Anybody using the TERMINAL over the GUI in ubuntu?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lightheir

Anybody using the TERMINAL over the GUI in ubuntu?

Post by lightheir » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 am

I just installed Ubuntu linux on an older PC due to the (unfortunate) soldered-on 4GB RAM being too draggy for Win10. Works great now.

Just a question - are any of you preferring the command line (terminal) interface to the GUI? I know it's allegedly more powerful, but are there any folks doing real-world use of it?

livesoft

Re: Anybody using the TERMINAL over the GUI in ubuntu?

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 am

I use command-line interfaces all the time on Linux and don't use the GUI.

I use command-line interfaces all the time on Mac/OSX and rarely use Finder.

I prefer to use xterm instead of any semi-native terminal program.

I don't get what you mean by "more powerful" because there are only about 10 things you ever do.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 am

livesoft wrote:I use command-line interfaces all the time on Linux and don't use the GUI.

I use command-line interfaces all the time on Mac/OSX and rarely use Finder.

I prefer to use xterm instead of any semi-native terminal program.

I don't get what you mean by "more powerful" because there are only about 10 things you ever do.
Cool - if it's not too much trouble, can you give examples of 5-10 of the most common file commands you use, in real-life syntax? Just curious as to how complex/deep you have to go before it becomes useful or faster than the GUI. (I did 'man sudo' and there are so many modifier options for each command tht it's mind boggling)

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 am

I use two GUI programs: chrome and Okular. And in chrome I use an extension so I use my mouse as little as possible.

I use i3 as my window manager, rxvt-Unicode as my terminal, mpd and ncmpcpp as my audio programs, mutt to read email, and vim as my editor with latex to render documents. Most of my time is spent in vim since a lot of what I do is programming. I essentially almost exclusively use the terminal and I have done so since I was 8. The fact I use i3 means there is no GUI to speak of to interact with.

I despise mice. I also despise ubuntu. I use exherbo Linux.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 am

lighter wrote:Cool - if it's not too much trouble, can you give examples of 5-10 of the most common file commands you use, in real-life syntax? Just curious as to how complex/deep you have to go before it becomes useful or faster than the GUI. (I did 'man sudo' and there are so many modifier options for each command tht it's mind boggling)
I won't give the syntax, but common commands I use:

emacs (see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=197582)
cd
ls
cp
mv
rm
mkdir
rmdir
find
grep
man (this is help command, so "man ls" gives one help on the ls command)
tar
gzip
gunzip
make
more
cat

On a Mac, the "open" command is a universal command to open files with the software associated with that file, so
open bogleheads.docx (opens file with MSWord)
open bogleheads.pdf (open file with Preview)
open bogleheads.xlsx (open file with MS Excel)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 am

I use both, and have since we got a GUI (of sorts) in Unix version 7. This applies across Windows, OS2, some mainframe stuff and various versions of Unix (including Mac).

Some things are inherently GUI, web browsing and reading mail, playing most games. I could browse the web or read mail on the command line, but much of the information is in pictures or screen layout so it would be masochistic. A well organized GUI is also useful for tasks I do once or rarely. I'll usually give the GUI a try. This is the triumph of hope over experience, since the GUI is typically well organized only for very common tasks. I have a low frustration level and drop to the command line quickly.

I use the terminal for things I already know how to do, or the GUI can't do or the GUI is badly organized for (which includes almost everything at least a little bit uncommon.) This also includes anything that requires multiple steps or making decisions. I've tried various GUI programming languages and they all suck. And to play wumpus.

The most common terminal commands I type are probably xinput (to turn off the touchpad), ps, top, iotop, kill and pkill.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 am

lightheir wrote:I just installed Ubuntu linux on an older PC due to the (unfortunate) soldered-on 4GB RAM being too draggy for Win10. Works great now.

Just a question - are any of you preferring the command line (terminal) interface to the GUI? I know it's allegedly more powerful, but are there any folks doing real-world use of it?
IMHO that's a great re-use of older PCs, although I use CentOS.

Whenever I purchase a new PC to replace an existing one, I repurpose the existing PC to become a backend CentOS server. I generally have three
  1. runs my firewall using Shorewall;
  2. runs my basic network services (dhcpd, caching nameserver, etc.) and Samba to provide a fileserver to my network and
  3. runs my LAMP server (web development and testing).
I just checked, my firewall machine is a "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz", circa who knows when. It will probably be replaced soon as I recently replaced/decommissioned my spouse's P4 (530J) 3.0 GHz based machine was getting to slow with Win10 installed, but will run very nicely with CentOS installed.

I don't have a GUI installed on any of them. Everything is done on the command line, via PuTTY: a free SSH and Telnet client. Commonly used commands (based on my history file) are: find; tar; vi; grep; ... Lately I've actually been fixing phpBB bugs, so add git to that list.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 am

Just for fun, I went down that rabbit hole many years ago and stayed because I liked it.

That is, I have no GUI even installed on my machine. No desktop environment like GNOME or KDE, but just a window manager. Specifically, Ratpoison, which is awesome because it is keyboard only, no mouse input available (hence the name). In fact, I don't even have a mouse attached to the computer. I disconnected it one day just to see if it was possible, and never reconnected it. I even do some minor image work without a mouse. Everything is super fast, since I never have to take my hands away from the keyboard.

Ratpoison is a tiling window manager, as opposed to a stacking window manager (no overlapping windows, except when they are full-screen). I use Conkeror as a web browser (when I'm not using a quickie session of w3m). Again, it can also be fully controlled via keyboard.

As far as GUI file managers, nope don't have one. I simply use GNU core utilities.

I use lots of other command-line programs too to interact with other machines. For example, this morning I've been extensively using Screen.

By the way, you mentioned sudo (a default Ubuntu thing). Personally, I hate it and don't ever use it, preferring su. But ignore that for now while you may be learning, as it probably isn't important :P

You also mentioned a 4 gig memory machine being too slow for Windows. Would you believe I have a 256 meg Pentium III (circa 2000) running as a headless server? It is surprisingly speedy.

whomever

Post by whomever » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 pm

I use the GUI for web browsing, email, and a few other things (e.g. gimp).

My career was as a software developer, and there I only used xterms (unless testing the GUI program I was developing).

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I use the terminal all the time. Very convenient for me for moving files, compiling, or compressing.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 pm

I've used Linux since 1994, and have found that there are tasks for which I need a GUI and tasks for which I need command-line access. YMMV.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm

I use a GUI rather than using the monitor as a character device. If the concern is the performance being draggy, then try one of the lighter weight desktops, such as: LXDE (default desktop with the Lubuntu distribution) or MATE (default desktop with the Ubuntu MATE distribution)

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 pm

triceratop wrote:I use two GUI programs: chrome and Okular. And in chrome I use an extension so I use my mouse as little as possible.

I use i3 as my window manager, rxvt-Unicode as my terminal, mpd and ncmpcpp as my audio programs, mutt to read email, and vim as my editor with latex to render documents. Most of my time is spent in vim since a lot of what I do is programming. I essentially almost exclusively use the terminal and I have done so since I was 8. The fact I use i3 means there is no GUI to speak of to interact with.

Old school? What color is your background and text?

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content ... T-1_16.jpg

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 pm

inbox788 wrote:
triceratop wrote:I use two GUI programs: chrome and Okular. And in chrome I use an extension so I use my mouse as little as possible.

I'd be careful thinking that my using terminals since I was 8 means I am oldschool. Linux is older than I am. ;)

colors.... I prefer white/grey text on black; easier on the eyes. I use the inkpot colorscheme in vim, and use a custom tmux config with a purple bar (unrelatedly, one can add a tmux plugin which allows a single key combo to move between vim and tmux panes -- very cool!). My PS1 looks like this:

Code: Select all

[\[\033[31m\]\h\[\033[0m\]:\[\033[35m\]\u\[\033[0m\]]\[\033[32m\]\w\[\033[0m\]>
Love the Tandy terminal running Linux v3.9.9. :)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm

It's horse for courses....Discounting folks that are just curmudgeonly, or bizarre.

I think what you're really asking is who spends time (presumably for other-than-business reasons) in the command shell of the OS, vs the GUI environment?

With Windows -- rarely to occasionally. MacOS quite often, and Linux all the time, but only at work. The real power of the command shell is the quick access to commands to interact with the OS, and native scripting and programming languages.

That said it's not 1991, and personal computers are dirt cheap, and sure you can find open source alternative to popular commercial programs, but I don't know why you'd necessarily not want to spend the money on something nice, with a commercial OS, or at least run a full-blown desktop environment with a large display. <shrug> Keyboard shortcuts and aliases can cut down a lot of mouse-work.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:15 pm

lightheir wrote:Just a question - are any of you preferring the command line (terminal) interface to the GUI? I know it's allegedly more powerful, but are there any folks doing real-world use of it?
For the most part, harnessing the power of a command line (in unix/linux) means learning how to use a "shell". If you have a terminal app open, and you enter a command into it, you are already using a shell.

The most common shell in the linux world, and probably the one you are using on ubuntu, is called "bash".

Yes, you need to learn a basic vocabulary of (shell) commands, but the power of a command line interface comes from several different directions:
filename completion;
easy scrolling through and re-applying or editing previous commands;
redirection of input and output and chaining commands together;
creating aliases (command short cuts);
creating shell scripts (programming).

Things will likely make more sense once you experience the
"everything in unix/linux is a file" epiphany.

Some of my favorite shell scripts use command line tools to scarf data from websites for my personal use. It's generally much faster to run a script from a terminal than to open a new tab in a browser, select a bookmarked website, enter text into a search box, and wait for the responses while my adblocker does battle with the webserver.

The first google hit I got for "introduction to bash" was this:
http://cs.lmu.edu/~ray/notes/bash/

It looks like a reasonable place to start.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm

FactualFran wrote:I use a GUI rather than using the monitor as a character device. If the concern is the performance being draggy, then try one of the lighter weight desktops, such as: LXDE (default desktop with the Lubuntu distribution) or MATE (default desktop with the Ubuntu MATE distribution)
+1

I'm your standard point-and-click GUI guy. I use Lubuntu with PCs equipped with 1GB, 4GB and 6GB RAM. I'm happy with PCMANFM, the default file manager, and I love the speed and lightness of Lubuntu.

Mint Mate is probably better for a beginner, though it uses more resources. I tried Ubuntu Mate and didn't recognize it as being Mate. I basically took one look at it, didn't like it, and concluded that Mate looks better on Mint.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Yes, I use the terminal window.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:20 pm

I love to use the command line. For fun, I'm replying to your post using lynx. I'm excited to see if it's a horrible mess after I submit it and check it in chrome!

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 pm

CppCoder wrote:I love to use the command line. For fun, I'm replying to your post using lynx. I'm excited to see if it's a horrible mess after I submit it and check it in chrome!
Wow, it actually worked. I guess bogleheads.org could have survived in 1994! Yes, bad form to reply to myself...

student

Post by student » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 pm

I know a number of people who use terminal exclusively. Indeed, the preferred method for input for them is keyboard with shortcuts rather than the mouse.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 pm

CppCoder wrote:
CppCoder wrote:I love to use the command line. For fun, I'm replying to your post using lynx. I'm excited to see if it's a horrible mess after I submit it and check it in chrome!
Wow, it actually worked. I guess bogleheads.org could have survived in 1994! Yes, bad form to reply to myself...
Whoa... that brought back memories. I could almost hear the dialup modem beeping.

kill -9 -1 is my favorite command.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Besides commandline tools, there are also terminal programs that use ncurses for a GUI like experience. Definitely give the following a try: Midnight Commander (package name is mc), weechat (if you use IRC), htop, and moc music player (mocp package).

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:06 am

The CLI is especially useful for doing lots of repetitive actions. For example, let's say you want to resize 100,000 photos to get them small enough to upload to some cloud account -- I would do something like this:

echo "convert \$1 -resize 33.33% -filter Cubic -quality 80 ~/temp/resize33/\$1" > ~/resize33.sh
chmod +x ~/resize33.sh
mkdir ~/temp/
mkdir ~/temp/resize33/
cd ~/Photos/originals/
ls *.jpg | xargs -l1 ~/resize33.sh
\rm -f ~/resize33.sh

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:14 am

I live in the terminal both at work and at home. Even my Windows machines have Cygwin with rxvt and bash installed (I don't have Windows 10, so Cygwin works well on Windows 8 and older systems). Right now, I have both VMware and terminals running on my screen.

The power of using the command line is unlocked when one learns how to use regular expressions, shell wildcards, redirection, and shell scripting. So I could do a search and replace within a text file (or text-based files) using the sed command. I can do command-line file processing using awk. I can search for strings using a regular expression in a grep command.

For example, every 5 minutes, I have a cron job that takes the HTML table generated by my cable modem status page and extracts the signal levels as numbers using a combination of grep, sed, cut, and other command line tools. It then stores those numbers into a rrdtool database and calls the rrdtool graphing binaries to generate graphs. That's allowed me to correlate signal level increases and decreases to specific activity happening in the neighborhood, like the signal levels got better when AT&T had a portion of the sidewalk dug up, and immediately went back to the previous poor levels when AT&T filled in the hole.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:19 am

inbox788 wrote:Old school? What color is your background and text?

That's not amber or green... it's not old school enough. Also, the machine name is probably not one you want to be repeating on a family friendly forum.

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 am

I think Linux is the greatest waste of time in the history of computing, especially desktop Linux. At work, I almost entirely use a terminal, Emacs, and Chrome. The terminal use is dominated by Git, Java, and the Unix text commands (grep, sed, cut, sort, uniq, and their many, many lovely friends, plus AWK and Perl when I'm feeling lazy and want a bigger hammer). Despite having such a small and portable repertoire, I avoid Windows and Linux like the plagues I believe them to be, and use a MacBook Pro. At home, I just use Chrome, on a ChromeBox.

jackpistachio

Post by jackpistachio » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 am

I use linux all day long at work. Command line all day long. Very rarely use windows manager built-ins.
At home I use Debian and Raspbian (for raspberry pi stuff). Nearly all command line there too.
We're all nuts, but Pistachios are my favorite.

saj

Post by saj » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 am

Terminal is for servers. There are very, very few cases where a GUI is acceptable on a production server. I have yet find one.

For a home user, GUI is where you'll be 90% of the time. There are text-based browsers, but you likely won't be using them. You can write documents in vim/emacs/nano, but you'll probably opt for LibreOffice. The terminal is for automating repetitive tasks, troubleshooting, etc. You should be able to get away with using the GUI exclusively in most cases.

If you care to learn more, there is an open-source Linux Command Line book.

saj

Post by saj » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:20 am

otinkyad wrote:I think Linux is the greatest waste of time in the history of computing, especially desktop Linux. At work, I almost entirely use a terminal, Emacs, and Chrome. The terminal use is dominated by Git, Java, and the Unix text commands (grep, sed, cut, sort, uniq, and their many, many lovely friends, plus AWK and Perl when I'm feeling lazy and want a bigger hammer). Despite having such a small and portable repertoire, I avoid Windows and Linux like the plagues I believe them to be, and use a MacBook Pro. At home, I just use Chrome, on a ChromeBox.
I think that many people and organizations would disagree. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to spend on a Mac (or wants to for that matter). You could argue that you can buy a used Mac, but Apple commonly drops support for old hardware, leaving their users in the position where they either need to buy new hardware, or install Linux. :happy

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:46 am

saj wrote:Terminal is for servers. There are very, very few cases where a GUI is acceptable on a production server. I have yet find one.
Eh?

Many many datacenters, and enterprise environments run Windows Server, and/or leverage Active Directory, VMWare, etc. etc.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:53 am

An old, very long essay by Neal Stephenson: In the Beginning Was the Command Line
About twenty years ago Jobs and Wozniak, the founders of Apple, came up with the very strange idea of selling information processing machines for use in the home. The business took off, and its founders made a lot of money and received the credit they deserved for being daring visionaries. But around the same time, Bill Gates and Paul Allen came up with an idea even stranger and more fantastical: selling computer operating systems. This was much weirder than the idea of Jobs and Wozniak. A computer at least had some sort of physical reality to it. It came in a box, you could open it up and plug it in and watch lights blink. An operating system had no tangible incarnation at all. It arrived on a disk, of course, but the disk was, in effect, nothing more than the box that the OS came in. The product itself was a very long string of ones and zeroes that, when properly installed and coddled, gave you the ability to manipulate other very long strings of ones and zeroes. Even those few who actually understood what a computer operating system was were apt to think of it as a fantastically arcane engineering prodigy, like a breeder reactor or a U-2 spy plane, and not something that could ever be (in the parlance of high-tech) "productized."
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am

I use Debian and find it is a very stable system. I find command line easy to write scripts that I need to run repeatedly. I also have a couple of 'net-top linux boxes' which don't have a monitor and only have command line interface through SSH.

Here are some of my most used commands from .bash_history

screen
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
vim
wget
openvpn
rtorrent
sudo
ssh
htop
git
tig
tar
gzip
7za
cat
less
md5sum
cd
ls
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:08 am

lightheir wrote:I just installed Ubuntu linux on an older PC due to the (unfortunate) soldered-on 4GB RAM being too draggy for Win10. Works great now.

I use terminal at times when I want more info than gui provides. But I am a software developer who is profocient in these areas. I would not expect the typical user would need to use it. Overkill.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am

inbox788 wrote:

Where is the USB port?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

otinkyad wrote:I think Linux is the greatest waste of time in the history of computing, especially desktop Linux. At work, I almost entirely use a terminal, Emacs, and Chrome. The terminal use is dominated by Git, Java, and the Unix text commands (grep, sed, cut, sort, uniq, and their many, many lovely friends, plus AWK and Perl when I'm feeling lazy and want a bigger hammer). Despite having such a small and portable repertoire, I avoid Windows and Linux like the plagues I believe them to be, and use a MacBook Pro. At home, I just use Chrome, on a ChromeBox.
Up until the Macbook line, I was going to say we found the Unix curmudgeon... there's one in every thread about Linux after all. But a true curmudgeon wouldn't use a Macbook, even with its BSD core, due to all the Apple "fluff" :D
saj wrote:Terminal is for servers. There are very, very few cases where a GUI is acceptable on a production server. I have yet find one.

Command-line mode is for way more than just servers. My entire Ph.D. dissertation was done with a series of text files in the LaTeX mark-up language (which is far superior to Word/Writer when it comes to formatting mathematical formulas or theoretical computer science statements), "compiled" into PDF with a series of command-line tools.

I also regularly use the command-line on Windows to clean up the mess of a PDF Microsoft Office can make when exporting Word or OneNote files to PDF. The command-line gs binary is also handy to stitch PDFs together or pull out parts of a PDF. Cygwin rxvt on my Windows systems is used most of the time to clean up PDFs like this, to ssh into a server, or to rsync data files to the main server for backup.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:49 pm

CppCoder wrote:
Forgiven because lynx. Wow that takes me back.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
CppCoder wrote:
Forgiven because lynx. Wow that takes me back.
I forgave them because he/she didn't top post. :D

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 am

I wish there was some sort of sccs facility for text files in Windows.
I like to change a file but be able to revert back to an earlier version.
I would even use Word if it could do this.

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am

My entire Ph.D. dissertation was done with a series of text files in the LaTeX mark-up language
In the 1970's IBM had a markup language called 'Script'. PhD candidates would write their thesis using it, because it was really nice to not have to redo all the page numbers and so on because you inserted a paragraph. At my university terminals were still rare, so people keypunched the whole thesis on cards - you'd see them walking around with the 2 foot long box of cards.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am

MossySF wrote:The CLI is especially useful for doing lots of repetitive actions. For example, let's say you want to resize 100,000 photos to get them small enough to upload to some cloud account -- I would do something like this:

echo "convert \$1 -resize 33.33% -filter Cubic -quality 80 ~/temp/resize33/\$1" > ~/resize33.sh
chmod +x ~/resize33.sh
mkdir ~/temp/
mkdir ~/temp/resize33/
cd ~/Photos/originals/
ls *.jpg | xargs -l1 ~/resize33.sh
\rm -f ~/resize33.sh

mkdir -p ~/temp/resize33
find ~/Photos/originals -type f -name '*.jpg' -exec convert {} -resize 33.33% -filter Cubic -quality 80 \
    ~/temp/resize33/{} \;
:D

As for terminal vs. GUI, I've been a Unix/Linux system administrator (first Solaris and IRIX, adding Linux later) my entire career and I only use the terminal since I manage servers remotely. I can't stand Linux desktop, though I used Debian for many years as my home system long ago. Now I just use a Windows PC and MacBook as my main systems at work and home and use ssh to get to my servers. I like that Mac is Unix-like on the back end and that you can now install Bash and Ubuntu on Windows. (I know PowerShell is quite powerful as well (pun not intended) but it just feels so much clunkier given its more object-oriented nature.)

:sharebeer

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:04 am

Use bc a lot. Use it in my bash scripts to work with numbers.

~]$ bc
bc 1.06.95
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
scale=5.00
3/4
(2*3)/15

~]$ f=3
~]$ g=10
~]$ sum=0
~]$ sum=$(echo "scale=5.00; $f+$g" | bc -l)
~]$ echo $sum

sort is very handy,
~]$ cat junk
[oracle@t520 ~]$ cat junk | sort

Another favorite is mplayer, but you have to install it.

:D

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:34 am

whomever wrote:
My entire Ph.D. dissertation was done with a series of text files in the LaTeX mark-up language
In the 1970's IBM had a markup language called 'Script'. PhD candidates would write their thesis using it, because it was really nice to not have to redo all the page numbers and so on because you inserted a paragraph. At my university terminals were still rare, so people keypunched the whole thesis on cards - you'd see them walking around with the 2 foot long box of cards.
I hope they numbered or striped their cards. All I could imagine is spilling the cards while yelling "my dissertaaatiiioooonnnnn ".

And I was the keeper of the UCD Tex template while I was a graduate student. Every 5 years or so, someone would change a minor formatting rule at the dissertation office and the most LaTeX knowledgeable (or in my case, the most persistence to look through the docs) got to make the updates to the template file.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
whomever wrote:
I hope they numbered or striped their cards. All I could imagine is spilling the cards while yelling "my dissertaaatiiioooonnnnn ".

And I was the keeper of the UCD Tex template while I was a graduate student. Every 5 years or so, someone would change a minor formatting rule at the dissertation office and the most LaTeX knowledgeable (or in my case, the most persistence to look through the docs) got to make the updates to the template file.
While my graduate school wasn't at UCD, thank you just the same (since I have no idea who managed it at my school). Having a TeX template for my dissertation was a real stress reducer in a high stress time!

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
inbox788 wrote:Old school? What color is your background and text?

That's not amber or green... it's not old school enough. Also, the machine name is probably not one you want to be repeating on a family friendly forum.
Interesting. I don't know the background of that photo, but since it's indicating half a gig of RAM, it seems to not be what it appears to be. (Not Linux running on a TRS-80, but another computer transplanted into the case.)

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Usually not. The general use keypunches wouldn't do sequence numbers, and if you had the deck copied (and sequence numbers appended) the punch didn't print across the top. So if I had a copied deck and wanted to find a given card, I had to do a search - guess a card, run it through a duplicator that would add the print, compare to the listing, guess a new card location, etc. Or get good at just reading the hole patterns. It was fairly tedious :-). What a luxury it was when we got timesharing with 110 baud physical TTY's.

Another anecdote: I knew a lady who dropped a box of 2000 cards (thesis? data? source?) in a puddle. She ran home and spend the day with an iron drying them. The ironed cards looked immaculate - but the soak/iron process had enlarged them a tiny amount - enough that they wouldn't feed. IIRC hers had the printing on the top, so all she had to do was rekey them :-(.

Another fun thing was to finally get your program to work at 0300 and gratefully head home from the underground computing center - and open the door to see a downpour, and have to set there with your box of cards until the rain abated.