$464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
STINGRAY75
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby STINGRAY75 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Congratulations to all the best example leaders . . . To be sure, you ARE in the top 1%

seamonkey
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby seamonkey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Kindness and gratitude all around... We should compile more stories like this.

OldAtHeart
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby OldAtHeart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Great story! I had a bit of help from my grandparents when I was in college. After graduating and getting my career started, I wanted to repay them somehow. My grandfathers 80th birthday was coming up and I decided to buy him a nice watch. He loved it and wore it every single day. When my grandmother turned 75 I bought her a nice watch too that she still wears very often. My grandfather unfortunately passed away a few years ago and my grandmother gave his watch back to me, and it is now the most special thing I own and I treasure it dearly and think of him every time I wear it.

aj76er
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby aj76er » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you for sharing. A truly inspirational story :).
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

TreeBeard
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby TreeBeard » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 pm

HomerJ wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
We are in the Midwest 'burbs. :wink:


Yep steakhouses are relatively cheap in the Midwest for the same quality you get out here.


Of course it's the same quality. Where do you think all those cattle come from? New York City or San Fran? :)


Not all cows are the same. One could assume that a cheaper restaurant uses a cheaper grade.


Cheaper because they don't overcharge, not cheaper because they use lesser meat. Believe me, $100 a person in the Midwest gets you a very fine meal.

Restaurants on the coasts take advantage. They charge more because the people out there are willing to pay it.

I just responded to this because it's a funny topic. I had friends come from California, we took them to a steakhouse, and they were amazed at how good it was... I said "Really? You're amazed that Kansas City has good steaks? The stockyards of Kansas City were the second largest in the world at one point"

Kansas City Strip Steak: A steak cut from the short loin. They were universally called "Kansas City strips" until Delmonico's restaurant in NYC decided some time in the 30's to call it a "New York strip" on their menu.

No difference between a New York strip and a Kansas City strip. But New Yorkers like to think they are the center of the world for some reason. :)


Similarly, New York has tried to take the claim of the Reuben sandwich from Omaha.

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby LiveSimple » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 am

You will treasure these memories, which is priceless. Enjoy the moments. :beer

Doom&Gloom
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Doom&Gloom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 pm

OldAtHeart wrote:Great story! I had a bit of help from my grandparents when I was in college. After graduating and getting my career started, I wanted to repay them somehow. My grandfathers 80th birthday was coming up and I decided to buy him a nice watch. He loved it and wore it every single day. When my grandmother turned 75 I bought her a nice watch too that she still wears very often. My grandfather unfortunately passed away a few years ago and my grandmother gave his watch back to me, and it is now the most special thing I own and I treasure it dearly and think of him every time I wear it.


Nice story of your own!

19 posts in six years? I have a feeling you should post a little more frequently here.

Mr.BB
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Mr.BB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Congratulations! More importantly think how good your aunt and Uncle feel about helping you and you successfully paid back the loans and show them that their faith in you was well-placed. Hopefully one day you will be in the position to pay it forward!

Fallible
Posts: 5778
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Fallible » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:37 pm

The $464.12 pales in comparison to the trust, gratitude, and love you've written about. I have a feeling your aunt and uncle already felt well rewarded for their trust in you and the dinner was, well, frosting on the cake. Congratulations to all of you!
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

nymeria.stark
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby nymeria.stark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Isn't that why we save, so we can spend when it's important?

What a great story. :) Inspiring!

herpfinance
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby herpfinance » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:51 pm

What a great story.

Money well spent! :beer
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham

OldAtHeart
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby OldAtHeart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
OldAtHeart wrote:Great story! I had a bit of help from my grandparents when I was in college. After graduating and getting my career started, I wanted to repay them somehow. My grandfathers 80th birthday was coming up and I decided to buy him a nice watch. He loved it and wore it every single day. When my grandmother turned 75 I bought her a nice watch too that she still wears very often. My grandfather unfortunately passed away a few years ago and my grandmother gave his watch back to me, and it is now the most special thing I own and I treasure it dearly and think of him every time I wear it.


Nice story of your own!

19 posts in six years? I have a feeling you should post a little more frequently here.


Yes - I should. I read this forum almost every day, I just don't post much. This is a great community though and I have learned a tremendous amount since joining. This particular post resonated with me as it unfortunately seems rare to hear stories like this and I truly enjoyed reading it and all of the great responses so far.

User avatar
BHCadet
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:47 am
Location: SoCal

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby BHCadet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:04 am

Great story.
Thanks for sharing...

Cruise
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Cruise » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:05 am

OP: Nice story! We recently went BH at a local steakhouse by bringing our special wines and paying corkage. We probably saved $250 or more this way, as the restaurant prices were awful. While we still paid $500+, we got to celebrate a special occasion with unique wines unavailable at the restaurant, and saved enough to by two more bottles.

Just a thought for the future. :)
Last edited by Cruise on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artisan
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Artisan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:01 am

Great story. Loved to hear how much you appreciated your Aunt and Uncle's kindness and generosity.

User avatar
Soul.in.Progress
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Soul.in.Progress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:28 am

I agree that this is a great story, thanks for posting OP.

I liked your provocative title, too!
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

lazydavid
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby lazydavid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 am

HomerJ wrote:Kansas City Strip Steak: A steak cut from the short loin. They were universally called "Kansas City strips" until Delmonico's restaurant in NYC decided some time in the 30's to call it a "New York strip" on their menu.

No difference between a New York strip and a Kansas City strip. But New Yorkers like to think they are the center of the world for some reason.


I'm from Chicago (My stockyards were bigger than yours! :D), but my understanding is different:

New York Strip: Boneless strip loin
Kansas City Strip: Bone-In strip loin

By that definition, I FAR prefer the KC Strip. I'll never choose an NY strip over a ribeye (my favorite cut), but will often choose the bone-in variety.

Humorously enough, most of the places I've been, a "Delmonico Steak" is a bone-in ribeye.

j0nnyg1984
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:55 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby j0nnyg1984 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:01 am

Crimsontide wrote:
j0nnyg1984 wrote:I had one in Vegas last week for around $1300. Gotta love being able to expense those customer dinners 8-)


OP's story warmed my heart, yours, not so much...


How ever will I sleep now?

What a pointless reply

juliewongferra
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:53 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby juliewongferra » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 am

guitarguy wrote:That's not a typo...and even though it might not be very BH-ish to spend that much on a meal...


This is not accurate, I don't think. i interpret BH behavior as living within one's means and not paying more than one has to for an investment/item/experience/etc. (Essentially, be sure to fairly value an investment/item/experience/etc., taking into account all factors.)

And unless this dinner forced you and your wife to starve for the next week or not be able to make a rent/mortgage payment (i.e, not within your means) or if you felt like you overpaid (i.e, not fairly valuing the dinner), then you are well within the BH framework.

(Also, to heck with BH framework. It's not the Bible, and no one punishes you if you stray from it, although some posters here get a little toasty sometimes! :happy . It's your life and your decisions; the fact that it makes you happy and does not detract from others' happiness (e.g, if you and your wife ate a big meal but caused your children to starve), then it is enough!)

cheers,
jwf

lazydavid
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby lazydavid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 am

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Crimsontide wrote:
j0nnyg1984 wrote:I had one in Vegas last week for around $1300. Gotta love being able to expense those customer dinners 8-)


OP's story warmed my heart, yours, not so much...


How ever will I sleep now?

What a pointless reply


Not pointless, I laughed out loud. Gotta take these things in the spirit they're meant, and take yourself a little less seriously.

Palatineman
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby Palatineman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Be thankful for you relatives that put there reputations and credit on the line and believed in you and your potential for success. Proving that you could achieve this and satisfy the debt is one aspect. Sharing with them your appreciation, with a wonderful dinner is something you cannot replicate.

If someone in my family did this for me, there would not be a limit on the bill...it would be $564.12 max though :sharebeer

guitarguy
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby guitarguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Soul.in.Progress wrote:I agree that this is a great story, thanks for posting OP.

I liked your provocative title, too!


Haha thanks, I figured it would make it click-worthy!

Glad people enjoyed our little story. On top of that we all learned about the Kansas City Strip and some things about Delmonico.

:D

rick2427
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby rick2427 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Great story and glad you thanked your aunt and uncle in a nice way.

Best Wishes!

riley42
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby riley42 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 am

Like all others have said.....congrats!
I am going to present another point of view I assume will not be popular. If I were your aunt and uncle, I would have been prouder and happier if you had learned the lesson of paying it forward. That one dinner bill would provide almost 100 meals for a person receiving food from Meals on Wheels.

fishboat
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby fishboat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 am

riley42 wrote:Like all others have said.....congrats!
I am going to present another point of view I assume will not be popular. If I were your aunt and uncle, I would have been prouder and happier if you had learned the lesson of paying it forward. That one dinner bill would provide almost 100 meals for a person receiving food from Meals on Wheels.


Congrats, but +1
$464.12 is fleeting..in fact this thread has lasted much longer than the dinner. I starved my way through self-funding, self-supporting 5 years of college. In spite of maintaining a 4.0 average, I applied for every scholarship available(trying to obtain any $ relief I could find) and didn't qualify for any of them. I would have thought I died and went to heaven if someone would have offered a $500 gift to help me get through a couple months worth of expenses. ...it's all a matter of perspective..

guitarguy
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby guitarguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:41 am

fishboat wrote:
riley42 wrote:Like all others have said.....congrats!
I am going to present another point of view I assume will not be popular. If I were your aunt and uncle, I would have been prouder and happier if you had learned the lesson of paying it forward. That one dinner bill would provide almost 100 meals for a person receiving food from Meals on Wheels.


Congrats, but +1
$464.12 is fleeting..in fact this thread has lasted much longer than the dinner. I starved my way through self-funding, self-supporting 5 years of college. In spite of maintaining a 4.0 average, I applied for every scholarship available(trying to obtain any $ relief I could find) and didn't qualify for any of them. I would have thought I died and went to heaven if someone would have offered a $500 gift to help me get through a couple months worth of expenses. ...it's all a matter of perspective..


No offense, but this holier-than-thou argument could be made anytime anyone does *anything* that costs money. That family vacation you took? Could've donated the money instead of giving your family lifelong memories. Those Christmas gifts for your kids could've gone to families with kids that don't get much instead. Your 2500 sqft house probably has some spare space that could get a person or 2 off the street and warm for the next few nights. That basket of name-brand groceries and alcohol you bought could've easily been pared down to cheaper alternatives and the difference given to meals on wheels. You get my point.

The point of this was doing something special for them specifically and create a lasting memory. It's not selfish to do so. Besides, down the road I hope we get the opportunity to pay it forward in a similar situation. Celebrating and treating ourselves in the meantime shouldn't be something to feel guilty about.

riley42
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby riley42 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am

No offense, but this holier-than-thou argument could be made anytime anyone does *anything* that costs money. That family vacation you took? Could've donated the money instead of giving your family lifelong memories. Those Christmas gifts for your kids could've gone to families with kids that don't get much instead. Your 2500 sqft house probably has some spare space that could get a person or 2 off the street and warm for the next few nights. That basket of name-brand groceries and alcohol you bought could've easily been pared down to cheaper alternatives and the difference given to meals on wheels. You get my point.

The point of this was doing something special for them specifically and create a lasting memory. It's not selfish to do so. Besides, down the road I hope we get the opportunity to pay it forward in a similar situation.


No offense taken, but I do not think it is a holier than thou attitude. My point is made by your last sentence...."Besides, down the road I hope to get the opportunity...". You already had the opportunity to pay it forward and did not, so what is going to change in the future for this "opportunity" to appear? I am not saying you should not try to make your family as happy and comfortable as possible. I am just trying to get people to be honest with themselves.....if you don't do it now, then chances are you may never pay it forward. There are always more things you can do for your family.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 1908
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby DaftInvestor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Congratulations - nice story and it was nice of you to treat your Aunt and Uncle.

(So this was for 4 people - yes? In my experience a little over $100 per person is about normal for dinner at a nice place with good food and wine. When I took an initial glance at your thread I thought that was just for you and your wife - which could also easily happen with surf&turf and nice wine but would be a bit more of a stretch. Also - I don't understand why a couple of posters said this is "fleeting" - this is the price of a nice dinner out - nothing more and nothing less).

guitarguy
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: $464.12 dinner bill last night. No regrets.

Postby guitarguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:03 pm

riley42 wrote:
No offense, but this holier-than-thou argument could be made anytime anyone does *anything* that costs money. That family vacation you took? Could've donated the money instead of giving your family lifelong memories. Those Christmas gifts for your kids could've gone to families with kids that don't get much instead. Your 2500 sqft house probably has some spare space that could get a person or 2 off the street and warm for the next few nights. That basket of name-brand groceries and alcohol you bought could've easily been pared down to cheaper alternatives and the difference given to meals on wheels. You get my point.

The point of this was doing something special for them specifically and create a lasting memory. It's not selfish to do so. Besides, down the road I hope we get the opportunity to pay it forward in a similar situation.


No offense taken, but I do not think it is a holier than thou attitude. My point is made by your last sentence...."Besides, down the road I hope to get the opportunity...". You already had the opportunity to pay it forward and did not, so what is going to change in the future for this "opportunity" to appear? I am not saying you should not try to make your family as happy and comfortable as possible. I am just trying to get people to be honest with themselves.....if you don't do it now, then chances are you may never pay it forward. There are always more things you can do for your family.


No, actually, my point isn't made because you cut off the end of my sentence. I said hopefully we get the opportunity to pay it forward "in a similar situation"...meaning...maybe one day we'll have a niece or nephew or another family member that we'll get to go out of our way to help with their college tuition. We have not yet had that opportunity.

And I do think it's a holier than thou attitude. By your logic, one would ever spend a dime on going out of their way to thank someone for something. They would simply forego thanking that person directly and give the money to charity.


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bfwolf, curmudgeon and 29 guests