What is ideal master bedroom size?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
davebo

What is ideal master bedroom size?

Postby davebo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 am

Just curious if everyone's opinions. We are doing an addition and trying not to overdue it unnecessarily. Our plan calls for a 14 by 13 master, 13 by 6 closet, and then a decent sized bathroom.

My only pause is whether we should expand the master a couple feet even though we really won't use the room but will make it feel more spacious. Thoughts?

timmy

Re: What is ideal master bedroom size?

Postby timmy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:08 am

Your room size is very reasonable. When we expand, we went to 14' x 16' (from memory). It still feels luxurious with a king size bed and the standard dresser arrangement.

Sandtrap

Postby Sandtrap » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 am

12x10 works
30x40 is nicer

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 am

timmy wrote:Your room size is very reasonable. When we expand, we went to 14' x 16' (from memory). It still feels luxurious with a king size bed and the standard dresser arrangement.

that is how I would sized it. Lay out minimum requirements.

I would want a king bed with side tables, two dressers and a reasonable space for a comfortable chair like a cushioned rocker for a visitor for someone who might be ill in bed or to use for reading. Maybe a small bookshelf or two.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cherijoh

Postby cherijoh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 am

davebo wrote:Just curious if everyone's opinions. We are doing an addition and trying not to overdue it unnecessarily. Our plan calls for a 14 by 13 master, 13 by 6 closet, and then a decent sized bathroom.

My only pause is whether we should expand the master a couple feet even though we really won't use the room but will make it feel more spacious. Thoughts?

This is going to totally depend on your circumstances. Have you got a queen bed or a California King? Big chunk furniture or sleek modern lines? Do you want to add in a cozy sitting area? Space for exercise equipment?

How much closet space have you currently got? Are all the other closets filled with off-season clothes? Do you want a Jacuzzi tub or a large shower enclosure?

If I were you, I would measure off your existing furniture (or prospective furniture if you plan to buy new) and do various furniture layouts for various size bedrooms. (Google furniture layout planner for some software options). Also pay attention to the placement of the windows - especially if you want your bed between the windows. You want to go for spacious not cavernous - a room can actually be TOO big for the furniture which is probably not be the effect you are seeking.

LiveSimple

Postby LiveSimple » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 am

It depends, on individual preferences, location and can we afford.
What may be a pigeon hole, in Arkansas, will be a luxury in New York !

TLC1957

Postby TLC1957 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 am

Also consider a higher ceiling 9' vs 8' it will give the room a larger feel. The room size can vary it really depends on the location of doors and windows and how well you can place the furniture. Look at traffic patterns and how the room will flow. Moving a window a few feet or changing the door swing from in to out or using a sliding door can make a big difference. Planning planning and more planning will help you work the problems out. We used an architect do design our addition and glad we did, how we had the room layout and what he did was just amazing. We had him develop specifications for the job so all contractors were bidding apples to apples, made the process much easier in the long run. Getting permits for the job by having an architect plans was also much easier.

Saving$

Postby Saving$ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:41 am

Size sounds very reasonable. On the closets, instead of one 13'x6' closet, can you do two 6.5'x6' closets? That will provide more wall space, which makes the closet more useable.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:43 am

Big enough that an 80" TV will look great in it

Big enough to have some gym equipment along the side with full-length windows while not crowding out the rest of the room.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

orca91

Postby orca91 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 am

Ideal.... for whom?

There is no way we can answer this for you, OP. It's your house, your place, your space, etc...

Mine is 11x15, so yours sounds plenty fine. Others may say, 20x25 at a minimum....

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

davebo wrote:Just curious if everyone's opinions. We are doing an addition and trying not to overdue it unnecessarily. Our plan calls for a 14 by 13 master, 13 by 6 closet, and then a decent sized bathroom.

His and Hers closets and a larger bathroom would be far more valuable to than an oversized master bedroom. I definitely am not a fan of sitting areas. FWIW, I have a large master bedroom, and to me more important than the size is that it is configured so the furniture (dressers, bed, nightstands and TV) fit in it naturally and comfortably.
Run, You Clever Boy!

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 am

There's no ideal. Ours is about 15x25 with a jet tub room off it that's 12x12, closets sort of in between with on bath on one side next to the jet tub room (with a door in between) and another that's a small 8x10. But out house is extremely strange and the master was a result of an addition to get rid of a useless solar greenhouse. We do like the space. King size bed with side tables and over 15 more feet to one side. I will say that I do like the size of it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 am

Ours is 12 x 15. I think you have to decide - do you want room for a sitting area, or is that something you would never use and therefore better to allocate space to some other area?

12 x 15 is only large enough for a king bed and associated dresser and chest of drawers. But, I would much rather spend my time in the main part of the house, so I am fine with that size.

msk

Postby msk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 am

Much easier to say what is a very comfortable minimum; just look up layouts for 5-star hotels on Booking.com, etc. Walk-in closets can never be big enough for my DW. She has two + one for me. Bathrooms: we have two. She also has a dressing room. Sitting area: we have sofas for seven... Having designed and built numerous homes and apartments I would say that the most important thing is to sort out the positioning of the furniture, windows, etc. precisely before freezing the final design. Positioning is far more critical than sizing. Can be exasperating to realize later that you have put French Doors out to the patio exactly where DW wishes to place the bed.

Silk McCue

Postby Silk McCue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 am

Our closet is the same size, it works well for us. Like anything else it gets filled up. Our master with a king bed is a couple of feet wider each way than your proposed number and for me I wouldn't want it to be any less and don't need anymore. Having a good amount of room on each side of the bed is very nice. Bathroom is large with ample double sink areas along with area in between with a lowered top by a few inches my wife uses to sit at to do makeup etc, jacuzzi tub we never use, a nice walk in shower, and a separate small toilet area. Enjoy!

Watty

Postby Watty » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 am

It would be good to make sure that the dimensions and bathroom are wheelchair friendly since you might need that some day.

Even if you don't make it fully accessible a few things like wider doors and grab rails in the shower are easy to add now but could save you a lot of trouble later.

I know someone that was in a car accident and had to use a wheelchair for about six months. They had to delay their return from the hospital/rehab center while some basic modifications were being done to to their house to make it practicable for them to get around in a wheelchair.

Ninnie

Postby Ninnie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Our master bedroom is the same, 13" x 14", and it is perfect for us. We can comfortably fit a queen bed, two nightstands, an armchair, a large dresser, and a standing mirror. It feels spacious enough, but not too much so. I'm sure a king would fit, but in that scenario we would probably have to move the armchair that currently fits to the side of the bed/nightstands, and the room would look more cramped. If you have a king bed, you may want to expand by a couple feet on the wall where the bed will be.

Our closet is 7.5" by 6.5". It feel like standard walk in closet and is enough for us. Your closet seems very long to me.

Clever_Username

Postby Clever_Username » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm

The obvious first question is "where are you?" In NYC, a 14x13 apartment might run you five figures a month in some neighborhoods. In parts of Texas, your closet could be that big in a decent house.

That having been said, I live in a one bedroom apartment and my only bedroom is 11.5' x 15.5' . I can't imagine being happy with a master bedroom that small long-term, especially since your situation is a "we."
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, [i]Layer Cake[/i]

BIGal

Postby BIGal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Guess it does depend on size of bed and how much furniture...You may be interested to learn of a new trend in housing:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-secret ... 1489672201

btenny

Postby btenny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 pm

It depends on the home and the neighborhood. A small ranch house needs a small master to match. A big suburban home in a very good location needs a big bedroom and setting space and a big closet and a big bathroom. Plus in your case what can you afford and what do you want?

Small is 13 x 13 or so. Large is 20 x 20 or bigger. I have 15 x 15 bedroom in my retirement ranch home with a 5 x 10 closet and 5 x 12 bath. That is a great size and more than enough room for my wife and I. Most every home in that neighborhood has a similar master. I also have second home that is bigger. It has a big 20 x 16 master and a giant 12 x 12 bath and a 12 x 6 closet. We do not need that much space but the home came with that space. It is a big over the garage bedroom setup. All the homes in that neighborhood are two stories and have big masters. So it depends.

Good Luck.

randomguy

Postby randomguy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Ignoring things like reseale, the size will depend on your usage. It is easy to sketch out what you need to hold a king, 2 tables, dresser,... . That is great if all you do is sleep in your bedroom. If the bedroom is more of a retreat with couch, tv, fireplace, and so on you can rapidly add space. I am thining 14x13 is about right for a sleeping only room Maybe 14x15 if you want a big furniture. You can double it if you throw in more stuff.

Best way to do this is go to some open houses and measure the master to see what they look like in real life.

dm200

Postby dm200 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Is the "master bedroom" for one or two? For example, I probably would not want a very large master bedroom because my wife would spend time doing things (not sleeping) that would disturb my sleep and/or I might spend time doing things that would disturb her sleep.

I would lean towards an adjacent room/area where my wife or I could "do things" without disturbing the other's sleep (or very quiet time).

Certainly, though, opinions and personalities vary. Circumstances can also change - such as schedules, illness, other family members and responsibilities.

CaliJim

Postby CaliJim » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Depends on layout. Google will give you lots of interesting layouts to ponder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=master+ ... 60&bih=864

The big home builders have been refining their layouts for years. Example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pulte+h ... 60&bih=864
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

DaftInvestor

Postby DaftInvestor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Ours is 16x24 which is a bit bigger than yours but we have a comfortable reading chair in it in addition to a King Bed, 3 dressers, 2 night stands, and a bookcase. We used to a have an inefficiently shaped clothes rack (non-used exercise-bike) in place of the reading chair.
I like the idea of using a layout tool to see how your furniture would fit.

davebo

Postby davebo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Our current bedroom is 11.5x14" and we fit a queen bed, 1 nightstand, 1 armoire, and 1 standard sized dresser. We really only use the bedroom for sleeping, so I guess it makes sense that we're not wasting space but I would consider the room to be fairly small. I guess since we're picking up an extra 1.5", that will kind of absorb the size of the furniture.

Our old house had a master bedroom that was 15.9"x12.9". I was thinking that seemed like a perfect amount of space, but my wife points out that we didn't need the extra 2 feet because it was just wasted between the bed and the wall. I guess she has a point, but you just wonder by removing that space does the room go from "This is a nice room" to "This now feels a little cramped".

I kinda get that unused space feels wasteful, but removing it could make a room feel cramped.

dm200

Postby dm200 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 am

davebo wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Our current bedroom is 11.5x14" and we fit a queen bed, 1 nightstand, 1 armoire, and 1 standard sized dresser. We really only use the bedroom for sleeping, so I guess it makes sense that we're not wasting space but I would consider the room to be fairly small. I guess since we're picking up an extra 1.5", that will kind of absorb the size of the furniture.

Our old house had a master bedroom that was 15.9"x12.9". I was thinking that seemed like a perfect amount of space, but my wife points out that we didn't need the extra 2 feet because it was just wasted between the bed and the wall. I guess she has a point, but you just wonder by removing that space does the room go from "This is a nice room" to "This now feels a little cramped".

I kinda get that unused space feels wasteful, but removing it could make a room feel cramped.

1. Would you (or might you) ever want a King size bed?

2. If your wife is perfectly happy - in this case, you should be as well.:)

jucor

Postby jucor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:01 pm

msk wrote:Much easier to say what is a very comfortable minimum; just look up layouts for 5-star hotels on Booking.com, etc. Walk-in closets can never be big enough for my DW. She has two + one for me. Bathrooms: we have two. She also has a dressing room. Sitting area: we have sofas for seven... Having designed and built numerous homes and apartments I would say that the most important thing is to sort out the positioning of the furniture, windows, etc. precisely before freezing the final design. Positioning is far more critical than sizing. Can be exasperating to realize later that you have put French Doors out to the patio exactly where DW wishes to place the bed.

Do you really have sofas for 7 in your bedroom? Why would you have that many people sitting in your bedroom? Don't you have a living room?

Our master is 12 x 15. It works. we sleep there. We live in the rest of the house.

dm200

Postby dm200 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 pm

jucor wrote:
msk wrote:Much easier to say what is a very comfortable minimum; just look up layouts for 5-star hotels on Booking.com, etc. Walk-in closets can never be big enough for my DW. She has two + one for me. Bathrooms: we have two. She also has a dressing room. Sitting area: we have sofas for seven... Having designed and built numerous homes and apartments I would say that the most important thing is to sort out the positioning of the furniture, windows, etc. precisely before freezing the final design. Positioning is far more critical than sizing. Can be exasperating to realize later that you have put French Doors out to the patio exactly where DW wishes to place the bed.

Do you really have sofas for 7 in your bedroom? Why would you have that many people sitting in your bedroom? Don't you have a living room?
Our master is 12 x 15. It works. we sleep there. We live in the rest of the house.

I am so tempted to make a "Political Comment" here, but shall refrain.

msk

Postby msk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm

I have designed most of the houses we lived in over the years, a hobby that turned out very profitable because amazingly few people are courageous enough to build, rather than buy. I.e. you get to make a significant profit each time you move, the developer profit margin. Something that comes up when designing a two-storey house is that you almost always end up with too many sq ft upstairs, especially when the house is built with concrete (flat roof). Consequently you end up with either too many bedrooms or too many balconies. After myself and DW put in the specifications for all that we wanted downstairs, way OTT, the quandary remained; do we have extra-large bedrooms, extra-large balconies (a major headache for cleaning!), more bedrooms, etc. Hence we ended up with a massive master bedroom. Of course, silly. But what is, is :D This is probably our final retirement home. Hopefully our heirs will make a huge profit by selling to some equally misguided buyer who feels he has been squeezed into cramped homes all his life and it's high time he spread out. Silly? of course. But that's what makes the world a fun place, diversity in points of view.

WildBill

Postby WildBill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:47 pm

msk wrote:I have designed most of the houses we lived in over the years, a hobby that turned out very profitable because amazingly few people are courageous enough to build, rather than buy.

Howdy. I liked this a lot.

Courageous is certainly one word for it. There are also others, based on my observations of the follies and disasters of friends and relatives in building their dream homes. Glad it worked for you. Bravo, and well done. :beer

I would not build at the point of a gun. I have found it easier to find what you want in inventory and remodel as required.

To return to the main point - the ideal size of the master bedroom is whatever your wife says it is. Any other opinion is irrelevant. :D

Happy building

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

daveydoo

Postby daveydoo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:34 am

How big of a crowd are you expecting? How many wives? OP, too little information.

If it's just the one, I think your original estimate seems fine. The whole "we need a big room because we just bought giant furniture" or the "we need giant furniture so it looks to scale in our giant room" thing is a bottomless pit of excess, imo. I would plan it on graph paper or Illustrator and visit some local homes for sale where the master dimensions are shown on the floorplan. I think you'll quickly see what's too small and what's (maybe) too big.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”