Quietest tire for 2017 Honda CRV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Quietest tire for 2017 Honda CRV?

Postby CULater » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Quiet and smooth ride are top priorities for me. Haven't test-driven yet, but supposedly the new 2017 Honda CRV is much quieter than previous models. Even so, if/when I buy one I'd like to include in the deal an upgrade to the quietest replacement tire I can get at the Honda dealer. The originals are HanKook. Soliciting recommendations.

Loik098

Re: Quietest tire for 2017 Honda CRV?

Postby Loik098 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:21 am

Go to tirerack.com, pull up your vehicle, and then compare as many different tires as you want that fit on it.

Consumer surveys on this website will rate each tire on multiple criteria, including the two that are most important to you.

daveydoo

Postby daveydoo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 am

CULater wrote:if/when I buy one I'd like to include in the deal an upgrade to the quietest replacement tire I can get at the Honda dealer. The originals are HanKook.

I don't think you'll get that deal.

Also, know that OEM tires on not-bottom-of-the-line vehicles are specifically mated to the model and often compensate for ride/noise/handling limitations of the vehicle. My non-OEM tire "upgrades" for an older CR-V were all disappointing, irrespective of the wonderful CR and TireRack reviews.

wallygator

Postby wallygator » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 am

Michelin

Vermonster

Postby Vermonster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:49 am

If quiet is important to you, make sure you read extensively online about the noise issues with the CRV's CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

After reading hundreds on posts online we concluded we were unwilling to gamble that the issue seen with 2015-2016 models is not present in 2017.

Honda does seem to be using active noise reduction in the 2017 model which should help reduce perceived noise. Perhaps the 2017 will finally resolve the issue...it was just not a gamble we will take.

Jim Profit

Postby Jim Profit » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 am

Loik098 wrote:Go to tirerack.com, pull up your vehicle, and then compare as many different tires as you want that fit on it.

Consumer surveys on this website will rate each tire on multiple criteria, including the two that are most important to you.

Tirerack.com is generally excellent, however since Goodyear started selling tires on their own website they have prohibited Tirerack from listing Goodyear products any more. Check out the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tire, assuming they are available in the correct size for your CRV. We just had a set installed on a 2008 Honda Odyssey (which is well-known for letting a lot of road noise in) and the noise reduction difference over the Michelin Defenders they replaced was truly startling. The Defenders were no slouch either.

Alexa9

Postby Alexa9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:34 am

Michelin Primacy

Carpentermaass84

Postby Carpentermaass84 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 am

NO... Listen to me, please. Have a body shop perform two hours of work and take out your front wheel well liners (the plastic liners that surround your front tires. Simply apply this https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11102-Dy ... amat+liner to the rear-side of each liner and then have the liners placed back on the vehicle. I did this job myself on my 2017 CRV and the car is literally coffin quiet now. Regardless of how badly graded the roads here in Texas are none of the noise is transferring into the cabin. Replacing your tires will not net you anywhere near the same level of noise reduction.

Loik098

Postby Loik098 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Carpentermaass84 wrote:NO... Listen to me, please. Have a body shop perform two hours of work and take out your front wheel well liners (the plastic liners that surround your front tires. Simply apply this https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11102-Dy ... amat+liner to the rear-side of each liner and then have the liners placed back on the vehicle.

Interesting suggestion. Why not apply it to all four tires? Could it be used just as effectively on the doors?

Toons

Postby Toons » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 pm

wallygator wrote:Michelin

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

bloom2708

Postby bloom2708 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Cooper
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

momvesting

Postby momvesting » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Just a little FYI- usually for those types of vehicles, car tires are the quietest while truck/SUV tires are the best for handing if you have AWD. So, if you go with a quieter tire you may not have the best traction in bad weather.

JimmyD

Postby JimmyD » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Alexa9 wrote:Michelin Primacy

Had these on a Mercedes C300 and they were stellar.

ram

Postby ram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm

wallygator wrote:Michelin

Agree. Based on my last 3 sets of tires.
Ram

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 am

Loik098 wrote:
Carpentermaass84 wrote:NO... Listen to me, please. Have a body shop perform two hours of work and take out your front wheel well liners (the plastic liners that surround your front tires. Simply apply this https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11102-Dy ... amat+liner to the rear-side of each liner and then have the liners placed back on the vehicle.

Interesting suggestion. Why not apply it to all four tires? Could it be used just as effectively on the doors?

Diminishing returns? I'd guess the proximity to the driver makes noise coming from front wheels more significant than rear. You could add them to the door as well. I'd like to know which is more effective. There's always going all out and doing everything including the floor, headliner and engine.

Midpack

Postby Midpack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 am

Jim Profit wrote:
Loik098 wrote:Go to tirerack.com, pull up your vehicle, and then compare as many different tires as you want that fit on it.

Tirerack.com is generally excellent, however since Goodyear started selling tires on their own website they have prohibited Tirerack from listing Goodyear products any more. Check out the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tire, assuming they are available in the correct size for your CRV. We just had a set installed on a 2008 Honda Odyssey (which is well-known for letting a lot of road noise in) and the noise reduction difference over the Michelin Defenders they replaced was truly startling. The Defenders were no slouch either.

+1. I can't remember when I last bought tires without thoroughly researching on tire rack.com first (and I've bought from tirerack.com more than half the time.

And it so happens we had/have Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tires on my wife's car. They were so good I just replaced with the same. The first set went 60K miles - probably would have gone another 10K+ but I don't take chances with my wife's car. Happy wife, happy life. :)
You only live once...

Carpentermaass84

Postby Carpentermaass84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 am

inbox788 wrote:
Loik098 wrote:

Diminishing returns? I'd guess the proximity to the driver makes noise coming from front wheels more significant than rear. You could add them to the door as well. I'd like to know which is more effective. There's always going all out and doing everything including the floor, headliner and engine.

First car I did this job on I modified the doors first and barely noticed any difference in perceived road noise. The amount of labor involved did not justify the end result. I bought a 2012 E class a few years back (complete turd) and deadened the rear-wheel wells under the impression that a majority of the road noise would come from the trunk, backseat. Once again I hardly noticed a difference. Following the advice a sound tech at a car accessory shop I did the same to my front wheel wells and I immediately noticed a DRASTIC (%50+) reduction in road noise. Total cost to me for the front wheels - $250. I spent in excess of $700 having Primacy MX4's installed and they didn't produce anywhere near the same level of noise reduction.

CULater

Postby CULater » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 am

What are the chances of taking a new car into Discount Tire and getting a good deal on swapping out the OEM tires for a set of Michelins? Do they do such a thing?

Frugal Al

Postby Frugal Al » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 am

There's no doubt that a vehicle that lacks sound deadening insulation can benefit from a product like DynaMat. I installed it myself in a Miata to correct a resonance that bothered me. The process can be hit or miss, and it is not inexpensive if not doing it yourself. I have yet to see an instance where a quality set of tires, when replacing a noisier, generally lower grade tire, didn't help quiet the road noise in a vehicle. I prefer Michelin, but Pirelli and Continental have some decent tires. In most cases the premium tires can also provide superior driving characteristics (particularly wet weather)--that's a double win for just a marginal price increase over the lesser tire. Tire replacement is a necessity at some point, in my opinion it's not a place to cheap out.

researcher

Postby researcher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 am

CULater wrote:Quiet and smooth ride are top priorities for me. Haven't test-driven yet, but supposedly the new 2017 Honda CRV is much quieter than previous models. Even so, if/when I buy one I'd like to include in the deal an upgrade to the quietest replacement tire I can get at the Honda dealer. The originals are HanKook. Soliciting recommendations.

You haven't even driven the vehicle yet, so what makes you think the OEM tires are not sufficiently quiet for your tastes?
The OEM tires could be whisper quiet, or just as quiet as any other replacement tire on the market.

Why not figure this out first by actually driving the car, before pursuing this plan of replacing the stock tires.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 pm

researcher wrote:
CULater wrote:Quiet and smooth ride are top priorities for me. Haven't test-driven yet, but supposedly the new 2017 Honda CRV is much quieter than previous models. Even so, if/when I buy one I'd like to include in the deal an upgrade to the quietest replacement tire I can get at the Honda dealer. The originals are HanKook. Soliciting recommendations.

You haven't even driven the vehicle yet, so what makes you think the OEM tires are not sufficiently quiet for your tastes?
The OEM tires could be whisper quiet, or just as quiet as any other replacement tire on the market.

Why not figure this out first by actually driving the car, before pursuing this plan of replacing the stock tires.

I searched 2017 crv and the only one to come up is the:

Firestone DESTINATION LE 2 Highway All-Season
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... 5HR0DLE2XL
8.7 Noise

I randomly picked the Optimo among the Hankook ones to see how they rated:

Hankook OPTIMO H727 Standard Touring All-Season
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... ptimo+H727
7.8 Noise

I use these as guidelines, but with about a point difference on the top end, I wouldn't expect too much difference practically. You might notice a difference, but I think that's probably about all.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”