Looking at refurbished desktop PCs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Earl Lemongrab

Looking at refurbished desktop PCs

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Here are some I have looked at.

HP 6200 Pro Desktop Computer Off Lease Refurbished
Intel Core i5-2400 Processor 3.10GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
500GB Solid State Drive
Intel HD Graphics 2000
DVD-ROM Drive
10/100/1000 Network
Display Not Included

$329.97. Has SSD. This is at Microcenter so I can swing by and get it today. Only 90-day warranty. Older processor, does that mean older machine usually?

A couple of Newegg options, same basic specs/same price at $319 with shipping.

Refurbished Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 Tower
Refurbished HP ELITE 8300 Tower

Intel Core i5 3470 3.2G
8G DDR3
120G SSD+2TB
DVD
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
1 Year Warranty

Opinions? Suggestions?
Last edited by Earl Lemongrab on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Re: Looking at refurbised desktop PCs

Post by 123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:37 pm

My main concern with buying a refurbished machine is the limited warranty. Every time I buy a new PC (about every 2 years since we've got a number of household desktops we rotate through) I'm just amazed that they stay around the same price or get a little cheaper. I've been buying Dell machines with Windows 7 Pro (now with Windows 10 Pro) and normally spend around $500 - $600.

The risk with a refurbished machine is that, assuming it's been in use a year or two at least, the amount of time updated drivers compatible with new versions of Windows will be available will usually be less then with a "fresh" box. I usually go through 2 or 3 Windows upgrades before I run into a driver issue, I've got a couple of machines that will be forever (hopefully) stuck at Windows 7.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

AAA

Re: Looking at refurbised desktop PCs

Post by AAA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm

I recently bought a refurbished Dell desktop on eBay from an authorized seller (or whatever the proper term is) and it came with about a 2.5-year warranty, which was the remainder of the original 3-year warranty. This approach had been recommended to me by someone in a forum I frequent, and I've been more than satisfied with the purchase. I believe also that it is the on-site warranty. That gave me a lot of confidence to make the purchase.

Zott

Re: Looking at refurbished desktop PCs

Post by Zott » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Walmart (online) sells refurbished computers, most of which seem to get positive customer ratings. I've never purchased one myself, but may do so soon.

wander

Post by wander » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 pm

I will skip Lenovo PCs. It's been known for pre-installing the dangerous SuperFish (spy software) adware. Don't know what else they have been doing lately.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 pm

One possible thing to look for is an officially "factory refurbished" or similar computer sold by or under contract with the original manufacturer vs. a third-party refurbished computer which may just mean a quick check and a good cleaning. At a minimum, understand what the refurb process consists of and understand the warranty and who will be providing warranty service. Some big-name manufacturers have such terrible service that it can take months to get a computer returned.

I bought an Apple refurb laptop years ago. Came with the full warranty and everything, just in simpler packaging. Couldn't tell that it wasn't new and had no problems with it through its useful life.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm

123 wrote:My main concern with buying a refurbished machine is the limited warranty.
You can factor that into the price but one thing to keep in mind when you are comparing that to a new warranty is that many credit cards will extend the warranty on new items. I am pretty sure that would not apply to refurbished items.

toast0

Post by toast0 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 am

These are likely older machines (Microcenter tells you they're off lease, that's likely for the Newegg as well). The i5-3470 processor is one generation newer than the i5-2400, and faster, so for the same price, it's the better buy. It's still a 2012 model processor though, so it's two major architectures behind the current chips which benchmark about 12% faster at the same clock rate; current chips will tend to use less power too.

If you're good with computers, you might consider building your own or upgrading something you have; since you're near a Microcenter, you can take advantage of their well priced CPUs and CPU + motherboard bundles. Modern processors have a lot of things integrated, so building a basic desktop is reduced to putting in the CPU, attaching the heatsink, adding ram, and stuffing it in the box. Build your own won't be cheaper than buying a old refurbished computer though.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:21 am

Recently was looking at refurbished iMac's at Apple site. Difficult to determine the subtle differences in hardware between offerings. I had to look at spec's on new first to compare what the refurb stuff was. Prices are only slightly better than new, warranty is full warranty.

In the past I have purchased refurb stuff from Dell's site. I was satisfied with the purchase at that time.

Over the years I have purchased 3 different Dell laptops from a local reseller, only 90 day warranty but much better pricing.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:36 am

It depends on what you want the computer for, and if you are comfortable doing maintenance and repair.

At that price point, you are basically buying a disposable computer that should be suitable for office work for a year or two. If you are handy, you can probably keep it running longer... otherwise you may want to invest in getting something under warrantee or just go into it accepting the risks.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:08 am

I buy used laptops and desktops on eBay and install Linux. No problem.

steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am

My only concern with buying refurbished computers is that all the drivers and software are older than buying a new computer. Computers these days seem to be much more reliable as a whole than they were 20 years ago and now instead of replacing them due to a burnt up part, I'm having to replace them because the drivers and software is no longer upgrade-able. So by buying refurbished, you are shortening the time you have until you will need to replace it again.

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 am

Doesn't seem like a super deal, unless you really value the SSD at retail price. We recently grabbed an i5 3000 series (Ivy Bridge) desktop off eBay for $130. Also a Lenovo. Yes, there may be spyware in the base build. But we're reformatting anyway. Roughly speaking. i5 2000 series (Sandy Bridge) through all of the 3000s, 4000s, 5000s, 6000s, and 7000s don't have a big performance difference. It's only ~3-5% performance bump-up per generation. So, it's fine to get a 2000s or 3000s series Sandy/Ivy Bridge refurb desktop from a performance standpoint.

John Z

Post by John Z » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:22 am

My last 2 PCs (and I keep them a long time) I bought as "scratch, dent and open box" from computer companies and resellers. I was able to get state of the art machines (which allows me to keep them so long) for $100-200 off the selling price. You have to search and wait to find a good deal but they are out there. Most sellers have a department that handles this stuff so you get a new PC that has been opened or has cosmetic defects. The last time I looked several years ago Dell, HP, PC Connection, Lenovo and others had availability.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 am

I prefer to buy the cheapest HP or similar desktop at Staples or Best Buy for around $300.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am

Sounds like a great deal to me. What do you plan to use it for that you think it's not up to the task to do? If you're doing hard core, latest gaming, then ok. If not, this thing is going to be in idle mode for virtually everything you could think of doing. Both my kids have gaming computers built from the case up with components mostly from micro center. Both are screaming fast. The latest uses an i5. I don't know processors but my 20 year old does very much and picked one of the i5 versions over an i7. For gaming, the graphics card is really important but the last generation is typically the best deal because the latest version costs a bazillion dollars. If upgrading (my older son does this periodically), a good graphics card is worth good money. Craigslist it since eBay and Paypal kill you with fees on top of fees on top of even shipping costs. Oh, my 20 year old first built his desktop while a sophomore in high school. Most of it doesn't need replacement.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:48 am

To each their own, but I bought 3 refurbs from Dell years ago. One of them had catastrophic issues almost immediately. Tech even came out and replaced the processor and heat sink after I spent hours on hold with their tech support. Turned out to just be a bad memory chip. Another computer also had major hard drive issues that required reinstalling Windows fairly often until I gave up and replaced the hard drive. I'll never touch another refurbished computer again after that. Maybe the Microcenter ones are ok since they're "off lease," but are the Newegg ones off lease too, or just refurbed?

testing321

Post by testing321 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am

I just replaced a 10-year old desktop because it was running Vista. I bought a refurbed Dell desktop two months ago from dellrefurbished.com, their leasing division. It came with Windows 7 pro 64 bit. I downloaded the Windows 10 install image from a Microsoft site, burned it to a DVD, went into bios and set the DVD as the first priority boot disk. Then I booted up with the DVD, installed Window 10 and, when I booted up into that, used the windows 7 key printed on a label on the case to activate it. I read somewhere that you can do that, so I did. Windows 10 had all the necessary drivers for this common Dell model. I did have to buy an adapter for displayport to DVI, $7 on Amazon.

Next, I downloaded a Office Pro install image from Microsoft, right clicked it, clicked on mount which opens up a folder, ran setup, and then bought a key to activate it from reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ . Cost was $40.

Everything runs without a hitch.

The Dellrefurbished site frequently has codes for 40 or 50% off with free shipping. I used one of these and my cost was under $200 including tax.

jcchen

Post by jcchen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:10 am

if you are comfortable fixing and troubleshooting, refurbs are a good way to save some money.

That said, I dont think these refurbs are a good deal. These refurbs are approx 5 years old so probably seen a lot of use.

For about the same price I think you can buy a 1 year old refurb directly from Dell, Lenovo, etc when they have periodic sales. Look at slickdeals or techbargains to find out when the sales are.

Alternatively, you can buy a new desktop with a 6000 series i5 for about $400 new, then add $50 for a SSD.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 am

Zott wrote:Walmart (online) sells refurbished computers, most of which seem to get positive customer ratings. I've never purchased one myself, but may do so soon.
We bought a Walmart refurbished Dell desktop at $196 two years ago when Microsoft dropped security updates on Windows XP. It's been a great purchase -- more stable than the new Acer laptop we bought at about the same time for nearly three times the cost. No problems whatsoever with heavy use.

mancich

Post by mancich » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Great deals come up quite often on the Dell Outlet website

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm

My use of the computer is relatively modest. Other than being light on RAM, my old one that died was fine.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=211379
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Now I'm leaning towards cheaper. This is essentially an upgraded version of the old one, same CPU, but more memory, SSD, one-year warranty. Room to move the old drive assuming it's ok.

HP 6200 Pro Desktop Computer Off Lease Refurbished;
Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.10GHz;
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit;
8GB RAM;
250GB Solid State Drive
$229.99

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 pm

I have had good luck with Dell refurbished computers back in the day.
I wouldn't hesitate to get refurbished from Dell or Walmart,,,yes I said Walmart. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm

I've bought several (for me and others) refurbished laptops from Microcenter. I work in IT and have built my own machines, so I feel I have a good grasp of what is going on. The limited warranty is the main issue. However, PCs tend to be very reliable. My main concern would be over the hard drive. A refurbished hard drive is something I would never buy. When you buy these refurbished machines you don't know what exactly was refurbished. The laptop I just bought from Microcenter was around $250 less than the same item new. I used $130 and installed a new SSD drive, so not an issue for me. The hard drive is the most likely thing to go out on a PC/laptop. Most other things don't have moving parts and are less likely to break. If the hard drive were SSD, I wouldn't worry about it as that has no moving parts.

One things I would think about is who did the refurbishing? If it was some guy on eBay that is different than HP or Dell. Look for manufacturer refurbished items.

P.S. The last one I bought from Microcenter was refurbished AND open box so it was even cheaper. Since someone already owned it, what do I care if the box was opened?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Certified Refurbishers provide a one-year warranty, same as typical new products. VISA card should double that.