Best place to get eyeglasses / no vision insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lightheir

Re: Best place to get eyeglasses / no vision insurance

Post by lightheir » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Online is the cheapest (by far) if you via Zenni, eyebuydirect, or similar priced outfit. Even cheaper than Costco (by a fair amount, too).

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:36 pm

stan1 wrote:I bought a pair from Warby Parker last year and will probably do so again.
Another vote for Warby Parker.

The OP didn't really define the criteria for "best place", but if it means reasonable prices for fashionable designs, WP fits the bill.
Stay on target...

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Costco all the way. I just got my eye exam at Costco a couple of days ago, and have done so for a number of years. I have a vision plan, but paying Costco Optical out of pocket is far cheaper than using the vision plan--for the exam, the eyeglasses, and contact lenses.

Looks like the cost for the Costco eye exam varies by location. My location has been increasing in price every year, it seems. This year, it is $70 for a regular eye exam and $110 for a contact lens exam (I need the latter).

My eyesight is terrible, so it is the cost of the lenses (I need the ultra-thin lenses) that is what is costly, and not so much the frames.

The cost of the lenses and frames anywhere but at Costco will set me back at least $500. The frames (and designer frames too) and lenses total at Costco is just a fraction of that.
Last edited by General Disarray on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Zenni. I bought the $7 frame with anti-reflective coating $4. Total $16 with shipping. So far so good.

IthinkICan

Post by IthinkICan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:52 pm

I've had great luck with Zinni & goggles4u. Warby Parker is also great - stylish frames, and I like the "buy a pair/they donate a pair" system. But Warby Parker is more expensive, so that might matter depending on your budget.

newinvestor84

Post by newinvestor84 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 pm

lightheir wrote:Online is the cheapest (by far) if you via Zenni, eyebuydirect, or similar priced outfit. Even cheaper than Costco (by a fair amount, too).
I have good experience with eyebuydirect on their single vision lenses and frames. You can get a very reasonable pair of glasses for about $50 all in. (make sure you do a search for all their discount codes available. Usually you can get like 20% off).

Point

Post by Point » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Costco did a great job with my progressive prescription. With the sun auto detection they cost me $76. And when I broke the line holding the lense in they repaired them as a drop in appt for free. Great quality, frames too.

aceoperations

Post by aceoperations » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:06 pm

I am typing right now with my $12 eyeglasses including anti-reflective coating. There are frequent deals on goggles4u.com. My current pair has taken an extreme amount of abuse from my 2 year old, and has still not even bent out of shape. 8-) 8-) Even if it did, $12 later, I'll be back where I left off. :sharebeer

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 am

Another Costco fan here. I am also happy with the pair I got from Sam's Club a couple of years ago. Great pricing and service. And while the OP noted no vision insurance, I liked how Costco and Sam's Club handled my claims.

If you ever need to get your glasses adjusted, it's convenient to take a number and get it quickly done while you are shopping at Costco, also. :happy

I've begun to use the independent optometrist within Costco, too.

For me, the only real disadvantage of the above two places is the relatively limited frame selection (particularly if you are into high-end, designer brands). They seem to be a few days slower in delivering your new glasses.

I've been to LensCrafters in the past, and I may go again, but only when the lenses or frames I want are on sale. My next visit there will probably be for prescription sunglasses. Although the Oakley ones I want are never on sale. :x

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am

If you have frames and just need to replace lenses, check out ReplaceALens.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 am

Yikes. I went to Lenscrafters today for Oakley prescription sunglasses. Oakleys are excluded from the 40% off promotion currently running. The total cost would have been $700 with polarized lenses and my progressive prescription. :-( The frame portion was $180. I decided to pass and consider alternatives.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 am

CardinalRule wrote:Yikes. I went to Lenscrafters today for Oakley prescription sunglasses. Oakleys are excluded from the 40% off promotion currently running. The total cost would have been $700 with polarized lenses and my progressive prescription. :-( The frame portion was $180. I decided to pass and consider alternatives.
I've been using Lenscrafters for over 25 years. Until about two years ago. The prices are OBSCENE even with insurance. $700 with $300 in insurance is much more than the $150 you'll spend elsewhere for complete Rx glasses.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson | 457th place in 2017 Boglehead Contest!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:11 pm

mrc wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:Yikes. I went to Lenscrafters today for Oakley prescription sunglasses. Oakleys are excluded from the 40% off promotion currently running. The total cost would have been $700 with polarized lenses and my progressive prescription. :-( The frame portion was $180. I decided to pass and consider alternatives.
I've been using Lenscrafters for over 25 years. Until about two years ago. The prices are OBSCENE even with insurance. $700 with $300 in insurance is much more than the $150 you'll spend elsewhere for complete Rx glasses.
I got Lenscrafters glasses about 3 years ago - a special my wife noticed. I cannot recall the exact amount, but was a good price for Progressive lenses.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:48 pm

dm200 wrote:
mrc wrote:
I got Lenscrafters glasses about 3 years ago - a special my wife noticed. I cannot recall the exact amount, but was a good price for Progressive lenses.
With respect, compared to what? I'm seeing complete glasses (frame + progressive lenses) available at Costco and mail order for less than the cost of a single Lenscrafter lens! I know they have specials now and then, but it's difficult to see how even then they become competitive.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson | 457th place in 2017 Boglehead Contest!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:39 pm

mrc wrote:
dm200 wrote:
mrc wrote:
With respect, compared to what? I'm seeing complete glasses (frame + progressive lenses) available at Costco and mail order for less than the cost of a single Lenscrafter lens! I know they have specials now and then, but it's difficult to see how even then they become competitive.
What I paid (cannot remember all the details now) to Lenscrafters was less than what I would have paid at Costco.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:02 pm

TIAX wrote:If you have frames and just need to replace lenses, check out ReplaceALens.
Please go check out lensabl if you want replacement lenses. The other site has awful reviews

c1over8

Post by c1over8 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm going to try Zenni next time I need glasses. Thanks for the tip bogleheads!

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:04 pm

nalor511 wrote:
TIAX wrote:If you have frames and just need to replace lenses, check out ReplaceALens.
Please go check out lensabl if you want replacement lenses. The other site has awful reviews
You must mean good reviews.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm

mrc wrote:
I think Lenscrafter is part of the Luxxotica monopoly cartel, hence the crazy high prices. Someone else can verify or correct me if I'm wrong. Avoid all Luxottica retail outlets like the plague unless you enjoy overpaying 3-4x what glasses can easily be bought for online. (Thank god for online - they really had consumers in a vice-grip before internet glasses sales took off.)

Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Warby Parker.
Went to B&M store. Spent no more than 20 minutes there.
Got Rx frames for ~$100, paid with FSA, no tax charged. arrived in <1 week. Shipping was included.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 am

lightheir wrote: I think Lenscrafter is part of the Luxxotica monopoly cartel, hence the crazy high prices. Someone else can verify or correct me if I'm wrong. Avoid all Luxottica retail outlets like the plague unless you enjoy overpaying 3-4x what glasses can easily be bought for online. (Thank god for online - they really had consumers in a vice-grip before internet glasses sales took off.)
Yep. The CBS 60 Minutes story changed my life. The kicker was they own EyeMed too. from the $3 frames, to the insurance plan, to the (many) retail outlets. They own the vertical stack.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 pm

OP update....

Recieved my glasses and had a small problem.

Zenni has really provided excellent customer service!

Since my glasses were inexpensive I expected customer service to fall short on solving my particular issue.

I was certainly wrong, they have exceeded my expectations.

I really like the glasses and get fewer headaches now.

No vision insurance and I got an eye exam and glasses (progressive with anti reflective coating) for $107.

Side note Americas Best deal on 2 pair of glasses and eye exam are for single vision lens glasses only, progressives cost more.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm glad you put special in quotes as LensCrafters got in trouble for their fake specials.
. Eyewear retailer LensCrafters and its parent company were hit with a class action lawsuit alleging they dupe consumers into believing they are getting a deal by using false reference prices.

Lead plaintiff Sandra Seegert claims LensCrafters uses fictitious retail prices and “buy one, get one” methods and then tells consumers they are getting a discount.

In reality, says the plaintiff, the schemes cover up a sham price disparity that misleads consumers into thinking they are getting a good deal.

Seegert argues that California legislature has banned the practice of advertising fake sales or discounts, but LensCrafters uses tactics that dupe bargain hunters into thinking they are getting a deal they can’t pass up.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-set ... tom-deals/

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:05 am

Wow I really need to look into Costco next time around. Last time at my optometrist my total bill was around $800, the exam (which is mostly covered) plus frames plus lenses. I usually upgrade to thinner lens and also get progressives add UV 400 and transitions. I think the frames were around $170 so most of the cost was for the lenses. And all that is with our crappy vision insurance.

What would that set me back at Costco? I don't mind paying somewhat of a premium price for the high level of service I get there but not if I have to pay 3 or 4 times the price. My wife and daughter got new glasses and lenses and the total bill was over $1000. And my wife gets glorified progressive reading glasses. I am tired of getting ripped off.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:13 am

Costco question.....I have frames that I've never used and a prescription from my ophthalmologist, would they accept those?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:13 am
Costco question.....I have frames that I've never used and a prescription from my ophthalmologist, would they accept those?
Our experience is that it depends. Depends on the frames, depends on the lenses, and depends on the Costco location. Most times they have used our frames without a problem with our prescription. Take them to Costco and ask.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 am

Costco, we stopped paying for Vision insurance this year. I'm too lazy to have to file the paperwork for reimbursement. I'm not sure they are the cheapest. But the people there seem friendly and helpful and sometime they give me free frame. Old time customer here.
Plus I save all of my old glasses, and just change the lens. It helps a little. But small money, not worth stressing about.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Zenni rep just told me that Zenni can't make a pair of glasses with a transition lens for the left eye, and a blank (no prescription) for the right. I'll need to shop for another optical shop. Sigh.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:42 am

InMyDreams wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 pm
Zenni rep just told me that Zenni can't make a pair of glasses with a transition lens for the left eye, and a blank (no prescription) for the right. I'll need to shop for another optical shop. Sigh.
Yet they sell non-prescription (fashion) glasses! This suggests a process design error wherein the first choice is Rx vs plano. Clearly, this can be done. It might be worth a call back to a supervisor.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:53 am

tic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:15 pm
Zenni Optical. $12 for my last pair and they were still fine when I replaced them (with another pair from Zenni) 8 years later.

Not being able to try on frames is a little difficult, but they provide so many measurements for each frame that you can measure a frame you have and like and find something similar on the website.
I second Zenni.

My two year old needed glasses this summer, and I was due as well. The optometrist office quoted me 373$ on the frames alone. Daughter almost $200 on the whole frame. Would have been in for 7-800 easy.

Instead we wound up with 2 pairs for her (they were so inexpensive that we bought both the ones we were debating over), a pair for me and a pair of Rx sunglasses. Total bill 208$ with shipping.

At those rates, I don't stress as much about breaking or losing them.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:21 am

Costco works well for you.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:55 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:05 am
Wow I really need to look into Costco next time around. Last time at my optometrist my total bill was around $800, the exam (which is mostly covered) plus frames plus lenses. I usually upgrade to thinner lens and also get progressives add UV 400 and transitions. I think the frames were around $170 so most of the cost was for the lenses. And all that is with our crappy vision insurance.

What would that set me back at Costco? I don't mind paying somewhat of a premium price for the high level of service I get there but not if I have to pay 3 or 4 times the price. My wife and daughter got new glasses and lenses and the total bill was over $1000. And my wife gets glorified progressive reading glasses. I am tired of getting ripped off.
My wife just purchased new frames/lenses at an independent optician she has seen for years - will not go anywhere else. Outstanding service and quality of glasses - Silhouette frames ($300), trivex progressive lenses, Alize AR and scratch protection, not transitions. $630 total. Costco would be about $250 including transition lenses based on my last time there about two years ago for hi index (1.67) plastic progressive lenses but they do not offer the super light weight Silhouette frames. My personal experiece in buying glasses at both the independent and Costco is the independent has a better optician that takes way more time making sure to measure and fit you (very important if you need high number spherical and cylindrical correction), but both have "money back guarantees" if you can't be satisfied after they work with you.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Fletch wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:55 pm
JBTX wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:05 am

My wife just purchased new frames/lenses at an independent optician she has seen for years - will not go anywhere else. Outstanding service and quality of glasses - Silhouette frames ($300), trivex progressive lenses, Alize AR and scratch protection, not transitions. $630 total. Costco would be about $250 including transition lenses based on my last time there about two years ago for hi index (1.67) plastic progressive lenses but they do not offer the super light weight Silhouette frames. My personal experiece in buying glasses at both the independent and Costco is the independent has a better optician that takes way more time making sure to measure and fit you (very important if you need high number spherical and cylindrical correction), but both have "money back guarantees" if you can't be satisfied after they work with you.
I definitely value the service I get at my optometrist. It is very good. Do I get $400 worth of value in that half hour or so they work to fit my glasses? On the surface no.

I may try Costco next time for kicks. That is too much money to leave on the table.

While independent optician and optometrist may help fine tune things a bit better, the result of the cost of the glasses is I wear them until the prescription is way off and the frames are falling apart. 5-10 years. I'd be better off getting cheaper glasses every 2-3 years.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm

mrc wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:42 am
InMyDreams wrote:
Yet they sell non-prescription (fashion) glasses! This suggests a process design error wherein the first choice is Rx vs plano. Clearly, this can be done. It might be worth a call back to a supervisor.
Zenni can't reasonably be expected to accept custom orders while maintaining their ultra-low pricing.

For the case above, I'd look at the total cost of one frame with transition lenses and another with blanks (plano) and swapping lenses.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 pm

marcwd wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm
mrc wrote:
InMyDreams wrote:
Zenni can't reasonably be expected to accept custom orders while maintaining their ultra-low pricing.

For the case above, I'd look at the total cost of one frame with transition lenses and another with blanks (plano) and swapping lenses.
I fail to see how specifying one lens with no correction, and one lens with one, is a custom order. All orders are custom given the wide variety of corrections.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:30 pm

mrc wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 pm
marcwd wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm
mrc wrote:
InMyDreams wrote:

I fail to see how specifying one lens with no correction, and one lens with one, is a custom order. All orders are custom given the wide variety of corrections.
This particular case involves a tinted lens for one eye and a clear lens for the other. Seems very much to be a nonstandard (custom) requirement.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:10 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
I would double check on this. Try entering your prescription on the website, it appears to allow what you have described.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 pm

My apologies - I should have written PROGRESSIVE, not transition lenses. Zenni applies the reading correction to both lenses.

I'm anticipating surgery on one eye that will take a period of time to settle (prob abt 2 months). No correction in that eye would be easiest. The docs usually say just pop the lens out, but for two months? Also would not work well with the glasses I have right now.

Costco will do it, but the price is a bit much for the short period I need them. Maybe I'll do two cheap but identical frames from Zenni, and just mix-and-match on my own?

But I should call Zenni, too.
Thanks

jezo

Post by jezo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 am

I have had great experiences with Costco

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 am

InMyDreams wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 pm
My apologies - I should have written PROGRESSIVE, not transition lenses. Zenni applies the reading correction to both lenses.

I'm anticipating surgery on one eye that will take a period of time to settle (prob abt 2 months). No correction in that eye would be easiest. The docs usually say just pop the lens out, but for two months? Also would not work well with the glasses I have right now.

Costco will do it, but the price is a bit much for the short period I need them. Maybe I'll do two cheap but identical frames from Zenni, and just mix-and-match on my own?

But I should call Zenni, too.
Thanks
Yes, I think mix-and-match from Zenni may be your best option.

wholeinone04

Post by wholeinone04 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been wearing contacts/glasses for 25+ years and I also have terrible vision (-10) so I've tried a lot of different services/places/out/etc. I actually qualify for medically necessary contacts (through VSP) which is a great tip if you have real bad vision (-10 or worse) since you get your contacts fully covered for a year!

But since I went with the contacts option, I had to go out of pocket for glasses and my optometrist only had $2-300 frames - wth? I only wear glasses in the mornings and at night so don't need anything super expensive or even stylish. I ended up finding warby parker and have to say I was super impressed with the process/value. I work with a lot of start-ups and these guys have things down - no obstacles and everything is easy to understand/do.

My favorite part is when they gave me the option at checkout to submit my eyeglass prescription (which I don't have) or call my optometrist to get it. Yes, I'll take the latter! So there isn't that awkward convo between you and your doctor when you have to tell them their prices are 3-5x higher than other places :)

I went for the ultra high index lenses so paid $225 for the frame and lens from Warby Parker - so far so good! The normal price though (incl exam if you need it) is $95 all in which seems like a steal - they must be losing money but hey might as well take advantage of the pricing while it lasts.

Will be curious to see how the frames/lenses hold up...

PS - Here's a quick video I recorded about my experience if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmPM150ugS0

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:13 pm

* Costco Optometrists are "Independent Doctors of Optometry". I love my Costco Optometrist, but technically, he's not a Costco employee.

* I've had excellent glasses and services from Costco, and will buy from them again in the future.

* I've had excellent glasses and replacement services from Zenni (my bad, and they didn't hesitate to replace). Tweaking and fitting glasses is not something that can be done long distance, however, and something I've needed when my glasses were from Costco - e.g., I banged my glasses and they're totally cattywampus. I will buy from them again in the future.

* Medicare will pay for an eye exam, but not for the refraction (i.e., the glasses prescription). Many but by no means all insurances operate the same way.

If you buy glasses thru Zenni, you'll have to give the your pupil distance. If you've ever had glasses before, you might be able to geth that info from your former optical shop - e.g., Costco. Zenni also tells you how to measure it.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm

I just ordered my first pair of prescription glasses from Zenni. $28! Hundreds less than the eye doctor. Weirdly the phone rep told me to subtract 3mm from the pupillary distance I had from my eye doc. Can't understand why (he didn't explain) so I just subtracted 1mm, and will hope. But for this price I can't imagine being unhappy. We shall see
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 am

sperry8 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm
... Weirdly the phone rep told me to subtract 3mm from the pupillary distance I had from my eye doc. Can't understand why (he didn't explain) so I just subtracted 1mm, and will hope. ...
Were these for reading? When you focus on closer objects, your eyes turn slightly inward.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 am

mrc wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 am
sperry8 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm
... Weirdly the phone rep told me to subtract 3mm from the pupillary distance I had from my eye doc. Can't understand why (he didn't explain) so I just subtracted 1mm, and will hope. ...
Were these for reading? When you focus on closer objects, your eyes turn slightly inward.
Yes, they were for reading. Perhaps my eye doctor who took my pupillary distance didn't mention she also took 3mm off for reading. Just told me my distance. Hmmmm, i wonder what will occur with a 2-2.5mm difference? Well, we shall see.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282