IRS letter: employment related identity theft

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
perl

IRS letter: employment related identity theft

Postby perl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:09 pm

This weekend I received a letter from the IRS with an Employment related Identity Theft Notice. It says:

We believe another person used your social security number (SSN) to obtain employment.

We are sending this notice to make you aware of this incident so you can take appropriate steps to protect yourself from any potential effects of identity theft. We'll not provide you specific details regarding the identity of the individual who used your SSN for employment purposes.

There is currently no known impact to your tax account as a result of this potential misuse. We placed a marker on your tax account to identify that you may have been a victim of identity theft.

The letter says I should check my SSA earnings record, monitor my credit reports, and place a fraud alert on my file with the credit bureaux. I'll do this. Are there any further steps that bogleheads would recommend?

investingdad

Re: IRS letter: employment related identity theft

Postby investingdad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm

I went down this path last year after some scum sucker filed a false return in my name and created an online Social Security login for me...accessing my SSA account.

You should freeze with all three credit agencies plus the Chexx people. Don't bother with alerts at this point, freeze them. You can selectively unfreeze as needed.

Also, if you have not, try to create an online ID with the SSA office before somebody dies it for you. Or, do what I did and block all electronic and phone access to your Social Security account and require anything with SS to be done in person at a local office.

File a police report and get a copy.

File a complaint with the FTC.

Do a full credit report with every agency to check for irregular activity. And make paper copies of the PIN and login credentials with the credit agencies after you lock things down. I'd also contact your normal financial institutions and let them you know you've been the victim of identity theft and request all additional security measures you can take as well as alerting them to possible suspicious activity in your accounts.

This is a bit of work...I strongly suggest you act immediately. I did...and I think I managed to prevent any further problems.

perl

Postby perl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 pm

investingdad, thanks - this is just the kind of list I was looking for.

I was able to place the freezes online at the 3 credit places & chex. I'll keep working down the list.

mhalley

Postby mhalley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Perhaps get a pin with the IRS also to prevent them from filing a fraudulent tax return.
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-an- ... ection-pin

investingdad

Postby investingdad » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 am

mhalley wrote:Perhaps get a pin with the IRS also to prevent them from filing a fraudulent tax return.
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-an- ... ection-pin

This isn't simply available to everyone, there are specific criteria.

We did get a Pin from the IRS without needing to request after last year's issue.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”