Anyone taken a mid-career sabbatical?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AmericaninParis

Anyone taken a mid-career sabbatical?

Postby AmericaninParis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Has anyone here ever taken one? What did you do? Would you recommend it?

I'm late 30s with good savings but not near retirement level. I'm thinking of one as a way to test some passions, travel and basically have new experiences I can't manage now with an intense job.

cfs

Re: Anyone taken a mid-career sabbatical?

Postby cfs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Back from my LUng Distance Workout and ready to contribute my dos pesetas. I took a late-career Sabbaticus when I left the military after 31 years of active duty. Took time off work in order to get back to competition shape. Ran several races and was satisfied with my performance. After recharging my batteries I was once again ready, willing, and able to join the Active Work Force. Had a very rewarding second career job until finally deciding to call it a day. Left for good and joined The Active Retired Force. It worked for me, I remain physically and mentally active, and if I had to do it all over I would NOT change a thing. Thanks for reading ~cfs~

p.s. Now closing for good, getting ready for another Internet Sabbaticus due to travel.
~ Your Ad Here! ~

GerryL

Postby GerryL » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm

The company I worked for offers a 2 month sabbatical after each 7 years of employment. No requirement to produce anything, but you're not supposed to take on any paying job. Some people vacation or take family trips. Some undertake significant volunteer projects in another country. I did round-the-country solo driving trips on my first two sabbaticals.

What you want to do sounds like what I did pre-career -- for many years before finally settling down in a "real" job. If you can accomplish a sabbatical without touching your retirement savings, it might be worth it. Allow your retirement savings to grow while you explore. At this stage in your life, it would be wise to have some kind of broad plan with learning objectives that could be added as accomplishments to your resume. Spend some time thinking about what you hope to achieve and how you can finance this experiment without undermining your future.

PS AmericaninParis: Much of my pre-career sabbatical was spent in Paris.

TravelGeek

Postby TravelGeek » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm

AmericaninParis wrote:Has anyone here ever taken one? What did you do? Would you recommend it?

I'm late 30s with good savings but not near retirement level. I'm thinking of one as a way to test some passions, travel and basically have new experiences I can't manage now with an intense job.

Yes, I took a few months off mid-career (kept same job). Traveled a bit with my wife (her regular vacation) and by myself, both in the US and Europe/Asia. One of the highlights was seeing one of the last Space Shuttle launches in Florida. The first attempt was scrubbed, so I actually had the time and flexibity to fly out twice for the launch, but combined it with some R&R in Florida.

Spend some time sorting through years of files and scanning/shredding stuff. Ultimately didn't accomplish as much as I thought I would, but I also spend time just relaxing in the backyard with books and music. Definitely thought it was worthwhile, even though that time was unpaid.

Watty

Postby Watty » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:11 pm

You need to define what you mean by sabbatical. Taking a six week leave of absence from your job with your employer's approval then returning to the same job is a lot different than quitting your job and traveling for a year.

If you can schedule the six week sabbatical then I would encourage your to go for it if your employer will allow you to take it.

It may vary by field but I would be extremely cautious about taking a year off and expecting to restart your career where you left off. It is mostly women who take time off to be a stay at home parent but they often have a hard time getting their career back to where it would have been without being out of the workforce and you would be in much the same situation.

avalpert

Postby avalpert » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I've taken 3 in my ~17 years of working. I took off 6+ months in my mid 20's to go backpacking with my wife in Southeast Asia, 5 months in my early 30's to finish my pilots license and decide what I wanted to do next and 4 months in my later 30's to go overlanding across Southern Africa with wife and kids. In between those I have made good use of generous vacation leaves to travel and explore.

I do recommend it. 20, 30, 40 years of working without a meaningful break is a long time and doesn't make any sense in my mind - you need balance throughout your life not just the last early and later years.

LiketoHike

Postby LiketoHike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

Not yet, but I think I am about to. I am a bit older than you are (early to mid fifties) and I am suffering a serious case of burn-out. I am at a point now where I dread every day and that is no way to live. I am in sales, which is a lot of travel, pressure and stress. I have been at my profession for about 25 years and I see my life suddenly passing me by, my joints are getting creaky and I can see my health declining if I keep this up. Where did the time go?

I have about 25 times expenses now, and if it weren't for that wildcard called Healthcare, I would probably think about calling it quits for good. I currently make good money, and will likely never be able to make what I am making again....but what good is it if I am not able to enjoy it, right?

It's time to re-evaluate. As it is, I am planning on quitting in July and taking a year or two off just for me (and my wife). We would like to live different places for a month at a time and see if anywhere sticks. Looking forward to riding my mountain bike whenever I want, doing some backpacking, working in my shop, working around the house and just live and decompress for a while. After that, we will see. I can't see myself not doing some kind of work. Maybe I will take on a hobby job or do something meaningful and try to be a benefit to society. Or, I can get back into my same industry. Who knows?

Regardless, I am never going to be as healthy or active as I am now, and I see that time whizzing by me. Its time to take some time and enjoy my life now....because I only have this one.

So, to answer your question.... no, I have not taken a sabbatical YET.....but I am about to! :beer

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 am

In my field (tech) it's extremely common. I personally know 11 different people who have quit their jobs in their 30's and 40's, taken 6 months to 2 years off to travel, and then come back to find new jobs with no problems whatsoever.

Needless to say these people are all relatively high performers and very well-networked. Also many (although not all) of them did a tiny bit of consulting work while on their sabbatical, no more than 5-10 hours a week.
Last edited by bluejello on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 am

Watty wrote:It may vary by field but I would be extremely cautious about taking a year off and expecting to restart your career where you left off. It is mostly women who take time off to be a stay at home parent but they often have a hard time getting their career back to where it would have been without being out of the workforce and you would be in much the same situation.

I'd challenge the idea that one year off will do your career serious harm. The women I know who quit to be SAHMs and then were later unable to find jobs were all out of the workforce for at least 3-5 years or even more. In some countries, one year off is just called maternity leave.

invst65

Postby invst65 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 am

I took a sabbatical of nearly two years after my wife died of lung cancer. Wasn't quite mid-career as I was 50 years old and still had 17 years to go in my career (up until last year). I traveled out west along with my adopted granddaughter, going all the way to Alaska and back one time.

Looking back I think it gave me a much needed second wind to complete my career as I needed to recover from both mental burnout (at work and home) and physical issues related to long hours in front of the computer. Don't know how I would have fared the last 17 years if I hadn't done that.

Flux

Postby Flux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 am

I took a year off from work in my late 20’s to travel (just a few years ago). For me, it was the best decision I ever made. I think you need to look at your stage in your career and see how difficult it would be to get back into the job market. For me, I had a great resume up to the point I quit, leading to 2 job offers on the table within 2 weeks of being home. I think it would be more difficult to find a good role if I were more experienced as those jobs are harder to find. It’s really dependent on your situation. It’s set me back a bit in career progression, but it’s worth it to me.

I say go for it. Unless you have a profession that would be hard to get back to, everything will work itself out in the end. The biggest challenge is deciding to do it.

Pick up a copy of Vagabonding, by Rolf Potts. It’s a travel book that really hits the nail on the head about what experiences you can have while traveling. Good luck.

Mofritty

Postby Mofritty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm six months and one day into a mid career "sabbatical".
I feel ten years younger than I did six months ago.
Left a really good twenty year career.
Have spent the time traveling, volunteering, doing projects.
Am the envy of friends who are miserable but too scared to change.
It is every bit a scary and even more rewarding than you can imagine.
Bet on yourself!

zaboomafoozarg

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I would love to do it, but I know I never will.

youdiditr2

Postby youdiditr2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I tried to get a 60 days unpaid leave and my boss wouldn't let me. They said I had to get a medical leave if I wanted 60 days, even though company policy allows 60 days unpaid leave every 12 months, at manager's discretion of course.

I think I wouldn't feel so burnt out if I could get away for 60 days. Been working 17 years straight and the longest vacation I have had was 4 weeks. Guess I shouldn't really complain since a lot of people don't get 4 weeks. But I had to threaten to quick just so I can take 4 weeks of vacation.

jmk

Postby jmk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 pm

I took one year spent fixing house, cooking meals, raising son doing errands. Would recommend it. It also recentered me for returning to work: a break from rat race gave me an inner guide to what kind of career advancement I wanted. Spending was much less that year without me driving to work and able to cook cheap home meals. The rub is loss of social security during year without salary.

Noobvestor

Postby Noobvestor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:58 am

I haven't taken a true break since before grad school, but I have let work ebb and flow. I ran a series of (digital) businesses for a while, then sold a few and kept a few, took it easier for a bit. During that period I'd do things like: travel for a month to a city where I have friends, rent a place and spend some time there. Eventually I got antsy and added something I didn't expect: a regular job! I didn't really need the money or even apply (there was no 'opening' exactly) but it's something I really love and believe in and sort of just happened. But after working independently for a long time it has been good to me. At some point I could imagine taking a 'full' break, but ramping down for a bit and back up definitely helped.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

Jazztonight

Postby Jazztonight » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:39 am

It wasn't exactly what most people refer to as a "Sabbatical," but when I was 54 I went from 5 days a week to 2 days a week at my job so I could go back to college and get a degree in music.

I went for 4 years, M, W, and F, and worked T and Th. Not everyone can do this, but I could because of the nature of my work at the time. It was the best 4 years of my life in many ways.

After I got my degree, I never returned to FT again. I just worked 2 days/week until I was eligible for SS. Then I quit and never looked back.

PS--I just got home from a music gig.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

AlohaJoe

Postby AlohaJoe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:00 am

I know many who have done it.

One took a year of unpaid leave to travel the world.

One took four months to travel South America.

One is currently taking a year off to do the Big Lap around Australia with his two kids.

One bought a small sailing boat and is sailing around the world for the next year with his wife and kid.

One took nine months off to go live in India, where his parents were from but he had never visited.

Another couple quit their jobs in Australia to travel South America before eventually finding new jobs in the US.

sunnywindy

Postby sunnywindy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:47 am

I rode my bicycle down the west coast, then across the southern part of the country, and then part of the way up the east coast. Hung out with friends/relatives along the way. Lots of camping and meeting a few other riders. Best decision I ever made.

Some at work were jealous and a few people blurted out they could never do this and I asked why. They couldn't give a real excuse (the ones who really couldn't didn't ask me), so I just think they were afraid. (I don't judge them; they can do whatever they want with their life, but I wonder why they don't orient their life around what they want to do.)

If you are thinking about this idea strongly enough that you feel compelled to ask others opinion on this forum, and if you don't do something about it, I think you will regret not doing anything. You will not regret your sabbatical!!
Powered by chocolate!

rgs92

Postby rgs92 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 am

Don't do it unless you are prepared never to work again. It can often be very hard or even impossible to find a job in your 40s, especially if it's in I.T.
It is certainly very hard if you are not willing to go work anywhere in the country. And the jobs you are offered are mostly temp/contract positions that expire after year (or shorter).

I know many, many people in telecom/I.T. who ended up unemployed or in menial jobs. It's awful out there if you are older. And once you are out for several months you have the Scarlet Letter of Unemployment on you and they look at you like you must be damaged goods and then you spiral downwards as time goes on and your gap gets larger.

Do this only if your intention is maybe to start your own business later.

Hug401k

Postby Hug401k » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 am

I took 4 years off to be a SAHM after I was laid off in the financial crisis. I wouldn't say taking care of toddlers was "recharging" but it did give me some new perspective that I appreciate and don't regret. When I entered back into the same industry 4 years later (hired by a woman who had done something similar) it was at the same rate as 4 years earlier, though I was now reporting to people who used to report to me. That takes some getting used to.

gator15

Postby gator15 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:47 am

I quit my job and took 9 months off in 2008 to travel the world and finish my degree. I got a chance to go to places like Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and various locations across the US. My intent was to take a year off, but the financial crisis altered my plan. Regardless, I still look at 2008 as one of the best years of my life. I left a good job to take the sabbatical. Upon re-entering the job market after my sabbatical I did have to take a 50% pay cut from my previous job. That was tough to deal with for awhile. It took about two years for me to reach my pre-sabbatical earnings. I have no regrets though. In fact, I have another year long sabbatical plan in six years.

GKSD

Postby GKSD » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 am

I take 4-5 weeks of paid vacation every year - most of the times in one 4-week chunk and travel around. Going on leave-of-absence for a year-long sabbatical, I think would do irreparable harm to my job and possibly future job prospects. And there is a chance I might go crazy during the year-long sabbatical. So never even thought about it.

SGM

Postby SGM » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:27 am

I had two mid career hiatuses although they were not equivalent to a sabattical. I took a year off at age 28 to get a masters and 4 years off at age 42 to get a professional degree followed by 3 years of low pay. These both turned out to be great moves financially and personally. I could have retired earlier if I didn't take 4 years off at age 42 because the career change at age 28 was quite lucrative, but I wouldn't have had the same freedom of movement and time with my family if I did not have the hiatus and career change at 42. The professional degree allowed me to no longer be a "wage slave". So basically I had 3 different careers and each had its own rewards. :D

kelway

Postby kelway » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:56 am

Dang @rgs92. I was feeling so good and then I read yours. I'm in IT, 42, and certainly do worry about it. But I liked the "bet on yourself" posts so much more :-/ Sometimes reality bites.

rgs92

Postby rgs92 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Sorry kelway. Maybe if you are in some niche specialty where the technology experience you have is rare and there is decent demand for it you will be OK. Or if you have good contacts who know what you are doing and are waiting for you to return and can get you rehired, then go for it and find yourself.
But if you are just going back to look for a job cold and knocking on doors, look hard before you leap.

In my case, mainstream skills that are still used (in the Unix/Oracle/C/C++ world and a Masters degree) were of no help and I was told over and over by recruiters there were large pools of incoming younger overseas contractors competing with me. I've had piles of emailed rejection letters without even the offer of an interview over the last 10 years and have given up.

I was told that there were some opportunities in places far from me like Texas or North Carolina, but I wasn't in a position to move that far, and they were all just temporary positions anyway. In fact just about every position I had any contact for was temporary.

It sure wasn't like that in my 20s.

halfnine

Postby halfnine » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Both my spouse and I have taken a year off on multiple occasions. It's given us the opportunity to enjoy each phase of our lives. I would echo the comment that taking a year out of the workforce doesn't make much of a difference. Not much really changes. I wouldn't go so far to say that everyone could do it but more people certainly could than do.

kelway

Postby kelway » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:01 am

rgs92 wrote:I was told that there were some opportunities in places far from me like Texas or North Carolina, but I wasn't in a position to move that far, and they were all just temporary positions anyway. In fact just about every position I had any contact for was temporary.

What part of the country do you live in? Maybe I'm more optimistic because I live in Nashville, where I just had a hard time finding a good .NET developer to fill a contract role.

curiouskitty

Postby curiouskitty » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 am

kelway wrote:
rgs92 wrote:I was told that there were some opportunities in places far from me like Texas or North Carolina, but I wasn't in a position to move that far, and they were all just temporary positions anyway. In fact just about every position I had any contact for was temporary.

What part of the country do you live in? Maybe I'm more optimistic because I live in Nashville, where I just had a hard time finding a good .NET developer to fill a contract role.

Yeah I have the same question. In San Francisco, it is so tough to hire developers that we often fly them in from other states to interview even though we're a startup. I think companies that view engineering as a cost rather than the source of profits also have a different outlook (lets get cheap IT workers vs. lets get the best people who can disrupt this industry with software)

bligh

Postby bligh » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:51 am

curiouskitty wrote:
kelway wrote:

Yeah I have the same question. In San Francisco, it is so tough to hire developers that we often fly them in from other states to interview even though we're a startup. I think companies that view engineering as a cost rather than the source of profits also have a different outlook (lets get cheap IT workers vs. lets get the best people who can disrupt this industry with software)

I think a lot of it depends on what set of technologies you have experience in. Every person I speak to in tech agrees that you higher smart and gets things done type of people and technologies/frameworks/languages change so much that you will be learning it on the job anyway for most of the time. Yet I have not seen that when it comes time to make a hire. There is always this "X years using Y technology" requirement." or a "Looking for a <enter specific framework> developer".

There is also a catch-22 in there about needing experience in something to get a job to gain experience in it. If you are an experienced software engineer who takes a break of a few years you could find it incredibly hard to land a decent job.

Angular Developer returns to the job market from his 2 year sabbatical:
"Sorry you only have experience in Angular 1, we dont use that. We need at least 7 years of experience in React, though we might be moving all our code to Aurelia soon."
"But the framework hasn't been around that long!"
"Exactly.. we only hire the best of the best".
"Ah!.. Sorry, I'm just mediocre. I'll show myself out."

brushwood

Postby brushwood » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:56 pm

AmericaninParis wrote:Has anyone here ever taken one? What did you do? Would you recommend it?

I'm 39 and just recently settled down after taking 6 months off work to travel around the US with my wife. We were already planning to move from Denver to St. Pete, Florida and also planning on starting a family soon so we decided to take some time off between those two places, buy a travel trailer and camp our way through as many National Parks, National Forests, etc. as possible. It's possibly the best decision I've ever made and I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to do something like that to take advantage of it while you can.
I am fairly risk averse by nature so this was a bit out of character for me. I was definitely worried that I could end up unemployed or taking a big step down in my career by the time I got to Florida. I work in IT and Denver is a very hot market where it is easy to find a job so I was prepared to lower my expectations in a different market. Fortunately, I was able to find a new job quickly and am actually making more than I was in Denver and without state income tax. Obviously, this is just a single anecdote but I am really glad I took the time to travel while I was young enough to physically do all the things I wanted to do.

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm almost starting year five of my sabbatical and at this point, I'm not going back to work at least in my former field. I told myself when boredom hits, I would go back and do something again but haven't gotten bored yet. What was going to be for a year has now turned into five.

I'm currently fixing up a run down house in a nice neighborhood, raising two kids, doing a lot of volunteering and dabbling in local politics. I'm fortunate that I don't need the money and my wife still works at a job she loves with good healthcare benefits. If one can afford it, I highly recommend it.

Pajamas

Postby Pajamas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Yes, after leaving almost every job I ever had, but I knew that I would not have any trouble getting a new job regardless. A couple of times it was to finish a degree and at other times just for a break, sometimes with specific plans and sometimes with no plans at all.

I would definitely recommend it, but it would be better to have specific plans for at least some of the time spent not working rather than none at all, depending on your field. You may not want to have to explain in a job interview that from April 2017 to September 2019 you weren't doing anything at all except reading on a float in the pool.
Last edited by Pajamas on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim1999

Postby tim1999 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:58 pm

deleted
Last edited by tim1999 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahjane

Postby sarahjane » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I took a one year unpaid leave to travel w/my wife: Nepal; India; East Africa; Indonesia; Australia; NZ and Fiji. Later we joined Peace Corps for 2 years in our 50s. Those were the best years of my career! Friends told me I was a fool--would never find work. That was not a problem. DON'T LET FEAR GOVERN YOUR LIFE!

MP173

Postby MP173 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:00 pm

No, I have been employed for nearly 40 years (two companies) everyday except for one week after college graduation.

I did take a 30 minute nap this afternoon and consider that my mid day sabbatical.

If:
A. I needed a break from career (I dont)
B. Could afford it

Then I would have absolutely no problem with extending the mid day sabbatical into a longer period of time.

Good luck.

Ed

blueblock

Postby blueblock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm

I did, sort of, back in the Eighties. I was doing well in my banking career, and had been taking night classes at college that got me as far as 3rd-year credit. I had this nutty idea that what I most wanted was to take my fourth year as a full-time student. The bank I worked for agreed that, if I would pay for my own relocation expenses, they would guarantee a part-time position in the city where I was accepted. That worked out great, because I had a good part-time income while being a full-time student. It was also a shot in the arm mentally, since they had more work for me than I really wanted, stepping into admin roles to cover for temporary absences.

The academic year was over on a wink, but I wanted more, so I applied to a graduate program in yet another city and was accepted. That was when I parted ways with the bank.

Fast forward, my master's degree in a field that had nothing to do with banking or finance, opened doors for me that I never could have imagined. Long story short, I found a totally new career and excelled there, to the point that I was eventually running the joint.

It's a different world now, but for me, in retrospect, it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

nedsaid

Postby nedsaid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Yes, it is called unemployment.
A fool and his money are good for business.

2Birds1Stone

Postby 2Birds1Stone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:21 am

I have not yet taken one, but am currently in the planning phase.

Plan on taking my first sabbatical on April 1st 2020. That will be my 10 year anniversary with a Megacorp job, right before my 33rd birthday.

Plan on taking 6-9 months off. If I am with my current employer, I am pretty sure I will get it approved. If I am somewhere else, will quit and find something else when I am ready.

My career is flexible, I am in commissioned B2B Enterprise software sales. Financially I will be in a good spot with ~15X living expense portfolio size.

After the sabbatical I can either work a steady 10-15 years and retire, or work 2-4 years at a time taking subsequent time off in between gigs till early 50's.

The power of LBYM is incredible, and I didn't arrive at this point overnight.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”