Valspar mix Reserve and Optimus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Church Lady

Valspar mix Reserve and Optimus

Post by Church Lady » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:11 pm

I notice Ace hardware has sale on Valspar Optimus, buy 2 get 1. I started my project with Valpar Reserve. What are the implications of switching to another grade? Should I do it?
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Sheepdog

Re: Valspar mix Reserve and Optimus

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:27 pm

I do not have experience with either of these products. However, I spent my career in paint research and manufacturing so I have some outside experience. I would believe that the two products will have a different appearance, hiding, washability, possibly sheen and durability.
Paint companies usually have different quality paint lines. Generally, in the same company, the higher priced flat interior paint will be of a higher quality in comparison with another of their paint lines. Assuming you like what you have seen so far, you probably should stay with what you are using. However, if you would like to change, definitely do not apply both in the same room.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

drawpoker

Re: Valspar mix Reserve and Optimus

Post by drawpoker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 am

Most significant feature of the more expensive Valspar brand is that it is the only one of the non (or very low) VOC paints that Ace chain carries.

For amateurs doing their own paint jobs this can be important. To avoid the headache and having to smell the strong odor that can last for days after completing a painting project. I can attest that this claim is true as I recently painted my front door with Valspar Optimus.

Have you checked with the store? I suspect the difference is something as straightforward as one is interior and the other exterior, one is gloss and one is matte. Something that would definitely affect your choice of paint for the particular project.
Also, if you very recently bought paint from Ace, they may honor the sale offering by giving you the discount on the same stuff you already bought.