What is your preferred Weather App?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TxAg

What is your preferred Weather App?

Postby TxAg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Iphone here. What app do you prefer? I've used "Weather Channel" for a while but would like to try something different.

Kenkat

Re: What is your preferred Weather App?

Postby Kenkat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 pm

I use MyRadar and WeatherUnderground

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Radar Express and Weather Underground
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

matjen

Postby matjen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Weather Underground
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

renue74

Postby renue74 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm

I 2nd the MyRadar app. It's amazingly fast.

dwickenh

Postby dwickenh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Weather underground
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Postby 90077 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Weather Underground.

snottypie

Postby snottypie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm

I use Dark Sky. It's $4, but completely worth it because their hyperlocal weather lets you predict weather really accurately. So it's real-time, useful weather.

https://darksky.net/app/

fourwheelcycle

Postby fourwheelcycle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Weather Underground

RevYoung

Postby RevYoung » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 pm

The built-in Weather app gets its data from The Weather Channel which I find to be reliable in my area. I supplement it with Dark Sky for its notifications. I get a notification in the morning if it's going to be over 80°F or if rain is expected. Both are useful pieces of information to me as a motorcyclist.
“For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.”

F150HD

Postby F150HD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm

TxAg wrote:Iphone here. What app do you prefer? I've used "Weather Channel" for a while but would like to try something different.

Used to use the Intellicast App- was awesome. Nice radar and hourly breakdown for when I was traveling. Then they ended it.

Now in looking to replace it, I see many weather apps scan all your texts, scan all your contacts, one even scanned your email inbox. On that note, I've been very hesitant to install any new weather app as there's no need for them to know who I'm texting and why for that matter.

Still looking for a replacement.

dumbbunny

Postby dumbbunny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Another for Weather Underground. I have a neighbor who has their weather station gadget registered on WU.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

bzargarcia

Postby bzargarcia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm

I just Dark Sky most of the time, but when bad weather rolls in on use Storm by Weather Underground on iOS. I find its radar of storm cells to be very good. I just use the free ad version.

Weather Underground has a few different apps.
Bart Garcia

Will do good

Postby Will do good » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm

F150HD wrote:
TxAg wrote:Iphone here. What app do you prefer? I've used "Weather Channel" for a while but would like to try something different.

Used to use the Intellicast App- was awesome. Nice radar and hourly breakdown for when I was traveling. Then they ended it.

Now in looking to replace it, I see many weather apps scan all your texts, scan all your contacts, one even scanned your email inbox. On that note, I've been very hesitant to install any new weather app as there's no need for them to know who I'm texting and why for that matter.

Still looking for a replacement.

How do you know these weather apps scan your data? If it's true I will delete them. Links please.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm

I use weatherbug.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

McCharley

Postby McCharley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Here's another vote for Dark Sky. I use Weather Underground as well, but Dark Sky has excellent hyperlocal predictions. I have a weather station that uploads to Weather Underground, so if I want to see historical graphs that's where to go. If I want to know whether to grab an umbrella it's Dark Sky all the way. :beer

Bfwolf

Postby Bfwolf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 pm

I have been using Weather Underground but bought Dark Sky based on the recos in this thread. We'll see how it goes! I like the idea of the alerts functionality.

harrychan

Postby harrychan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:37 pm

I don't use weather apps as they require location services which drains your battery. If I need to know the weather, I just ask google, "what's the weather in xxxxx".
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

F150HD

Postby F150HD » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 am

Will do good wrote:
How do you know these weather apps scan your data? If it's true I will delete them. Links please.

no link. When you go to Google Play and hit 'install' on any app, the app pops up prior to install and requests permissions to read this and that- read that carefully. That is where you can see what info its requesting.

Facebook app for example- it scans texts, call logs, contacts etc.....on Android at least.

Dunno how it works w/ Apple products, I don't have them.

bluebolt

Postby bluebolt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:55 am

harrychan wrote:I don't use weather apps as they require location services which drains your battery. If I need to know the weather, I just ask google, "what's the weather in xxxxx".

I have location services turned off for Weather Channel on iOS and it works just fine. I have to enter the city/zip I'm interested in, but most of the time it's one of my 3 saved locations, so I don't have to do anything to see the forecast I want.

Flymore

Postby Flymore » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:33 am

I like the "National Weather Service" app or www.weather.gov.

For radar, I use radar.weather.gov.

:beer

bloom2708

Postby bloom2708 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:26 am

Accuweather is the most accu-rate.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Chicken lady

Postby Chicken lady » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Storm shield - costs a few dollars but does more than most others and you can set alarms for your area. When an alarm goes off your phone will talk to you (briefly) and let you know what the weather event is and when it is expected to pass.

Really helpful in tornado prone areas.

diyer

Postby diyer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I like playing with the Enhanced Data Display by the National Weather Service, particularly the radar and satellite layers.

http://preview.weather.gov/edd/

leehamster

Postby leehamster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm

I started using Fire + Rain this year, after reading a review. Nice simple user interface for a phone app. I enjoy every time I open it - even rainy days, with the little electronic rain cascading down the screen.

I still have the Weather Channel app, too.

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 pm

harrychan wrote:I don't use weather apps as they require location services which drains your battery. If I need to know the weather, I just ask google, "what's the weather in xxxxx".

I almost never have location on and my weather apps work fine.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 pm

F150HD wrote:
Will do good wrote:

no link. When you go to Google Play and hit 'install' on any app, the app pops up prior to install and requests permissions to read this and that- read that carefully. That is where you can see what info its requesting.

Facebook app for example- it scans texts, call logs, contacts etc.....on Android at least.

Dunno how it works w/ Apple products, I don't have them.

And on Android you can turn off the permissions in Application Manager. Weather Underground only asked for location (which I denied). Weather asks for other permissions which I have turned off.

MN-Investor

Postby MN-Investor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Storm by Weather Underground for both my Android and Apple devices. Great radar, great forecasts by hour or by day, great map overlays.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

dumbbunny

Postby dumbbunny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm

harrychan wrote:I don't use weather apps as they require location services which drains your battery.

I've been monitoring wifi, location, bluetooth on my Moto G4 and the battery drain because of these is negligible. I'm at 70% battery capacity and that's 18 hours left.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

wilked

Postby wilked » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:43 pm

I agree with everyone else, Wunderground

WallStreetPhysician

Postby WallStreetPhysician » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:55 pm

I just use the default Apple Weather app. I never really thought to use a 3rd party weather app (it's the weather...) but I'll check some of these out.

-WallStreetPhysician

TxAg

Postby TxAg » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:56 pm

I played around with MyRadar today and liked it. Thanks

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm

WeatherBug...
Attempted new signature...

margered

Postby margered » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Absolutely, possitively, NOAA http://forecast.weather.gov

I hope this is the right link.

DaftInvestor

Postby DaftInvestor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 pm

I find Accuweather the most accurate and precise of all I have tried. It is usually pretty accurate about telling me things like in how many minutes the rain will stop and start on a day with rain showers.

Pete12

Postby Pete12 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 pm

+1 for Weather.gov, the mobile site is easy to use. They give the weather to you straight, no hype, and no ads.

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:55 pm

I am a meteorologist who works at an energy commodities firm. I have not found a weather app that I have liked yet. There is presently no weather app that is based of off official NOAA/NWS national weather forecasts. NOAA does not have an official weather app per se but they do have some awesome mobile phone-friendly resources that I am about to share with you.

Most of the weather apps out there are automated grid point forecasts derived off of weather model data without any human intervention. The result is inconsistent and subpar forecasts. These are called "crap apps" and were first coined by meteorologist James Spann in Alabama around 5 years ago.

http://www.alabamawx.com/?p=63830

Yes, I'm talking about you, Wunderground and AccuWeather. Two pathetic weather "crap" apps! In fact, I will posit that they are potentially very damaging to the weather enterprise as folks see these weather apps fail time and time again and leads them to wonder, "why can't they get it right"? No, they aren't accurate -especially Accuweather. And note to Accuweather, no, you cannot forecast with any significant skill beyond 11-12 days -let alone 45 days! Fail!

The best "weather app" out there isn't actually an app but can be synthesized to behave just like an app on your iPhone or Android device. And it is based on NOAA data. "margered" and "Pete12" recommended this data as well. And they would be right. Follow these instructions in this link:

https://www.weather.gov/ctp/mobileappfeaturePage

Are you a bit more weather savvy and would prefer to see the data more like how it is shown at Weatherunderground? Check out their Enhanced Data Display as per Diyer. Great stuff! The link I am providing below is the same thing he recommended but this is mobile friendly. You can configure the geographical domain and other parameters and then save it on your home screen.

https://go.usa.gov/xXk6X

This link above is by far the most powerful "weather app" out there that is available and contains no advertising as it is official "free" NOAA site. I strongly recommend it. Anyone with additional questions, feel free to private message me.

Cosmo

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 pm

WallStreetPhysician wrote:

I just use the default Apple Weather app. I never really thought to use a 3rd party weather app (it's the weather...) but I'll check some of these out.

-WallStreetPhysician

The native iOS weather app (The Weather Channel) is probably one of the worst offenders out there as far as inaccurate and inconsistent forecasts. My professional opinion is to avoid this one in particular.

Edit: Part of me cringed when I read, "It's the weather". No, not all weather sources are the same.

Cosmo

segfault

Postby segfault » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 pm

I use the built-in weather apps on my iPhone and in Windows 10, and the built-in weather widget in MacOS. I also visit the Accuweather website.

Inexplicably, Apple doesn't include a weather app (or calculator) on the iPad, so I use the Accuweather app there.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 pm

I just ask Siri or use the default or whatever. Sometimes, if I'm planning something outdoors, I'll check a second source to see if they have the same forecast, but for my normal needs, any report is pretty much good enough. They can all be right or all be wrong, especially when it comes to rain that's not immediately here. For the most part, most radar can tell where it's raining. Forecast more than 2-3 days is iffy, and anything more than a week away is more often right, but still frequently off.

Random Poster

Postby Random Poster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 am

Cosmo wrote:Most of the weather apps out there are automated grid point forecasts derived off of weather model data without any human intervention. The result is inconsistent and subpar forecasts. These are called "crap apps" and were first coined by meteorologist James Spann in Alabama around 5 years ago.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Wunderground . . .

Preach on....

Weather Underground is showing, as of 5:30 this morning, that the wind speed in my current location as "0," that it has been "0" for the past 2 hours, and that it will remain "0" until at least 5 pm this afternoon.

Nothing could be further from the truth: the wind is currently blowing at a sustained 20 mph, has been blowing at least that fast all night long, and is--according to the local news---expected to hit 35+ by 5 pm and continue through the night.

My other issue with WU is that it takes up a substantial amount of memory on my iPhone. I think that it is the second largest memory hog on my phone, taking up more space than the OS system itself.

So not only is the app inaccurate, but it bogs my phone down too. Off to the trash pile it goes....

WallStreetPhysician

Postby WallStreetPhysician » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 am

Cosmo wrote:
WallStreetPhysician wrote:

-WallStreetPhysician

The native iOS weather app (The Weather Channel) is probably one of the worst offenders out there as far as inaccurate and inconsistent forecasts. My professional opinion is to avoid this one in particular.

Edit: Part of me cringed when I read, "It's the weather". No, not all weather sources are the same.

Cosmo

Sorry for being flippant about the weather. I did download Weather Underground but didn't like the interface and deleted it.

Peculiar_Investor

Postby Peculiar_Investor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:50 pm

I just look out the window. Most of my weather arrives from the west, as does my home office window. Problem generally solved.

On my iPhone I have three apps, the native iOS Weather app, World Radar and Weather Network. It is important to understand where the app sources their data. The iOS Weather app gives me 'Calgary' weather, which to the best of my knowledge is based on the airport's weather. I don't live anywhere near the airport and generally experience very different weather because of how weather patterns flow through Calgary.

Once golf season begins, after I look out the window, I look at all three apps and pick the best forecast. After all, most (all) golfers are optimists.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Toons

Postby Toons » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:11 pm

1.Palmary
2.Storm
Android :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

5th_Dimension

Postby 5th_Dimension » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 pm

I set up a Personal Weather Station ten days ago that reports to Weather Underground, so I use Weather Underground :D

GKSD

Postby GKSD » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Living in San Diego here, don't really need a weather app

happyyoda

Postby happyyoda » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Weather Underground.

I use an Android phone and I also use 'OK Google, weather' command to get my weather.

sperry8

Postby sperry8 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:25 am

Cosmo wrote:I am a meteorologist who works at an energy commodities firm. I have not found a weather app that I have liked yet. There is presently no weather app that is based of off official NOAA/NWS national weather forecasts. NOAA does not have an official weather app per se but they do have some awesome mobile phone-friendly resources that I am about to share with you.

Most of the weather apps out there are automated grid point forecasts derived off of weather model data without any human intervention. The result is inconsistent and subpar forecasts. These are called "crap apps" and were first coined by meteorologist James Spann in Alabama around 5 years ago.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Wunderground and AccuWeather. Two pathetic weather "crap" apps! In fact, I will posit that they are potentially very damaging to the weather enterprise as folks see these weather apps fail time and time again and leads them to wonder, "why can't they get it right"? No, they aren't accurate -especially Accuweather. And note to Accuweather, no, you cannot forecast with any significant skill beyond 11-12 days -let alone 45 days! Fail!

The best "weather app" out there isn't actually an app but can be synthesized to behave just like an app on your iPhone or Android device. And it is based on NOAA data. "margered" and "Pete12" recommended this data as well. And they would be right. Follow these instructions in this link:

Are you a bit more weather savvy and would prefer to see the data more like how it is shown at Weatherunderground? Check out their Enhanced Data Display as per Diyer. Great stuff! The link I am providing below is the same thing he recommended but this is mobile friendly. You can configure the geographical domain and other parameters and then save it on your home screen.

This link above is by far the most powerful "weather app" out there that is available and contains no advertising as it is official "free" NOAA site. I strongly recommend it. Anyone with additional questions, feel free to private message me.

Cosmo

It's a shame Wunderground and Accuweather aren't accurate. They have the best looking (most usable) widgets for android. Unfortunately that doesn't help much if their temps and/or precip forecasts are inaccurate.

Surprised no one made an app off the .gov site yet. People make apps all the time. Perhaps it's not allowed although you'd think the .gov info would be public domain.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 am

Cosmo wrote:I am a meteorologist who works at an energy commodities firm. I have not found a weather app that I have liked yet. There is presently no weather app that is based of off official NOAA/NWS national weather forecasts. NOAA does not have an official weather app per se but they do have some awesome mobile phone-friendly resources that I am about to share with you.

Cosmo

What would you suggest for a regular website on a desktop computer (instead of an "app" on a mobile smartphone)?

soaring

Postby soaring » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 am

Desiderata

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”