Jungle Disk now $8/month minimum...thinking of dropping it for Dropbox and Evernote

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sphinx

Jungle Disk now $8/month minimum...thinking of dropping it for Dropbox and Evernote

Post by Sphinx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:09 pm

I was an early adopter of Jungle Disk, so I got grandfathered into a base premium of $1/month + $0.15/GB. Until this week, I've been paying ~$3.30/month to back up just under 16GB to Jungle Disk. It's been a reliable backup service. When my hard drive died a few years ago, I successfully recovered everything backed up in my Jungle Disk folder.

Sometime after I started using Jungle Disk to back up statements and tax returns, I got Dropbox to back up media and project files. After that, I started paying for an Evernote Premium account. For a long time, I've thought about cancelling Jungle Disk and rolling everything into Dropbox and/or Evernote to save myself ~$40/year on Jungle Disk. I have two-factor authentication on Dropbox and Evernote, so I consider them "secure enough." I'm also keeping newer Social Security and tax documents on Evernote. The only thing holding me back from cancelling Jungle Disk was inertia and the darned cheapness of Jungle Disk.

That ended this week with an $8 charge for Jungle Disk. I'm not sure when (or if?) they announced it to existing customers, but the minimum pricing for Jungle Disk is now $8 ($4 per employee with a 2-employee minimum). My latest invoice included a $4.70 charge to bring up the total to $8.

Jungle Disk is a good service, but I'm not sure it's worth $96/year to me when I already pay $134/year for Dropbox and Evernote. I'm thinking of moving my most sensitive documents to Evernote and the rest to Dropbox, then cancelling Jungle Disk.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Re: Jungle Disk now $8/month minimum...thinking of dropping it for Dropbox and Evernote

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:59 pm

I have "heard" that Google drive gives a fair amount of storage for free. Anyone have experience with that? I don't want to update my Dropbox and it is full.

jebmke

Re: Jungle Disk now $8/month minimum...thinking of dropping it for Dropbox and Evernote

Post by jebmke » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 pm

I think Google Drive is 15 gb free. Of course, copying files to a cloud drive is not a proper backup. Better than nothing though.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Neither Dropbox or Evernote are a backup service. Dropbox is a sync service primarily. It has some backup features, but unless you pay for their more expensive plans, you only get (I believe it's still) 30 days to recover a deleted file. If you delete something accidentally, and don't notice within 30 days, it's gone forever.

For cloud backups, I can't say enough good things about Crashplan. Starts at $5/month for unlimited storage. I too was an early adopter of Jungle Disk, but left probably 5-6 years ago for Crashplan. It has been flawless, even once we expanded it to our business network.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:15 am

onourway wrote:For cloud backups, I can't say enough good things about Crashplan. Starts at $5/month for unlimited storage. I too was an early adopter of Jungle Disk, but left probably 5-6 years ago for Crashplan. It has been flawless, even once we expanded it to our business network.
+1 for CrashPlan

I have used it for many years. It has never let me down a single time. I back up 7 computers using a family plan. It allows for unlimited backup and stores unlimited versions for an unlimited duration. I don't know how they can offer the service so cheaply. It's not quite as simple to use as BackBlaze, or some of the other competitors, but it's not that complicated either. I recommend it to everyone.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:21 am

I get 17 GB with Google Drive, the extra 2 GB from having done a 2016 security checkup of theirs (not sure if there's a 2017 equivalent), and I keep pretty much everything there. I was using it to sync Classic YNAB between my Mac laptop and PC desktop but it keeps a lot of small files due to its diff file structure, so I got annoyed and just keep that on my laptop now. Otherwise, I love Drive (and their entire app suite), but fwiw I've never paid for or otherwise used a competitor, so ymmv.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am

I had serious issues with crashplan after i got a new laptop and hD drive and I wanted to stay afresh with the new laptop, meaning not copying all my files to the be laptop.

Crashplan made it really easy to accidentally lose all my old data, which is what actually happened. Be sure you know the protocol they with crashplan with new computers if you dont plan on continuously moving all old files to the new.

I now use a combo of Amazon cloud and gdrive for my h safer and reliable results for myself. With no worries of file loss when crashplan tries to forget my old files since they're no longer there on my new laptop.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:25 am

I keep two copies of all my important files on 2 external hard drives and also back them up to Crashplan. The most important files are also on flash drives stored in my safe deposit box.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 am

I maintain two automated local backups (incremental with Time Machine going back to 12/22/14 and bootable nightly clones) of my main drives, a backup of photos and key documents to OneDrive, and a comprehensive backup to CrashPlan (currently holding 8.7TB). The largest bit of that data is on a RAID 5 box and is mirrored to a drive downstairs. (We have 10 TB storage available through OneDrive because of our Office 365 subscription, but it's not really designed to be a backup solution. It just mirrors the OneDrive folder.)

CrashPlan seems quite reliable, but is somewhat slow uploading data. I only got 5-6 MB/s and it took about 3 weeks for the initial 8 TB upload. I got better, but not great speeds testing a restore. It would probably take a few days to restore the entire 8+TB. But if I need it, my house probably burned down, so that delay will not be my biggest headache.

My gaming PC is actually not backed up, other than it also saving key files in the mirrored OneDrive. Essentially all the games now are purchased through cloud services (Steam, Ubisoft, Origin, etc.) and with the way they store encryption keys, file backups are essentially useless. And Windows makes it essentially impossible to make bootable clone backups the way I do with my Mac.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 am

Are you doing a true backup (with versioning) or just a mirror?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 am

jebmke wrote:Are you doing a true backup (with versioning) or just a mirror?
I wasn't sure whom you were addressing, but mine is a mixed bag. Time Machine does full versioning. I have it set to back up hourly, saving hourly versions for 24 hours, daily versions for a month, and weekly for all previous months until it needs to purge due to space. It's oldest current backup is December 22, 2014.

My clones are not versioned. Every morning at 2 AM, two partitions are mounted, my boot drive and main data drive are cloned (only changed data is copied, deleted files are deleted) with Carbon Copy Cloner, and the partitions are dismounted. I can mount them and boot from the boot drive if needed.

CrashPlan does do versioning. I use fairly conservative settings: daily for a week, weekly for 90 days, monthly for the current and previous years.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:11 am

I missed that you are using CP for a true backup. Looks like a good plan overall. I also backup two ways. One is to my NAS so I have quick access. For that I use FreeFileSync which also does versioning. The cloud is sort of the last resort (something happens to my NAS).
Last edited by jebmke on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

langleybc

Post by langleybc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:13 am

Have you looked into apple iCloud drive if you are in the apple's eco systems?

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:42 am

I use Amazon's Glacier storage for archival data using the free front end program FastGlacier. Costs me about a quarter each month for ~70GB ($0.004 per GB / month).

For regularly changing data, I have a lifetime 1TB Zoolz service. They offer lifetime service for <$100 (IIRC) once in a while.
My signature has been deleted.

macheta

Post by macheta » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 am

I use both Google Drive and One Drive both are free for the storage. additional layer of security I use minilock on the items needed to be secured prior to upload.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:53 pm

indexfundfan wrote:I use Amazon's Glacier storage for archival data using the free front end program FastGlacier. Costs me about a quarter each month for ~70GB ($0.004 per GB / month).

For regularly changing data, I have a lifetime 1TB Zoolz service. They offer lifetime service for <$100 (IIRC) once in a while.
The Amazon Glacier looks like a great deal. Checked out the website, but it looks like it is written for techies. Would this be an appropriate solution for an average user? The sum total of my data is about 55 GB...

The Fast Glacier site states:
1. it does client side encryption. Does this mean with the client encryption enabled, it would be safe to upload tax statements, etc.?
2. It will sync. Does this mean you can use it for backup, as well as for synching across computers (maybe with the backup in one set of files, and the synced files as a separate set, which in my case would total 110 GB, but at $0.004/GB/month, the total would still only be $0.44/month...

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Saving$ wrote:
indexfundfan wrote:I use Amazon's Glacier storage for archival data using the free front end program FastGlacier. Costs me about a quarter each month for ~70GB ($0.004 per GB / month).

The Amazon Glacier looks like a great deal. Checked out the website, but it looks like it is written for techies. Would this be an appropriate solution for an average user? The sum total of my data is about 55 GB...

The Fast Glacier site states:
1. it does client side encryption. Does this mean with the client encryption enabled, it would be safe to upload tax statements, etc.?
2. It will sync. Does this mean you can use it for backup, as well as for synching across computers (maybe with the backup in one set of files, and the synced files as a separate set, which in my case would total 110 GB, but at $0.004/GB/month, the total would still only be $0.44/month...
Amazon Glacier is meant for archival. There is a separate cost for retrieval.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

Because of this, I don't think it is very suited as a sync'ing service. I use Amazon Glacier for archiving family photos and videos, as well as once-a-year data snapshots, i.e. data that will not change.

Data on Amazon Glacier is encrypted. But I also use client-side encryption on the FastGlacier program.
My signature has been deleted.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Amazon Prime accounts can upload unlimited photos. Not sure how it treats videos.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Use Amazon cloud drive. 55 dollars or so a year for u limited backup. Comes with Amazon photos with unlimited photo and video backup that is automated off your phone if you use prime photos.

There is a way to sync an entire folder from your cpu with prime online but it's a little Janky.

Honestly, I work in gdocs for all office work which autosyncs so I have no need for sync. Photo and video sync was cured by prime photos.

bamn

Post by bamn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Amazon Cloud Drive is about $60 per year and has unlimited space. You can use it like you'd use Dropbox - or you can buy a program called Arq to back up a computer to it (supports client-side encryption, and so on).

Crashplan is $60 per year and includes the software. Unlimited space once again. It's a backup solution only.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:39 pm

I just noticed that my OneDrive quota was recently reduced to 1 TB from 10 TB. I knew that they had dropped it from unlimited to 10 TB, but apparently they've cut it further. I see older complaints online about them cutting it further to 1 TB, but I also see other complaints from this week. A couple of weeks ago, I was still at 10 TB, so I don't know when I was downgraded. I guess whatever grandfathering I had expired.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 pm

jhfenton wrote:I just noticed that my OneDrive quota was recently reduced to 1 TB from 10 TB. I knew that they had dropped it from unlimited to 10 TB, but apparently they've cut it further. A couple of weeks ago, I was still at 10 TB, so I don't know when I was downgraded.
You may be misreading. They were at 10gb and recently dropped to 5gb for the free version. They have various upgrades starting with 50gb for $1.99 per month.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:58 pm

jebmke wrote:
jhfenton wrote:I just noticed that my OneDrive quota was recently reduced to 1 TB from 10 TB. I knew that they had dropped it from unlimited to 10 TB, but apparently they've cut it further. A couple of weeks ago, I was still at 10 TB, so I don't know when I was downgraded.
You may be misreading. They were at 10gb and recently dropped to 5gb for the free version. They have various upgrades starting with 50gb for $1.99 per month.
No. I am not misreading. I have an Office 365 subscription. It used to come with unlimited. Then it was cut to 10 TB. Now it is 1 TB.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Ah, OK. Yes, they have been cutting the quotas. I don't use office so I didn't follow what happened with that plan.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Google Drive here.
If I need more ,there is Amazon or One Drive,
Or my 2 terabyte external hard drive.
:D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:10 pm

jebmke wrote:Ah, OK. Yes, they have been cutting the quotas. I don't use office so I didn't follow what happened with that plan.
Yeah. They botched the PR. It was a great example of how not to do things. I don't think many would complain about them offering 1 TB with Office 365 subscriptions, but they announced UNLIMITED! in fall 2014 to much fanfare. And then a year later they say, nah, nevermind, people were abusing it, we're going to cut it. They could have put in a fair use clause, or a generous, but not unlimited limit, without essentially taking it back entirely.

What's confusing is that some fall 2015 articles say it was cut to 1 TB then, while others say 10 TB. And then there are a couple spring 2016 articles talking about a further cut to 1 TB from 10 TB. But I know I was still at 10 TB a couple of weeks ago.