue.

Thanks..

JDTHOOSIER

Re: Is Vanguard down this AM (7/9/17)?

Post by JDTHOOSIER » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:02 am

RetireBy55 wrote:Anyone else having trouble logging into Vanguard's website this AM?

I first got the "your account is temporarily unavailable" message on both my and DW's logins.

Now, when I enter either username and password it just hangs.

I tried closing my browser (FF), clearing the cache and no change (other than now hanging vs saying temp unavailable).

They really need some sort of way for us to know if they are doing IT work that affects logins as it's pretty disconcerting to not be able to log in - would be nice to know if it's just me and something is whacked with my account or if it's a system wide issue.

Thanks..
I see the same thing. So it's either system maintenance, or a system issue they are addressing. Either way, they are not exactly informative - they should be putting up some outage page of a sort.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:29 am

OK for me at this moment.

I agree that Vanguard (and other places) make a big mistake when they seemingly assume that nobody is going to notice a brief outage on a Sunday morning. It's surprisingly common--I occasionally notice weird behavior on morningstar.com and it's almost always on a Sunday. I can't believe a big company can't manage to find some old IBM PC-AT they could use as a web server just powerful enough to serve a "down for maintenance, back soon" message.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:57 am

I get this:

"Site maintenance is underway

The site isn't available right now because we're doing some routine maintenance and adding enhancements to improve your online experience.

Thanks for your patience."

Rebecca_Katz

Post by Rebecca_Katz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am

Hi, Bogleheads. My apologies for the inconvenience this morning. We know some clients are having difficulty accessing their accounts as a result of an update over the weekend. We are working to make sure all clients are able to log back in as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep you informed.

Thank you!

Rebecca Katz
Principal, Vanguard

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 am

I had no trouble logging in. Besides, it's totally normal for many websites to go down occasionally for maintenance.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 am

While I agree that websites need routine maintenance, it should not be difficult to have it announced on a page that service is/will be down for routine maintenance. Routine means known in advance not an emergency so easy to let users know.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:37 am

Rebecca_Katz wrote:Hi, Bogleheads. My apologies for the inconvenience this morning. We know some clients are having difficulty accessing their accounts as a result of an update over the weekend. We are working to make sure all clients are able to log back in as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep you informed.

Thank you!

Rebecca Katz
Principal, Vanguard
Personally I find it impressive that someone from Vanguard monitors this discussion board and posts status messages... on a Sunday morning no less.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:43 am

NightFall wrote:
Rebecca_Katz wrote:Hi, Bogleheads. My apologies for the inconvenience this morning. We know some clients are having difficulty accessing their accounts as a result of an update over the weekend. We are working to make sure all clients are able to log back in as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep you informed.

Thank you!

Rebecca Katz
Principal, Vanguard
Personally I find it impressive that someone from Vanguard monitors this discussion board and posts status messages... on a Sunday morning no less.
We've known for a long time that Vanguard employees most definitely read the BH forum. They've told us that at the BH meetings held each October in Philly. But I have to say that this is the first time I've seen one of them actually post something and I applaud Ms Katz for doing so. Bravo!
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:51 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:I had no trouble logging in. Besides, it's totally normal for many websites to go down occasionally for maintenance.
Exactly. My 401k website goes down once every month or two for a day (usually Sunday). Not sure why people panic because they can't check their balance on a Sunday.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:02 am

At 10:00 am, vanguard.com is working for me. Just logged in.

If you ever have trouble logging into any site, it is best to just wait a couple hours and try again. Very common on weekends for sites to be temporarily down for maintenance. I run into that all the time with credit card accounts. Nothing to be concerned about.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 am

I've always wondered how many new clients and inflows the boglehead site brings into Vanguard when people find this site through web searches and word of mouth.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:31 am

It could be that it would be helpful if Vanguard had an understood policy that the website or individual account log on would be unavailable on some scheduled regular basis and that schedule displayed on the main front page,say for midnight to 2:00 AM on a couple of weekdays or perhaps 6:00 to 9:00 on Sunday mornings. Although with the availability with IT services being limited perhaps it would have to be during traditional working hours.
I think that the business (Voya) Arlington County VA uses for its Employee Deferred Comp. programs does that-every night.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 am

Down for me in east Tennessee at 10:50 AM EDT

(EDIT)

Just tried again, all appears normal as of 10:52 AM
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Rebecca_Katz

Post by Rebecca_Katz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:58 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:Down for me in east Tennessee at 10:50 AM EDT

(EDIT)

Just tried again, all appears normal as of 10:52 AM
I saw your "edit" -- you should be able to access our site now. Thank you for your understanding.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:59 am

BolderBoy wrote:
NightFall wrote:

Thank you!

Rebecca Katz
Principal, Vanguard
We've known for a long time that Vanguard employees most definitely read the BH forum. They've told us that at the BH meetings held each October in Philly. But I have to say that this is the first time I've seen one of them actually post something and I applaud Ms Katz for doing so. Bravo!
The above.

Thank you Ms Katz and Vanguard, for the updated information.

More of this would be excellent, and go a long way to improving your service image - and your clients' actual service experiences.
(It was also be nice to have better training for the phone reps, but that's a bigger task...)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:01 am

BolderBoy wrote:
NightFall wrote:

Thank you!

Rebecca Katz
Principal, Vanguard
+1. Very impressed to see prompt response from Rebecca Katz. Both this forum and Vanguard have gone up in my estimation. Thanks Rebecca.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 am

It's not like Vanguard suddenly lost your money when the website is down. Sometimes routine maintenance turns into something else unexpectedly or just doesn't go as planned. If Vanguard announced ahead of time every change or update that might affect service we'd all be complaining about receiving multiple emails per day from Vanguard and their phones would be flooded with people asking "what does this mean to me???" I know, in my much smaller world I got a few of those when I sent an email about some website configuration changes that I'll be making tonight. I already know one of the updates will break something that I don't know how to fix yet, but that feature isn't directly customer-facing so I just hope everything that is will work. But it might not. The world will go on somehow.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

tibbitts wrote:It's not like Vanguard suddenly lost your money when the website is down. Sometimes routine maintenance turns into something else unexpectedly or just doesn't go as planned. If Vanguard announced ahead of time every change or update that might affect service we'd all be complaining about receiving multiple emails per day from Vanguard and their phones would be flooded with people asking "what does this mean to me???" I know, in my much smaller world I got a few of those when I sent an email about some website configuration changes that I'll be making tonight. I already know one of the updates will break something that I don't know how to fix yet, but that feature isn't directly customer-facing so I just hope everything that is will work. But it might not. The world will go on somehow.
Right.

But it IS nice to "know that they know", when there is a service interruption, be it Vanguard or the electrical service at home, or whatever.
"They" can't get started fixing something if they don't yet know it's "broke".

It's a shame there isn't some sort of technology that would enable a temporary webpage of "We know there is a problem and we are working to fix it as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."
... or something like that.

If it were possible, that would also save tons of phone calls from assorted disparate customers, none of whom know whether the problem is "just them" or if it's a wider problem, or whether the company "knows" yet.

RM

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:12 am

I think it is a good idea to avoid logging in any system between 10 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. Sunday. It appears that companies prefer to do system maintenance during that period.

Give Vanguard a break for doing maintenance during off-peak hours.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 am

It could have been worse. When the Bogleheads site goes down for maintenance, I and many others have severe withdrawal pains.
:evil:
Bob

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 am

Guys this is not your average mom and pop website. This is a website and backend that manages trillions of dollars. There is no excuse for any downtime. Is is routine to have clusters of servers and have updates done on a rolling basis that results in no downtime. Websites that are far less critical do this. How many times have you seen 'site down for maintainence' on google, amazon, etc?

We all know that vanguard has under invested in tech for a long time now. It shows in aging infrastructure, features and processes. Let's not pretend that this is normal or acceptable.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:22 am

routinely I cannot log into various financial websites late Saturday night. It happens to be my preferred time to do housekeeping and I've just accepted this fact of life. Last night Vanguard was one of three websites I couldn't access. No big deal. What is the big deal?

RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Rebecca - thank you for the update. Pretty impressive to see VG monitor the forum on a Sunday AM. Many thanks.

Could you perhaps suggest to VG IT that they post a message on the logon page if the site is down? (Better yet - it'd be good to display a message ahead of time announcing scheduled maintenance). I've worked in IT for 30+ years and this is really simple to do - and would go a long way to eliminating unnecessary anxiety for your customers who wonder (rightly) if their account has been hacked, if their account is locked for some reason, etc. Having a message that indicates the customer "can't access (their) account" vs saying something much more informative about the system being down for maintenance is not a particularly good way to convey what's really going on..

As others have said, it's surprising that a company as large as VG doesn't have redundancy built into the databases, app servers, web servers and other IT infrastructure to avoid outages. Many if not most large companies have that in place today so the largest fund company in the world not having that is somewhat disconcerting..That said, "it is what it is" and if there are times a site needs to go down for maintenance, improvements, etc, it'd go a long way to have better communication with the customer community ideally ahead of time or at least during the outage.

zuma

Post by zuma » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Chan_va wrote:How many times have you seen 'site down for maintainence' on google, amazon, etc?
It happens. Rarely, but it happens. Google and Amazon are also two of the most sophisticated tech companies in the world, so the comparison isn't exactly fair. :)

I agree that unexpected downtime can be disconcerting, especially from a company that needs to maintain trust with its customers, but I would assume that Vanguard's web infrastructure is completely separate from its core backend financial infrastructure. I wouldn't get too upset about a website being down for a while.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: can't logon to vanguard account [Website Down]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:16 pm

I merged RetireBy55's thread into here, which is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:23 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I merged RetireBy55's thread into here, which is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
What happened to the post(s) by Rebecca Katz, of Vanguard?

That was so helpful, to "know that they know" about the problem, rather than each of us wondering "if it's just us", or even if it is "all of us", and then there's still the ... does *Vanguard* know yet... etc.?

Thanks!

RM

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Chan_va wrote:Guys this is not your average mom and pop website. This is a website and backend that manages trillions of dollars. There is no excuse for any downtime. Is is routine to have clusters of servers and have updates done on a rolling basis that results in no downtime. Websites that are far less critical do this. How many times have you seen 'site down for maintainence' on google, amazon, etc?

We all know that vanguard has under invested in tech for a long time now. It shows in aging infrastructure, features and processes. Let's not pretend that this is normal or acceptable.
Google and Amazon don't have the same regulatory and legal overhead for compliance that a financial company has. It can be difficult to roll out cutting-edge technology while still maintaining compliance with all financial laws and regulations. What if the approved OS vendor does not support server clusters with rolling updates? Amazon or Google can write their own code in such situations, but a financial institution would have to vet that their code maintains compliance with all regulations and that rolling out the code would not accidentally cause an outage of too long a duration (which is also against regulations).

The complexities of system development and administration in the financial industry are vastly higher than that of Amazon or Google due to compliance. Amazon and Google primarily just have PCI compliance (credit card handling) to worry about. Financial companies have many more regulatory burdens.

Also, cutting-edge costs money and what would the vast majority of customers rather have: another few basis points to avoid a short maintenance outage on a weekend evening/morning (when the markets are closed) or the current ERs with the knowledge you might have to wait a few hours on the weekend to check your account?

Edit: Typo fix

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:27 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:I merged RetireBy55's thread into here, which is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
What happened to the post(s) by Rebecca Katz, of Vanguard?

That was so helpful, to "know that they know" about the problem, rather than each of us wondering "if it's just us", or even if it is "all of us", and then there's still the ... does *Vanguard* know yet... etc.?

Thanks!

RM
They've been removed for moderator review.

Update: Upon further review, the posts have been restored.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Chan_va wrote:Guys this is not your average mom and pop website. This is a website and backend that manages trillions of dollars. There is no excuse for any downtime. Is is routine to have clusters of servers and have updates done on a rolling basis that results in no downtime. Websites that are far less critical do this. How many times have you seen 'site down for maintainence' on google, amazon, etc?

+1. This is my exact reaction. I am (was until last week) in IT. This is inexcusable for a company this size. It shows lack of IT maturity. Can't be excused when they have OUR $$$$$$$.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Amazon has had two major outages this year that I've personally experienced. At the end of February, they took down a number of sites using AWS. And on June 7, Amazon.com had a back-end outage that broke ordering on their site. I ended up repeatedly being presented with error messages and photos of various dogs each time I tried to view a product listing. The outage lasted more than an hour.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:48 pm

And you can't really do anything with those trillions of dollars on a Sunday morning! I find it amazing that people are so upset about this.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:53 pm

emoore wrote:

And you can't really do anything with those trillions of dollars on a Sunday morning! I find it amazing that people are so upset about this.
Same here. Banks and credit card companies go offline from time to time for maintenance. Usually in the middle of the night but not always.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:16 pm

jebmke wrote:
emoore wrote:

Same here. Banks and credit card companies go offline from time to time for maintenance. Usually in the middle of the night but not always.
I think we should be not as forgiving. It is not about comparing Vanguard to Amazon or Google; regulatory compliance issues; or our ability to do anything - or lack there of - on Sunday morning with the account with the markets closed. This outage with lack of communication could be a symptom of a bigger problem in their IT management - (I would bet $1 that is the case though). Considering many cyberattacks, hacks and malicious attempts at other financial institutions I would want Vanguard to be very much on top of things. This incident doesn't give me warm and fuzzy about their level of sophistication.

Just my $0.02

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:32 pm

I don't think those not in the tech sector realize how basic this is. It's not about my making critical transactions at 10 am on Sunday. It's a symptom of a much deeper problem. If vanguard can't roll out routine upgrades without taking the site down- something your average blogger can now do easily, what does it say about their systems?

The relentless drive toward lower expense ratios is not free. The piper has to paid somehow. The money isn't coming out of marketing, or decreased exec and asset manager payroll.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Down for me right now. Not terribly worried. This too shall pass...I hope.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:45 pm

The app is working fine right now.

zuma

Post by zuma » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Chan_va wrote:I don't think those not in the tech sector realize how basic this is. It's not about my making critical transactions at 10 am on Sunday. It's a symptom of a much deeper problem. If vanguard can't roll out routine upgrades without taking the site down- something your average blogger can now do easily, what does it say about their systems?

The relentless drive toward lower expense ratios is not free. The piper has to paid somehow. The money isn't coming out of marketing, or decreased exec and asset manager payroll.
How do you know it's a symptom of a much deeper problem?

I agree that routine upgrades shouldn't take a website down, but the reality is that minor website hiccups like this happen all the time. It's not really unusual. Brief unexpected downtime doesn't necessarily mean that their entire infrastructure is crumbling. Maybe things are crumbling -- I have no idea. My point is that this incident doesn't really tell us much and it shouldn't confirm all of our suspicions about what's happening behind the scenes.

(I work in the tech sector, btw.)

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Chan_va wrote:I don't think those not in the tech sector realize how basic this is. It's not about my making critical transactions at 10 am on Sunday. It's a symptom of a much deeper problem. If vanguard can't roll out routine upgrades without taking the site down- something your average blogger can now do easily, what does it say about their systems?
I'm in the tech industry, and I have colleagues who are system administrators and developers for the financial sector. Working in that sector is an entirely different beast than working for a blog platform or Amazon or Google. Similarly, things run differently in the medical sector than with bloggers or Amazon or Google. Both have similar reasons why: regulatory compliance. It's not a technical issue, it's a regulatory compliance issue. They know what could be done technically to improve the infrastructure, but getting that approved will take miles and miles of red tape to ensure the changes still result in a compliant system.

They're not twiddling their thumbs solely out of incompetence or cheapness, as some in this thread seem to think. Cost is a factor of course, but bear in mind it costs a whole lot more to prove the changes will still result in a compliant system than the changes would cost for a blogging company. It's a real challenge to get updates approved in that industry. For example, my friend who worked for Bank of the America world headquarters before Y2K took more time filing paperwork on the Y2K patches (both approval to install the patches and documentation that the patches were installed) than actually applying the patches. And things have not gotten any better since then.

If you're in the tech industry and you don't realize this, broaden your circle of colleagues at other institutions.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 pm

here are the other financial companies I have more than once not been able to access on Saturday nights because of maintenace.

amica
Fidelity
discover credit cards
chase credit cards
my credit union (two different ones)
bank of America credit cards
us bank home mortgage
vanguard
probably others that I have forgotten.

it may be more apparent on the west coast. Saturday night 10 pm pacific time this is a common problem. it's a more annoying problem with credit cards (which I can act on, ie, pay on Saturday nights than with Vanguard or Fido, which is usually just about updating a spreadsheet; I don't submit trades or transfers over the weekend.

I have not seen any evidence that Vanguard is unique in this respect.

Munir

Post by Munir » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Just now I can access Vanguard web site but cannot access my accounts!

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 pm

I can access my accounts.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm really surprised that the IT people here are surprised that this could happen, or believe that throwing more money at the problem would necessarily prevent it.