Costco tire - Michelin vs Bridgestone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
walletless

Costco tire - Michelin vs Bridgestone

Post by walletless » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:46 pm

I am super confused on which route to take, if someone with tire knowledge can help, it will be much appreciated! I live in Norcal (very little rain, mostly warm weather). I own a 2012 Nissan Altima, and drive about 7,000 miles per year.

I purchased Michelin® DEFENDER 215/60R16 (Item #645921) couple days ago from costco.com for $461.82 inclusive of all taxes. This was when they were running a promotion for $130 off Michelin last week. I have not yet gotten it installed, and can cancel for full refund.

Starting this week, Costco is running a similar promotion on Bridgestone. With this deal, I can purchase ECOPIA EP422+ 215/60R16 95T BW GRAND TOURING A/S (Item # 990462) for $392.24 including all taxes.

Given this, which tire would you recommend? Should I cancel my Michelin order and go with the Bridgestone Ecopia given the price difference?

sunny_socal

Re: Costco tire - Michelin vs Bridgestone

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm

If it's worth the inconvenience, then sure. You save a few bucks.

Both of those tires are about the same: "Meh." They'll both be fine for the type of driving you're going to do, they're not high performance. (BTW I like both brands and Costco has become my go-to place for tires, I don't think you can go wrong here.)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Are you sure you can get $130 off Bridgestone? The $60 portion of that was a separate discount for Executive members that expired on Friday, unless they renewed it or put in a new promo.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 pm

The Michelins are better IMHO and worth it.

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 pm

i am not familiar with those specific tires but Michelins have a better brand reputation than Bridgestone IMO.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Once you get your quotes from Costco, give Discount Tire/America's Tire a call. I did this when I bought my winter tires (set of 4) and Discount Tire beat Costco's price. Costco's price after $70 off was $440. Discount quoted me $400 plus $100 cash card.

In California, Discount Tire is called America's Tire.
http://www.americastire.com
Wiki

at ease

Post by at ease » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:54 pm

...well, I drive a car many miles, and have found the Bridgestone tires to be my FAVORITE of any....I rotate them between 5 and 6,ooo miles and it's not unusual to get around 80,000 on a set.....my wife put Michelin on her car two years ago (from Sam's) and had to replace 2 before 20,000 miles. Sam's prorated both so that was good. Anyway, if you can get a good deal on Bridgestone, you may just become a long-term fan like me...good luck.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm

William4u wrote:The Michelins are better IMHO and worth it.
+1 Yup, I have those installed on my car. They are rated to 90,000 miles, not really planning on getting 90,000 out of it, but stopping is excellent on dry pavement, excellent thus far on wet pavement, haven't driven on deep snow (nor have plans too). They are good tires.

On the other hand, I have the same model tire Bridgestone installed on our main driving car, Outback, so far one tire rotation down and we have not noticed any noticeable wear on tire, good handling, good performance on dry/wet pavement, did well in a recent highway drive with heavy sleet and untreated roadway.

Don't think you can go wrong with either tire. So long as you realize these are all-season, they are not snow tires nor are they performance tires.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 pm

lazydavid wrote:Are you sure you can get $130 off Bridgestone? The $60 portion of that was a separate discount for Executive members that expired on Friday, unless they renewed it or put in a new promo.
Yes, 130 with code BRIDGE17MAR

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm

walletless wrote:
lazydavid wrote:Are you sure you can get $130 off Bridgestone? The $60 portion of that was a separate discount for Executive members that expired on Friday, unless they renewed it or put in a new promo.
Yes, 130 with code BRIDGE17MAR
Ok, new promo. The old one was TIRE17MAR. Good to know.

John Z

Post by John Z » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:16 pm

I had those Bridgestone tires on my new 2012 Altima 3.5 and I found them to be quiet, responsive and long lasting. I planned to buy another set at 45,000 but traded the Altima at 36,000 miles and could see them lasting another 10,000. No experience with Michlen.

walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks all, I decided to keep the Michelin tire.
DSInvestor wrote:Once you get your quotes from Costco, give Discount Tire/America's Tire a call. I did this when I bought my winter tires (set of 4) and Discount Tire beat Costco's price. Costco's price after $70 off was $440. Discount quoted me $400 plus $100 cash card.

Thats a great idea - will give them a call and see if they can match/beat. I go there any way for rotations, super nice folks.. don't mind giving them my business even if they match the price.

LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 pm

DSInvestor wrote:Once you get your quotes from Costco, give Discount Tire/America's Tire a call. I did this when I bought my winter tires (set of 4) and Discount Tire beat Costco's price. Costco's price after $70 off was $440. Discount quoted me $400 plus $100 cash card.

+1 Discount Tires all the way. If America's Tire operates the same on the west coast as Discount does on the east I can't say enough about them. Over the last 10 years I've established a nice relationship with the local store. Best place I've ever bought tires and that's why I keep going back.

I'm also a big Michelin fan. +1 for Michelin too.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Last year I traded in a 1996 Ford Windstar with 82,000 miles with the original Michelin tires and a substantial amount of tread left on them. This may not be typical and the quality of todays tires may not be the same but if I had to purchase another set of tires today I would go with the Michelins.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Put new tires on two vehicles recently. Neither Costco nor Discount could beat my local Firestone for Bridgestone tires. One set was run flat, which Costco doesn't do.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Thanks for the Costco discount for the Bridgestones. Was planning on buying them anyway this week, so you just saved me $60!!

It's worth it for me to buy from Costco as I'm spending about 1 hour /month there anyway, so I can have that coincide with an appointment to get the tires rotated. Otherwise, they never get rotated...

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 am

Bacchus01 wrote:One set was run flat, which Costco doesn't do.
This alone is not a good reason to avoid a vendor. Run flats are rubbish. I binned mine within 3 months of buying my current car, and will never go back. I'll do the same if I ever get another car that comes with them, though I'll do my damndest to avoid getting them in the first place.

Pricing is another matter, and IS a good reason to choose one place over another.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:22 am

lazydavid wrote:
This alone is not a good reason to avoid a vendor. Run flats are rubbish. I binned mine within 3 months of buying my current car, and will never go back. I'll do the same if I ever get another car that comes with them, though I'll do my damndest to avoid getting them in the first place.

Pricing is another matter, and IS a good reason to choose one place over another.
No, it's a perfect reason to avoid a vendor. They didn't have them, period. I love my run flats. I commute 110 miles a day and have had to use them twice.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
lazydavid wrote:

No, it's a perfect reason to avoid a vendor. They didn't have them, period. I love my run flats. I commute 110 miles a day and have had to use them twice.
Bacchus01,

Costco does carry run flat tire. They may not stock them. I was buying my tires from Costco a few months ago. Costco's folk was ordering some run flat tire for the customer in front of me.

More recently, I brought in my car to get my tires checked. I overheard the Costco's folk ordering some run flat tires for the customer over the phone.

KlangFool

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am

I've had both brands of tires from time to time.

I prefer Michelin. My sense of things (not scientifically measured) is that michelins are more robust in construction, and use a bit "harder" rubber. The ride is a little rougher, and slightly more noisy. Bridgestones are made of softer compounds and the comfort level is higher. The trade-off is that the tread life is lower on Bridgestones, in my experience. Bridgestones are usually a bit cheaper for the equivalent tire.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:57 am

Most people I know that are car nuts rave about Michelin. Small price to pay per mile for safety and longevity.