What to do with $100???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What to do with $100???

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

So many great suggestions, which in and of itself is worth more than $100, imo.
If you haven't already, how about paying for them?

The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy
6977 Navajo Rd., Suite 147, San Diego CA 92119
An IRS-approved non-profit Public Charity

Or here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
mouses

Post by mouses »

Donate it to an animal shelter or an environmental organization.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Your mother gave you the $100 to your 37th birthday. You should invite your mother to a very nice dinner with that $100. She deserves it!
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

likegarden wrote:Your mother gave you the $100 to your 37th birthday. You should invite your mother to a very nice dinner with that $100. She deserves it!
I agree, take that for what its worth. Maybe a 100.00 "life coach" consult might help, I think thats what their called.
Good luck!
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

You want to spend it on something that puts a smile on your face......just as it did for your mom when she gave it to you. :happy

This thread brings back a very recent memory......

My mom recently passed away at age 90. Her and dad (he passed 5 years earlier) lived on pay check to pay check......then later on SS and pension their entire lives....that is how it was raising 6 kids back then.

After dad passed, we sold the house and mom had......for the first time...a savings account. There wasn't much in there but there was enough there that she felt like she had just won the lottery.

That Christmas she wanted to give each child $100.00 bill. Now keep in mid a $100.00 bill to her was like.......well I doubt she really ever had one before so it was like a precious gift from above.

I vividly remember that Christmas eve when all us siblings were together and we opened that envelop that contained a $100.00 bill.....it wasn't the look on our face that over whelmed us...it was the BIG smile on mom's face that nearly brought us tears. For her giving each child that $100.00 bill was like her giving us her winnings from the lottery.

What did we do with that $100.00 bill...........I know my sister bought mom a huge bouquet of flower for her birthday just few months later....that put a another smile on mom's face........ The rest of the sibs secretly put it back into her savings account............

My recommendation........give that money to someone who will forever remember it as a true and gracious gift. It will forever warm their hearts and will never be forgotten...............
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

fishandgolf wrote:You want to spend it on something that puts a smile on your face......just as it did for your mom when she gave it to you. :happy

This thread brings back a very recent memory......

My mom recently passed away at age 90. Her and dad (he passed 5 years earlier) lived on pay check to pay check......then later on SS and pension their entire lives....that is how it was raising 6 kids back then.

After dad passed, we sold the house and mom had......for the first time...a savings account. There wasn't much in there but there was enough there that she felt like she had just won the lottery.

That Christmas she wanted to give each child $100.00 bill. Now keep in mid a $100.00 bill to her was like.......well I doubt she really ever had one before so it was like a precious gift from above.

I vividly remember that Christmas eve when all us siblings were together and we opened that envelop that contained a $100.00 bill.....it wasn't the look on our face that over whelmed us...it was the BIG smile on mom's face that nearly brought us tears. For her giving each child that $100.00 bill was like her giving us her winnings from the lottery.

What did we do with that $100.00 bill...........I know my sister bought mom a huge bouquet of flower for her birthday just few months later....that put a another smile on mom's face........ The rest of the sibs secretly put it back into her savings account............

My recommendation........give that money to someone who will forever remember it as a true and gracious gift. It will forever warm their hearts and will never be forgotten...............
That's a really sweet story.
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

jazman12 wrote:get a subscription to some financial magazines. They often have articles on how to spend money when you receive a windfall like yours
My laughing nearly woke up my family.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Give it to bogleheads.org
WallStreetPhysician

Post by WallStreetPhysician »

rashad3000 wrote:OK, I just turned 37 today and my mom gave me $100. I am beginning the practice of "minimalism". "Things" don't really spark joy with me. I was going to get the Fitbit Charge 2. However, I already have the Charge HR and it works perfectly fine. I simply cannot think of anything whatsoever to buy with the money. Neither could I tell my wife what I wanted her to get me.

In the past, any birthday money I received ended up being spent on the kids. I do NOT want that to happen again! So, I am looking for something that I can do for myself with the money. Is there a decent penny stock I can throw it all in? Any other financial ideas? I thought about going to 10 different gas stations/convenience stores and spending $10 at each one. I'm not sure.

Thoughts?
Buy something. Your mom gave you $100 probably because she couldn't think of a good gift for you. Spend it on something, anything. Don't be the person in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214167).

-WallStreetPhysician
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

Total world, no better place to put one stack of high society.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

10 pounds of hamburger, buns and condimements, bag of charcoal, 1 or 2 cases of beer depending on guests (I would need more than 2 with my friends and family - Texas, what can you do?) whatever is left on Trader Joe's 2 buck Chuck. Looks like about 40 - 50 hamburgers.

Invite neighbors and friends and family and tell them Mom is sponsoring a party.

Spring for flowers for Mom out of you own pocket.

Tell stories about Mom and enjoy yourself
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Pilgrim4570

Post by Pilgrim4570 »

If you enjoy writing, there is paper and fountain pen waiting for you.
Have at look at Clairefontaine and Tomoe River stationary.
Remember to write a thank note to your mother.

Pilgrim
Pilgrim 45-70 | Killing time
James P. Bipps

Post by James P. Bipps »

A hundred bucks or less is pocket change in my book. Keep that hundred dollar bill tucked away and "splurge" when the time presents itself. You will know the time.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

I haven't seen "light a nice cigar" with it?
squirm

Post by squirm »

Pay a utility bill with it and move on.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

Contribute to kids' 529 college account.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Done it to the jharkin fund. They could find a thousand ways to spend it :twisted:

Just kidding. Assuming you are already saving money like mad, even living a minimalist lifestyle you must have some hobbies or activities /sports you like to participate in? Splurge on one of those...
ghudson

Post by ghudson »

I guess I'm lame -- I'd just save it if there was nothing I wanted.

It'll get spent next time I do want something.
zombie_lawyer

Post by zombie_lawyer »

Use it as "fun money" on a high risk, high reward stock/investment. It could be fun to see what sort of return (percentage-wise) you get on your bet over time.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

$100 to VTSAX. She just increased your permanent annual income (the amount you can realize from your investments without working) by $4.

That is, by investing it, you potentially have $4 more of income for the rest of your life.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Pick up the meal tab for either a police officer or a member of our armed forces. Try to be discrete enough so they don't know who did it. I do it all the time. It will make their day AND yours.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

kickstarter . com ?
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Whenever I somehow end up with a $50 or $100 bill I put it aside and put it in a safety deposit box the next time I go to my bank.

From what I hear I will need a stash of cash after I get married that my wife doesn't know about. (While this is a joke... it has been advice given to my by married friends).
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Invest it in a Target Dated Fund in your IRA due when you are 59.5. Then splurge reminding yourself of the very smart decision you made 22.5 years ago.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MrNewEngland wrote:Whenever I somehow end up with a $50 or $100 bill I put it aside and put it in a safety deposit box the next time I go to my bank.

From what I hear I will need a stash of cash after I get married that my wife doesn't know about. (While this is a joke... it has been advice given to my by married friends).
Better to arrange it that you *each* have a little "stash of cash" that is "whatever you want" money.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

ResearchMed wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:Whenever I somehow end up with a $50 or $100 bill I put it aside and put it in a safety deposit box the next time I go to my bank.

Better to arrange it that you *each* have a little "stash of cash" that is "whatever you want" money.

RM
We have 3 bank accounts. Mine. Hers. Ours.

Our paychecks go into individual accounts. We both put an equal amount per month in the ours account by automated ACH.

Bills come from ours. Fun comes from individual. We both max individual IRA.

It works well
Devops/Systems Engineer
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

rashad3000 wrote:Bottlecap,

Definitely not anxiety. This is more of a lighthearted post.

Anyone else, I think I am particularly looking to throw it at a penny stock or something and just leave it alone. Any ideas? I've only invested in Roth IRAs through Vanguard and my 403(b) account. I've never bought single stocks.
Are you maxing your IRA/403b? If not add the $100. Or open up a taxable account at Vanguard. Why would you buy a penny stock when you can buy Vanguard Total Stock Market? :)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
athan

Post by athan »

Tickets:
-sporting event
-concert
-train,bus
-movies
-comedy club
-ski lift
-just speed constantly until you get a ticket