Tell Me: can I use cellular wireless to stream TV with my Roku?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Tell Me: can I use cellular wireless to stream TV with my Roku?

Post by CULater »

I stay for short (3-4 month) periods at an Arizona condo. When I stay there, I currently have to go through the process of signing up with an internet service provider and then I have to cancel and repeat the process every time I come for a stay. I need internet for a VOIP google voice phone in the condo and also to stream SlingTV, Amazon Video, etc. using a Roku (I have antenna TV). Use it also for my phone to avoid using up my data. I'm totally unfamiliar with using a cellular wireless plan to accomplish all this, and at what cost. Seems like a simpler approach if there's a way to do it. Right now I'm paying $27/month for prepaid cellular phone with 3Gig of data and about $50/month for DSL internet service from CenturyLink.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Midpack

Re: Tell Me: can I use cellular wireless to stream TV with my Roku?

Post by Midpack »

Most streaming services I've seen recommend a minimum of 10 mpbs to stream 1080p, plus an added 5 mpbs per additional device. However, at least in my area DSL isn't much faster than 4G mobile, so it might be just as good as you have if I understand your situation.

I think most 4G is less than 10 mbps. Good luck, I'm sure someone else will have a better answer.
Sprint: Download: 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps, with bursts up to 10 Mbps, on Sprint's 4G WiMax network.

Verizon: Download: 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps on their LTE network.

T-Mobile: Download: 5 Mbps to 8 Mbps on their HSPA+ network.
You only live once...
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

It won't work. Mobile broadband is adequate for email, online bill paying, and a little web surfing, but streaming audio or video --including advertisements on sites-- can use up the enter month's allotment of data in an hour or three.

Even if the download speed is fast enough -- which is not usually very likely -- a single HD movie could eat up your entire month's allotment.

By the way, another killer for mobile broadband is downloading automatic updates for Windows and other software, which can eat up a month's allotment in a few minutes.

HERE is a calculator to help you estimate your usage.

You can click on any "?" in that calculator to see a good list of typical bandwidth consumed by various internet activities.

One possibility worth exploring might be T-Mobile if it has coverage where you'll be. They have a prepaid mobile broadband plan that does not charge streaming from you-tube and several other streaming services against your monthly data allotment. However, it reduces the video resolution, and is only suitable for viewing on phones, tablets, and perhaps small screen laptops. Not compatible with smart TVs.

jimb
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Check out this parallel thread on using mobile phone data for home internet.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=213395&newpost=3276433
cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic »

This is an option:

http://www.4gcommunity.org/

I use sprint 4G unlimited service to play netflix on FireTV box while away from home.
No issue, streams fine.. even 3g will work if you are patient.
Their coverage (sprint) has improved greatly.. and if the coverage is poor you are likely in a wild area and should go outside and look around likely nice.

:D

No I don't get any credit from them.

I have considered using this type of device full time to replace my home cable service ,and if/when I need to save the $60/month, I will likely make the switch.

Cellphone internet is getting better and better over time... so stay tuned.

Regards

CPU