2017 Honda CRV: anyone shopping or buying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

2017 Honda CRV: anyone shopping or buying?

Post by CULater »

I'm considering the new and improved 2017 Honda CRV, but haven't shopped or test-driven yet. Have done a lot of googling and in general the reviews seem quite favorable. However, there are a few negatives that I've run across: (1) the 1.5 L turbo engine is relatively new with unproven reliability and there might be some noticeable turbo lag to live with, (2) the turbo/CVT combination might sound somewhat whiney and over-worked under acceleration, as opposed to smooth and quiet, (3) there might be some noticeable wind noise at freeway speeds, and (4) the infotainment system might suffer from over reliance on touch screen operation with small, distracting and non user-friendly buttons - kinda like the previous generation Ford system. Just wondering if others who have driven or bought the 2017 have noticed any of these negatives or any others; and what the significant positives might be. I'm coming up with a list of important points to pay attention to when I get a chance to test drive one.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
psteinx

Re: 2017 Honda CRV: anyone shopping or buying?

Post by psteinx »

I've test driven it a couple times and liked it. There's a good chance I'll buy one at some point this year.

My recollections are a bit muddled - drove various things and so it can be hard for me to distinctively remember that vehicle X had positive/negative attribute Y. That said:

I think there WAS a bit of lag, due to the turbo, the transmission, or whatever. It won't likely be confused with a Ferrari :)

Didn't really notice wind noise, but I'm not very sensitive to this, and had minimal exposure under the relevant conditions.

I *think* it was a bit less stiff feeling (over bumps and such) than the 2016. But it's fairly hard to get a good feel for such things, especially when test driving different vehicles at different times over different routes.

I liked the infotainment system. In general, I'm an advocate of physical buttons and not too much reliance on touch screens and the like. I think this system was reasonable in that regard.

All that said, go test drive one for yourself - form your own opinions!
theta

Post by theta »

Am in a similar state as OP. You've probably already checked out the crvownersclub site, but if not, there are some informed observations over there.

I will point out that the number of features, especially on the EX-L and Touring, are mind-boggling and a little overwhelming. 3 or 4 different safety processes going on the background, to make sure you're not falling asleep, or not driving in the middle of your lane, or blind spot monitoring, or too close to the car in front, etc. It's going to take a while to learn it all. Apparently, when you move into the left lane with intent to pass, you better darned sure turn on your left signal, otherwise the car will give you a warning.

The one thing I will look for is something that has bothered me about my 2013 CRV. At night, it's really tough to see in the right quadrant when turning right onto an unlit road. I have to slow down a lot in order for the headlights to shine enough in that quadrant to show me where I'm going. The Touring CRV"s have led headlights, but I'll probably go with less-than-Touring, so it remains to be seen if this will still be an issue for the 2017 CRV.

Good luck!
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I've had a 2015 CRV Touring for a couple of years so I can't make an apples to apples comparison but can offer a few observations. I absolutely love that the GPS screen turns into a rear facing camera when the right turn signal is activated. No blind spot now. I'm not sure if this is a Touring Only option but was a big decider in buying this car. The lane departure warning option ended up being a pain and I've turned it off. The lane keeping assist is OK for occasional use but I can never trust it completely. Unless the road has been recently re-striped, it can be dicey. The adaptive cruise control has also been a disappointment. It works well but has 1 major shortcoming. If the vehicle in front of you slows down, your car also slows to keep the proper separation. Say it's set for 70 mph and he's going 60. When you pull out to pass, the engine revs like crazy trying to immediately get back to 70 mph. Overall it's a pretty decent car but certainly not perfect.
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

reference
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

LifeIsGood wrote:I've had a 2015 CRV Touring for a couple of years so I can't make an apples to apples comparison but can offer a few observations. I absolutely love that the GPS screen turns into a rear facing camera when the right turn signal is activated. No blind spot now. I'm not sure if this is a Touring Only option but was a big decider in buying this car. The lane departure warning option ended up being a pain and I've turned it off. The lane keeping assist is OK for occasional use but I can never trust it completely. Unless the road has been recently re-striped, it can be dicey. The adaptive cruise control has also been a disappointment. It works well but has 1 major shortcoming. If the vehicle in front of you slows down, your car also slows to keep the proper separation. Say it's set for 70 mph and he's going 60. When you pull out to pass, the engine revs like crazy trying to immediately get back to 70 mph. Overall it's a pretty decent car but certainly not perfect.
I've had the same concerns about driver assistive technology. About the only thing that seems useful is the emergency autonomous braking, but I have questions about that firing off when I don't expect it. I know I don't need lane departure warning and lane keeping assist at all, and don't really want adaptive cruise either -- I tried a demo ride on a freeway and when I took an exit the thing sped up because I wasn't following a car anymore. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a 2017 CRV that doesn't have the whole package unless maybe the base model.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

We recently shopped a replacement for our 2006 CRV. It came down to a new CRV or a Subaru Forester. In both cases we were looking at base models, as we are Luddites when it comes to automotive high-tech.

However the deciding factor was visibility. The shape of the rear quarter and the visibility looking in that direction is much better in the Forester, and that was the deciding factor.

(That said, the Forester had a major transmission fail at 1400 miles, spent 2 weeks while they tried to figure it out, and now has a whole bunch of replacement tranny bits! You just can't win!)
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I would cross shop with the RAV4. If you need serious AWD capability I would also look at the Outback.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Looked at one, but went with a Forester instead.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I haven't looked closely at the new CRV. I will tell you, I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and have been very happy with it. The new version comes out this month. Worth checking out. The CRV is a certainly good vehicle. I preferred the styling and road feel of the CX-5. I wanted to avoid something that everybody has. Unfortunately, the CX-5 has become popular and now I am seeing them more and more.
smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 »

Just out of curiosity I went on True Car today and put in a pseudo phone number but included one of my email addresses. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a CRV and here is the offer that was made to me. I think I'm going to pass but based on a little research I've done it looks pretty solid.
No worries at all! We're out of '16s, so I'm glad you're looking at the '17. Listed below would be the breakdown, as if you're paying cash:
2017 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Sale Price:$26,618
Gov't Fees:$442.75 (Includes registration for full year)
Taxes:$1,750.17
Documentation Fee(You'll pay this at any dealer in MN):$75
Grand Total: $28,885.92
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I also looked at it and ended up with the Forester.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
homerj15

Post by homerj15 »

I just helped my mother n law pick up a new 2016 CRV base model for under $21k. Can't go wrong with a Honda in my opinion. Although we did test drive the Mazdas and they were very impressive.
researcher

Post by researcher »

michaeljc70 wrote:I haven't looked closely at the new CRV. I will tell you, I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and have been very happy with it. The new version comes out this month. Worth checking out. The CRV is a certainly good vehicle. I preferred the styling and road feel of the CX-5.
THIS.

I went to my Honda dealer this morning to check out the CRV and left underwhelmed. Exterior styling is ugly, with lots of black plastic cladding and fake plastic chrome strips. Interior also looked/felt quite cheap. Hard plastics on the doors/dash and fake plastic imitation wood.

It's not at dealership yet, but watch a few youtube videos of the 2017 Mazda CX-5, and it seems to excel in nearly all areas. Exterior and interior styling are unquestionably much better. It comes with a conventional 6-speed transmission (versus the CVT) and naturally aspirated engine (versus a turbo). Lots of other technology/safety/convenience features.

I wouldn't buy anything until you look at the CX-5. It should be at dealerships in the next few weeks.
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

I recently spent a fair amount of time researching the 2017 CRV. I share your concern about the new 1.5 turbo. The turbo lag is real and very annoying. I really liked a lot about the CRV. The seats were comfortable, the infotainment system was laid out nicely(they brought back the on/off/volume button) and although it didn't handle quite as good as the Ford Escape it felt good. In the end I purchased a Subaru Outback as the CRV being all new for this year scared me off. Also had a hard time getting anyone to deal on the CRV, Subaru had 0% financing.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

CULater wrote:I'm considering the new and improved 2017 Honda CRV, but haven't shopped or test-driven yet. (1) the 1.5 L turbo engine is relatively new with unproven reliability and there might be some noticeable turbo lag to live with, (2) the turbo/CVT combination might sound somewhat whiney and over-worked under acceleration, as opposed to smooth and quiet, (3) there might be some noticeable wind noise at freeway speeds, and (4) the infotainment system might suffer from over reliance on touch screen operation with small, distracting and non user-friendly buttons - kinda like the previous generation Ford system.
We are owners of a new Molten Lava 2017 CR-V Touring. Over the years, we have leased and driven 2010, 2012, and 2013 versions of EX & EX-L models as well.

Your satisfaction with the 2017 model, will partly depend on what you are used to driving. We find the 2017 noticeable quieter and smoother on the highway than any other CR-V model we owned. CR-V power train as have never been gutsy. They are closer to being family station-wagons than true 'utility' vehicles. The 2017 is no power-house either, and acceleration is about an par with prior models. Is is fine for our purposes, but if you are used to driving BMW's or F-150 pick-ups you are going to be disappointed. Our use is grocery store runs and 3 hr road trips to nearby cities. Power train has not been an issue at all.

Entertainment system is not distracting at all. You can control it all with voice if you want. Steering wheel controls are all I ever use.

Wind noise is much less than any other CR-V year model we drove.

We *love* our 2017 Touring. Best CR-V we have owned - hands-down. Extremely good value for what we paid. No negative surprises so far.
Make sure you study the model differences closely. Touring has a few exclusive options I would not want to up like: better audio with sub woofer, hands-free lift gate, auto-driver's seat position memory, and a few others.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions about the 2017.
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

We have a 2012 crv. The main reason we picked it is that it had the largest cargo capacity in its class. If the new one is still the largest in that area, that can be an important consideration for some people.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

BHUser27 wrote:...
Your satisfaction with the 2017 model, will partly depend on what you are used to driving. We find the 2017 noticeable quieter and smoother on the highway than any other CR-V model we owned. CR-V power train as have never been gutsy. They are closer to being family station-wagons than true 'utility' vehicles. The 2017 is no power-house either, and acceleration is about an par with prior models. Is is fine for our purposes, but if you are used to driving BMW's or F-150 pick-ups you are going to be disappointed. Our use is grocery store runs and 3 hr road trips to nearby cities. Power train has not been an issue at all.

Entertainment system is not distracting at all. You can control it all with voice if you want. Steering wheel controls are all I ever use.

Wind noise is much less than any other CR-V year model we drove.
We have a 2004 CR-V. Do you think the 2017 Touring CRV is loads quieter or just a bit quieter? I'm thinking of the occasional times we gone on longer road trips where 8 hours of driving in a noisy car can be a bit tiring. Our 2004 CRV is noisier in the 2002 Toyota Camry. We don't drive that much so cars last forever here in California.

I believe the Touring version has leather heated seats. My wife is spoiled a bit :happy and loves those heated seats in the winter.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

BlueEars wrote:We have a 2004 CR-V. Do you think the 2017 Touring CRV is loads quieter or just a bit quieter?
In my opinion, and in a non-instrumented test drive, the 2017 is definitely much quieter, and that's on Hankook tires. I have a 2008 CR-V with Michelin tires, and it's much quieter than that as well. Also, there's less drone from the torquier turbo engine. The Touring model allegedly has more sound deadening.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

"We have a 2004 CR-V. Do you think the 2017 Touring CRV is loads quieter or just a bit quieter?
I believe the Touring version has leather heated seats."

Our 2014 CRV is much quieter than our 2006 CRV , the 2014 has heated front leather seats and it is not a touring model it is an "L".
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

BlueEars wrote: We have a 2004 CR-V. Do you think the 2017 Touring CRV is loads quieter or just a bit quieter?
I believe the Touring version has leather heated seats.
I currently drive a 2013 EX-L. I *immediately* noticed the difference in road noise and wind noise when driving the 2017 Touring - it is definitely quieter. Ride is *noticeably* smoother as well. I bought the Touring for DW.

"Loads quieter" is subjective - go test drive one on familiar roads right after driving your 2004 on same.

Yes, Touring has heated leather - works very well.

I think 2017 is first CR-V year with Honda's ANC (Active Noise cancellation) in the audio system as well.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

I'm concerned about this comment from one reviewer. Can anybody comment?
controls for audio, navigation and other systems are cumbersome. The touch screen is too slow and many of the touch points are too small for easy use in a moving vehicle. The result is too much time with the driver looking at the touch screen rather than the road.
rupalb9

Post by rupalb9 »

I am in the market for a 2017 Honda CR-V (EX or above).
Questions for those who have purchased a CR-V:
1. What might have made you choose to go with trim higher than EX?
2. Which trim level did you end up buying and how much off MSRP were you able to get?

Thank you.
Toons

Post by Toons »

A few negative reviews.
Nothing is "perfect".
2015 EX-L here no qualms,enjoy it .
Touch screen,pandora integrated.
Will trade for a 2018 EX-L when available :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

For those thinking about buying a CR-V, I highly recommend spending some time at the 'CR-V Owners Club' forum. It has numerous discussions about picking trim levels, pricing, etc.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

We just bought a 2017 Honda CRV ex-l last month. We test drove the Rav 4, Forrester, and Mazda CX-5 (I think that's the right number). My husband liked the way the CRV looked compared to the others and felt like the features included for the price were a better deal. We are also pretty loyal to Honda and Toyota (we keep our cars for at least 10yrs) and the Rav was pricey.

Now that he's had it a month the only complaint has been that it is loud on the highway. The touch screen took some getting used to but he likes it now. It has driven well in the icy and snowy weather. Honestly after not having a new car in 11yrs he's probably pretty easily impressed. :)
Last edited by Isabelle77 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

rupalb9 wrote: 1. What might have made you choose to go with trim higher than EX?
2. Which trim level did you end up buying and how much off MSRP were you able to get?
1. For DW, hands-free tailgate was the main reason for Touring over EX-L. I liked the added trim bling and better audio system. We both wanted the new Garmin-based Navigaton as well. (Could have cared less about factory Nav in prior year-models.)

2. MSRP, plus dealer threw in splash guards and all-weather mats and gave us $2K over highest KBB on our trade.