Do I need new tires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fmhealth

Do I need new tires?

Post by fmhealth » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Here's the backstory. My car is a '03 Honda Accord with 127,000 miles. After an oil change this week I asked my mechanic to check my six year old tires. His shop doesn't sell tires. His conclusion, although tread is at legal limits of 2/32, he recommends I replace all four simply because of their age. Live in Az. so wet or snowy roads aren't a concern but the unrelenting heat can shorten the life of tires as well as batteries.

Total cost of this would be in the vicinity of $550.00. Car is in magnificent condition but I've recently been thinking of a replacement later this year. Resale value is around $4,500. So this expense would represent a 12% investment for nine months or so of use.

Any actionable insights would be greatly appreciated.

Be Well,
fmhealth

bloom2708

Re: Do I need new tires?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:54 pm

3-4/32 is where tires should be replaced (if they wear evenly). 2/32 is the legal limit but pushing it. I think it is time. You are almost running on slicks (hydroplaning in rain).

You should be able to shop around and do better than $550. Do you have a Discount Tire? Also shop online. (Tire Rack, eBay)

You don't have to put on 80,000 mile Michelins. Milestar M932 are my favorite US made tires. ~$200 for a set of 4 with free shipping on eBay. I don't know what specific size you have on your Accord. It depends on the model. You will have to pay for mounting and balancing at a local shop. Still much less than $550.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend very little time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:56 pm

You should buy new tires because it will be easier to sell the car, as in "This car now has new tires on it, so you won't have that hassle if you buy it from me." And price the car accordingly.

You should buy new tires because spending the money will make you want to get your money's worth out of them, so you will keep this car even longer and not sell it later this year.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm

2/32 is the legal limit...

... but even though you dont get rain often just one freak downpour and those would be dangerous to drive on.

Definitely replace. Anyone you sell the car to is going to talk you down on price because the tires are shot. Up here, they would fail the next safety inspection if they go even a hair below that limit. I usually swap mine out at no less than 4/32-5/32 but I do live in an area with rough winters.

anoop

Post by anoop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Definitely get new tires. At 2/32 your stopping distances are probably 1.5x to 2x what they would be with good tires. So it's really a safety issue.

You should be able to get replacements for MUCH less than $550. Check tirerack.com for your car and you'll see various choices including reviews. You can then call a local tire shop, and many will match tirerack's price.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

I do remember reading that the tire industry recommends replacement at 6 years due to atmospheric ozone causing a negative effect on tire composition. Tires are not something to "cheap out" on.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Trade in right now or replace the tires right now.

In AZ you've also got those 75 MPH speed limits, that sometimes turn into 84? You don't want to lose a tire at speed.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

+1 to above comments. Replace.
You've gotten your moneys worth at $1.90 a tire a month cost. (if you paid $550, 6 years ago). I'd shop around but $550 for 4 "out the door" with build-up/warranty/rotations/tax.- is probably not bad. I buy all my tires (4 cars) from Discount Tire and have had good results.

You could replace 2 and then do 2 in another few months (next rotation), but you will probably lose some savings for buying 4 and still at a safety risk.

Here's to another 6 years on your next set. :sharebeer
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

William4u

Post by William4u » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

2/32 is way to low even if it is legal.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Besides being almost bald, I would also worry about cracking/dryrot weakening the sidewalls.

Replace. Tires are cheap insurance.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Usually, I'd like to keep the car as long as I can, but I do not save money on tires. It's a safety and the cost is only a few hundred dollars. I think it's time for you to get new tires.

victorb

Post by victorb » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

"ABSOLUTELY"; your life is worth more than new tires. 2/32 is the legal minimum in many states and your braking, hydroplaning & evasive handling all diminish below 4/32 drastically. Please buy new tires ASAP for your life and also others on the roadways.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm

anoop wrote:Definitely get new tires. At 2/32 your stopping distances are probably 1.5x to 2x what they would be with good tires.
In the rain, sure. In the dry, no.

Brand new DOT roadrace tires have 4/32" while street tires, typically 8/32".

For street tires, it's time to replace them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I think you can get a set of 4 tires for way less than $550. Costco.com shows many options under $500 and several under $400. If you're not a member of Costco, call your local Discount Tire (America's tire in California).
Wiki

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm

fmhealth wrote:Here's the backstory. My car is a '03 Honda Accord with 127,000 miles. After an oil change this week I asked my mechanic to check my six year old tires. His shop doesn't sell tires. His conclusion, although tread is at legal limits of 2/32, he recommends I replace all four simply because of their age. Live in Az. so wet or snowy roads aren't a concern but the unrelenting heat can shorten the life of tires as well as batteries.

Total cost of this would be in the vicinity of $550.00. Car is in magnificent condition but I've recently been thinking of a replacement later this year. Resale value is around $4,500. So this expense would represent a 12% investment for nine months or so of use.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Yes, replace immediately. Wet roads, although not as frequent, is a big concern because of the increased threat of hydroplaning. And as Livesoft mentioned, the car will be much easier to sell with a new set of tires.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm

It won't be long before you can see the air inside those.

Buy new tires.

ysette9

Post by ysette9 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I was informed recently that tires have a shelf life due to the rubber becoming brittle. Apparently you can look on the side wall of the tire to read the fine print numbers to see what that date is.
Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:10 pm

fmhealth wrote:So this expense would represent a 12% investment for nine months or so of use.
Ignore the cost relative to the value of the car. You need new tires. Buying them may prevent an accident, potentially saving your life and other's lives. Pay whatever is required for appropriate replacements. They needn't have a 50,000 mile guarantee.

Newer tires might help you sell it but you won't get your money back. Don't worry about it.

fmhealth

Post by fmhealth » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for all the rapid replies. It's unanimous,100% of the respondents weighed in on the side of new tires. Guess I'll go that route. BTW, that $550.00 quote was from Discount Tires.

Be Well,
fmhealth

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:20 pm

fmhealth wrote:Thanks for all the rapid replies. It's unanimous,100% of the respondents weighed in on the side of new tires. Guess I'll go that route. BTW, that $550.00 quote was from Discount Tires.

Be Well,
fmhealth

I had them put my last set of tires on my truck. No issues from the shop I used. In my experience, they price matched their website Discount Tire Direct. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do Only about a $5 difference per tire, but it was nice and easy no questions asked.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:27 pm

fmhealth wrote:Resale value is around $4,500.
Not to pile on but that resale value would likely be based on the car and tire being in good condition. Your tires are not.

You also have an additional factor to consider. If you are in an accident and someone is hurt or killed then having been told by your mechanic that the tires should be replaced could go against you in court even if the tires were a small factor in the accident. Your insurance might not cover you if you failed to fix a known problem If you sell the car like it is now and the next owner is in an accident the you would have the same problem.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:11 pm

+1 for replacing as soon as possible as your tires are totally unsafe as others have outlined.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Replace them now.

One financial risk of procrastinating is, if you do pop a tire on the road, aside from the potential safety/headaches, you're not going to have the time or ability to shop around for the best deal on the tires you want. AAA is going to be towing you to your favorite tire store and you'll likely pay them whatever they want. And be glad you don't have 4x4/AWD.

I wish I could replace all 4 of my tires for $550. Even twice that.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 pm

fmhealth wrote:Here's the backstory. My car is a '03 Honda Accord with 127,000 miles. After an oil change this week I asked my mechanic to check my six year old tires. His shop doesn't sell tires. His conclusion, although tread is at legal limits of 2/32, he recommends I replace all four simply because of their age. Live in Az. so wet or snowy roads aren't a concern but the unrelenting heat can shorten the life of tires as well as batteries.

There are 2 issues here.

Threads at 2/32 are worn out and MUST be replaced. That alone is a reason to replace tires as folks here have been advocating.

The explanation your mechanic gives is a little more fuzzy IMO.

If OP had "six year old tires" with 5/32+, would you "replace all four simply because of their age"?
If there were large or deep cracks, that's another sign of imminent failure, but what if there were only a few superficial cracks? Or the tire looks like new? Would that be change your mind about driving it another 9 months?

OP, are you selling the car in 9 months? You can probably replace the tires for somewhat less than $500, but if you're going to try to sell the car, pick decent tires that you can tout as new or nearly new.

jimmy123

Post by jimmy123 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:55 pm

consider your future buyers perspective:

This guy/gal runs his tires down to 2/32. What other routine maintenance does he/she skimp on?

This guy/gal just put a brand new set of Goodyear/Michelin/Bridgetones on. He/she takes good care of his cars.

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I agree with the consensus to replace the tires. They're worn out, and they are old. My only thought is that when you buy new tires, you are also probably paying for a warranty. You might try and find a shop that will allow the warranty to go with the car if you buy from them.
As an aside, I drove my rear tires until they were about down to the limit, and also 8-9 years old (I don't drive much). When I took the car in for inspection and got the rear tires replaced, I COULD NOT believe the difference in how the car drove and how much quieter it was. I realized that I had not been enjoying driving the car, and replacing the tires changed that.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:34 pm

There's no way I would be driving around with that little tread on them, and I'm not exactly safety feature conscious person. I think you need to replace them, but with what is the question.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

inbox788 wrote: If OP had "six year old tires" with 5/32+, would you "replace all four simply because of their age"?
If there were large or deep cracks, that's another sign of imminent failure, but what if there were only a few superficial cracks? Or the tire looks like new?
There are rationale for replacing by age even f the tire has very little mileage and the tread is still deep. Besides the possibility of dry rot and cracking (which is not nearly as common as people think) - the rubber as mentioned by another poster oxidizes and hardens with age. This hardening significantly reduces both wet AND dry traction. Most tire manufactures suggest an absolute maximum service life of 10 years from the date of manufacture (not install) regardless of wear. Certain European car manufacturers (think BMW, Mercedes etc whose cars are frequently driven at high speed on the autobahn's) recommend an even shorter limit of 6 years.

Tire rack has articles on this:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=267
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=138
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=183

And this describes how to read the manufacturing date code:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=11

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 am

fmhealth wrote:After an oil change this week I asked my mechanic to check my six year old tires. His shop doesn't sell tires. His conclusion, although tread is at legal limits of 2/32, he recommends I replace all four simply because of their age. Live in Az. so wet or snowy roads aren't a concern but the unrelenting heat can shorten the life of tires as well as batteries
I am amazed that you were able to get 6 years out of tires in AZ. I am going on less than 3 years and mine are about worn out.

fittan

Post by fittan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am

Definitely replaced. However I won't invest $550 in new tires since you'll be selling soon. Do a yelp or google search for companies that buy/sell tires in your area. Check the reviews. There are many companies that would sell used, good condition tires for $35 to $50 each. Their charges are usually all inclusive which will include mounting, balancing, disposal, etc. You can all tires replaced for less than $200. Here are some in my area.

http://www.firstchoicetire1.com/tires-products.htm

http://tirekingma.com/used-tire-sales-i ... on/4687153

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am

duplicate
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am

runner3081 wrote:
fmhealth wrote:After an oil change this week I asked my mechanic to check my six year old tires. His shop doesn't sell tires. His conclusion, although tread is at legal limits of 2/32, he recommends I replace all four simply because of their age. Live in Az. so wet or snowy roads aren't a concern but the unrelenting heat can shorten the life of tires as well as batteries
I am amazed that you were able to get 6 years out of tires in AZ. I am going on less than 3 years and mine are about worn out.
Northern AZ. Got 4 years on my Toyota Tundra truck tires. Still reasonable tread let but time to change. Put on the Michelin LTX AT/2. Load range E. Awesome tire. Great in snow, ice, interstate. Though winter was mild this year.
To OP: base on personal experience, the actionable advice is that the best tires that can be had is always a good idea for safety.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 pm

I live south of Phoenix and just purchased 4 new tires. The main reasons I chose to purchase new tires were for safety and reliability. Also, what if you are in an accident pointing to bad tire performance? I have 100K miles on my 2004 Camry and will continue driving it as long as possible and also because of the high yearly registration fees here in AZ.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

It only now occurs to me that if the US Mint stops the flow of one cent coins drivers no longer will have a convenient way to test the tread on their tires to see if any are unsafe. I suggest everyone short manufacturers of gas station self-service air pumps. That way everybody can beat the market.
PJW

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Phineas, I have always used a dime.

Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 pm

I changed my 10+ year Accord tires after 5 years in IL. They seemed chipping a bit; natural wear. Got small kids; did not want to risk.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Almost there wrote:Phineas, I have always used a dime.
Once I wired a system
Just for fun.
Brother can paradigm?

PJW

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Yes you need new tires.
If you plan on keeping the car,
Michelin. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 pm

anoop wrote:Definitely get new tires. At 2/32 your stopping distances are probably 1.5x to 2x what they would be with good tires. So it's really a safety issue.

You should be able to get replacements for MUCH less than $550. Check tirerack.com for your car and you'll see various choices including reviews. You can then call a local tire shop, and many will match tirerack's price.
Your safety is well worth the cost of new tires.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 pm

jimmy123 wrote:consider your future buyers perspective:

This guy/gal runs his tires down to 2/32. What other routine maintenance does he/she skimp on?

This guy/gal just put a brand new set of Goodyear/Michelin/Bridgetones on. He/she takes good care of his cars.
Or...this guy/gal put new tires on their car thinking they were going to keep it for another 50K miles until they discovered a major problem and now need to offload the car...

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Almost there wrote:Phineas, I have always used a dime.
Now if you find some true Boglehead tires, they will also stop on that dime, pick it up, and then add it to their three-fund portfolio.
Semper Augustus

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Picked up three pennies this week. Never had a problem doing that. Saw my parents doing it too.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:It only now occurs to me that if the US Mint stops the flow of one cent coins drivers no longer will have a convenient way to test the tread on their tires to see if any are unsafe. I suggest everyone short manufacturers of gas station self-service air pumps. That way everybody can beat the market.
PJW
I have a tread depth gauge in my toolbox. It measures in 1/32" increments.

I found a dime in a parking lot last week where a snow pile had melted away.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:...
I found a dime in a parking lot last week where a snow pile had melted away.
Picking up dimes in front of snowplows, are you?
PJW

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't know about ozone and measuring tread depth with coins, but if you're asking the question, the answer has got to be yes.

On a related note, the answer to the question "Do I want my last living thought to be that I should have gotten new tires before I slid into the mini van full of kids" has got to be no.

Seriously. Why is this a question?

Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Be Well,
fmhealth
I'm replacing my tires at the moment on my wife's 2005 Accord EX and discount tire had the cooper cs5 ultra touring for $320 shipped to my house. America tire will charge $70 to install and that price will be offset by the current $70 rebate from Cooper that expires today! All in, I will pay $320. I love discount tire!

delirium330

Post by delirium330 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Every car owner should own one of these. You'll have it for life.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-448-Tre ... op?ie=UTF8

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Just for snickers, I'm letting the group know that I just ordered replacement tires for my '02 Mustang GT vert which I purchased new (ordered from factory) and still have the original Z rated Goodyear Eagle's mounted. Unfortunately, I have to replace them with Y rated tires (only good up to 186 mph rather than over that speed with the Z's :twisted: )

Of course, the tread is great (don't need a penny, or a dime to measure) since it only has slightly over 21k on the odometer after 15 years :mrgreen:

The car's always been garage kept and never driven in rain/snow or when there's residual salt on the road from winter storms and shows no sidewall problems of cracking.

Hopefully, I can make it to the dealer next week (still go there - free lifetime inspections) without a rollover...

- Ron

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

delirium330 wrote:Every car owner should own one of these. You'll have it for life.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-448-Tre ... op?ie=UTF8
I'm not so sure on the "you'll have it for life" point. Eventually, the friction mechanism wears out and the center post just moves freely under its own weight. But maybe this particular brand you mention is better in that regard. I went with a dial indicator type as a replacement, which you can easily read while it's still in the tire. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Pneum ... B00GCBMAJK
I can't comment on its longevity yet.